86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so that's what a winch would look like in my bumper! Looks good man. Love the pic of you all loaded up to go camping to, makes me anxious to do the same.
As far as your AC goes, my 4runner doesn't have it but my 85 DD x-cab does and its still running r12. i know its apples to oranges on the size of the cab, but this thing cools so nice for a 30 year old truck! it gets way colder than my wife's 99 camry! All i did was add some foam insulation around the AC condenser to force air through it.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by liveoffroad
so that's what a winch would look like in my bumper! Looks good man. Love the pic of you all loaded up to go camping to, makes me anxious to do the same.
As far as your AC goes, my 4runner doesn't have it but my 85 DD x-cab does and its still running r12. i know its apples to oranges on the size of the cab, but this thing cools so nice for a 30 year old truck! it gets way colder than my wife's 99 camry! All i did was add some foam insulation around the AC condenser to force air through it.
Yeah, I'm tired of always seeing pictures your truck out there camping & wheeling, I had to do something about that. A winch is really handy, but as I'm noticing, a lot of times its so much easier to snatch somebody out than winch out, assuming you are not alone and another truck can get near enough.

Got back from Windrock Sunday around 5pm. It's a 14 hour drive for me, so I was absolutely beat from driving so much in such a short time, in fact I'm still tired 3 days later. Windrock was awesome, best wheeling I have ever done (although that's probably not saying much). I'm waiting for pics to be posted by some of the other attendees and I'll put up some links. If you have not been to Windrock, I highly recommend it. I have only a rear locker and my truck did pretty good on the Blue trails. I did not attempt any Blacks or Double Blacks for obvious reasons. There were a few areas where I almost got some body damage and I was wishing for sliders. Don't know if I will make it for next year's GSMTR, but I know that sliders and a front locker are on my todo list. I also have the Marlin 4.7 gears in my tcase, and WOW those gears really were amazing on those steep trails. Only a few times did I actually use 1st gear low, mostly I used 2nd and 3rd gear low and it was impressive how those gears would allow the engine to hold the truck going downhill on a huge slope, saved me from having to hit the brakes.

My brother brought his Land Rover Discovery and he did some pretty good wheeling as well. He smacked a few rocks though and got some dents and busted trim, but he's fully stock and as we found out, he has no center diff lock, so I believe he was more AWD than 4WD. I'm trying to encourage him to get a locker and a lift for it.

Anyway, awesome awesome trip. Saw so many built 80s and 100s that it really got me browsing craigslist for one. The guys in 80s with 35in tires and lockers on both ends just walked over every obstacle on the trails with ease and the best part is they were comfortable, dry, and running AC. I love this old truck, but boy those 80s are tempting.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:23 AM

Found one video of my truck at Windrock (I'm at 40sec into video)...still looking for some pics of me on the trail, I know there was at least 1 person who took a bunch of photos of our group.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey buddy, I did not put together who you were at GSMTR, sorry about that. It was great getting to meet you and hit the trails with you, for the one day I was able too anyway.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Hey buddy, I did not put together who you were at GSMTR, sorry about that. It was great getting to meet you and hit the trails with you, for the one day I was able too anyway.

Jason - I did not realize you were on Yotatech, I knew who you were from MUD and from your Podcasts. I'm all caught up on them and looking forward to Episode 12.

Your 4Runner is very nicely built. I saw your wheel missing, not sure what all was broken in there, and I heard the cool story about how Dennis came down the trail to get you. Hopefully I can make it up that way for some future events, I really had a great time.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:53 AM

Couple pics of my truck from GSMTR

Old 07-30-2016, 02:47 PM

The 4Runner's getting a little bit of love. I ordered some Cabela's Trailgear seat covers for Father's Day. These are some pretty good quality covers, and they have pockets in the back. There is no way I could get these on and get all the clips buckled without removing the seat, so while I had it out, I cleaned under it and put down some peel n seal (I really need some vinyl flooring, that's going on my Xmas list this year). I think they fit pretty good for universal covers.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coryc85
The 4Runner's getting a little bit of love. I ordered some Cabela's Trailgear seat covers for Father's Day. These are some pretty good quality covers, and they have pockets in the back. There is no way I could get these on and get all the clips buckled without removing the seat, so while I had it out, I cleaned under it and put down some peel n seal (I really need some vinyl flooring, that's going on my Xmas list this year). I think they fit pretty good for universal covers.

