Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Sweet!!
Thanks Hab! It was totally unexpected
Originally Posted by CreeperSleeper
So many drawers for the 10mm to hide!
haha, yep. 10mm is getting its own drawer!
it will be nice to have everything all in one place not in a few separate tool boxes
Old 01-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Fossilized
Staff

in an effort to keep the center console intact ordered one of Rory's Triple sticks.
I'll have to massage the transmission tunnel slightly with a hammer for a little clearance but this will help. I should have kept the triple sticks from the Trekker:der:
Attached Thumbnails Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA:  Project Recycle:-triple-sticks.jpg  
Old 01-07-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
in an effort to keep the center console intact ordered one of Rory's Triple sticks.
I'll have to massage the transmission tunnel slightly with a hammer for a little clearance but this will help. I should have kept the triple sticks from the Trekker:der:
very cool. Can't wait to see this all put together
Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
the missus hooked me up with something to help me find my 10mm socket
So many drawers for the 10mm to hide!
LOL!, Yep!
Old 01-07-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Heads-up on the adjusters for the levers: locktite or lock nuts. They vibrated loose on me going down the road. Not a hard fix, but easy to do when first installing them.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by 85toyman
very cool. Can't wait to see this all put together
Thanks Don. I'll be starting this in the 1st week or so of February. One of my kids is moving and needs the Dodge to move so I need the 4runner up and running till than
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
LOL!, Yep!
i am even making labels for the drawers, 3 will say 10mm
Originally Posted by irab88
Heads-up on the adjusters for the levers: locktite or lock nuts. They vibrated loose on me going down the road. Not a hard fix, but easy to do when first installing them.
Thanks for the heads up Ian!

Saving links and quotes below for reference.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-question.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...sues-faqs.html
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin
Might want to sticky this on the first post, and how about delete the awshifting link and add Home.

I see this ask fairly often. How long is an A340F. This is my setup and what I measured. A340F-V6 adapter-dual cases behind a 2RZ

Front of bell housing to rear driveshaft flange- ~49"
Front of V6 adapter plate to rear driveshaft flange- ~25" this is dual case length so trans would be 24" to where cases mount.

Good link on what you end up with. Total Length is gonna end up about 50" long
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...pter-info.html
Originally Posted by gittinit
Hmmm,

With the installation of this adapter you are now left with a large, 1/2 gallon, to gallon sized pocket that is good for nothing but robbing the trans fluid from the tranny on those uphill climbs. It is recommended you over fill the tranny, but that alone isnt enough imo. The experiances I had with this adapter led me and my buddys to make a sheetmetal plate which we sandwiched in between the tranny, and what used to be the transfercase. It didn't stop all the fluid from dumping into what used to be the transfer case but but it helped drastically. We moddified the 2wd park praw with a cutoff wheel so it would clear the new plate we made. I don't recall the thickness of the material, but it was thin enough that there were no issues with the speed sensor. I also recommend ditching the small transfercase pan. With this pan in place there is likely more room for fluid to drain to from the transmission. Another thing to consider is finding a way to seal the trans dipstick tube which is an issue when running the fluid overfull as recommended.

The gear reduction of this auto adapter coupled with a dual geardrive tcase setup one of which had 4.7 gears, would pull through the brakes even with the trans in high gear. Brakes were stock front, chevy caliper rear disc, and an fj80 master.
Originally Posted by VooDoo
Duals with a 4.7 is overkill with the auto. A single 4.7 or dual 2.28 is plenty.

I replaced the rear pan with a flat plate and built a "plug" fot the empty housing.
"Plug"= 6" piece of pipe capped on the ends with a piece of tube through the middle for the output shaft. Like a big steel roll of TP.

