86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahaha! Yeah, that's a classic. And, in that case, I WIN THE TRUSTWORTHY CHEF AWARD!!! YAYYYYY! lol. Wait, ....what am I saying? hahahaha.

I'm workin on it though.... Ever since my wreck, it takes EXTRA-EXTRA work to keep it off. I actually cook very healthy 90% of the time.... the people I cook for are diabetic and heart disease peeps, ...... requires a LOT less starch and sugars and a lot more protein, good carbs and TONS of fiber to balance it out, hahaha.

Anywhoooooo, ....wanted to get out there and do some stuff before now(11:34AM) but I've been tied up with other thingamadoers! lol.

BTW, WOW, what a crappy looking day! lol. L.A. sure has been odd with the weather.... 90, then 65, then 90, then sprinkling and 60....... WTHeck? hahaha.
The weather here in CO has been the same. Over the weekend it was in the 70s and then it snowed lastnight and horrible weather all day.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oddly enough the same here in Bellingham WA too. the weekend was a gorgeous 70 degree weekend, monday morning was snow and 35ish with afternoon clear sky and 50, yesterday it was 45 and pouring until about 11:30 and then clear and 60 the rest of the day and now it's slightly overcast and 55 at 7:45 AM. WTF????
Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
YEP! lol.....

Well, I'm still waiting for my neighbor to have time to do the AC with me.... NO rush, just lettin ya all know.

Far as "NEWS"? I have a pair of thirds on their way to me, shorty;

4.30's with a locker in the rear already(Spartan).... Totally stoked on that, and I"ll mention who as soon as it's all good with him! hahaha. The spartan is almost new, very few miles on it, and another really cool yotatechie is a truck driver who's bringing them by here(well, wherever he asks me to meet him, s'all good! lol....but you get the point, IN SOCAL! lol) ....so I don't have to pay ' around '1800 MILES SHIPPING!' woot, woot!

Far as the lift, I'm still waiting, but I will give him a call soon, .....I know he's really busy, so I don't wanna be a pest. See what he says and post back to ya! I should say "IFS RESTORE", cuz that's what it is, not just a BJ spacer lift.... It's pretty much EVERYTHING new up there, other than A-Arms, lol.

I still have to deal with;

1. Leaking front main(Have 14th retro-graded OEM seal in my garage)
2. Figure out if Rear main or Main Trans seal is leaking(pretty sure it's the Trans, ...the Rear main went well... either wayyyyyy, one is the issue, and it MUST be fixed.... I"M NOT dealing with this tail chasing crap any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
3. Figure out the miss(AKA; FREAKING GREMLIN THAT'S TORTURED ME FOR OVER A YEAR NOW! hahaha)
4. Figure out the AVERAGE mileage and tune it just right
5. #4 cannot be properly addressed until I MAKE CERTAIN that my Rocker assembly/valve train in some way.... or whatever it is isn't causing my miss/mileage drama.
6. I'm trying to find a PERFECTLY running similar truck so I can swap out his/her Dizzy and verify/rule out that mine is having issues(I've run every test, removed it and tested for shaft play, ETC., ETC., ETC., ETC., lol... Just wanna be sure it's not a sloppy inner bearing or something, ya know?)
7. WHATEVERRRRRRRRRRRR! lol.
8. My truck is AGAIN doing that weird crap where it wants to idle down to 550rpm as it's initially going into closed loop(2-3 minutes after cold start?)????????????????????
9. Wanna FSM-Test my Ignitor, Coil again, ONCE AND FOR ALL!
10. Wanna replace EVERY WIRE I CAN, within reason/without risking drama! LOL.

ANYONE WANNA STOP BY AND SLAP THIS RIG AROUND FOR A WEEKEND? hahhaaha. Jk, ....I'm patient, ...OBVIOUSLY! lol... I'll get that gremlin/gremlins/cornucopia-plethora-like slew of drama I've had beat, YET! Grrr! hahaha.... THINK I SCAREDEDED IT? HEHEHE.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM

wow! im jealous of all the stuff your getting chef! i cant wait to see it when its all done!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mark, I tell you man you need to get in the 4runner and start driving to Texas, you'll prob be here around this time tomorrow and in 3 days you will be driving home in a lifted-rebuilt suspension'd-4.30 gear'd-Spartan locked beast! And if you want me to slap it around a bit we can take it out to my local off road park and I'll put her through the paces until she wants to act right!! Your truck will be too scared to miss!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 PM

Thanks, HB! I'm stoked, I'm just a lil discouraged that I go out and find oil leaking from mysterious places again, ....then, that I still have this miss, etc., ya know? lol.

Rob, I HEAR YA! lol...... I sure wish I could take a few more days right now.....it's just that, ...aside from the Gas to get there(which would KILL ME right about now, hahaha).... and the time to get there(take off a couple days again) and such.....nothing else is holding me back, TRUST ME! hahaha. Honestly, I would LOVE to take a trip cross country again. I've been dying to visit a friend in Georgia and maybe head on to Florida from there, hit the Bahamas for a few days(they have family over there, Missionaries), then back through some northern stuff on the way back! Just seems almost impossible still, until both my girls are COMPLETELY self sustaining, and aside from that, ....... I care for my mom and step dad every other spare minute I have... It's just tight, ya know?(Of course, that's not forgetting to mention the many crises I've had in the last 20 years..... yeah, they've taken a toll as well! hahaha.) It'll happen though... My time will come. Hopefully, I wont have to travel on wheat grass powered go carts by then just to be legal, IF YA KNOW WHAT i MEAN? lol. 6$ by Summertime? YEAH, that's gonna really put the limp on my travel plans this summer, ...but I'M DOING IT, ANYHOW! lol. I'm at least doing the Sierras and Sequoias trip, then through Tahoe and Reno and then West to my Coastal route, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Monterey Bay, Carpenteria, The Mountains along the coast, etc. THAT TRIP WILL HAPPEN, whether I'm putting in a quart every 500 miles or not! lol.

Sure would be GREAT to hang out with ya, Rob, and......thanks, SO MUCH, for thinking of me on the 3rds! You ROCK! lol. PS> I'll PM you back asap, ...just have to finish some stuff up tonight.... probably busy till around 10, running out the door right now!

L8r T8rs!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM

Awesome for the gears and locker!! I think I am gonna go Spartan with mine too. Seems to be the most bang for my buck
Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 PM

cool beans chef your getting a locker and gears man you will find that gremlin one day yeah 6 dollars a gal is just ridicules
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 PM

Swing thru TN on that east trip I could use some help LOL, sounds like you're getting lots of goodies
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Hey guys, hahaha....

Yeah, NV, .... I'll chase it down some day Might just let that same guru(Mr. Propane Diagnostics, lol) lock down every issue, then I'll fix it, ......we'll see. lol.

Yeah, Zach, ....Rob spoke very highly of them. Far as gears, I don't need 5/29'S or anything like that, .... These should work fine. Someday I could do 4/56's.... but it would probably NEVER be a deal like I'm getting with no shipping, etc. I guess I should say, "Never know what tomorrow holds.... so I aint makin plans that big just yet" hehehe.

Hey Jason...... I sure wish I could man. I LOVE touring, even just CA in my trucks...... But that has been SERIOUSLY dampened by the 4.21$ I'm now paying, as of yest, ...fhewwwwww. Trust me, I am NOT forgetting that you haul....... so I'm sure it's PLENTY impacting on you!

ROB, I'M SORRY, couldn't get to the phone til 2AM, ...... sending you PM right now.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM

Hey guys, ...just to show one thing I'm working on....

Gonna replace all the grounds, asap..... Especially the cracked as heck ground that comes out of the harness near the igniter and then mounts to the steering bracket bolt. Haven't decided which ground set up I'm going with... Probably the brass with wing for adding more grounds, etc. Cuz, well, the fixed wire coming out of the other one is like a 12, AT THE BIGGEST, ....so I'm thinking I'll be better off adding my own with that Brass kit. We'll see............ OH, and the separate pic? That's the All Weather 12V add a plug.....

Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 PM

Ugh wireing, glad its you
Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 AM

Come on now electrical is not all bad. Especially when you say forget it about fixing wires and you start replacing entire runs. Even more fun when you want to make it nice and clean looking, get rid of any inline connectors and attach wires with solder and shrink wrap just dont get electricuted.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
if you need any help, lemme know. i've got diagrams!
Old 04-22-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Ugh wireing, glad its you
Hhahaha, .... i hear ya, Jason, .....but actually, I've got the basics down, and it's just a matter of FINDING things and where they go/come from, etc., lol. I enjoy it when it's all done, that's the good part! hehe.

Originally Posted by jmkel813
Come on now electrical is not all bad. Especially when you say forget it about fixing wires and you start replacing entire runs. Even more fun when you want to make it nice and clean looking, get rid of any inline connectors and attach wires with solder and shrink wrap just dont get electricuted.
Did you see my 8" DCepek Lighting Job? You're right on the money, ....... it's ALWAYS more satisfying when you do it right, the first time, and don't wind up with multiple sections of spaghetti soup! lol. I WILL NOT be varying from that plan while doing this stuff, in any way!

Originally Posted by irab88
if you need any help, lemme know. i've got diagrams!
SUP, IAN? Always grateful for all y'all and the info therein that you provide.... as I'm equally grateful to be of any use that I can, thereafter! lol. I will probably hit you up soon on a couple things. One issue I wanna track down is my dropping idle under voltage/amperage load, ya know? I can only guess between whether it's a short/lack of good ground, etc.... So I'll start with the primary grounds, ya know? Once that's done, .....then might need some help tracking down ways to test for possible "GNARLY DRAGGING DOWN THE RPM CULPRITS!" lol.

PS> If all goes well, I should have my 3rds w/locker by some time, Monday! WOOT! lol. I really look forward to this, as it's something I don't foresee any hitches with, therein/during, etc. It should be plug and play, no matter what is involved..... and THEN, I will most likely be dropping my Oil Pan, ONE MORE TIME, and carefully and patiently sealing that bugger up for good! lol. I'm pretty sure I know what happened, ........ especially since I had GIANT SMEARING of the nastiest FIPG(Toyota OEM) on my arm which then took me 2 hours to get off, .....RUBBED THAT ARM RAW! lol. That, and the portion in the rear that dragged across the Bell housing and BH block plate.....pretty sure that's why I gotz some leakijuwayiah! lol. Might not need to drop the linkage in this case, now that I think about it, .......because I will have the diff completely out......RIGHT? hahaha. YOTAROB, .......YOU----DA----MAN! LOL. VERY GRATEFUL, man, that you thought of me when pulling these! JASON-? ....yeah, he rocks too! lol. He's dropping through his route to CA and meeting me, hopefully Monday, to get the diff's and pick up some stuff I have for him!

I'll also be tackling the leaking Front Main Seal while doing all this. HOPEFULLY, that will be the last time I have to crack this Crank Bolt off!!!!!!!!

Question;

* When I had my motor rebuilt...... I got a very low mile replacement Crank that was balanced, etc., etc., .... and flywheel was balanced, BRAND NEW OE-JAPAN Harmonic Balancer...etc., ..... But my question is, "Why do you guys think I'm getting this TINYYYYYYYYY lil leak from my front main area?"

* Add Note; It seems that it's really only actively leaking from there when I turn the motor off. I will have to verify this, but if it's true, ....I am picturing it as the oil that's slung around by the chain, left on the walls in there, etc., is dripping down the timing cover, onto the crank and then OUT THE HOLE! ..... HOW IN THE HECK is this happening? Does this mean that 'oil is FOR SURELY leaking past the front main? Or, is it possible that it's leaking through the Crank/Harmonic Joining? My Crank Pulley assembly goes on fairly snug, ....not sloppy, not 'BFH!', either, lol...... Brand new Crank Pulley Bolt from the Dealer, ..... Just not EXACTLY sure why it's leaking out of there, even with a brand new Harmonic, Front Main Seal(3000mi.) and newER Crank that seemed really clean at the cog key, surface of shaft, etc.

??????????
Old 04-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
SUP, IAN? Always grateful for all y'all and the info therein that you provide.... as I'm equally grateful to be of any use that I can, thereafter! lol. I will probably hit you up soon on a couple things. One issue I wanna track down is my dropping idle under voltage/amperage load, ya know? I can only guess between whether it's a short/lack of good ground, etc.... So I'll start with the primary grounds, ya know? Once that's done, .....then might need some help tracking down ways to test for possible "GNARLY DRAGGING DOWN THE RPM CULPRITS!" lol.
ha, i had that problem. is it dragging the rpm's down constantly or momentarily? if it's constant, then it could be a bunch of different things, like under-powered alt, bad wires or connection to batt, too small of wires, or anything else that would restrict electric flow. i'm upgrading my alt for that reason. if it's momentary, like it bogs down for a second or two and back up to normal, then the battery is under-powered or there's a bad alt connection. not too common, though.

upgrading your grounds is one of the best things you can do for the electrical system
Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 PM

REALLY rough day.... But anyway, I actually typed that post at 11AM, ....and had to wait till I got a break at 4:15pm or whatever it was, to post that, hahaha. STUPID WINDOWS! Oh yeah,....and STUPID MCAFEE! I set it up to scan WHEN I'M SLEEPING, along with Malwarebytes, etc., .....and, well, Malwarebytes does WHAT i TELL IT TO... McAfee? YEAH, exactly! lol.

ANYWHOOOOOOOOOO,

Yeah, Ian, ....my problem is like this;

When I'm cruising around, I'll come to a stop sign and with the brakes on, the RPM drops a tiny bit, sometimes recovers, sometimes not so much. Then, while at the light, I put on a turn signal, ...drops another chunk, ...maybe 50-75RPM. Then, turn on the lights, another 75rpm or so, maybe more. Long and short of it, the more load I put, the more it drops.

HOWEVER, it's even been dropping on it's own when going into closed loop(initial sensor kick in, warmed up to operating temp in the driveway)>>> where I'll come out to the truck and it's idling at like 500-600rpm. Then, I'll take off for a bit, and it only really does that when I stop for a bit, especially with the brake on or other power suckers. Sometimes, as I said, it will recover a lil as I sit there, but not much, usually.

PS> When I start it up, the Temp Gauge will be stuck at like 1/3rd, ...then if I barely tap it, drop. Then, it will be coming up when warming up, then drop off once or twice, then once warm it will stay up for good till I park it. When I swapped out the gauge from another SR5 cluster to mine, that's what I have now... .the other one barely EVER worked, toward the end(before replacing it)... but OBVIOUSLY, it sounds like something in my 'tape-wire' connectors or something is sloppy in there. I've used dielectric grease a bit on stuff, and it helped, ...but yeah, it's still doing it during those times.(I think it's in the dash somewhere because of the 'tap it and it comes on' type thing... .but then that could just be the needle sticking or loosing contact with the rest of it... meaning, maybe the new gauge is not so great either, lol. Can't really KNOW, for sure, ya know?)

I have a BRAND NEW Pro-Model Napa Premium Denso Parts Alternator(you know, their better one..... while I KNOW, they have Green Machine, etc., stuff like that out there, too). I also have a brand new Battery. I GUARANTEE, if I test the battery, right now, it will say around 12.26V. When I test it while running, I'm getting, usually, 14.20 to 14.50V at idle. Gauge reads fine too.

This has been a mystery for a while, so I'll rule out the grounds as best as I can, ....then maybe do the alternator wire and ground to the Steering bracket after that, see what happens.

A couple Guru's, as best as they could online, said, "that really sounds like something is corroded or shorting out, possibly. However, ...... your bouncing timing mark, the miss, ....maybe it's all related, ...maybe if it's not a short it could be the igniter or coil or even A TOUCHY DIZZY". A buddy of mine has thought, "I really suspect that dizzy is a part of all this, .....aside from the CAM", ...but I've never found a donor to slap in there, soooooo. lol. Plus, it tests fine on every account, air gap, resistance, secondary, no real play in shaft, etc............... CRAP, lol.

Anyway, got some cleaning to do, but I'll post up asap when I put in the grounds and stuff.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 PM

sounds about right. as for the dropped idle, i think your other "gurus" are right. these trucks aren't getting any younger, so i think upgrading the grounds and checking the other wiring will help immensely. again, good luck, and i hope you get it straightened out
Old 04-23-2011, 05:08 AM

Hey mark since your such a nice Guy I thought I would let you know first I got this sweet set of thirds one with a locker from a Guy in TX ain't that cool. OK OK just kindling we will see ya Mon. However the wife said she is going to hols them for ransom for some of your cooking LOL.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jason in tn
Hey mark since your such a nice Guy I thought I would let you know first I got this sweet set of thirds one with a locker from a Guy in TX ain't that cool. OK OK just kindling we will see ya Mon. However the wife said she is going to hols them for ransom for some of your cooking LOL.
Nice Jason! I wish I was getting some of Marks cooking, bring me back a plate?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread