86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dutchbelly's 1988 4runner Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear about the headgasket again if that is what it is. Knock on wood I havent had a head gasket to fail after an install. I have read about it happening several times and can only imagine the frustration.

Do you suspect the brand of head gasket? I had one to fail shortly after I bought the truck. I cant prove it but one of the head bolts was finger tight. I wonder if the PO didnt get all of the fluid out of the bolt hole before installing the head bolt. Really check to see if it doesnt have a little fluid in the bottom and not letting it get torqued completely.

Also Toyota went from 58 foot pounds to 60 something. I go to 65 foot pounds to be on the safe side. Even at 58, I cant see it letting it fail so soon.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ooops, sorry man.... Water jacket.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not actually very surprised, and I'm hoping it is the head gasket, because after I pull it apart to find out, I'll need a new one either way, lol. Its what I get for using an engine that sat dry on a floor since 1997. It came with the truck though, so its just time, not really money that I'll be out. I have no clue what brand headgasket has been used, the PO said the timing chain had been swapped out on the engine, because that is what failed on the original engine, so I know the engine has at least been partially been taken apart, but I don't really know the history of this engine at all. I'm just thankful it's not my daily driver, and I have all the time in the world.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a nice feeling on a build.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Any updates on this build?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 AM

Hey guys. Really long time since I updated my thread. The last six months have been crazy for me. The wife and I bought a property closer to both our jobs which meant I needed to finish renovating the old house to out it on the market. Long story short: we worked our butts off, moved to the new house, and sold the old house. I then spent a couple months getting settled, and ripping out a lot of stuff from my new shop. Something happened to my computer during the move so I haven't been able to even post a word on this thread. I bought an ipad though so hopefully this will suffice for now. The silver lining to all this chaos is now I have my own little space, and this week I trailered the 4runner to it from my father in laws shop. I'm hoping to start putting in time on it again now that its close by. I'm going to need a head gasket and head bolts. Would you guys suggest I just go to Toyota for these? I've heard bad reviews on the head gaskets sold by engnbldr
Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Glad to hear you got a house closer to work and a shop. Getting settled into a new place is time consuming in itself. I have reused my headbolts in the past if they were in good condition. May not be adviseable, but has worked for me. I would get the headgasket from Toyota if I wasnt sure of another brand.

I just got done rebuilding another motor and it has an engblr headgasket on it. I hope I dont go thru the same situation. Guess I will find out in the near future on its durability.

Having your truck at the house will make it alot more accessible to working on it. I know what it is like having to go some great distance to work on one. It increases repair time alottttt.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 PM

I hear you on reno's taking time away from truck stuff.

I'm at the tail end of mine. Managed to sell the house before it was complete and not even on sale. We have an awesome agent who is an old hussler. She is one of the top sales reps in Canada.

Only a few weeks until we move out so I just ordered a new bumper.

Time to go on another trip.

How is the Ontario market? I'm pretty excited to live back in BC. We will not be moving to Vancouver. I like the country I also love country housing prices.

Yellowknife is super expensive. I just sold my place for 600k and it still needs new siding and bathroom updates. Done everything else just about. New kitchen, paint baseboards, roof and some new windows.

I do wish we had done it right away instead of at the end of our time here. We loved living here.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 PM

I think I will likely try to reuse the head bolts. I will try to remember to call toyota and order a gasket tomorrow. I still have tons to do on the house before winter but I don't want to keep pushing off the build either. We kinda did the same thing you did with your house, red. We fixed it up just in time to move out. And now we are starting over again with the new house. Really love this property though. I greatly prefer living in the country.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome back.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats on the new property
Old 09-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Dutch, isn't it a bit of a piss off working your butt off and not get to enjoy it. Ah well.

Your settled into the new place now right? If so are you doing some renos right away?

I will be gutting my next place immediately so I get to enjoy it this time. Kitchen and at least one bathroom depending on funds.

We too will be looking at country living. After living in the town in the middle of nowhere I can't go back to the city. Too many bloody people around all the time. I love to visit on the weekend instead.

Your new place have a shed or garage? I think I'd like a detached workshop. This way I can keep the missus from dumping crap in it like everyone does in my current garage or not putting MY tools back.

Freaking hate that.

Are head bolts really expensive? I've read that it's not good to reuse them. I'm sure you know that already. I've never pulled mine.

Is it just that once you torque them they stretch and will not allow proper re-torquing?

Edit//

Went back a page to see if you put house photos up. I forgot how awesome your house looks.

I got new windows installed here, I could feel an immediate difference.

I also got an insulated garage door. My garage was -40 just like outside first winter here.

I love Canadian winter but boy does it show the flaws in your investment. Hopefully you get the insulation stuff sorted out before the winter to save on heating cost.

Heating oil where you are or you on hydro?

__

Last edited by Red Wagon; 09-12-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Name:  null_zpsb61a5c1b.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  140.5 KB
Not a ton of room but its all mine. Love it.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 PM

Hey red. All I'm doing to the house this year is swapping out the oil furnace with a combo wood/oil setup. I'm going to just put insulation in the steel garage door this year as a band aid fix. The Reno process will likely start next year.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dutch! Sup buddy? .... She sure looks sexy in her slot there! Lotsa room, too!

Good,...no, GREAT to see ya posting, in whatever capacity...
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

You got alot of room there. Sure beats working outside and on the ground. I remember those days. I have a 2 bay garage and a 4 or 8 bay wouldnt be big enough if had it my way but you having your runner there will make it so much nicer. You have insulation and electric in your shop. That is another great benefit. Like you said it is YOURS!!! Congratulations. Glad to see you back.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Insulation in the door will help. Maybe you could find a second hand oil drip stove to throw in there for winter wrenching.

I couldn't do ANYTHING in my garage during my first winter other than use it as a secondary freezer. Unfortunately my living room is over my garage.

Second winter was much better.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 AM

Name:  a57e36f15381d96cce4497796d97524a_zpsca850bd3.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  155.4 KB
This is what I have for the winter. I love wood stoves.

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 09-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM

Oh sweet!!!

That will be a nice spot to have a couple after some winter wrenching for sure. Now you need a comfy chair in there and a small bar fridge.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Name:  2b5c7af6325852fe06e9513dc68e3add_zps6bbf6c32.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  107.5 KB

Chair could be better but the fridge will do just fine.

Quick Reply: Dutchbelly's 1988 4runner Build-up