I also overfilled the trans and no problems with my pro-mod style buggy
Originally Posted by TOYOTAPARTS
Agreed, 1 geared case is plenty. I just added the one extra qrt never had an issue at all. None with the dip stick either.
Originally Posted by Inchworm
It seems like most people who run this adapter are just fine with overfilling the trans. I know it has worked fine on the rigs I have personally dealt with here at the shop. We do seem to still see a few of you out there who feel that something more needs to be done. I wonder if the difference is the application. I would bet with a full bodied rig, there aren't so many extreme angles/situations and as a result, the overfill option probably works fine. Are those of you who feel that overfilling isn't enough running tube (or more extreme) rigs?

How many of you guys really feel that the problem is significant enough that overfilling isn't enough? Please list your type of rig/use with your answers!

If there is really enough interest, I'd be willing to put some effort into developing a production solution.
Originally Posted by dirtburn
I have used the auto adaptor with the dual case adaptor for a few years now and love it. Stock cases are plenty low enough with 5.29s and 37s. I also use the overfill method, it took a few tries on the steepest hill I could find to get the right amount but once I did I simply marked my dipstick at the right level. I personaly think the extra fluid helps keek the tranny temp down as well.

Last edited by dropzone; 01-16-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

the 4runner's paint is starting to flake a bit on the roof and hood so decided to take the plunge and ordered some monstaliner to roll on the truck
Attached Thumbnails Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA:  Project Recycle:-monstaliner.jpg   Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA:  Project Recycle:-monstaliner-sand.jpg  

Last edited by dropzone; 02-11-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
the 4runner's paint is starting to flake a bit on the roof and hood so decided to take the plunge and ordered some monstaliner to roll on the truck
Excited to see this one. Monstaliner is on the "to-do" list.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool, look forward to seeing how the Monstaliner turns out, this has been on my to do list also, but now I have a bunch of "new" bodywork to do first, lol!..Look forward to seeing the updates!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Excited to see this one. Monstaliner is on the "to-do" list.
Originally Posted by rustED
Cool, look forward to seeing how the Monstaliner turns out, this has been on my to do list also, but now I have a bunch of "new" bodywork to do first, lol!..Look forward to seeing the updates!
Thanks Mudpigg and Ed. On the 81 Trekker I used rattle can bed liner and sprayed it over the top with desert tan. Look ok a mile away but not so great up close.
I have seen a few truck monstalined up close and they seem pretty good. A friend of mine did his a few weeks ago and I really liked how Peter's tacoma came out.
I went back and forth for a few days about doing a shade of red but always liked the tan look. Easy to maintain. UPS shows it arriving on monday. We are expecting temps in the teens next week so it will probably not get done for a little bit.

I will say that I am extremely happy with Monstaliner's costumer service so far. I placed the order last sunday morning. At lunch time i had an email asking me if I only meant to order one bottle of tint(needs two). Monstaliner added the 2nd bottle to the shipment and just billed me through paypal for it. It was shipped early monday morning. Never expected a response on a weekend. Usually expect stuff to take a few days to process.

Still accumulating a few parts for the dual case install..

Last edited by dropzone; 02-16-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
It's gonna look amazing!
Old 02-25-2018, 07:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

It's gonna look amazing!
Thanks Chad, that's what I am hoping for!

i really like winter and to me the more snow the better. The Portland area usually doesn't get snow at all so it's cool to even get a little. Thought it was great to have snow on the way home a few days ago. I have been really happy with my LED headlights up until this point.
on the way home my head lights were getting dimmer and dimmer due to snow build up
Output by the time i got home. One thing I love about the lights is the low power draw. Downside is they don't put out the heat of Halogens and therefore snow builds up
knock the snow off and life is good again
This is going to be a limited problem since so is so infrequent in my area but now looking into adding a heating element to the housings or hit the boneyard for some headlight wipers
I don't remember this being an issue with the Truck-Lite LED headlights i had in the Trekker

Battery died over the weekend, should have known since I have a volt meter in the lower console but the phone and GPS cords got shoved against is and blocked it
So this jump box came in handy

Hid bone yard with the missus on friday It was surprising because it about about 30* that she said sure.
a 1990 4Runner had just showed up so scored a few parts.
The killer was finding a set of covers for the rear swing out mount. I love having the mount but for some reason it bugged me the covers weren't there.
Since the swing out mount was only 90-91 I had no luck for 2 years.
They are a little rough, when but when i do the monstaliner I'll do some black on the mounts
Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Looking at LED headlights the snow could be an issue for me at the moment.

