86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dutchbelly's 1988 4runner Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the thread, Smokejumper. I have a cousin that lives up near Yellowknife, someday I need to visit and find out what it REALLY means to live in the north. Farthest north I've been is Northern Ontario, at the father in law's hunt camp. Cheers.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Hey dutch been wondering about ya. Glad to hear your still makeing progress, I totally understand all the new parts as mine has kinda been the same way. I know it probably seems like its takeing forever but hey you've got way more done in less time then I have lol. Hope all is well with you and yours. Keep after it we'll wait haha.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOOT, Dutch is back! aha... Great to hear it's working out for ya... Can't tell you how many buddies I have that aren't working/barely working.... All skilled dudes! Sad But at least MOST are working.. and it's VERY good to hear that you're seemingly moving up the ladder!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad to see you Dutchbelly. Sounds like you are liking your new job and getting things back to where you want to be. After I got laid off several years ago it turned my world upside down. With some determination, you can get things in better shape then what you had. The peace of mind is worth it in the long run.

Beeding the clutch line can take alot. I seen some others and myself beginning to wonder if they were ever going to firm up. Glad to see you .
Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dutch, I am a BC boy (Surrey) and just got back to Canada after 8 years. I moved to the North from Western Australia as the Australian missus bagged a transfer to get me home. We both work in mining. Even she loves it up here cold and all. The North is absolutely amazing.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 08-17-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM

those slave cylinders and masters can be a bear i had a truck that every time i replaced one my luck would make me replace the other one in the parking lot of whatever parts store i could find. any way glad to hear you are making progress.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Dutch:
Glad to see you back at it...I know what it's like not to have time for your projects.
Soon I will soon be able to put a lot of effort in mine...retiring in 2 months!
I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Hi Dutchbelly, I'm sorry to jack your killer thread... I need a favor, can you get the part number off of your VSV (circled in blue) for me please? Thank you!

Last edited by Green 88; 10-29-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: (circled in blue)
Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 PM

It's ALIVE!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 PM

I'll try to remember to take a look next time I'm out there, Green. Just so you know VSV and pretty much everything else you see has been transplanted from the original '88 engine onto this one. Injectors, sensors, you name it. This one is what I believe is an '83 celica engine. Which is why I was so happy I actually got it running, with the help of a guy from work who used to be a mechanic. He's very good at diagnostics. I am not. Still needs the timing done but I'm impressed by how smoothly it runs. I was expecting it to take much more work.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 PM

This is not build related, but I had the chance to try out the Tundra at towing a good size trailer this weekend. I've pulled a lot of trailers with a lot of trucks over the years, and I'd have to say I'm impressed with the Tundra. I helped my sister move a load of furniture with a trailer I borrowed from a buddy:

I'd go so far as to say it was my best experience pulling a sizable trailer with any gas powered truck I've driven. Lots of pulling power, and a very solid feel on the road, but I paid for it with copious amounts of fuel. I think economy would have been better if it wasn't a van trailer, I was under 12 miles per gallon driving highway speeds the whole way. If I had to tow on a regular basis I'd probably still lean towards a cummings diesel, just for the difference in what I'd have paid in fuel, but I'm very pleased with the performance; this is definitely the right truck for my needs.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 PM

I love my diesel for pulling I probably dont pull enough with it to justify haveing it but eeh it makes a good daily driver to. your tundra is a sharp truck by the way.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 AM

Thanks Jason, I really do love the look of the Tundra, as well. I'm really on the edge of my seat waiting for the redesigned 2014 Tundra, if history is continued with the brand, every 7 years seems to be the norm. There's a few things I'm really hoping for, bigger gas tank being one, and a few things I'm hoping against, like electric steering. Glad to still have you reading my thread, I know I've been away for too long. Hoping to have the project truck moving in the next week or so. On a side note, you had a regular tailgate on your 4runner for a bit, do the trucks from the time have tailgates that bolt right on? I'm thinking a regular tailgate might be better, I'm likely only running this project truck offroad in season, even if I do license it so I can go on the road between logging cuts up north.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM

On a side note, you had a regular tailgate on your 4runner for a bit, do the trucks from the time have tailgates that bolt right on? I'm thinking a regular tailgate might be better, I'm likely only running this project truck offroad in season, even if I do license it so I can go on the road between logging cuts up north.
nope the p/u tailgate is shorter and thinner and the hinges mount to the floor, it wasnt hard to throw somthing together to mount it and get it working. Im sure with you fab skills you could do a better job than I did. but really you dont plan on driving yours after all this work?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dude, nice Tundy!

Just stopping in.. I know you're not full on active on here again... I can relate hahaha...

BUT, I'm heading back in, FULL FORCE! .... Wanted to see what's up and what the plans are.......................... ???
Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Hey Mark, I sure can't promise being back at the project in full force, I'm just trying to get back to a point where I'm at least making some progress even every other week or so. Right now the next step is going to be throwing the rear brake drums on, I had them off so the truck would be easier to push by hand. Then I need to get a seat mounted, about 50% of the original bolts for the front seats snapped when I took the seats out, so that could be interesting. After I have a seat in the thing, I want to do the timing and hopefully see if the thing is mobile. I'm hoping all that will get done next weekend, I have a thermostat and a new set of sparkplugs coming to me as well. The next step after that will be repairing the floor panels. The body as a whole is in really good shape but the floor panels have rotted a bit. I need to get the father in laws mig welder set up with c02/argon gas to weld new panels in. I have no experience welding sheet metal, so that is going to be interesting. After the floor panels are in I'm going to pull the seats again and spray bedliner in all the way from under the dash to back to the tailgate. The same stuff I used for under the body. After that It's putting it back together for a paint job. The list goes on and on from there but at that point I should have a truck, instead of a shell of a truck.

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 12-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Dutchbelly, glad to see you back and cant believe I missed your recent post. I know how things go with a job change and then the free times isnt quite as available. One of my friends has a cab and a half Tundra like yours, and he does a lot of towing with it and some heavy hauls at that. Those trucks are set up well, you wont be disappoined.

I am hoping for a welder here soon so as I can start to learn how to do sheet metal as well. Your truck has come along ways from where it was and you have done some serious work so when done, you will have something to be proud of and should be.

Drop by when you get the chance, always look forward to seeing you on, but understand other things have to take place as well. You are making progress and you will get there, just dont give up hope.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM

Dutch toyota sheet metal =PIA LOL. its some thin stuff even the floors.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Dutch toyota sheet metal =PIA LOL. its some thin stuff even the floors.
That's what I was guessing, I'll have my work cut out for me. Like the new avatar pic by the way, Truck looks great. And thanks for the kind words Terry, it feels good to be working on the truck again, even if it's not as much work as I'd like.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM

I tried to look for a part number on that vsv when I was at the farm today, Green, but I didn't see any number on it, it's pretty rusty. Was back to work on the truck after weeks of inactivity, put the rear drums on, tried to get the timing done, but it's running really rough. I'm pretty sure I have some vacuum lines to plug/connect before getting this running smooth, and I'm thinking a bunch of fresh gas is in order. I've also bought a new set of spark plugs, and a new thermostat that needs to go in. I did have it moving, but not very far, the rear drums fit so darn tight on the shoes that I think i need to wear the shoes down a bit. The drums and shoes are brand new, with new hardware kits, I'm hoping thats why they're so snug. I had it in the air, and one side was spinning, but the other side is so darn tight it's crazy.

Quick Reply: Dutchbelly's 1988 4runner Build-up