86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok, guys, .....I've noticed a couple things. Not sure if anyone would know, on one of them, but maybe on the other things?.... anyway............

1. I still have the voltage/rpm thingy going on. In fact, I noticed that when it's colder weather out, it seems to be even more dramatic. When I'm driving around when it's a really warm day like I'm assuming today will be, .....MUCH less drama from that gremlin.

2. Far as my TICK, ...it's back and it's seemingly worse at certain RPM's. It's about 500 miles, so it might be time to reset my lash again with the new adjusters, ....but I fear it's something else. Why? Because at some Rpms, like FULLY WARM, at 1500 rpm, holding it there, ......it was REALLY clicking away yesterday. And yes, it click/ticks during holding it steady and also during acceleration AND deceleration on the same feathering of the pedal(I was told this makes it much less likely to be an exhaust leak)>> Plus, the Remflex seems to have done it's job...but WHO KNOWS!

3. While driving back from the meeting up with Jason_TN adventure, ....I heard what seemed to be some drama in the drivetrain/Trans/POSSIBLY rear end(doubt the latter). It seems like when I'm at 40-60 or so, when I hold it there(even more loud when letting off the gas at those speeds while it's coasting in gear)....it makes somewhat of a "jake brake" noise(not quite that loud, but definitely a steady vibration/resistance of some kind).

I suppose I can get in there and check the lash again, but I REALLY find it hard to believe, at this point, that THAT is my issue. We'll see, because if I check them and they're fine, .....I'm probably going to PULL THIS FREAKING HEAD!............ yes, I've had it, guys.

My other worry is that the clicking, NOW(SEEMS to be a lil bit of a different noise/location now) just might be a wrist pin/rod knock because it's SUDDENLY......"What might be the same but I'm concerned IS A NEW TICK/SLAP ....when IT'S COLD!!!!" Obviously, I'm fearing "cold oil conditions can bring out certain lower end issues"........... Plenty of power, no DRAMATIC oil pressure drop, etc.... Which could all change, QUICKLY, I know.

WHATEVER IT IS, IT'S NOT NORMAL....I PROMISE YOU GUYS, I'm not purposely dragging this out or trying to waste anyone's time.

I'm going to go out and check all my possibly relative drivetrain fluids, etc.(for the certain speed noise, 'IN GEAR')

I'm just not sure at this point, guys, what I'm going to do... On top of this stuff I have the oil leak from the front main and oil pan. If I wind up needing a trans or something, ...... Yeah, not really sure what I'll do at this point.

NOT BITCHING, I promise.... I'm not a quitter, but at some point, I have to be DONE WITH THE BASICS,.....am I nuts for thinking that? lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Chef, I've been here and there and skimming a bit. I have not had a ton of time to give it a good read lately.

Just seems like your having one miserable time with this old girl! She's fighting you all the way. The vibration might be your rear end getting dry (not in a gay way, Homey don't play like that!") or a U-Joint going bad. I just did both on my rear shaft the other week.

As for the Tick, I donno. I'd hate for you to pull the head but you may have to. With all that has been done so far it still could be a sticking valve or something like that.

I feel for you...I know you pain. I keep getting a whiff of Anti-Freeze every now and then and I'm getting scared!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hm, sounds like you need a 4.3 Vortec
I kid, I kid. Tis blashemy to mention a chevy motor on this website I know.
I recall a buddies Suzuki having similar "ticking" issues, and all that turned out to be was loose lifters.

Last edited by Mojave_Moze; 04-26-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Hey Lumpy! Long time no speakage, lol....

Yeah, every day that I park it, I block it out of my mind, as I have so FREAKIN MUCH TO DO! lol. But, the bottom line is, it's there, it's not going away, and it SEEMS to be getting louder, even after the adjusters/newly rebuild head/rocker pads and cam looking to be wearing ok/..... OI VEY! lol.

Far as the rear end, I'm about to take a break after lunch and check the trans(it's been leaking, pretty sure), rear diff and 'drive shafts/u-joints'. I keep the latter lubed, pretty well, etc., ...but yeah, sure, they/one could be taking a dump.

You know, I just wanna move on to my brake master, throwing in the thirds and locker, .......but this TRAINWRECK HAS TO END, first! Ya know? lol. Thanks for stopping in, brudda!

Moze, HOWZIT? Glad you're back in play! hahaha. Yeah, .....lifter? I've been through the head, fairly thoroughly, yet nothing is really POKING IT'S HEAD OUT at me, ya know? Plenty of oil up there, cam seems to be wearing properly, rocker pads seemed ok last time I was in there..... Just can't think of anything else but a bad valve or rocker assembly in the 'too much play' realm! lol. It's strange that it doesn't TICK like a pig at idle, ...only at certain RPM's, .....always leads people to 'exhaust leak', first, ......and sure, I GUESS that's POSSIBLE, but not likely from what I've learned on how they behave. I KNOW he didn't resurface that side of the head, FOR SURE, because he left the 4 exhaust studs I couldn't get out, IN! Last time I checked, ...they have to be removed to resurface that face! lol. I've tried with the Remflex, but it's not seemingly doing the trick IF THAT'S(exhaust) the problem, ya know?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM

Well it could be the rockers doin it as well. Sometimes you can get lucky swapping them out without pulling the head and replacing the H/G.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Well it could be the rockers doin it as well. Sometimes you can get lucky swapping them out without pulling the head and replacing the H/G.
I know, .....I almost wish I'd done that while I had all the adjusters out/new-going in. Oh well, spilled milk, hindsight, BLAH BLAH, lol.

It's strange, Lumpy....after replacing the adjusters, it was MUCH quieter,.....till the last couple days. (When I pulled in the garage after meeting with Jason_TN to pick up the thirds...... I noticed it was ticking, so I drove around in the street in 1st gear doing around 10mph/1500rpm and it was not only ticking, it was actually 'thumping' like something else was going along in the same timing, with that racket, ya know?) Kinda like backflow/without the misfire/backfire.

Still have the miss, too. Just seems FAR less chunky when REALLY warmed up ANDDDDD, also seems less chunky when the weather isn't cold>>>>>>?????? Oh whatever. I have a sneaking suspicion it's multiple things, including, POSSIBLY, some wiring harness issues, maybe a sensor/AFM/Dizzy, etc. I would just pay Japanese Auto Center to look at it again(the guy that figured out the CAM thing, using Propane)....but 300$ or so, possibly, when EVEN THEN, I still have that nasty TICK! lol........ As the kids seem to say, CONSTANTLY, ...."What........everrrrrrrrrrrr" lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Thanks chef, I'm glad to be back as well! As far as exhaust leaks go, I know for a fact mine leaks, I gave up trying to fix that problem after going through two mufflers, several feet of exhaust pipe, three y-pipes 2 manifolds, and a mess of gaskets in the time I've owned it. So now, I just believe that the exhuast leak is part of the normal operation....life is easier that way....

But both my toyota and chevy have exhaust leaks, despite numerous attempts at fixing both. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe the exhaust gods hate me for not buying a magnaflow or edlebrock, or something like that. Anyway, point being, if it was my truck making that noise, it would mostly likely be exhaust. BUT thats about the extent of my ticking noise knowledge. Dunno what else to look for really, but hope you get it figured out chef!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Man mark I wish I had advice on the tick, one of those things you really feel like your chasing your tale I'm sure. As far as the driveline sound my bet would be on ujoint I've had them act that way even being well greased. Sorry I can't be more help buddy.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey chef, Just stopping in.

Been hectic lately with work and all, so i haven't had much time to be on the computer.

Hope things are going well.

Holler at me if you need anything!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojave_Moze
Thanks chef, I'm glad to be back as well! As far as exhaust leaks go, I know for a fact mine leaks, I gave up trying to fix that problem after going through two mufflers, several feet of exhaust pipe, three y-pipes 2 manifolds, and a mess of gaskets in the time I've owned it. So now, I just believe that the exhuast leak is part of the normal operation....life is easier that way....

But both my toyota and chevy have exhaust leaks, despite numerous attempts at fixing both. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe the exhaust gods hate me for not buying a magnaflow or edlebrock, or something like that. Anyway, point being, if it was my truck making that noise, it would mostly likely be exhaust. BUT thats about the extent of my ticking noise knowledge. Dunno what else to look for really, but hope you get it figured out chef!
I hear ya, ..... and, far as the exhaust leaks..... I doubt it. IF, by some chance, it's part of the problem, ....I REALLY doubt it could be anything at this point but the exhaust side of the head is warped. It didn't really do this for over 3500 Miles.... so I've got serious doubts that's it. Even with a torch the muffler shop couldn't find any leaks. PLUS, ....my "really loud, driver side rear rocker tower stud" being 5 times as loud as the other 3? YEAH, ....pretty sold on something is wrong in the top end, ...AT LEAST, lol. Thanks, Moze, appreciate you stopping by

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Man mark I wish I had advice on the tick, one of those things you really feel like your chasing your tale I'm sure. As far as the driveline sound my bet would be on ujoint I've had them act that way even being well greased. Sorry I can't be more help buddy.
Hey, Jason! Sup brudda? Yeah, .... I think I've chased my tail so much at this point I have scoliosis from it! lol..... Far as the driveline, I'ma double check by lubing them up, but I just don't know. I'm going to ask a question in the next post on some stuff I checked/found when filling/checking on things today, ...stay tuned, hahaha.

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Hey chef, Just stopping in.

Been hectic lately with work and all, so i haven't had much time to be on the computer.

Hope things are going well.

Holler at me if you need anything!
Hey Bo, hope all is well! Well, ..... Sure, just hop in yer rig, drive over here and we'll slap the new to me Thirds and locker in, all the suspension stuff, .....maybe rebuild my motor while you're here? YEAHHHHHH, .....2 hours, tops! hahahaa. Actually, if you're 'gifted' in drivetrain noise, ..... lemme know.

Next post is from today......
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 PM

I did a video, uploading it right now.............. What I found/did was this........

**** Set my timing at 7*BTDC, instead of 5*. It didn't really solve much, lol....and the noise(TICK) didn't change, either. Seems like it ran a LIL smoother for a lil longer, but I suppose that's just because I've advanced it a couple degrees. Didn't ping or backfire, .....not sure, but IT DID seem to not 'IDLE DOWN' as much when sitting at stop lights/signs... ??? But it still idles down with voltage draw(I know, not related really)

{Just want to add; When I'm holding the idle at 1200 RPM or so, aside from the tick, as I increase RPM and hold it, 1500, etc., I can feel a serious vibration in my foot(not in gear, just idling)... and I can feel a load on the motor through my foot on the pedal.... it's almost as if something is 'kicking in' and causing a huge drag on the motor.... And unless that's my Clutch Fan taking a dump, I'm kinda stumped. Clutch fan seems to work fine, and I never over heat, EVER, 100*F or not.}

**** I filled my Trans with 80W-90 Valvoline..... it was over a quart low....... ..... Which, considering I've been trying to decide which was leaking through the bell housing(trans main seal or rear main)...and considering my motor oil level dropping at all(pretty slow) is most likely from the front main and oil pan....I really have little doubt at this point that my trans seal is good. GRRR! lol.

**** When under there, I turned the rear driveshaft that goes to the rear third, and, in neutral, with the ebrake on, it turned about 3/8", both directions, and I was wondering if that's normal(just can't remember, ....been a LONG time since I changed a U-joint, etc.) Just so it's clear.... the u-joints were turning in unison with the driveshafts, ....the play seemed to be in the rear end side of the shaft(more likely IN THE REAR END itself...right? lol)

I'm going to look into testing the u-joints, etc., but I was also wondering, .... since my transfer case seems to be leaking like a pig.... should I look into that, too? I'm going to fill it up, but need to go get some fluids, first.... used what I had, today.

Thanks, guys, ....any input is always appreciated.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-26-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM

I've got it mark the answer to your problem, sell it to me and let me deal with the quirks. I'm just trying to lightn the mood man because I got no answers for ya, I would think the trany that low could cause alittle racket but not sure. I know most drivelines have some slack but no idea how much before a Guy should worry. I know I'm no help. But I care that counts rite LOL. I really wish I had something for ya mark.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advice Time!

Crank your timing up to 10 or 12* and adjust the air bleed bypass (the little 1/2" plug thing on the throttle body with a screwdriver slot in it) to drop your idle back down to normal. these motors love timing. i have run mine as high as 24* initial.

the u-joints should be checked my looking for side play not just rotating the shaft. to truly check them, you should pull the shaft out and slowly move the ujoint through its full travel feeling for tight spots or looseness.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Thanks, guys! Don't sweat it, Jason, ....yes, just encouraging me at this point is MAJOR to me! hahaha.

Truckman, .... Hmmm, ok.. Just been in so many discussions over this where it NEVER seems to be answered or agreed upon by the MANY guru's I've seen in said discussions, ...hahaha. Ok, that sounded silly in the head, but you know what I mean.....RIGHT? LOL.

Tod and Ted differ on this one, ...but anyway, Tod is more 'strict' when it comes to "Don't go past 8*, K?" haha(He was saying, "with the 261, you might wanna advance it a LIL") .... and I've not problem trying ANYTHING, at this point, brudda, ... Just trying to make sure I understand why some are so worried about advancing it.

Is it possible that the "Mystery Gremlin" with the Miss/TICK/RPM fluctuating at times, etc., .... even if it's not all related, could it be that something in the Valve Train is just NOT ADJUSTABLE(rocker stuff's, done wrong at machinist shop, etc.)...and it's NEVER allowing me to set proper timing and MAYBE causing some 'round town' idle/mileage issues, etc., too? I mean, I'm pretty sure I have a short or something, somewhere, ....and my alternator, even though new, at 60amps max just can't make up for the added load of, ...well, ANYTHING? Lol. But, .... I think there's also something either IGN related(Dizzy, Igniter, Coil, Some wiring/... / Or/AND(?) some EFI components(NAMELY THE AFM, lol)... because I'm having WEIRD issues like it runs much more WEIRD when it's "cold WEATHER" out.......... ??? Come to think of it,....the ONLY thing that is left in the "LOOP" when running the truck on propane, .....I guess, ...would be the AFM, right? Even with the fuel Pump unplugged, Propane running it through the plenum.... it CAN'T run without the AFM, correct?

Sorry, just throwing some stuff out there, .... I'm not 'opposed' in any way to pushing up the timing for a bit. But, ......the TICK, either way, is still there, and, well, ....that's mechanical, period, ......SOMETHING is slappin away in there, lol.

PS> I"m about to upload a video, ....hopefully tonight, if I have time.(from Youtube to here, it's already there).. and if you peeps could at least look at the 9min and afterward portion...I'd be grateful, .....because I CAN FINALLY hear the tick, very clearly, in this video. I think the treble needs to be down a lil and headphones on helps... cuz the K&N ARE SO LOUD! lol. BBl8r, thanks again, Truckman!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Oh, Truckman, .... PS> On the u-joint portion... I'll be pulling the third to put in the new one with the Locker...so I'll check that out then, k?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM

As usual, 'watch the volume', shouldn't be too bad, and since it's largely about the 'TICK', ....maybe use headphones and turn down the treble a lil? I know, ....who's got time for all that crap, right? lol... anyway, thanks either way, guys.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 PM

hey so i hear the tick in this video and guess what i have heard something close to that before on my buddies 86 we found that some of the rockers where messed up and that his timing chain guide was worn slap out now if i remember correctly you put the metal one in there not the plastic whatever one but being as you had cam issues before i would look at the rockers his also jumped time back and forth twice on the way to my house to do all the work but i think that was because of the timing chain.

any way just a thought wish i could help out more

ps my old 94 made a grumpy noise because one of the yoke bearings got a ruff spot and the excess play could be in the tranny so put the truck in gear and try again rotating the shaft if it still dose it you may have dropped some needle bearings and need a new u-joint so my vote about the rear-end noise issue is just put in your new2you gears and locker and wile you have it out put in the u-joints

Last edited by nvtoyota; 04-26-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:50 AM

It sounds alot like my truck does (before the exhaust leak starts screaming at me). we have yet to tear into the motor but we believe the noise in my 22 is just the timing chain. We wont know till/if we ever adjust it. It was a junkyard motor out of a 91 it prolly has 120000+ on it at the moment. It had 90k on it when we installed it. We never did any adjustments in the last 30k so well see if we ever tear into it.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Ok, I can't watch all the vid at work, I have to "work" a lil today.

For the U-Joints just wiggle the shaft, try and move it about not so much rotate it. You should see the play in the joint if it's getting bad.

I agree with NV on this...get the gears in change the U-Joints and the new gears will also rule out the pinion bearing.

Get a new or new to you rocker before the head gets pulled. It has to be that or a valve.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM

Got a chance to here the vid...

1. shoot that damn bird or what ever the hell that thing is
2. From what I heard it was more of a rattle than a tick
3. shoot that damn bird or what ever the hell that thing is
4. Gotta be valves or rockers
5. shoot that damn bird or what ever the hell that thing is

Just drive it! As for your fuel mileage. I get on average 20-21 on mixed driving. 16 miles of 45, 16 miles of 55 and about 10 or so of 35 a day. I get about 250 out of a full tank.

shoot that damn bird or what ever the hell that thing is

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread