86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha...... You guys are funny, lol. Sweeet! I'll be grabbing whatever Extra Grub I can on Sunday, Jason, .......not sure it would make it back to Rob though, hahaha. Heck, ....sometimes there's almost NOTHING left, ..but I should have some of my Glazd, Spiral Sliced Ham, .....IT'S INSANE! Just not sure how much, lol. I'll also have a Cluster and Tail Light Covers, .... tell the wife we'll swap some grub and Yota-Goodies! lol.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets see what do i have around here i could hold ransom for some chef food

so how is this wiring project coming wish i was closer i would come help you knock it out

Last edited by nvtoyota; 04-23-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Hey NV<

Yeah, it's not coming along at all, hahaha. I have so much going on, I've not been able to get out there. That's ok, come Monday, I should have the Diff's and a couple day's play I've planned for......... But , .......plans don't mean much for me in my life, hahaha. So, we'll see. Thanks for wanting to help though!

Actually, ...I just was reading on a thread that showed some weird wiring issues in a place I would never have thought of, .....and even though it's a 'starting' issue, it's got me wondering how nasty my wiring is up under all this harness stuff, lol. Hope the ground things solve something, ...but I'm pretty sure I either have a short or some corrosion somewhere, ...something. I'm going to try to pull some power directly from the battery with something, just to see if my issues are largely in the steering column/cluster, ya know? Why not, can't hurt anything hahahaa.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:22 AM

you can check the resistance in the column with a multimeter also your truck is getting up there in years and i am willing to bet some of those ground wires look pretty nasty so just changing those will help
Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Oh, I know, ...they're old, many heat cycles, etc. BUT, ...even the grounds check out ok with a multi-meter. So, while I KNOW it will help conduct better.... I'm not sure it's related to my voltage pull/idle drop. We'll see though, eh?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 AM

you said it dose it when you step on the brakes maybe just maybe you have a short in one of you're tail lights or the harness and causing the draw or maybe your brake pedal is pinching something causing a short you never know just a thought
Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 AM

That could be part of it, .... I have a reverse light issue, where I almost always have to tap on the pass. side cover to get the reverse light to come on. I'm going to dig in that one anyway, so we'll see if it's corroded or something in there. Looks fine from the outside....but something is DEFINITELY tweaked in there.

However, .....even if I'm sitting at a stop where I don't have to apply the brake, the signals and headlights pull a load and drop the rpms. That's why I wanna try to pull power from the battery with some extra light or something just to see if it's more alternator related or something shorted, etc. I will do the grounds, first, however, so we'll see asap
Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 AM

the said that'll work foe her but what does she have to do to get one of those hamburgers You showd all us awhile back LOL. I don't know were the voltage regulator is on these trucks but is that a posability. What I mean is could it be letting the alt work harder than it needs to when it senses a draw. Just a thought man I don't know.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Mark, check out scubas build thread for his Tacoma... He installed an idiot light to show him his battery voltage and the impact on his charging system... While goofy looking, it may provide useful while troubleshooting your problems...
Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM

Hey mark Just throwing this out there, there's a pretty good chance I will have some down time Mon evening Tue for awhile if you got anything. You need a hand with let me know, I will know. More monl
Old 04-23-2011, 01:18 PM

man now its just going to bug me until you figure it out
Old 04-23-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
Mark, check out scubas build thread for his Tacoma... He installed an idiot light to show him his battery voltage and the impact on his charging system... While goofy looking, it may provide useful while troubleshooting your problems...
No, that is a pretty good idea, actually. I was thinking of digging out this voltage gauge I have from an old hot rod, wiring it up just for a bit to see if my voltage is actually dropping WITH THE rpms.

PS> Glad your rig is getting all snugged up, Troy! Not sure if you saw my message on your thread... Napa ALWAYS has had every Tap, etc., that I've ever needed. They also order them. HOWEVER, if you got a good deal on a set at Sears.... SWEET! CAN'T hurt to have that on hand, for sure!

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Hey mark Just throwing this out there, there's a pretty good chance I will have some down time Mon evening Tue for awhile if you got anything. You need a hand with let me know, I will know. More monl
Hey Jason, ......really? Well, I sure will let you know. I wish I could be ready to maybe just slap in the diff's... but alas, ...it's my main DD, ....thus, ...I can't even pick those up without my rig! hahaha. S'all good. I'll hear from you Mon and let you know, k? I hate for you to come all this way out of your route unless I have something substantial, lol.... but you ARE BOTH welcome to hang out for a bit if you wanted.

Originally Posted by nvtoyota
man now its just going to bug me until you figure it out
I hear ya, and thanks for throwin in some 2Centcycles! lol.... Seriously, that's usually how this stuff get's solved. That is not a SUPER thorn of mine, wiring....it IS just second to Transmissions though! hahaha. NEVER know....I might find it in a day, or might end up at another guru seeking electronic enlightenment on the Yota! hahah. I WILL NOT chase my tail for weeks on this though, PROMISE you that. If I can find a good enough 'step by step' of the probable culprit list of to-do's.... I'm on it like a blanket. I can search for corrosion and severed wires like any pro can, lol..... BUT NOT IF I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK! hahaha.

I'll let you know ASAP, NV, no worries!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 AM

Good thing about old models liek ours chef, is theres not many places for wires to hide! ...then again, I've removed about 50% of my interior, so theres even less places for the wiring harness to hide o.O

Oh yeah, and Hi, how ya been? I'm back, by the way
Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM

I've been good, Moze! Glad you're back....... I'll be watching to see whatcha do. Stay safe up there, man!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 AM

OK, so I met with Jason_TN(And his sweet wife) last night in Anaheim to pick up my Thirds and give him a couple things for his project. REALLY NICE TO MEET YOU, JASON AND REGINA! Oh, that lil fluffy friend you guys have is really cool too... SUCH a cool dog!

Met up at a large Food Storage in Anaheim, CA, where the Security rolled up when I got there, saying, "Can I help you?".... I explained about meeting Jason, and he was really nice, drove off and that was that. Bout 1/2 hour after Jason got there, we were just talking over my motor and stuff, standing by my truck, and the guy came back by, asking, "How it goings?", To which I answered, "Great, we're just discussing building our trucks", ..... he grunted, drove off, and another, 18 year old with a flashlight showed up and said, "I spoke to my supervisor and he said you guys got 2 minutes to vacate the property, otherwise the OCPD will be by to deal with it"..... WHAT THE HECK???????? TOTAL power tripping punk! No one had ever asked us to leave, and Jason, btw? DRIVING AN 18WHEELER THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO DROP OFF THERE! Honestly, Jason, ....I was about 1 twitch from SNAPPING on that grunt, ....but all that would have done was stick me with a 20 minute Q&A with OCPD! hahaha.

Thanks again, Jason, and also thank you to YotaRob!

Here's Jason and me, just about to be rushed by vicious security! lol.... Then one of his lil pup, the vicious beast! hahaha... VERY friendly dog...........

And can you say "Locker", Boys and Girls? hehehe. These are the thirds, 4:30's, going in asap........THANKS, ROB! ....................

Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice score Mark!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 AM

And guess who was in the shack when I went back to check in Mister freindly oh well he got to feel like a big shot for s few. Mark I'm Just glad I got to help you out.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 AM

Sweeeeeet new gears and a locker
Old 04-25-2011, 02:22 PM

Mr. Mark this is Regina I just wanted to thank you for your kindiness. I am so glade that I got to see your runner, I hope that when Jason get's his done that we are blessed and it looks and run's that good. It is something to be proud of. I also loved looking at your pic's in step to your runner being what and where it is now. It is an honor sir to know you and be able to see in person what all you have gotten done. And thanks for all the advise you give to Jason along the way, At times it just over whelming and not sure which step is the best next one.. lol Cause we both know I'm not I am not alotof help there. I just love the ride and wheeling part... And p.s. sir my welding sucks but I am great at soldering.. I know I know who would have thought it right.. lol Thank you again for the blessing of you and the honor of meeting you. AND Jason ate ALL of the ham sir, I got 1 bite last night... Wish I was kiding you... But I am not. That was just rude. So now I can say I got 1 bite of something made by a real cheif, so my bragging is limited.. lol It was a pleasure sir.. God bless you till I get to cross your path again and keep you safe for me. Simply Regina
Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 AM

Wow, thanks so much, Mrs. Regina! You're too kind, ....it was my pleasure to share, I only wish I would have had more to offer! lol.

Hope you have a great/SAFE trip from here-on!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread