86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Crazytoyota4x4's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmmmm sounds legit then! What are the plans for the rear? I'm doing a minor build right now and I'm stumped on the rear. Don't wanna just do blocks or shackles and no crappy add-a-leafs. Will that Deaver mini-pack fit on a 89-95 truck or are the spring widths different?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After a long week of work out of town I finally am back and just picked up my shocks from the motorcycle shop. The nitrogen is set at 150 psi, the compression valving is med-firm, and the rebound is light. These are the 2.0 coilovers with res. from www.F-O-A.com

Old 07-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ckblum
Hmmmmmm sounds legit then! What are the plans for the rear? I'm doing a minor build right now and I'm stumped on the rear. Don't wanna just do blocks or shackles and no crappy add-a-leafs. Will that Deaver mini-pack fit on a 89-95 truck or are the spring widths different?
Yeah the pics of the shock hoops do not do them justice, they are burlier than the pics depict. Anyways for the rear I am still tossed up between either chevy springs with custom mounts and shackles or the trail-gear rear kit. Also I would like to do a spring-under setup to help with axle wrap at high speeds. You'll have to check with Blazen8 on the deaver setup.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 AM

when are you going to have it all finished up? looking forward to seeing it all done with coilovers this time
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by LGcrawler
when are you going to have it all finished up? looking forward to seeing it all done with coilovers this time
Should be putting the kit on my truck next weekend as long as i can find a welder and can afford new balljoints. As for the 4runner being fully completed, that is about 2 years away, got big big plans and will cost roughly $23,000.00
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Call Deaver and tell them the width of your leafs. He can make a mini pack to suit your needs. I can sell you longer shackles or you can build your own like I did on my 1986 4-Runner build thread. I think the mini-pack is a simple quick upgrade but a longer spring is the way to go. The Chevy 63" is the direction I am leaning towards. I have had that on my truck for about a month and it shows promise. I may be offering a complete conversion kit. Blazeland supplys the hanger kit you supply the spring. Springs go for $100. Not sure on the bracket kit cost, its still too early.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by crazytoyota4x4
Should be putting the kit on my truck next weekend as long as i can find a welder and can afford new balljoints. As for the 4runner being fully completed, that is about 2 years away, got big big plans and will cost roughly $23,000.00
$23,000? thats some serious cash, you must have rediculously sick plans for it
Old 07-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Heres the trail-gear bumper that I got about 2 months ago.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Oh and some pics from last years headgasket job.....still trying to get it tuned right... tps off, and idle jumps around....anyways heres the pics.

Last edited by crazytoyota4x4; 07-10-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Where did you get that intake?

As for the rear I think I'm just gonna do the TG 3" kit, best bang for the buck cause it comes with full springs, mounts, shocks and stainless lines for $650CAD. I dunno how much those Deaver AAL's are but the price of that plus shocks probably comes out pretty close and I think the TG kit will ride smoother than stock leaves with an AAL. It's a toss up still though I wanna see more reviews and action vids on this stuff before dropping my cash. Only seen some build threads so far and a couple 5 second vids.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by ckblum
Where did you get that intake?

As for the rear I think I'm just gonna do the TG 3" kit, best bang for the buck cause it comes with full springs, mounts, shocks and stainless lines for $650CAD. I dunno how much those Deaver AAL's are but the price of that plus shocks probably comes out pretty close and I think the TG kit will ride smoother than stock leaves with an AAL. It's a toss up still though I wanna see more reviews and action vids on this stuff before dropping my cash. Only seen some build threads so far and a couple 5 second vids.
The intake is made up of spectre parts from the local auto parts store here. Also I have a vafm off of an 7mge cressida. I too am leaning towards the trail-gear kit as it comes with almost everything ill need, just need to figure out how much lift Ill need for the spring under setup.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 PM

I would think probably the 5"? As long as it's not an HD spring though. Then you can just run a longer shackle with the pivot above the frame similar to running the Total Chaos 9-12" shackles. I'll be doing the 3" kit, I got OME torsion bars, shocks and stabilizer and Krypton Fab bj spacers. I think it'll be a solid setup for now and it was cheap like borscht. Rear is gonna cost a bit no matter what, but that's really where it seems to make or break the ride quality.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:05 PM

Well everyone sorry for the delay on the install, Ive been out of town for work the past few weeks. Maybe tomorrow I can have a friend weld on my tabs for the shock hoops and I can get them painted up. Will be picking up lower ball joints tomorrow as well to make the install easier (without having to beat the snot out of it with pickle fork). Also last week I sent the money for a 4.88 rear diff with limited-slip, I know its not that great offroad but Its better than an open diff and its my daily driver. Next weekend, july 23 will be the install date, hopefully........sorry for the wait

Last edited by crazytoyota4x4; 07-15-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Finally got the suspension up front installed

Well everyone sorry for the delay but ive finally managed to buy some time and got this installed. The bolt on brackets on the front and middle of the shock hoop locate the bracket for the welds. Heres a pic of the board and c-clamp used to hold the shock hoop bracket against the frame for welding

Here it is tack welded in place

And of it welded per specs from blazeland

And some of the final product

Also I still have to re-gear the truck ive got the rear diff with 4.88 gears and a limited-slip that I still have to install and will be saving for front gears. No cv axles until the re-gear so wont be able to 4x for a litle while, maybe till next year.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:29 PM

pics?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 PM

of it all put together?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Heres a couple pics of it completed

Old 11-06-2011, 03:19 PM

wow, that looks too sick. makes me want to get blazeland over sas
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great example of the Blazeland Coil-over "assist" Utilizing the stock T-Bars and a 275lb spring should give you plenty of tunning options. What are your findings on the pre-loads? What valving did you order from FOA? Is the valving correct for the terrain in Colorado?

Last edited by BlazeN8; 11-07-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Great example of the Blazeland Coil-over "assist" Utilizing the stock T-Bars and a 275lb spring should give you plenty of tunning options. What are your findings on the pre-loads? What valving did you order from FOA? Is the valving correct for the terrain in Colorado?
Thanks nate. well the springs are 250 ib and right now they are still kinda stiff and Im thinking of going with either 175 or 200 ib springs to make it softer, but my torsion bars are kinda cranked up a bit so instead of adjusting them id rather get some lighter coil springs. The shocks are 2.0" F-O-A.com coilovers with res. and the valving is medium-firm on compression and light on rebound. I really like the shocks the way they are set up there smooth and really good on big hits. The trucks front end is too stiff but I like the stance of it.

Quick Reply: Crazytoyota4x4's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread