Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
i replied to your other thread
Old 05-08-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
time for a good, old-fashioned update:

i got to work on my buss-bars today (yes, on mother's day. don't worry, i did the whole brunch thing)

drilled out the new bar. the old one has half a 10-32 tap in it

taped the holes

1 down, 1 to go

done!

also had to thread my new j-bolts for the battery

moved some stuff around, took some stuff out (for now)

general layout of everything

found a label maker at a yard sale, for a buck

Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for your e-fan swap. you are looking for a t-stat housing with the sensor spot?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:52 PM
RBX

What are the bus bars for? I figure future mods....
Old 05-08-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by twistedyota
for your e-fan swap. you are looking for a t-stat housing with the sensor spot?
[IMG]
not anymore, thanks though
Originally Posted by RBX
What are the bus bars for? I figure future mods....
one positive, one negative. i want to be able to connect high-current items without splicing. also, the blue sea fuse box is going to be on a high-amp relay, so i don't have to install a relay for each individual device

i'll be finishing it up next weekend, and then it's on to the fan swap. then fixing up the trailer a bit.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:16 AM
RBX

are you going to cover/protect the high power(positive) bus bar? plan?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 AM

yep. that's what the off-white box is for. i'll be attaching it to the inside with nylon hardware, sealing with goop. the metal screws from the mounting structure will be on the sides of the bottom of the box, and won't enter the inside. i will have to think of some way to make the wires enter and exit, but i think i'll just drill holes as needed

i'll take a bunch of pics next weekend as i build the structures
Old 05-09-2011, 05:31 AM
RBX

i'd like to discuss your concept more indepth at some point. Getting another perspective may help me settle on a game plan. Wiring is something you will always be messig with on vehicles of this type/purpose. If i could add all the goodies right this second, i would have probably come up with a system that was usable, but not user friendly...wanna add lights, tear apart, solder, tape, repeat....wanna add a fridge, OBA, winch...again,tear apart, solder, tape, repeat... i want a system that is modificationally(made that word up) friendly.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 AM

yeah, that's basically what i'm doing. stay tuned 'til the end, and i think a lot of your questions should be answered.

for this mod, i did have to move the ignition coil/pack to lower on the fender, and i'll be mounting all the hardware to existing mounting points. there's a few more parts i need to order, so i need to get on that

and on a side note: i went yard-sale-ing this weekend. spent a total of $15. everything is probably worth $500...
i got a plasma sphere for a buck, some dikes and spark plug boot pliers, a label maker, window air conditioning for $2, and an aviation gps for $10. suh-weet. the a/c is going in the trailer, sphere in my room, and tools in the truck. pics later
Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Ian, ...

For the wire in/out's, they make great grommets for those, some with weatherproofed enter/exits where you can heat up a lil and it oozes stuff and shrinks, lol. Maybe that'd work?

PS> GREAT FINDS!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Ian, ...

For the wire in/out's, they make great grommets for those, some with weatherproofed enter/exits where you can heat up a lil and it oozes stuff and shrinks, lol. Maybe that'd work?
i thought about it, but i'm going to be adding and removing stuff, so i don't want anything permanent. i might make a "hood" over the hole(s), though. thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
...PS> GREAT FINDS!
i saw the gps sitting there... heeelloooo ... it wasn't marked, so i asked the guy, "how much for the 10-year-old gps?" to which he replied, "eh, ten bucks." it was hard to keep a straight face after paying $12 bucks for $500 worth of stuff
yard sales rock
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 AM
RBX

stupid job, won't let me see pictures!!

On a water proofing note...
Unless you have a componant that has complete circuitry(positive and negative contained inside) moisture/water should only affect corrosive materials. It is a best practice to allow water/moisture to 'dry-out' after a dunking. Notice that Toyota doesn't make underhood fuseboxes that are water proof?
If you make a waterproof box, it may not allow moisture to escape once it is inside, and corrosion will be accelarated.
This isn't a blanket statement for everything, notice how your alternator doesn't care how deep a pubdle or water crossing is.

Just sayin...

Last edited by RBX; 05-09-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 AM

yep, yep, and yep. drainage/ventilation holes all around. i'm going to have to re-position the buss bar inside the box because of the terminal lugs, but it'll still work the way i intended. the waterproof box is meant to keep me from dropping tools and shorting something out
Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Good point, RB! Heck, .... use enough dielectric grease and non corrosive contacts, ...you should be fine, just with a good spot on top for evaporation, right? I mean,....if you end up taking a swim that deep, as deep as it would take to submerge that set up....yeah, I don't think it would be your biggest concern, right? lol. HEY, that reminds me,....is a snorkel in the works anytime soon? hehehe.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM

snorkel? i wish! if i did that, i'd have to buy a new fender to use, so i don't damage my dad's (legally, it's his). heck, who knows. maybe i'll get to it after this mod is done, the fan is in, the other seat installed, i get a center console, i fix up the trailer, and get bj spacers
Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Woot! "Snorkel'n Ian, ..... Come see his MOD'I'FIED 93 Yota, only today, .... he's got a Snorkel, Bus Bars, Alternators out of GM's, 14 Batteries, OBA, hovercraft capabilities,......" ok, I'm getting off the mark there, lol. Awesome, Ian, ... really admire your ''adventurous" and "practical application" type ambitions!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 AM

that made my day! thanks mark!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:04 PM

My pleasure, Homie! lol.

BTW, .. updated my thread a bit, couple posts back, regarding what I've found, whom I've found, etc. lol. I FINALLY found a machinist that's going to make this all right on the CHEAP, out of a favor for my neighbor(another GREAT GUY!)... No matter what, ....this thing will be PURRING, for SURE, next time I pull it out of the garage! haha. I swear, Ian,.... I can't IMAGINE how far I'd be with this rig if I'd not been CHASING MY FREAKIN TAIL FOR A YEAR! lol. Heck, ...even then, I got SOME good stuff done, eh? hahaha.

Have a good'n, Ian,....can't wait to see what's next! lol.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 PM

jeeze, mark! what a year this has been for ya! highs and lows... glad about the machine work, too bad about the block. j-b weld should work just fine haha! i know, never in a million years. it's not the end of the world, so i know you'll get it right back to where you want it. i'm rootin' for ya

meanwhile, in virginia:
i picked up a can of sea-foam. i don't think i let it sit long enough, or put enough in, but it didn't give me the satisfying leak-detecting smoke. but i did find a major leak. the exact same spot as the last one: where the down-pipe meets my extension pipe. i thought i got it . oh well, i guess i'll hafta break out the 14mm tomorrow morning . other than that, all is well. still need to take care of a small tick, but i'll be spending a majority of my weekend working on the buss-bar stuff.

and on a side note, in reference to the size of bolts chosen:

> 10-32 for the smaller accessories
-- smallest hole size that accepts larger gauge wire
-- about .5 inches outside diameter. since i have 2 of them across a 1" bar, it works out
-- easy to find hardware
> 3/8-16 for the battery, alternator, etc.
-- same size as side-post battery terminals. meaning i can add "charging terminals" if needed later
-- reasonable size for larger gauge wire
-- with a 3/8 inch hole drilled, the buss-bar has about the same cross-sectional area as 8/0 cable

Last edited by irab88; 05-09-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Ian....did you use new nuts on that down pipe connection? I did not and mine leaks there.

Quick Reply: irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread