86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle:

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Ha, so many times the window lockout came in handy with the kids updownupdownupdown. Glad you were able to find a working unit.

Hmmm, interesting Uber stories pending?
Old 09-22-2018, 12:36 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Ha, so many times the window lockout came in handy with the kids updownupdownupdown. Glad you were able to find a working unit.

Hmmm, interesting Uber stories pending?
its nice having it working again. Funny how a simple install takes a long time, the replacement unit rails got twisted around some how

Haha no uber stories in the future. Poking fun at some of the drivers I see running around with a dash filled with several screens. I have been doing pretty good buying and selling GPS units on Ebay. Flipping them helps fund this project

Last edited by dropzone; 09-22-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone

Haha no uber stories in the future. Poking fun at some of the drivers I see running around with a dash filled with several screens. I have been doing pretty good buying and selling GPS units on Ebay. Flipping them helps fund this project
Wouldn't it be cool if your Uber or Lyft driver showed up and it was Robb and his 4Runner though?!?!

Old 09-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Uber Robb would be a cool surprise but I wouldn't get anywhere because I'd be crawling all around the truck checking out all the mods.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by old87yota
Wouldn't it be cool if your Uber or Lyft driver showed up and it was Robb and his 4Runner though?!?!

Uber Robb would be a cool surprise but I wouldn't get anywhere because I'd be crawling all around the truck checking out all the mods.
haha Thanks Jake and Habanero, I doubt this thing would qualify for either Uber or Lyft. I think your car has to be no older than 10-12 years old. Plus my wife says I wouldn't have the patience. I'd probably push people out the door
Old 09-30-2018, 03:13 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Alternative Fire Extinguisher Mount

was looking for an easy way to mount a fire extinguisher with in reach up front but not take up a lot of room. No body but the grandkid seems to ride in the back so I decided to try a MOLLE Hydroflask pouch out.
Just popped out the headrest and voila. It actually seems to be in there pretty tight with using the draw string to keep it tight.
[/url]
Old 10-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

The 4runner actually fits in the garage with 4" to spare. Top of the roofrack is 76". If I had gone with my original stock crossbars and a generic roof basket no way it would have fit.
At least now I know I can get my dual cases installed over the winter and do some other stuff like rear bearings with out getting soaked.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

Lucky you!
Is it weird I want to put a silhouette of mountains where the grille badge used to be? The truck is a far cry from the red stocker of its 'youth'.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts
Lucky you!
Is it weird I want to put a silhouette of mountains where the grille badge used to be? The truck is a far cry from the red stocker of its 'youth'.
^^ No it is not weird (or maybe we are both weird... ).

I think that would look really cool actually, being in the Pacific Northwest and all.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Lucky you!
Originally Posted by old87yota
^^ No it is not weird (or maybe we are both weird... ).

I think that would look really cool actually, being in the Pacific Northwest and all.

hmmmm...you two have got me thinking!

​Love finding stripped screws or bolts that are hidden away. Had to use the little grinder to make a groove to get the screw out. I will find a new pillar grab bar sometime

​​​​​​discovered the mangled screw when I popped the trim piece to had a mount for a small GPS...yes I have gadgetitis

Old 10-07-2018, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

A) Weird.....or just differently-brained?
B) I'd have said Grumpy on the badge space but I couldn't figure out a good way to make his nose slightly hang over the lights.....would have to be 3-d Grumpy.
C) Stupid bolt. Good solution.
D) You are giving me gadget-itis
E) Okay, just weird.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Habanero still working on finding a replacement Grumpy

replaced bolt with Allen heads, wanted to make it easy for an eventual head light replacement. Which I am pretty sure how the original screw got fubarred because the windshield definitely isn't stock.

Gadgetitis can get expensive but it can be a fun and cool disease.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Fossilized
Staff

The transmission has been shifting like crap for a few weeks so decided to suck it up and get dirty.
had a set of solenoids I bought off Ebay.
you can get all 3 for about a third of the price of one solenoid from the dealer.
I was surprised to find they were quite a bit smaller than the stock parts but they wired up and bolted in just fine

The middle and rear solenoids are the same, front solenoid is different as indicated by the color of where it inserts in the valve body. I replaced them one at a time and replaced the filter while I was in there. Flushed the transmission 3x's till I got nice and new looking fluid at the drain plug.
30 mile test drive and life is good.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rob,

Its come a long ways my friend! Looking good! It's ok to be weird. We all are weird in someone else's eyes...
Old 10-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Hit the local pick and pull today.
found a unicorn but unfortunately didn't have the cash to pick this up..should have busted out the credit card..still kicking myself

Get home. Open the door and smell burning electrical..bunch of smoke coming from the map lights at the rear view mirror.
pop the cover and get the 4 screws out and disconnect power.
entire thing is hot to the touch.
I find that one of the LED's is melting

Amazing how much smoke that little thing put out.
the map light switch was jammed and shorting the LED.
glad it happened at home and not at the beginning of a 12 hour shift at work since I usually just hop out and head into a big building focused on coffee.
I don't even remember using the map light but oh well
found another map light housing on Ebay so no lights for a few days..
Old 10-14-2018, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Oh, what I would give to finally come across one of those- and that one is so clean! Every time I find a locker diff the good part is long gone.

Glad your smokey led was caught pre-fire, YIKES!
Old 10-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Today was fix some stuff Friday
Ordered another map light housing and some replacement LEDS from super bright LEDs. The one that burned up was from Ebay so wanted relatively reliable stuff this time around.
New housing installed and LED's have great output

My daughter has a RAV4 that has some cool wiper nozzles with 3 squirters were side so I had always thought it would be a great upgrade. Found some last weekend at pick n pull and installed them. Had to enlarge the mounting holes.

I thought freaking great. Fire up the washers and realized I had screwed up. Only one out of three squirters hit where they would do any good.
so crap how do I unfubar this screw up.
hit the local Ace Hardware and found some 10 mm stainless fender washers that fit the stock two hole nozzles just fine.
ugly fix but at least I have functional nozzles again
Old 10-20-2018, 06:53 AM
Fossilized
Staff

OK so a Toyota Tech in Instagram educated me that the squirters actually have a swivel so you can individually adjust the aim.
unfortunately when I was taking them out one of the RAV4 nozzles broke due to being 20 years old. Brittle like my old as
Found that Dorman 47221 are a direct replacement so ordered a couple off Amazon
Dorman 47221 Windshield Washer Nozzle
Amazon Amazon

so next weekend I will reinstall and use a dental pick or needle to adjust the spray pattern

Last edited by dropzone; 10-20-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Discovered an eight legged hitchhiker looking for a free ride and some food this morning
Old 10-26-2018, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Spider buddies are the best! Just resist the urge to blow them away from your face when they drop down in front of you.

I'm sorry about missing the misguided squirter post. I use a push-pin to aim the squirter nozzles. They sure do like to be stuck in place after all the years they're on the donor vehicle. Nice find on the Dormans.

Quick Reply: Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle: