86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Terry - thank you for the offer. It's not all that hard to disassemble the case...the link to Marlin's instructions are here http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...1-gear-install

Right around step 30 is where you are getting to the hi/lo shift rail. I'm exploring every avenue to get one, including possibly getting one from a dealer, but the part might be not available. If you can get it out, I would appreciate it, if it's a lot of trouble then don't even worry about it, I'll find one somewhere.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
Terry - thank you for the offer. It's not all that hard to disassemble the case...the link to Marlin's instructions are here http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...1-gear-install

Right around step 30 is where you are getting to the hi/lo shift rail. I'm exploring every avenue to get one, including possibly getting one from a dealer, but the part might be not available. If you can get it out, I would appreciate it, if it's a lot of trouble then don't even worry about it, I'll find one somewhere.
Call yotamasters.com on the phone, Cory. He always has lotz of spare parts of that sort. He'd ship it to ya if he has it. Eric, the owner, will likely answer.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Call yotamasters.com on the phone, Cory. He always has lotz of spare parts of that sort. He'd ship it to ya if he has it. Eric, the owner, will likely answer.
Mark - I will call them Monday, turns out I also need 1 detent ball and the spring for the shifters as well. Thanks for the push

Last edited by coryc85; 10-26-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what model of trans do you have cory?
i have a shifter seat an ball that martin crawler sent me by mistake an said to give to a friend dont worry bout returning it

so ive got the white seat if it'll fit its yours let me know
Old 10-27-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
what model of trans do you have cory?
i have a shifter seat an ball that martin crawler sent me by mistake an said to give to a friend dont worry bout returning it

so ive got the white seat if it'll fit its yours let me know
Dragon - thanks for the offer buddy. If that is the tranny shifter socket, which I think it is, then I believe I have already changed that out for a Marlin one...I will check though and get back to you.

Started installing my BJ spacers today. My balljoints themselves are not that old, so I won't be changing them at this time. I did grease the upper and lower joints after I installed the spacer.

Here is the pass side with the ball joint unbolted from the UCA.
Name:  IMAG0640_zps27f36a3d.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  76.2 KB

I used a big socket between the bumpstop and the UCA to keep the arm up.
Name:  IMAG0641_zps6e3d8634.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  100.6 KB

Here it is fitted in there after trimming the lip.
Name:  IMAG0642_zps2198401f.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  76.7 KB

And wheel back on. I turned the wheel like that so I could grease the lower balljoint.Name:  IMAG0643_zpsd9585afd.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  74.8 KB

I'll get to the driver side one day this week.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im glad to see they thought of water drainage off the top of the ball joint with that slot in the spacer

ok on the shifter seat just let me know
Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Chef - called Yotamasters...he does not have one. He was kind enough to go look around the shop for one, but did not have one. Also called Marlin and they do not carry them, plus they are out of the hi/lo shaft & fork kit they sell. My normal online dealer says the shaft pn 36314-35030 is discontinued.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have locked up W56 tcase. Probably the same case you have. Let me see if I can find where I have it at and can get the part out of it. Is it something I could get out with basic tools? I have never been into one and practicing on it is the reason I kept it and for parts as well. Just have not gotten around to taking it apart.
Terry - if you don't mind tearing that case apart and selling me the rail, I'd take it, you are a busy man though with a thousand projects so I don't want this to interfere.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 AM

Well, finally found a hi/lo shift rail from a guy on the Marlin Crawler forum...he is shipping it on Monday. It is a rail from a forward shift case, so I have to cut the front end of it off to fit in my top shift case...
Name:  20131030_203232_zps65a75bca.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  296.7 KB

And here is a pic from someone on the web showing how to cut it....since I already have the correct shift fork I won't need to cut that little notched section off for the shifter.
Name:  cut_shift_rod_zps8e249249.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  23.6 KB

If I get the rail next week, I should be able to get the case together in time to install it for my trip to Ocala.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Very good news! Congrats, Cory!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Thanks Chef.

Looong morning in the garage. I finished up the driver side BJ spacer, and wow what a pain. I thought it would be much easier since I had already done the passenger side. I undid the 4 nuts from the ball joint, removed the joint from the upper arm, used my C clamp and a socket to press the studs out of the ball joint. Then I cut the back of the opening to fit the spacer. All that went great. Then I think the CV shaft was binding, keeping me from pushing the spindle back up in there. I fought for a while with that, then decided to remove the diff end of the CV shaft. I did that, and really it wasn't much easier, but I finally managed to wrangle the bj and spacer back up into the A arm and bolt it on. Then I spent a long time prying and jacking on the end of the CV shaft to get it back onto the diff flange. Thank god my studs were long ago removed and converted to bolts. I got it all back together, all my greasable points on the front end are greased. I just want to change my oil and I'll be just about ready for the trip.

I should be getting that shift rail later on this week, and had to order 2 shifter springs and a detent ball as well since I'm missing those parts. It's getting down to the wire on whether or not this tcase will be ready to install before I leave.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coryc you have an amazing runner man!!! I just read through your whole thread and it's definitely inspiring to get out there and do the work on my runner for sure! keep up the great work and pics!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty2286
coryc you have an amazing runner man!!! I just read through your whole thread and it's definitely inspiring to get out there and do the work on my runner for sure! keep up the great work and pics!
Thanks Dirty. I wouldn't use the word amazing to describe my truck, but I do love it. As with most people here on Yotatech, I have spent countless hours working on the truck, and who knows how much money on upgrades and replacement parts...and it still looks kindof beat up. Welcome to Yotatech, look forward to seeing some posts on your truck.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Awesome rig bud. Im thinking of doing BJ lift on my 86 truck, How long did install take?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Yeah, well I think I'm gonna sell my runner and find another one in better shape that I can already be driving....I just don't have alot of time right now to build the bottom end and get it road worthy
Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
Awesome rig bud. Im thinking of doing BJ lift on my 86 truck, How long did install take?
Couple of hours each side. Gotta jack it up, get the wheel off, get the upper ball joint off, cut the arm for the spacer, see if it fits, cut some more, keep doing this until it fits, then get the spacer and BJ to fit back between the control arms, get it all back together, zerks all greased and back on the ground. Some could probably do it quicker, but I found it difficult to maneuver the grinder up in there for the cut, so I used a 3" air cutter and still was not easy, also had those probs with driver side CV binding me up when swinging the spindle back into place with the spacer on it.

So, one thing you absolutely have to do after installing BJ spacers is an alignment. I had some major \ / camber after the spacers were installed.

Step 1 was to adjust the torsion bars to set the height where you want it. These are my initial measurements from 2 years ago...
Originally Posted by coryc85
Doing some reading on the BJ spacers, so I went out and measured my fenders before I start the install:

Front Rim to Fender Measurements:
Pass: 13.25"
Driver: 13.625"

Rear Rim to Fender Measurents:
Pass: 11.75"
Driver: 11.625"

I read that factory height is between 13.5 and 14", so my truck is right in there, although I've got a little side to side variance that I will adjust out. I'm shooting for an inch of lift, so I'll probably relax the tbars a bit once I get the spacers in. A good link on adjusting the tbars is http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...ent-19258.html
The FSM specs the front chassis to ground height as like 11.398 inches, but I'm not sure where that is measured from, so I'll go with tire rim to fender. After the spacers were installed, I set the front height to 15.375 inches rim to fender. This reading put me fairly level with the back end longer shackles, so I am happy with that. Also, from looking at my bumpstops, my uptravel and downtravel look to be pretty close.

Using Matt16's great alignment writeup https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ite-up-163432/

I first pushed the rear cam bolt way out to give me lots of caster. Then I jacked the front crossmember up close to the lower control arm to get one tire mostly off the ground. This made it easier to adjust the front cam bolt to set the camber. I used a carpenters square and just measured from the square to the rim. My method was to adjust the cam, lower the jack to put the weight on the tire, check for vertical camber, jack up and readjust, lower and recheck until I got nearly vertical. Did that on both sides. Here you can kindof see how the rear cam is facing and the front cam.

Name:  IMAG0678_zpseba55f3c.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  84.2 KB

Once the camber and caster were set, I then set the toe with the string method described in Matt's writeup. Loosened the tie rod adjusters and turned them until my front wheels were within 1/8" of toe in.

Name:  IMAG0676_zps01d973e7.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  50.7 KB

Drove the truck to work today, and it feels pretty good. The steering wheel is about a half a degree to the right, almost negligible, but I notice it. I might check the camber and the toe again before my trip on the 15th.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:10 AM

While doing all this work under the front end of the truck, I noticed an oil leak from the crank seal area...

I have changed this seal, probably 3 years ago and not that many miles 15k at the most. But I did use a speedi sleeve at that time. Anyhow, I have another crank seal and oil pump gasket in the garage, so I decided to fix this oil leak. It's only about a 20 minute job to get the oil pump off.

Here is a pic of the crank pulley after I knocked the old speedi sleeve off and hit it with some 150 sandpaper. The groove is still pretty noticeable.
Name:  IMAG0686_zps93a99b9f.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  56.4 KB

I found this post on pirate from Marlin Crawler himself talking about sanding the back edge of the crank seal to let it sit deeper in the oil pump housing and putting the seal in a different spot on the crank pulley, so I used 80 grit sandpaper and sanded the seal down on the back until the metal edge was exposed.

I did not finish putting it all back together, but I will do that tonight. I will put some vaseline in the pump, put grease on the lip of the seal, install fresh oil pump gasket and hopefully no more leaking.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Nice work, buddy! I hope it's sealed up.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Well, I got back last night from HardRock Cycle Park in Ocala. I met up with the FLCA and had a great time, that park is a lot of fun.

Name:  IMAG0723_zpsa32d6cf0.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  106.0 KB

My truck did fine, both on the 5 hour highway drive up there and off roading. There was one hill I could not climb. I got to the super steep part and just spun the tires in 1st gear low range, tried it again in 2nd gear and just did not have the power to muscle the truck up. Since I did not get my 4.7 gears into that case I wasn't able to try them out, I'm wondering if that would have helped. Several inclines when I went down in 1st gear low, the truck was accelerating and I had to use some braking. I would have really enjoyed having the 4.7s to control that better. Also, these guys got me really thinking hard about putting an Aussie or some other lunchbox locker up front.

Last week I ran across a killer deal on a Budbuilt single case crossmember and it was waiting for me when I got back last night, so I'll put up some pics of that soon. The 4.7s will be going in soon along with the budbuilt.

My engine leak seems to be sealed up pretty good, so I'm happy for now. Oh, the truck got a tad over 20mpg on the way up to Ocala, so that's awesome.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. Nice job on doing your own alignment!!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Looks good. Nice job on doing your own alignment!!
Thanks kornhusker...I was pretty happy with the results, it drives pretty good.

Haven't done anything since the trip, just hosed the truck down to get all the sand and dirt off. Hopefully I will get a chance over the holidays to get a few little things done.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Quick Reply: coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread