86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dutchbelly's 1988 4runner Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Man Emu, Body Lift Kit and Bushing Kits

Those are all good tips Hadmatt. I haven't thrown out the old seals or done the 2nd side yet, so I'll have to start writing numbers down. The bearings and races all looked great, so I'll be reusing them, and I took care to keep the bearings and hubs on the same sides as they came off to ensure the same bearings went into their matching races.

In other news, I took a 4+hr round trip to National 4wd and picked up what they had gotten in for me.

They had told me on the phone that all they were waiting on was the torsion bars, and they lied. They were also waiting on the bushings for one of the leaf springs and it's shackle, which really annoys me. Why would I drive that far to be able to put in all the shocks and only one leaf spring. I was expecting to be able to put together almost all of my suspension after this trip, and I strongly doubt I'll ever use this company again. Theres another thing, they only sent me two of these:

They're for inside the leaf spring bushings, but why wouldn't they send six? Am I supposed to reuse the ones in the rear shackles? If so why would they have included new bushings for them but not enough of those? Confuses me, and kinda makes me wish I'd sprung for the greaseable shackles, but considering the rest of their performance I probably would only have one shackle, too. And what's up with the zip ties? If you look at the pics there are two zip ties, one came in each front shock box. I'll have to look on some old man emu sites, I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be throwing them on the shock boots or something. Anyways, it's been a long day, I'm glad to have all this stuff despite wishing I had those other bushings.

Jump to next OME post>>

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 07-16-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sucks when all the parts you need don't show up and the zip ties are for the bottom of the shock boots.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I seen your $100 dollars worth of parts. It doesnt take long especially when it is just lines. I have to bite the bullet for $22 dollar tool to get a stripped bolt that I just cant get to with out it.

That bushing, is that something you could fab up? You get all of them parts on that frame, its going to be better then new. Once I find a good company, I tend to stay with them. Sometimes it might cost more, but can reduce headaches.

Im looking forward to the day I get to do what you are doing. You have made alot of progress and moving quick even with the delays of parts. Great job.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:50 AM

Wow all the pretty yellow LOL, I you decide the color is just to much to over come I'd be happy to take it off your hands man. Seriously tho You have to be happy knowing that your gonna be riding on OME suspension. Thanks for all the brake and bearing info that's my next progect after I figure out the not running issue.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:56 PM

Yeah it's a lot of yellow. I thought about painting them, but then didn't bother. Here are a couple comparison pics:

Thicker, longer, and much more difficult to compress than the old worn out factory shocks. I found the best way to get the bushings into the eyelets was to put the bushings underneath, and then apply pressure down on the eyelet. By downward pressure I mean my foot. Just take care not to put pressure on the shock itself, just the eyelet.

And a pic of them installed:

If I had the bushings I would have installed the leaf springs, too, but I finished cleaning the 2nd front hub instead.

Jump to next OME post>>

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 07-16-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:23 PM

mellow yellow
Old 06-27-2011, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Looking good. You are moving right along.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 PM

Hello is anybody here hello, just checking in Dutch hope all is well with you.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hellooooo, hellooooo, helloooooooooooo?????>......... lol.... I, too, and testing my echo in this VERY strange circumstance that is, 'NO POSTINGS FROM DUTCH DAY'! lol Hope you're well..... Can't remember, did you say you were heading out for a few days? I'll check back, as always,..... Saw a post and got my hopes up... THANKS ALOT, JASON! hahaha. JK
Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 PM

Hey, wait a minute..... Can't believe I didn't see the update on the shocks, etc., ....LOOKS GREAT! Excited for you, man, ..... I think you're on the cusp of TAKE OFF SPEED! You know, ...that point when it goes from crawllllllling to POOOOOOOOF, what just happened?????? hahaha.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 PM

Stuff kinda hit hold. I'm waiting on bushings for the suspension and waiting on suspension before i put brake lines in and still searching for a new fuel tank. I also need new rear bump stops. so i'm stuck playing the waiting game.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:39 PM

Whew was just worried about ya buddy sorry about ya having to wait on parts, if I'd have known how hard these fuel tanks were to find I'd have pulled the one outa my parts truck before I let it go, wouldn't help you but might have somebody else.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 PM

No worries Jason, I'm just dandy, just have sore ankles because I'm kicking myself for not ordering rear bump stops. If I swap out the rear leafs even without the bushings (and put the bushings in later) I could have put in all the brake lines. Right now I could only put in a few brake lines until the rear leafs get swapped because the lines go right over them. Problem is the bump stops are crap and I don't want to have to pop the u bolts after I put in the brake lines, and there's no point in putting the rear leafs in without bushings if it doesn't mean I can make progress on something else. So this is my first real moment of being on hold, and I'm not liking it.

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 07-01-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Small update: ordered new bump stops, they should be in monday, which means I can swap out the rear leaf springs with my Old Man Emu ones, albeit without new bushings in the shackles. This would allow me to run all the brake lines across the rear axle etc as well. I also finally had a reply from the guy that's parting out the '95. He'll sell me the front and rear diff's for 200 bucks if I remove them, and I figure that's as good a deal as I'll get. They're factory 4pinion diffs with 4.56 gears, which I'd think would be perfect for my truck. I'll have to see if I have time to drive down there this weekend.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 AM

That is a smoking deal on those diffs hope your able to get them picked up. Glad to hear you're gonna be making progress again soon.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 AM

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? ..... that is a SMOKIN deal! Man,... you gonna lock em before you slap em in? Or just the rear maybe? Wow, 200$ for 4.56's, I don't care if you had to pull those AND INSTALL HIS NEW ONES FOR HIM, ...still a good deal! lol. Nice find!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:20 PM

I'm not sure if I'll be putting the diff's in right after I get them, or waiting until I get a locker. Probably just lock the rear, and leave the front diff open. I've read good things about a few different auto lockers, but need to do more research and wait until I can afford one. I also found out today that the bump stops for the rear leafs are no longer sold at the dealer, so I'm thinking I'll see if I can buy the bump stops off the guy I'm getting the diffs from, and maybe make a trip out there this weekend. Still kinda on hold, waiting for all kinds of parts.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 PM

I feel ya! Stinks being on the 'HURRY UP AND.........WAIT!' front, eh?

Still loving this project.... can't wait to be watching your next 'STEP'!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 AM

Just checking in dutch, totally understand the waiting game, sucks but it will all be worth it in the end. Hope everything else is good with you and yours
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 AM

As stated previously I'm kinda playing the waiting game for some parts before I can continue on the truck. I do have some small updates, however.

Finally found time at work to fit up my transfer case crossmember. It's just tacked in a couple spots for now. If everything fits up nicely when I try to put the tranny and engine back on the frame, I'll weld it up solid then. Better safe than sorry. I also took some time to go buy some parts I'll be needing later on:

Two fuel filters, two oil filters, the four gaskets I needed for my front hubs and four cone washers. It was unbelievably expensive for this small amount of parts. Any guesses? While I was at the dealership I took a walk around to see if I could find any of the new 4runners to snoop at. I didn't see any but I did find this in the one showroom:

Kinda crap photos through the glass, but that's one very nice looking cruizer. They wanted $8400 for it, which struck me as a pretty good deal, but not good enough for my limited budget.

Jump to next drivetrain lift post >>

Last edited by Dutchbelly; 08-12-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Dutchbelly's 1988 4runner Build-up