Nice work on those seats, they look awesome. I sure wish I had time to work on my runners.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by junk4u
Nice work on those seats, they look awesome. I sure wish I had time to work on my runners.
Thanks junk, the interior looks better already.

Ok, so I took the driver's seat out to start putting on the seat cover and I got a little bit ambitious...I totally dismantled the seat. It's always bothered me that the foam seems weak and the cloth and vinyl were ripped. The actual foam from Toyota appears to be discontinued, so I think maybe I'll cut this foam down, as in shave the middle and the side bolsters out and glue newly shaped foam from Amazon right over it. I've been doing some reading and apparently you can carve this foam pretty easily with an electric knife. I'll clean the frame up and paint it and I think I'll clean the ripped cover really well, sew on some patches and just leave it like that since my new Cabela's covers will hide them. Kinda wish I had done the passenger seat while I had it out.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:48 PM

Back in May at the GSMTR, they have a big raffle and I won a $200 gift certificate to Fox Toyota. Only problem was it is a dealership in Tennessee. Well, last week I called the parts dept, spoke to a guy there and they took care of me. So I sent him a list of parts I would like. This big ticket item was a clutch disc and cover. I also needed a new battery hold down, a dome light lens, and a distributor cap and rotor. I don't really plan to change the clutch any time soon, but the clutch I have in there is not OEM and if I have to separate the engine and tranny for any reason, this one will be going in.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:30 PM

So I've been rehab'ing the driver seat. I took it completely apart, cleaned the seat cloth covers by soaking them in soapy water and rinsing and repeating 3 or 4 times. Then I hosed off the seat foam repeatedly and let it dry in the sun. And I painted the seat frame. Then I turned my attention to doing something to improve the comfort. Toyota does not sell the foam cushions anymore, and I could have MAYBE bought seat foam and carved it to the right shape, but I just did not think that would work out well for me. In the end I decided to cover the wire seat frames with outdoor carpet (to keep it from sinking into the foam), and then I glued a piece of 1/2" high density foam to the back of the original seat cushions. Currently still working on the seat back portion, so I don't have a full report on whether it's actually more comfortable or not, although it HAS to be better than it was. The glue is drying now on the foam, so hopefully tonight I will do a bit more work on it.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:13 AM

And finally here is the seat fully assembled. The only thing left was to put the Cabelas seat cover on, then install the seats.

Here they are finally installed. I sat in the pass seat which is un-rehabilitated and then moved over to the drivers seat. Very firm feel to the seat now, I feel it sits me up higher and it supports my back a little better. Kindof a lot of sweat equity for 30 year old seats, but I think it was my only realistic option. I wonder what an upholstery shop would charge per bucket seat to do a full rehab. I think my next step is to purchase a vinyl floor from Rock Auto, and when I remove the seats to install the flooring, I will redo the pass seat with the same steps.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I seen you went to the GSMTR and knew Jason from Tn was there and told him that he may have run into you. He said he remembered seeing your truck there. I see Florida is about to get hit some bad weather, hope you are far enough south to miss it. Your seat cleaned up well. Surprising how much dirt gets in them over the years.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:49 AM

Thanks Terry, that seat was a ton of work. Its very firm now and i feel i sit up higher, so i think it was worth it. Yeah Jason and I were on a trail ride together, his 3rd gen is pretty well built and he had no trouble. His Podcasts are pretty interesting and it was cool to meet him in person. I'm hoping to do a few things to the truck and take it back up there to Windrock.

And thanks for thinking of me with this Hurricane, we are way far south in FL, so nowhere near the path of this thing.

Last edited by coryc85; 09-02-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 PM

Since I'm planning to put some vinyl flooring down, I need to do something about the rust in the drivers floor pan. There are 2 small holes completely through the metal, one maybe the size of a quarter, one a little smaller. I think welding them up is really what I need to do, so I started chiseling up the Toyota factory floor insulation to make sure I clean up all the rust. The rust, while not bad in most spots, is more extensive than I thought. I'll probably end up chipping off most of the factory insulation to get to every rust spot. I'm clean it up, weld up whatever I need to and then POR-15 everything.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:52 PM

In the spirit of cleaning up some of the aesthetics of my truck, I felt the wheels were kindof an eyesore with the peeled paint and surface rust. So I did a little wire wheel cleanup and hit them with some spray paint...

While the wheel was off I thought I would address the rusty brake caliper as well

And there it is back on...I read several threads on painting wheels where the overspray did not stick to the tire, so I figured I wouldn't do any masking and just wipe the overspray off, but it seems to be stuck pretty good.

It was nice night, so I took the family out to dinner in the 4Runner and on the way back the Charge and Brake lights came on. Might be starting to have some alternator issues, have to investigate that a little bit.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Your rim and caliper is looking great. I seen on Rads thread I think it was and you are having a Hot Start Issue? The way I go about getting one to fire up and some of it I think depends on your compression is about a 4-5 hour job and covers several different areas and can cost a couple of hundred. First I pull the Intake and EGR and get all of the carbon out of the system. Then I get my plugs, distributor cap, and rotor, from my Toyota dealer. I get my plug wires off of ebay (Denso), I get my fuel filter from my local part store. I forget where I got my last Throttle Position Sensor but I go with a Denso on it as well. Yours being an 88, will have the O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe. Usually it will be frozen in the exhaust and you will have to have an exhaust shop to put in a new bung

The TPS, I have seen threads on where they take them a part and clean the tracks on them. From my experience most are original and even though you can get them to pass test, they are just worn out. Now if I know it is an original TPS, I will replace it. It cost about $100 for a new Denso TPS. As simple as it may sound, just using a meter and feeler gauge to get the TPS setting correct, I have a tough time doing it. Now I just take it to my Toyota dealer and I know a guy that is great at setting them. He can get it spot on to where it needs to be set. I am able to double check his work and know it is correct. Make sure your guy knows what he is doing. Toyota charges me 1/2 hour labor or $35 to set the TPS. I then just put the Throttle Body back on the Plenum.

After you got all of your cleaning and parts on, a Haynes Manual is great for setting the Valves and then Timing on the motor. I still have to follow the manual for getting all of the steps correct. I also forgot to mention take a brass tooth brush to all the sensors on the motor. You may not need to do every step above as you know what parts are recent and in good condition. As a quick possibility, I would suspect your valves being out of adjustment. I think the manuals call for 8/12 but time you get the valve cover off, the motor has cooled and I go with 7/11. Just go one setting under what the manual calls for.

Where you live, I would not suspect your Cold Start Injector being and issue but I would check it for good measure. I cant remember if there are other sensors that you can do a resistance check on off of the top of my head but if they are in the manual, I would check them too. If you disassemble your Intake system, might want to see if the screens in your injectors are clean and no debris is in them. To flush out the screens, a can of WD-40 with the red plastic hose will clean out any debris from the screens. Fuel systems can get nasty on these. I would not suspect you having an fuel pump issues just because it is a daily driver.

I have never gotten any codes for a bad AFM. Only time I have ever gotten a code for an AFM is if I left it disconnected from the wiring harness. Check to make sure the flapper is operating smooth and free. If it is slow to respond, it can take a few seconds for the flapper to move and energize the COR then the fuel pump. I have some bad AFMs in the past that were terrible and never threw a code.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-19-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 AM

Terry - those are all great points, nobody has gone through more of these Toyotas than you and I appreciate you sharing your process.

I have never cleaned the carbon out of this intake, I have the vacuum to the EGR removed, but there is no block off plate under it. Also the TPS is most definitely the original.

I don't really suspect the fuel system because the filter is not that old, and the injectors were swapped out for those Flamethrower ones. The tune up is not fresh, and I have not adjusted the valves in years. The plug wires have not been changed since I've owned it, so I don't know their age, but more than 5 years old.

I think a good tune up and valve adjustment is definitely warranted....I have a new OEM cap & rotor, but would need to get some plug wires and spark plugs to do a tune-up. Do you have a link to the plug wires you get, or just search on eBay for 22re denso spark plug wires? I'd really like to follow your advice and clean the carbon out of the intake as well...lot of work but I think it could use it.

And to top it off, now I have the charge and brake light issue...my brushes are a few years old, but perhaps there something else wrong. I have to do some investigation there.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Swapping brushes on your alternator is easy to do with a solder gun and might get your alternator working again. Those brushes can get short. I get my brushes from Orielly and I think the name is OE Direct and is a great brand. If your alternator has more issues then just brushes, I would suggest finding a place that rebuilds alternators and that they know what they are doing. A part store has them rebuilt in Mexico and they are mostly junk in my opinion. I had them bad out of the box and used the parts off of the part store to fix my alternator. Part store will want about $100 with exchange. To get a alternator rebuilt is going to cost about that. When you compare the new brushes to the old brushes in length, I think you will be surprised at how worn your brushes are going to be.

I used to be anti-EGR but I really think the EGR is what makes these motors run so long. By introducing hot exhaust gas into the cylinder, it actually cools the burn of fuel and spares the motor of heat damage. The EGR makes a big mess and wear rubber gloves when cleaning the carbon out as it will stain your hands for a week. I pull the Throttle Body off of the Plenum and take it to the car wash and spray it out. You may want to take a long screw driver and break out the big chunks of carbon before going to the car wash. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51647988 The EGR pipe is most likely going to be clogged, follow my suggestions in the link for getting it cleaned out. Use a pair of vice grips to get the screw out. A screw driver will strip the screw.

You can get Denso wires cheaper then the best that part stores offer. Part store brands, the wires will work off of the cap and cause a miss. They just wont stay in the cap at times. Denso 671-4003 is factory and really are the best in my opinion.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=671-4003&_sacat=0

You can find some threads on the TPS and get it to pass test in some cases, but in one mile look at how many times you are on and off the throttle. Those electrical leads and fingers have literally been rubbed millions of times on a truck with 100-200 k miles on them. That is one part I will replace if original and I am a cheap scape but not in the TPS. You may not be able to get the exact part number that is on your TPS now as I think Denso has upgraded or improved it with a newer part number. Make sure you get the correct replacement. I forget where I get mine at for the TPS but is easily found.

I now remember you getting a set of Flame Thrower Injectors. They are great for the 22re so you wont have any problems with those. RAD talked me thru the phone on doing the Starter Upgrade and Toms 86 extra cab pick up I have done for him, both are surprised at how fast the motor will start. In 1/2 to 1 revolution of the motor, it will start right up when everything is in sync. These are one quick starting motors when done right.

Since you have swapped injectors and know what is involved with dis assembly, I would allow 5-7 hours work on getting everything done from tear down to re assembly.If you have great compression on your cylinders on your motor and in stock form with 4.10 and 31 inch tires, you can get 90 miles per hour out of these trucks. 90 is pushing it but it will do it. 85 is easy to get out of a well running truck and has descent amount of power. Since you are geared different and 33 inch tires, yours will be a little different. I dont know what it would be like but still should be good.

A little more information https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52147101 I found while looking for some information for another guy.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-21-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:58 AM

Terry - thanks for the links, I appreciate you compiling all that info for me. I've got some time off coming up for the holidays, so hopefully I can knock this intake cleaning out. Been wanting to do that for years.

Quick Reply: coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread