86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle:

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good job!
if you worried that with the bigger tyre, you might touch the ground when offroading, someone done this to have more clearance

Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
That is just awesome!
Thanks Habanero, It should do the trick
Originally Posted by rustED
The spare tire mount turned out nice. I didn't realize they were only offered for a couple years on second gens, now it makes sense why I never see any around lol. I like your Ram tablet mount. I was trying to find something similar, but my inclinometer kinda limits my mounting options. I cheaped out and started building a mount, it's going to slide into the track were the ashtray used to go. Should have it finished tomorrow.
Yep, from what I could find and have seen only 90-91's.
I am looking forward to seeing how your mount comes out.
Originally Posted by BUDD
good job!
if you worried that with the bigger tyre, you might touch the ground when offroading, someone done this to have more clearance

Thanks BUDD, those pictures help. I will have one of my professional welder friends help me when the time comes.
One thing I noticed is that I will need to relocate the rear window key or it will be buried behind a 35.

I wish I could locate the 90-91 tailgate insert(like you have pictured) to replace the stock backup light/license mount, maybe I will get lucky

Last edited by dropzone; 02-26-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:47 AM

yes, relocate the key, cables inside the tailgate shouldn't be a problem, this is the way it came on the ones i got.

you might manage not relocating it, (this is not my truck by the way)
Old 02-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Thanks for the pics. I like the flush mounted bumper on the 2nd truck

Planned on getting a few more things done.
Only thing I did get accomplished before it started dumping was to add an extended harness so I can add a rear/inside mounted window switch.

Need to get the 81 sold and gone so I can get the 4Runner into the garage...
Old 02-27-2016, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Thanks for the pics. I like the flush mounted bumper on the 2nd truck

Planned on getting a few more things done.
Only thing I did get accomplished before it started dumping was to add an extended harness so I can add a rear/inside mounted window switch.
mm never thought on that, shows us how you get on with it!
Old 02-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Fossilized
Staff

mm never thought on that, shows us how you get on with it!
Thanks, figured I had it apart any way and easier than running wires up to the switch up front.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:40 PM

Thanks, figured I had it apart any way and easier than running wires up to the switch up front.
up front? i thought you meant inside by tailgate to open from inside, like for example if you are camping
Old 02-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Fossilized
Staff

up front? i thought you meant inside by tailgate to open from inside, like for example if you are camping
by running wires up front I meant running wiring to the switch in the center console.
I want to add a continuous hot wire at some point so I can raise and lower it while camping like you mentioned
Old 03-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

So since the stock back up lights are now useless due to the tire mount I dug into the stash of junk I bought for the Trekker and found some 18w flush mounted LED's

There were too thick

So cut an inch off the cooling fins. I did this on the 81 too and didn't have any issues with the lights. They aren't on that long so heat dissipation should not be too big of issue

Old 03-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tire carrier install looks good, I'm envious. I like the backup lights too, look like they are plenty bright!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Great idea for the back-up lights, I'd have never thought to cut them down like that, since you have experience with others you've cut and had it work out that's a great idea. Of course the carrier looks great!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by rustED
Tire carrier install looks good, I'm envious. I like the backup lights too, look like they are plenty bright!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by habanero
Great idea for the back-up lights, I'd have never thought to cut them down like that, since you have experience with others you've cut and had it work out that's a great idea. Of course the carrier looks great!
Thanks Habanero

The lights don't put out as much light to the side as I had hoped, thought they put out more of a flood pattern.
I will add a set of floods on the cross member like I did on the Trekker

Old 03-11-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh crap love the mounting of the back up lights I wana do that to my 1st gen my reverse lights are useless as well. Did u cut off that and it fits in front of the regulator ?
Old 03-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by punks_is_4x4
Oh crap love the mounting of the back up lights I wana do that to my 1st gen my reverse lights are useless as well. Did u cut off that and it fits in front of the regulator ?
Yes, cut about an inch off the cooling fins with my 4.5 grinder with a cutting wheel.
It fits nicely right behind the window. Not sure how much room you have on a 1st Gen 4runner
I had made a 1/4" spacer out of some old plexiglass in case I needed a little more room but didn't need them
Old 03-12-2016, 08:11 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
You seem to be doing a lot of things that are not a 3.4 swap..... :cough:
Old 03-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by vital22re
You seem to be doing a lot of things that are not a 3.4 swap..... :cough:
Yep..doing the free or cheap stuff first. ..someday you will see this up north to fix its motivation issues.

Today was a great day to tackle some wiring while wearing shorts and flip flops

My new favorite wiring tool...speeds things up a lot

Crimped and heat shrinked momentary on-off-momentary off switch for the rear window

Rear Aux outlet for a future 12v fridge and dual USB for my rear camera
Old 03-20-2016, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Your reverse lights look great and do come in handy. The tools that are coming out today are so much better then 10-20 years ago. The right tool makes the job so much easier and your crimps look great. In some ways we have it far better then previous generations on tool selections, just wish I could get half of them.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep..doing the free or cheap stuff first. ..someday you will see this up north to fix its motivation issues.

Today was a great day to tackle some wiring while wearing shorts and flip flops

My new favorite wiring tool...speeds things up a lot

Crimped and heat shrinked momentary on-off-momentary off switch for the rear window

Rear Aux outlet for a future 12v fridge and dual USB for my rear camera
I like the aux power port. Need to put one of those in for my ARB fridge. I thought we were going to 1uz it. Much more motivation
Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love it, just got the same pair of crimpers and they are awesome! The rear wiring for the window you are doing is great, I've got a mind to do something similar, but I promised myself no scope creep until the engine is done and back up and running...
Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Your reverse lights look great and do come in handy. The tools that are coming out today are so much better then 10-20 years ago. The right tool makes the job so much easier and your crimps look great. In some ways we have it far better then previous generations on tool selections, just wish I could get half of them.
Thanks Terry. You are correct, some of the tools coming out are just plain awsome. I like how this crimper holds the connector very tight and won't release until you have completed the crimp.
Originally Posted by 85toyman
I like the aux power port. Need to put one of those in for my ARB fridge. I thought we were going to 1uz it. Much more motivation
3.4 or 1UZ, either one would be nice but neither option will happen for awhile. obviously need to get the suspension done first
Originally Posted by Reluctanse
Love it, just got the same pair of crimpers and they are awesome! The rear wiring for the window you are doing is great, I've got a mind to do something similar, but I promised myself no scope creep until the engine is done and back up and running...
Thanks, appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle: