86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good lookin drywall ive done a lot of that in the past
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Cyber - that primer sure can hide a lot! I think it's decent work, if I were paying somebody I'd want my money back, but it's ok. I obsess a lot over imperfections in my work, and then I go look at some other walls in the house that are original and they look like crap, so I don't feel too bad.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Congratz! Nice work! Love the lil "supervisor" in the pic! Haha. It's he shouting ? Lol
Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Cyber - that primer sure can hide a lot! I think it's decent work, if I were paying somebody I'd want my money back, but it's ok. I obsess a lot over imperfections in my work, and then I go look at some other walls in the house that are original and they look like crap, so I don't feel too bad.
trust me after repairing drywall in a 1827sq ft house i bought which had been vandalized you accept a few goofs after a bit paint hides a lot too
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Congratz! Nice work! Love the lil "supervisor" in the pic! Haha. It's he shouting ? Lol
DAD! i wanted a pickup shaped closet!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahaha! Tears of laughter!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Coryc85, Looking good with the painting. By the way what part of South Florida are you located in? You may have mentioned that to me, but I can't remember. I'm down south in the Kendall Area.

Painted primer looks good. Homes are an endless job and time, there's never enough.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:52 AM

one other thing, was checking out craigslist and found a runner check. he might of sold it already as this is the first I've seem one $1000. He states it runs, but has a bad compression in one of the cylinders also no title, V6 (good for a parts truck)

I sent him a email to see if he still has it. Don't need the V6, but Body parts look good and most likely i could use those for the 86 when I start on it.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
DAD! i wanted a pickup shaped closet!
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahahaha! Tears of laughter!
You two are hilarious. He was probably yelling at me to put down the camera and get back to work. He loves to help me out, if I have a screwdriver in my hand, he has to have one also.

Originally Posted by junk4u
one other thing, was checking out craigslist and found a runner check. he might of sold it already as this is the first I've seem one $1000. He states it runs, but has a bad compression in one of the cylinders also no title, V6 (good for a parts truck)

I sent him a email to see if he still has it. Don't need the V6, but Body parts look good and most likely i could use those for the 86 when I start on it.
Junk - I'm in Broward, Coral Springs to be exact. Kendall is probably an hour from me down the Sawgrass to I-75 to the Turnpike. Yeah you don't see these old 4Runners on craigslist much, $1000 is not bad.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Junk - I'm in Broward, Coral Springs to be exact. Kendall is probably an hour from me down the Sawgrass to I-75 to the Turnpike. Yeah you don't see these old 4Runners on craigslist much, $1000 is not bad.
Actually i'm thinking he sold it because the price was $500. i just wanted some of the parts. I already have the engine from the 87 that's going into the 86 once I start the rebuild so I don't care about the V6. The exterior and interior parts are what interest me, plus all the other nick nacks.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would love to learn more about axle gears and shims etc... I usually dont mess with that stuff rather send it out. But Might have to give it a try one of these days
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice to see someone setting up a ring and pinion thereselves!!good work so far!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
I would love to learn more about axle gears and shims etc... I usually dont mess with that stuff rather send it out. But Might have to give it a try one of these days
Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
nice to see someone setting up a ring and pinion thereselves!!good work so far!!

Gizler, Kornhusker - just saw these responses. Thanks for your encouragement. Setting pinion depth seems to be the only real difficult thing about the whole gear setup. I had to take a little break on the truck work in the last week or so to finish up the playroom in the house. I finally got the room all painted, ceiling painted, baseboards painted, and the foam flooring put down. This was originally a party room addition by the previous owners which is why there is a sink and mini-fridge.

I spent all weekend working on that room, but I did manage to make a small bit of progress on the truck....I cleaned out space for it and moved it into the garage so I can pull the rear axles and diff. It's a small victory.

Name:  IMAG0227_zpsd7546b53.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  68.1 KB
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM

Hey Cory,

Room looks great. Kids will have a blast in that room...

Good planing on moving the truck in, seems to be raining down here in Miami every day lately. This weekend I got started working on the trucks TPS (Bad TPS), but I opened up the hood pulled the tools out and what happens rain 20 minutes later RAIN. Closed up everything and put up the tools closed the garage and head for the shower. What happens after I take a shower, bright and sunny...
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM

room looks good!
shop looks better than mine LOL
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Room turned out great. It's always nice to be able to work inside.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when setting the pinion depth (when i did it in tech school) It seemed you go a little at a time on tightening your pinion nut and do a mesh check with paint to check your contact pattern between the ring and pinion. Does this sound correct???

By the way great job on your room!!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 PM

when setting the pinion depth (when i did it in tech school) It seemed you go a little at a time on tightening your pinion nut and do a mesh check with paint to check your contact pattern between the ring and pinion. Does this sound correct???

its what i did in automech classes it sounds easy but isnt if things arent right you have to undo everything to slip in the right shims and or adjust preloads then go right back to torque an lash patterning

i hated doing crush sleeves always had to redo them
anyone who does it right has my admiration
Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by junk4u
Hey Cory,

Room looks great. Kids will have a blast in that room...

Good planing on moving the truck in, seems to be raining down here in Miami every day lately. This weekend I got started working on the trucks TPS (Bad TPS), but I opened up the hood pulled the tools out and what happens rain 20 minutes later RAIN. Closed up everything and put up the tools closed the garage and head for the shower. What happens after I take a shower, bright and sunny...
Thanks Junk - yeah LOTS of rain here in the last week or so. Rain and heat...it's definitely summer.

room looks good!
shop looks better than mine LOL
Thanks Cyberhorn....I don't know if I'm allowed to call my garage a shop. Terry has a shop, I've got a barbie play shed.

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Room turned out great. It's always nice to be able to work inside.
Thanks Giz.

Kornhusker - sounds like you pretty much got it. On these Toyota diffs the pinion depth is controlled by the shims, so you make an educated guess, put it all together and check the pattern. The tightening of the pinion nut sets the pre-load on the bearings.

its what i did in automech classes it sounds easy but isnt if things arent right you have to undo everything to slip in the right shims and or adjust preloads then go right back to torque an lash patterning

i hated doing crush sleeves always had to redo them
anyone who does it right has my admiration
Yep, sounds easy, but if I have to tear it apart several times it starts to get tedious. I'm using a solid spacer by the way, I didn't want to crush a sleeve either.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 AM

if i have to do this in the future im likely gona take mine to a shop let them suffer with the agh LOL

Quick Reply: coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread