86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
as ive got a lot of scaley rust under mine (its shoving multiple layers of undercoat off) details on the por process an application would be helpful if it would be cost effective for me
I will detail as much as I can for you Dragon...oh by the way, the por15 company has a paint specifically for frames, called chassis coat I think.

Originally Posted by bbrideau
por 15 is phenomenal stuff, its all in your prep work tho. take your time and be thorough.

when done properly por 15 will last forever =p
Good to know man, I will *try* my best to do it properly, I don't want to mess with these inner fenders ever again.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
POR15 is pretty expensive,... But if you do it properly you can reverse and stop some further resting and save yourself a lot of time on metal work in the future. I was told to make sure you do any of the middle work in welding that you need to do first after coming out and so forth... The news that exactly two directions and considering humidity and everything else, after because I guess it doesn't deal with a million degree welder stick to well? Hahaha... I have no clue as I've never worked with it but I do know that as was said everyone I've ever read it has echoed the sentiment of taking your time and doing exactly what it says.
Yeah Chef, it ain't cheap. My quart of paint and quart of metal prep was $63.82. I'm hoping I don't need more than a quart to do both passenger and driver side, inside and outside. I will be taking my time, and I do sometimes follow instructions.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I was surprised to see your truck had rust on it, but can see where the debri just held water and how it started it to rust. Does your windshield cowl have the black screens underneath it? Some of the screens I have seen have a wire mesh on them and some dont from my experience. If by chance yours doesnt, the screens are interchangeable from different years and from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. I am thinking it may have been in option on some of these trucks but still not sure. It will help keep the debri out, and I have still seen some get debri even with the screens.

I may be trying to fix a transfercase for a guys runner. It has a crack in the back of the case and is leaking. Is tearing a transfer case apart a doable job? I dont have a press or anything so am just wondering if this is something I should or shouldnt try. Worse case scenario, I will swap out the leaky tcase with a good one.

I was unable to get to a computer so have some more catching up to do yet, but will get there. Looking good.
Terry - strangely, I do NOT have those screens on my cowl. Probably why there was so much debris in there..I'll have to find me a set of those.

You can definitely tear the tcase apart, no need for a press. Snap ring pliers will be needed to get some clips off, but other than that you should be fine. Is the housing itself cracked?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I meant to say the screens are interchangeable from 84-88/89, I see some with them and some not. I remember you cleaning your cowl out and how much you had in yours and how suprised you were at what was in there. If you can find a set in the boneyard, they will look warped or twisted a little and they are right and left specific. The ones I have seen have them are alot cleaner under the cowl. I cant say for sure, but some of the screens may or maynot have the wire mesh as they may have all at one time had the mesh on it but eventually came off.

On the transfercase I was mentioning, if you are looking at it from the rear, it has a crack near the top and is about an inch long. Someone tried to repair it with what I think is JB weld. This one is a runner that I will eventually be painting for a friend and he only buys well maintained trucks. You can tell that this runner was well cared for and doesnt show any signs of abuse. Has me wondering what caused it to crack out. He wants me to fix or repair the transfercase and he does have a spare tcase for it but its condition is unknown and this one, other then the crack is a great little tcase. I have a bad tcase and if it is easy to just swap covers out, I would rather just do that.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has mesh, never thought to much about it but now I'm glad i know i have them!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:57 AM

Got my por15 from Eastwood yesterday. Tracking said it left Pennsylvania Tuesday morning and it was here at my house on Wednesday morning. Very impressed with Eastwood.

Hope to get this done this weekend. Happy 4th to everyone...
Name:  IMAG0388_zps9c790966.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  60.9 KB
Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wooohoooooooo! .....GOOP! Hehehe
Old 07-06-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coryc85
Ok Twisted, thanks for spending my money for me
Haha anytime, the stuff is awsome, we took an old chevy frame and took an electric wire brush and handheld wire brushes and took all thhe scale rust off and scuffed the rest then painted it, the frame has been sitting outside for over 5yrs in all the weather and is still awsome just a lil faded bby the sun.

Just be very careful when painting wear old clothes with a long sleeve shirt and gloves, this stuff will stick to your skin for weeks
Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 AM

Wooohoooooooo! .....GOOP! Hehehe
Thanks for checkin in. I'm watching your SAS going on and I can't believe the transformation that has happened in the last month or so.

Originally Posted by twistedyota
Haha anytime, the stuff is awsome, we took an old chevy frame and took an electric wire brush and handheld wire brushes and took all thhe scale rust off and scuffed the rest then painted it, the frame has been sitting outside for over 5yrs in all the weather and is still awsome just a lil faded bby the sun.

Just be very careful when painting wear old clothes with a long sleeve shirt and gloves, this stuff will stick to your skin for weeks
Twisted - thanks for pushing me to the por15...I had heard of it before, it just did not click with me to use it until you mentioned it. And thanks for the tip on using gloves. I'm excited to get this on there and get that rust hole sealed up.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 AM

woohoo! happy rust preventing!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 AM

Been trying to get into the garage for weeks and it just hasn't worked. But last night I put my 2yr to bed and got out there for nearly an hour. I got most of the wires out of my fuse block...just a couple tricky ones left.
Name:  IMAG0420_zps5d1d492c.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  92.5 KB

Taking the fuse block out serves 2 purposes, I can get up in there with the por15 and I can replace the panel with the one Terry sent me to fix that melted EFI terminal.

Last edited by coryc85; 07-23-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 AM

EEP, hate wiring, so much so that i try to stay away form going anywhere near them if i can! Hope you remember where they all go haha
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM

I don't mind it too much, I made a diagram when I took apart the harness Terry sent me...so far everything but 1 wire matches exactly between Terry's harness and mine.

Here's my diagram
Name:  Kick_panel_fuse_block_rear_view_zpse8dab73c.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  93.2 KB

Last edited by coryc85; 05-05-2017 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
love the graphic you found an good luck with it glad you got to work on her
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
love the graphic you found an good luck with it glad you got to work on her
Thanks Dragon. Got a little time this evening also. Fuse block is now out and I started to clean up the flaky rust. Found a hole forming in the floor I didn't even know about.

Name:  IMAG0421_zps05443c94.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  91.1 KB

Got some more wire brushing to do before the por15 goes on.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had a small hole there myself i ground it off and some of the pinch weld packed it with duraglass then primer an undercoat (several layers)
Old 07-24-2013, 05:31 AM

yikes! mystery holes are no fun. I know in the next couple years the kick panel and body mount area on my rig is going to need attention, surface rust is already starting to happen.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM

.......... HI! ..... haha. ....

Really nice, Cory! Your perseverance is really giving me motivation... Even through the pain I'm dealing with, you and others are stocking that fire to just get things right on a few things on my own Rig.

Its not that I have to have something to do or build all the time of my truck... Don't get me wrong. I really actually would love for once to not have to do anything for a while again... You know, like the first time I started replacing things before my 360 page build thread really got any legs... Hahahahaha. Actually I like adding things but it seems like I run into some of the problems... This just gets frustrating. Of course cover the type of modifications I have now they will just be more work, maintenance style, lol.

Always look forward to seeing your updates... Keep up the good work man. I think I will just live vicariously through yours now if I can get mine to be trouble free for a while! Heehee
Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
You mostly see the rust on the drivers side from my experience. Probably had a leaky clutch cylinder at one time and that is what started all of that. My runner came from Florida and is one clean runner as far as rust wise. I wish I knew which part of Florida it came from. Do you see more,less, or the same as rust depending on which part of Florida you are in? Yours is in great shape so dont take it the wrong way. Here in Missouri, a truck from Kansas City or St. Louis tend to have alot of rust.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by bbrideau
yikes! mystery holes are no fun. I know in the next couple years the kick panel and body mount area on my rig is going to need attention, surface rust is already starting to happen.
I have known about the rust since I have had the truck, so nearly 5 years, but I just drug my feet. I'm sure it's a lot worse now than it would have been 5 years ago if I had just jumped in there and fixed it.

.......... HI! ..... haha. ....

Really nice, Cory! Your perseverance is really giving me motivation... Even through the pain I'm dealing with, you and others are stocking that fire to just get things right on a few things on my own Rig.

Its not that I have to have something to do or build all the time of my truck... Don't get me wrong. I really actually would love for once to not have to do anything for a while again... You know, like the first time I started replacing things before my 360 page build thread really got any legs... Hahahahaha. Actually I like adding things but it seems like I run into some of the problems... This just gets frustrating. Of course cover the type of modifications I have now they will just be more work, maintenance style, lol.

Always look forward to seeing your updates... Keep up the good work man. I think I will just live vicariously through yours now if I can get mine to be trouble free for a while! Heehee
Thanks Chef. I'm trying...we've all got struggles in our daily lives and it gets hard sometimes to get both the time and the motivation (obviously Terry doesn't have this problem). Your truck is the inspiring one, it looks good, runs good, and now you've added so much off road capability to it...I'll trade you if it will make you feel better

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You mostly see the rust on the drivers side from my experience. Probably had a leaky clutch cylinder at one time and that is what started all of that. My runner came from Florida and is one clean runner as far as rust wise. I wish I knew which part of Florida it came from. Do you see more,less, or the same as rust depending on which part of Florida you are in? Yours is in great shape so dont take it the wrong way. Here in Missouri, a truck from Kansas City or St. Louis tend to have alot of rust.
You might be right about the clutch cylinder, I'm not sure. My truck has a few spots of rust here and there. It has an original dealership decal on it from somewhere in FL, so I think it has been here it's whole life. I know the guy that we got it from was in Ocala, which is about 6 hours north of me, slightly above Central FL. Since it does not snow here, rust is not a big factor, but it is very very rainy and very very humid, so I guess we get a bit of rust from all the water.

Speaking of the rust...went out there last night and finished scraping and wire brushing. I vac'd all the loose stuff up , and sprayed some degreaser on and wiped everything down. I then hit the areas with the POR15 metal prep spray. I wet it all pretty good, then went inside for 15min to let it soak. Came back out and re-wet the areas and let them soak for another 15min or so. Then rinsed with water and towel tried it. The directions say to let it completely dry before putting on the por15 paint, so I'll do that tonight or tomorrow night.

I will say that the por15 metal prep seems to be some good stuff. First of all it has a strong smell, much more so that the Evapo-Rust. Also, the rust seems to have turned black very quick, seems like it took longer with the Evapo-Rust. Anyway, hopefully the por15 will attach itself well.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:25 AM

Hey Bud! Just stopping by to say sup..... Keep kill'n it!

Quick Reply: coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread