86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle:

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 07:40 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
With the 4runner back in the driveway and the weather being halfway decent over the weekend I knocked out some miscellaneous junk to get them out of the way and to clear some space in the garage.
First up was to swap out the cut up left rear interior panel:

Next up was to extend the diamond plate I had mounted to the trekker sliders years ago. I figured with the grandminion and our pup Kenai hoping into the back seat it would probably be a good idea to extend the step concept. Freehand cutting the aluminum with the grinder a little bit at a time

And because I can't ever leave crap alone I came up with version 3.0 or so of my 8020 roof rack. This time it's 42" wide and 7 feet long. Also lowered the sides a litte bit. I would love to cut the side pieces to match the contour of the roof but that would be a major pain. Using the tailgate for a workbench came in handy. Only have about 3 hours into this one.

And this manual came in Saturday afternoon, should help me to trouble shoot the no reverse issue and figure out where some hanging wires go.
Really wish I had taken better pics when I was gutting this thing

The following 2 users liked this post by dropzone:
old87yota (03-19-2021), SomedayJ (03-19-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Fossilized
Staff

The 4Runner got some more tube work on the front while it was down south

driveshaft trivia - stock length driveshaft on the left, new shortened driveshaft on the right. The new front and rear driveshafts are with in 3/4" in length. Might have a spare long slip driveshaft made just in case. Wrecked a couple of them with the Trekker

Unloading the 4Runner from the tow dolly with no reverse was a pain the butt. My daughter and her fiance came over with his duramax to act as an anchor point while i pulled forward with the Dodge to the 4Runner unloaded.
Total brain fart and should have chocked the rear wheels to keep it from rolling backwards. Anyway the truck rolled backwards into Brandon's duramax, the rear tire hit his bumper pretty hard. Fortunately no damage to his truck but the 4Runner tire carrier munch the tailgate pretty good. Luckily the rear window was up and wasn't shattered. Yanked hard on the spare and was able to pull a lot of it out. Rolled the rear window down and it sounded like a popcorn machine.
Did the usual trick the tailgate into thinking the window was up and carefully pounded out some of the damage. It is still munched but the rear window sounds much happier

Old 03-18-2021, 04:17 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Knocked out a quick replacement air deflector for the wider roof rack. Used the old go to diamond plate

habanero (04-13-2021), SomedayJ (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:41 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
Knocked out a quick replacement air deflector for the wider roof rack. Used the old go to diamond plate
<SNIP>
Looks good! i dig the low profile of it. i need to build a modular system for my 4runner that can come apart for when the shell comes off.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:48 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
so clean man i love it
the roof rack is very slick!
Old 03-21-2021, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
I mean...it's ok...
The following users liked this post:
coopster (03-22-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 02:17 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by space-junk
Looks good! i dig the low profile of it. i need to build a modular system for my 4runner that can come apart for when the shell comes off.
you should, stupid simple to build
Originally Posted by de6w6it
so clean man i love it
the roof rack is very slick!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I mean...it's ok...
you suck Logan. Yes I need to find the exploded parts diagram for the transmission so i can order the correct check valves for valve body.
Since you have retired you should head south and help me clean out my garage so i can get out of the rain
BigBluePile (03-21-2021), old87yota (03-22-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

you should, stupid simple to build

Thanks!

you suck Logan. Yes I need to find the exploded parts diagram for the transmission so i can order the correct check valves for valve body.
Since you have retired you should head south and help me clean out my garage so i can get out of the rain
haha, you forget I work part time and hurt my self the other part of that time! 😄
old87yota (03-22-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 07:11 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Cut some holes in the fender today.
Winging a snorkel install with out a pattern sorta sucks
Another BS project that didn’t take much time and to try to get me motivated again to get it back in the garage and figure out reverse and stuff
I’ll get it hooked up under the hood later on.

The following 3 users liked this post by dropzone:
de6w6it (03-26-2021), old87yota (03-28-2021), SomedayJ (03-25-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 12:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
oooh! Pretty!

Mall-crawler until it's hooked up
Old 03-26-2021, 12:53 PM

looks great, rob! how long did it take you to install? and how did you route the intake piping to the air box? ive got cruise control in the way of any pipe routing so ive gotta come up with something really custom. hahahaha.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by irab88
oooh! Pretty!

Mall-crawler until it's hooked up
yep, crawls the driveway for now..

looks great, rob! how long did it take you to install? and how did you route the intake piping to the air box? ive got cruise control in the way of any pipe routing so ive gotta come up with something really custom. hahahaha.
into it about an hour...for the exterior part.. it either didn't come with a template or I lost it so winging it was sort of a pain in the butt

and how did you route the intake piping to the air box?
see below
i'll get that part done later..it has a hose that will go though the inner fender to the air box with a big aluminum adapter. It looks like I am gonna have to find a space to move the ignition coil to .

not gonna be used to place submarine with, i hate water crossings, mainly for dust and to catch branches with

old87yota (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Looks beauuuuutiful
Old 03-28-2021, 01:00 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Looks beauuuuutiful
haha, thanks Logan...doesn't look as good as being retired like you though!
BigBluePile (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 02:00 PM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
Looks GREAT for no template!

Won't branches tear off the head, though? It looks like a greats branch grabber, but how well is it attached?

Oh, well. Still LOOKS cool!

Retired is nice, believe me. Logan sounds like me. Retired part of the time, hurting myself part of the time. I have GOT to start getting out from under the hood. Not to mention the whole truck. I lay down under it, and it seems like I instantly get cut someplace. I have no idea how. Any of my trucks, and I have plenty of room under the 4Runners. I'm not that fat YET. I still get cut. Hands, arms, chest, you name it.
Hmmm...I also have 3 cats. I know the youngest, who's only about a year old, so is really still a kitten, has a lot to do with a lot of my cuts. He gets a little prickly during play a lot of the time.
My trucks still slice me pretty good, though. I think they're haunted by kitten ghosts, sometimes. No stitches, yet, thank goodness. I've had a ton of stitches due to motorcycle accidents, and one knife slip. ONE mind you! The stitches hurt worse than the bloody cut, Humph.

Well, Have fun, even if it's just driveway crawling!
Pat☺
RAD4Runner (04-03-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 12:35 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
Looks GREAT for no template!

Won't branches tear off the head, though? It looks like a greats branch grabber, but how well is it attached?

Oh, well. Still LOOKS cool!

Retired is nice, believe me. Logan sounds like me. Retired part of the time, hurting myself part of the time. I have GOT to start getting out from under the hood. Not to mention the whole truck. I lay down under it, and it seems like I instantly get cut someplace. I have no idea how. Any of my trucks, and I have plenty of room under the 4Runners. I'm not that fat YET. I still get cut. Hands, arms, chest, you name it.
Hmmm...I also have 3 cats. I know the youngest, who's only about a year old, so is really still a kitten, has a lot to do with a lot of my cuts. He gets a little prickly during play a lot of the time.
My trucks still slice me pretty good, though. I think they're haunted by kitten ghosts, sometimes. No stitches, yet, thank goodness. I've had a ton of stitches due to motorcycle accidents, and one knife slip. ONE mind you! The stitches hurt worse than the bloody cut, Humph.

Well, Have fun, even if it's just driveway crawling!
Pat☺
Pat- thanks I appreciate it. It is a little high in the back but it will work..
-i am sure it will catch some branches. I can always turn the snorkel head around.
-The snorkel itself is attached to the fender with four M10 bolts with some 1.5" stainless fender washers. The pillar side has a mount that is riveted in 3 places to the pillar and attached to the snorkel intake with 3 bolts.
Definitely not bullet proof but is on there pretty good. If i ever have to replace the windshield it will probably take a little bit to get the snorkel removed.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:09 PM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
Sounds sturdy! I would turn the head around, if it were me. But it LOOKS cooler facing forward, no doubt.
I wonder if you could maybe fab up a good, solid, steel, head that faces backwards, and is in a diagonal from the where it connects to the tube, so branches just ride the tube up and off the head? Or even a cap like that, that you could switch out for the regular head when you go through water? Just a thought. I get so few any more, and they die of lonliness pretty quick.
I thought of it because that's what a horse I hit on my police bike one morning did it that way. Rode the forks, then the fairing up, and scraped me off at 60 MPH. I lost an eye, but the horse died at the scene. I win! If he hadn't ridden the fairing up and over, though, it probably would have killed me.

You'll have to let us know how you hook it up to the intake plumbing. I doubt I'll ever put a snorkel on my 4Runners, but ya never know. Knowledge is power, as they say.

I wish you all the best!
Pat☺
RAD4Runner (04-03-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 07:54 AM

I thought of it because that's what a horse I hit on my police bike one morning did it that way. Rode the forks, then the fairing up, and scraped me off at 60 MPH. I lost an eye, but the horse died at the scene. I win! If he hadn't ridden the fairing up and over, though, it probably would have killed me.
DAAAAAAAAAYYYUUUMMM... what are you the terminator?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:33 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Sounds sturdy! I would turn the head around, if it were me. But it LOOKS cooler facing forward, no doubt.
I wonder if you could maybe fab up a good, solid, steel, head that faces backwards, and is in a diagonal from the where it connects to the tube, so branches just ride the tube up and off the head? Or even a cap like that, that you could switch out for the regular head when you go through water? Just a thought. I get so few any more, and they die of lonliness pretty quick.

You'll have to let us know how you hook it up to the intake plumbing. I doubt I'll ever put a snorkel on my 4Runners, but ya never know. Knowledge is power, as they say.

I wish you all the best!
Pat☺
Pat: i may just turn it around, probably gonna make some wind noise either way. Will post some pics when i get the time and inclination to get it plumbed under the hood. My wife say to get off my butt doing misc junk to it and get reverse working..
That was quite the accident you had. Sorry you lost an eye but glad you are still vertical.
from one vet to another. Thanks for your service. Spent some time at K-Bay doing some training with A Co 3rd Recon battalion and again at Pendleton for a weeks jumping in and wandering around that giant danger area.

DAAAAAAAAAYYYUUUMMM... what are you the terminator?
no kidding, that's sorta what I was thinking!

Last edited by dropzone; 03-30-2021 at 11:03 AM.
RAD4Runner (04-03-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 03:59 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Had some time today between misc family stuff today.
I mounted a set of Diode Dynamics DOT/SAE compliant SS3 driving lights and SSC2 combo lens
not wired yet, maybe in a couple of days

The following 3 users liked this post by dropzone:
BigBluePile (03-31-2021), Diode Dynamics (04-02-2021), SomedayJ (03-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle: