86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Crazydubman's 88 pickup build

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE:
Finally got the toolbox in the mail today.
I got everything layed out in the bed like i want it. should have everything bolted down and secure this weekend.
decided to go with a 37x16x19" toolbox and 4 50cal ammo cases with mounts for storage. There is room for a scepter can on the drivers side next to the tool box.... barely...... its snug but it should fit fine with the toolbox centered in the bed.

should be good for storage for the time being. only thing is that with the two ammo cases on each side i won't have the space for a 38" spare. ill probably have to pull the inner ones off when the time comes and find another spot for them.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
this is a great build. subscribed
Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 AM

thanks a lot. stay tuned for updates. Hoping to get out to Hollister this weekend for a test run with the new parts and get it a little more broken in for Slick rock early august. =)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
storage bed looks great.

i see your hi-lift is on the pass. fender. do you think you could put the 2 inner cans on the driver fender or behind it? cant tell if their is enough room, just a thought.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 PM

sweet build man, i love the tube work. by the way, whered you get that in-bed toolbox at? maybe i missed it. again, very nice truck
Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by twistedyota
storage bed looks great.

i see your hi-lift is on the pass. fender. do you think you could put the 2 inner cans on the driver fender or behind it? cant tell if their is enough room, just a thought.
well you will see soon what i have planned for more storage. I will actually be putting the ammo cases on the passenger side fender well as the hilift has now been moved to above the tool box mounted on the tubing.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
sweet build man, i love the tube work. by the way, whered you get that in-bed toolbox at? maybe i missed it. again, very nice truck
i picked it up at www.autoanything.com

here is the link for it if your interested in something similar.
http://www.autoanything.com/truck-to...0A2605236.aspx

It was the only think i could find that was the dimensions i needed to fit between the tubes on the cage. works really well though.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Well I was hoping to get out to Hollister tomorrow but my friend got stuck working. So Without someone else to run with not sure if ill be able to make it out there to get some testing in.....
Anyone interested and local???? hahaha
Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Subscribed fo sho.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:28 PM

So my buddy only worked half day so we ended up making it out to hollister today. everything went well. saw items that could use improving and others that were working out rather well.
Here are a few pictures of the day. didn't get too many as i was to busy wheelin haha.
the "crack" by truck Hill.

and gotta love open diffs hahahahaha. got a mouth full almost.

it took a few tries at it but i finally was able to make it through.

and a couple poser shots

Last edited by crazydubman; 07-26-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 PM

Figured i would post some teasers.

This is the start of my storage basket for above the spare tire in the bed.

It will end up hanging past the end of the tailgate 6-7 inches. It will be mounted so its 1/2" above the top of the tailgate.

Mounts will consist of 4 of these

The two at the tool box side will be the pivot points.

the two at the back will have quick release hitch pins so it can swing up to access the spare tire.

There will be a pair of gas struts to aid in raising it up. They will probably be rated at about 270 lbs a piece. The basket will be able to be raised up to get the spare out with it loaded up to make things less of a hassle.

The basket is 12 gauge dimple died and will have a 3/4" solid round stock bent around the rim on the top for additional strength. basket itself weighs in at probably 60-70 lbs empty but i can be assured if it flops someday, the basket will come out unscathed.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 PM

question: where did you get that metal? or did you make it? if so, how? it looks sweet

and for the military boxes, tying them down might get tricky, as there's very little space to get a strap or hook on the side. just wondering if you have a solution for that (it looks that way to me, anyway)
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
question: where did you get that metal? or did you make it? if so, how? it looks sweet

and for the military boxes, tying them down might get tricky, as there's very little space to get a strap or hook on the side. just wondering if you have a solution for that (it looks that way to me, anyway)
Im having anysevenoffroad build it for me. its plasma cut out and dimple died 12 gauge.

No worries on the boxes. im having some rings welded to the sides to be able to get straps and hooks through
Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 AM

awesome. can't wait to see the outcome
Old 07-27-2011, 06:25 AM

The basket should be getting the mounts and set up in the truck im hoping tuesday next week.

Stay tuned.

On a side note all of the extra lights are finally wired up.

fogs, driving, and rock lights. I should be able to get some pictures about the same time.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:49 AM

so as some of you know, I was looking to sell my D44. well that day has come and gone and i am now the proud owner of a 60/14B combo.

Lets get to work.

Before: about to load up the 44 to drive down to Pismo to trade.

After: The tons loaded up in the back of my friends truck to drive back to the bay.

The 44 had a ton of spare parts that went with it and was completely built up and set up for a 3 link with hydro assist.

The tons are as follows
86 F350 HP 60 with 86 chevy CUCV outers
superior 5.38 gears ( in box with master install)
Full Kingpin rebuild
35 spline inner and outters
Ballistics truss (needs to be welded up)
New Warn hubs
86 CUCV 14 bolt with disc brakes and E-brake setup

The swap is finally getting on track
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 AM

a few more pictures now that i got them in the garage awaiting some teardown and clean up.

I got lucky and won't need to machine the H2 wheels down either. they fit perfect.

Hopefully gonna start figuring out the rear parking brake setup this week and get everything cleaned up.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 AM

Haven't posted up in a while so thought i would update you all on the pickup

Got the basket mounted in the truck.

Headed out to slick rock in August

Everything went off without a hitch. Im lovin this truck!!!

Everything is working out great with it. cruised up and back with out a problem. Takes all of 5 minutes to load and unload everything out of the back.

Basket is solid as a rock. with it loaded up you can jump up and down on it and it won't budge. The storage bins and coolers helped hold just about everything i would need for a comfortable weekend of camping. Will possibly be ordering more of the cases but for a light weekend of camping it worked perfect with just two of us.

One case was for the tent stuff (tent, drop cloth, hammers, stakes, flashlight, battery lantern, tent broom and dustpan sleeping bag and mat, etc)

One case was for all camp site stuff (dual top stove and extra propane, cooking utensils, cutting board, propane lantern, paper and cloth towels,trash bags, two wash bins for dishes, rope, shovel, etc)

Everything will fit stacked on the basket as well.
small coolers worked for food in one and drinks in the other. Still have space on top of the tool box if i need to store another cooler.

Here are a few quick pictures off my camera from the trip. only packed one of the bins for the day trip for all the dry food silverware etc for the group and mounted my friends CO2 tank to the back.

Last edited by crazydubman; 12-01-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 AM

some more pictures from the trip.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Was out in Hollister in October tearing it up.
Having a great time till the dirt decided to fight back and somehow bend my wheel with me trying to bump it up a section of the trail. jackoff2

IFS and open diffs are getting old..... Can't wait to swap the big boys under her. welder1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pi5m...layer_embedded

Aftermath of the wheel. clap

All in all it was a fun day.

Last edited by crazydubman; 12-01-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Crazydubman's 88 pickup build