86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Drmix's 92 4Runner 22RE Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drmix's 92 4Runner 22RE Build

I am back with my 3rd Yota Build!

I just picked this up a couple days ago. I was originally looking for a 3rd gen 4runner and then came across this one and couldnt help but notice how nice and clean it looked in all the pictures. It does have some stuff that needs to get fixed on it so its not perfect in any way but a good start to a build.

1992 4Runner with 22RE
5 Speed
No rust and clean title
4in suspension lift with 1 in body lift. (not sure on details of lift)
33x12.50x15 tires

Ill post some better pictures and more info once I get it road ready.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:33 PM

I had a small oil leak and ended up tracking it down to the front main seal which was a fairly easy fix. I ordered a new oil pump oring and a front main seal from Toyota. I went with the shallower seal just in case a groove on the crank had been created from the OEM seal.

The install wasnt too bad and the crank bolt wasn't that hard to remove. I've let it idle for maybe 10 minutes and haven't seen a drop of oil since. Before after about 30 seconds of running you would see the pool of oil starting to form on the lower portion of the oil pump.

My next issue to take care of is the clutch issue. It has trouble going into gear and wants to grind or needs to be slammed into gear. Since the clutch doesnt slip when I'm driving I am hoping it's an easy fix and not the clutch.

I've checked around the clutch main, slave and pedal but don't see any obvious signs of an issue. The cylinder on the slave does move in and out like it should I'm just not sure if its coming all the way out like it should.

Here is a video of it moving. Does this look like enough movement or should there be more?

I'm going to try bleeding the system and checking over the lines for any leaks tomorrow before trying to replace the master and slave.

Last edited by drmix; 05-02-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:05 PM

Got quite a bit done on the 4runner today. I started out bleeding the clutch and it didnt seem to help. The fluid in it was pretty dark. Once we finished that I started checking for leaks and didnt see anything. After that I barely tapped the boot on the clutch slave and seen fluid and bubbles coming out. I decided I would just go ahead and replace the clutch slave and master to make sure those were both good.

After I got the slave and master replaced I went ahead and did the full bleeding process again, started it up and it went straight into first. I am still having an issue going into reverse but it has greatly improved. It may just be that the synchro for reverse is going out. Ive noticed that if I quickly slam it into reverse it isnt as bad.

After that I went ahead and started checking over everything. Adjusted the idle, adjusted the ignition timing to factory spec of 5 degrees. It was a little off and the idle was a bit high.

Took it for a test drive and it seemed to do alright. It still doesnt have much power but thats probably because its the 22re on 33s with factory gears. I guess I cant expect much lol.

Im planning on adjusting the valves next because they seem to be ticking quite a bit. Hopefully that will quite things down a little. I do really need to get an alignment before its ready for the road. Its pretty sketchy once it gets up to speed. I did jack it up and tried wiggling each tire and didnt see anything major.

She does look good though!

Old 05-07-2020, 07:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice to see another classic runner getting the TLC it deserves. I had the exact same truck that's pictured in your avatar. Wish I still had it.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by tng2000
Nice to see another classic runner getting the TLC it deserves. I had the exact same truck that's pictured in your avatar. Wish I still had it.
Same here! I wish I would have kept it and not sold it! It was an awesome and reliable truck even being at 290k miles. Still kicking myself over that.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:56 PM

This weekend I was able to adjust the valves. I found that all of them were out of spec. Some were loose while others were tight which was weird. Im guessing the person who did them before wasnt exactly sure what they were doing. It does sound alot better when idling and a bit quieter. I guess I picked a bad day to do them since it was 84 degrees, in the sun, over a hot motor and strugging to reach the valves for cylinder 4. Fun times lol. I will be investing in a step stool at some point. Working on a lifted truck from the ground sucks.

The tailgate window motor came in on Friday so I replaced that as well.

What I started with

The new motor came with multiple harnesses im guessing for different years or vehicles.

I also cleaned up and greased anything that looked like it moved. At some point I will need to replace the track since its pretty rusted and I am kinda surprised the wheels roll as well as they do but I greased it up anyways so well see how long I can make it last. The swap was fairly easy once I figured it out. The biggest mistake that I made was when removing the old motor the springs and gears unwound so I was fighting trying to get it all lined back up. At first I installed it and realized before finishing that it wasnt lined up correctly so I had to pull it all back out and redo it. I got it all working and now the window shoots up and down without any issues.

Today I went around the body and cleaned up any major chips. There were multiple dings that went down to bare metal and then turned into rust under the paint. Ground all those down and then primered and put a thick coat of touch up paint on that. I will have to smooth them down then clear once its even but better than having rust growing under the paint. I do have a bad spot inside the rear passenger door that rusted through. This will be needing some more work but for now I removed most of the rust and then primered and rattle canned until I can address it. Ill snap some pics when I get to fixing that.

I did discover that I will be needing a new tail light harness for the drivers side since it is corroded at the connector and pretty much fell apart when I removed it.

Yesterday they finally opened fishing in our state (delayed because of Covid) so I was out on the kayak most of the day. Didnt catch anything but a sunburn and a buzz but the weather was awesome! Nice peek of Mt. Rainier in the background.