Question, believe we have same style voltmeter. When you turn on headlights how much voltage drop to you get? I get .6 with heater on full. Still running halogens and regular bulbs all the way around. Just ordered LED bulbs for brakes, markers, and turn signals with a flasher than is LED compatible.

I'm just not ready to drop coin for a set of truck-lites yet. Reviews from other LED headlights are very subjective.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rob,

Can't wait to see how the paint turns out. The rig has come along ways since the start. Which brand of LED headlights are you using? I think I missed that one.

Thanks Chad, that's what I am hoping for!

i really like winter and to me the more snow the better. The Portland area usually doesn't get snow at all so it's cool to even get a little. Thought it was great to have snow on the way home a few days ago. I have been really happy with my LED headlights up until this point.

runnerupdate 4
on the way home my head lights were getting dimmer and dimmer due to snow build up
Output by the time i got home. One thing I love about the lights is the low power draw. Downside is they don't put out the heat of Halogens and therefore snow builds up

runnerupdate

runnerupdate 2

runnerupdate1
knock the snow off and life is good again

runnerupdate 3
This is going to be a limited problem since so is so infrequent in my area but now looking into adding a heating element to the housings or hit the boneyard for some headlight wipers
I don't remember this being an issue with the Truck-Lite LED headlights i had in the Trekker

Battery died over the weekend, should have known since I have a volt meter in the lower console but the phone and GPS cords got shoved against is and blocked it
So this jump box came in handy

runnerupdate 5

Hid bone yard with the missus on friday It was surprising because it about about 30* that she said sure.

Capture
a 1990 4Runner had just showed up so scored a few parts.
The killer was finding a set of covers for the rear swing out mount. I love having the mount but for some reason it bugged me the covers weren't there.
Since the swing out mount was only 90-91 I had no luck for 2 years.

runnerupdate 6

runnerupdate 7
They are a little rough, when but when i do the monstaliner I'll do some black on the mounts
Old 02-25-2018, 03:28 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by 85toyman
Rob,

Can't wait to see how the paint turns out. The rig has come along ways since the start. Which brand of LED headlights are you using? I think I missed that one.
Thanks Don! I am looking forward to getting it done when it warms up.

Still need to tear into the transmission and t/c to get the duals in...

See below for the headlights info. They were a little pricey, about $250 for the bulbs and another $200'ish for the housings but the output is greatly improved for daily driving.
Downside was the snow build up

So i replaced my headlight housings last year with a set off ebay. I had 3 sets of stock housings but they were all cloudy or cracked. When I installed the new housings I threw in a set of LED bulbs, they worked but the pattern was funky
A guy on tr4.org installed the same housings with a better set of bulbs

GTR bulbs came in saturday morning, installed them that afternoon
the usual PITA pulling the grill off etc

2017-10-21_05-23-41 by ocdropzone, on Flickr
old LED compared to the new. The GTR is definately better built

2017-10-21_05-24-00 by ocdropzone, on Flickr
old beam pattern

2017-10-21_05-24-36 by ocdropzone, on Flickr
new beam pattern, much better and well defined compared to the old one

2017-10-21_05-24-20 by ocdropzone, on Flickr

driving in the dark and rainy conditions this morning the light output was definitely better
Old 02-25-2018, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
I would never have thought about the cooler running headlights vs snow being a problem, you'll have to look for a set of those headlight wipers on your next boneyard run.

Even a little rough covers look much better than none covers. Nice find.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Sweet

Last edited by BigBluePile; 02-27-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Fossilized
Staff

no real updates, waiting for it to warm up a little to start on the duals and the monster liner

I did pick up some series 10 8020 material for a little experiment

Quick Reply: Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle: