86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks alot, Guys, ......

I've not posted much about my trip on a personal level... Just pretty rough seeing pops not able to do much at all.... But I'm VERY GRATEFUL that I still have him and my mother around. Unfortunately, ...he moved to Lake Havasu, AZ.... this makes it a lot harder for my sister and I to visit. Especially my sister and her 2 younger girls(15 and 11)..... who've seen my dad maybe 5 times in 10 years(Oh, yeah, .....forgot to mention, he can't really drive much anymore, either, ...and his wife WILL NOT drive on the freeway for any distance.... especially in LA. Big time Phobia due to wrecks... And, well, my Dad just isn't safe to drive any distance anymore; Falling asleep, driving like a maniac, haha.... Happens to all of us, eventually, ya know? )

Hopefully I'll get out to see him ASAP! It'll be summer and YOU KNOW I'll be hitting that Supercharged Ski! lol. Mainly though?>>> to see him, hang out, hit a movie, shoot the bull.... I just pray that he'll get up and join the gym to swim, etc.! I KNOW it would help a lot.... I'm tellin ya, guys.... TV can REALLY take you out of your game if ya get hooked! RIGHT POPS? lol....

PS> 4Run...... Not sure what you mean on the "NOVA"...They do tend to all look alike when all modded, lol...... Lot's of Camaro's in his shop, the black one is a Chevelle and the red one in the garage is my brothers Chevelle... Not sure what the red one on the highway was, ...maybe someone knows?(had two square headlights, side by side on each side of the grill. BTW, anyone notice the motor is sticking like 2 Feet out? hahaha. High Rise Monster, FTW, hahaha.)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-17-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok chef get off the computer and do your suspension. hey while trying to sell 85 4 runner I sold 94 instead. so I may start to make my 85 look like yours and keep it for myself
Old 04-17-2011, 05:13 PM

Hahaha.... Well, I'd much rather do it on a full lift in a REALLY nice garage, ....with this guy who's done it many times..... and having had his A-arms he's given me already stuffed with new bushings when we get started. Wanna do it in ONE SHIBANG, ya know? True enough though.... I can't do any SERIOUS wheeling until I get that wrapped up. Especially since I take many trips solo.

85, eh? Hmmmm, have I seen this one you speak of? lol.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 AM

Chef, I have been going through these 77 pages now for about a week. Its really amazing what you have done. It's given me some ideas on what to do to my truck when I get some time and money, You have a beautiful truck and Im waiting to see where you go with it from here.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Hey JM, thanks a LOT, man!........

Been in somewhat of a standstill for the time being, due to funds, waiting on a couple people, including my neighbor and another bud to have time to do the AC and then the suspension with me, etc.... not necessarily in that order, but most likely, lol. But, I plan on installing a 12V, Waterproof power outlet in the rear of the truck, somewhere, probably in the back seat.(waterproof, because, it spends MANY days with the top off in the late spring and summer.....no top over that stuff.... PLUS< it was just more heavy duty.) I might install it under the bumper somewhere, since a chord can probably reach from the front to the back seats. We'll see.

Really wish I didn't have to wait so long on people, but I'll be grateful, either way, ya know? >>>> IT'S FREE HELP! lol.

I'm also looking for a GOOD BRAND POWER INVERTER! Anyone know which brand is best? I might get a generator as well, but would probably be fine with just the Inverter for now. Especially if I can figure out a way to do an extra, portable battery(that works only when jacked in, for trips, etc.) with an isolator.

I'm thinking of doing a seat swap as well, keeping an eye out for some GOOD COMFY Luxury Buckets. Can't STAND the 'Cocoon' style Rib Huggers~! lol. More like a Lexus or Prius or Sienna Seats, ya know?

I do have a question, .... WHERE DO I START when trying to pin down my "RPM DROP WITH THE LIGHTS AND SIGNAL ON" gremlin? Seems like any power pull, .....but ESPECIALLY with the signals and headlights........
It's dropping from 800 to 600rpm's, just putting on the headlights and turn signal. Really HATE this kinda crap, so any input would be appreciated.....

I still want to replace all my pertinent wiring to the Alternator. Not sure where the draw might be coming from.

thanks, Mark
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM

On the seat swap I've been looking around for buckets for my truck. I sat in the most comfortable buckets last weekend at the junkyard, they were Sr5 buckets from an 85 pickup I believe. Also i have seen some people that have placed MR2 and Celica seats in the trucks which are basically the same setup as the runners.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 AM

Cool, thanks, JM. I know a guy on here who put Hyundai, 2007 or so Sonata or something like that seats in there.... they're REALLY nice. Very lil modification. I have 87 SR5 seats in there, now, ....they're pretty comfy, just worn out. Doubtful that I'll find seats as old as mine in much better shape, so I'm trying to find some newer, more advanced seats to put in. My Dads Tundra Leather Seats, ....OMGOSH, so comfy. He has the loaded TRD package, etc., .....but they're probably too big. So, I'm looking for something more compact. Mine are not back breaking just yet, so I'm ok for now, ...it's more of a 'if I find em, great, meantime other things more important' kinda thing, ya know? lol. But I AM looking out for a swap that worked well for someone. Only thing is, I bet I can't find those Sonata seats very cheap, ya know? Someone else used like 2002 Mustang Seats.... they LOVE em, but had to raise em up a lil bit I think? They took a lil modding, but not bad, either. Guess I'll need a template, ya know? Time to pull mine or at least measure so i'm ready if I come across some GOOD POSSIBLES for cheap, ya know? haha.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 PM

you could potentially put any seat in with modification and width wouldnt be too much of an issue if you are not too attached to other your current center console or even one at all. I cant remember if you had one and what it looks like.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
chef,

for the inverter, make a list of what you would want to run all the same time.. So you know what kind of wattage you need and start from there. I am wondering if you are going to make the inverter water proof or just the plug? I ask this because and inverter will probably need some good air flow.

As for the seats.. I have MR2 seats in right now..

wanna trade? I have been lurking for some 2nd gen SR5 seats... but 1st gen may be and upgrade for me, and MR2 for you.. I don't like the look of my seats... and the bolsters are adjustable.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:43 PM

If you're willing to do some small modifications we put some sion seats in his 4runner and they where great
Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Hey guys, ......

Yeah, I'm kinda planning on getting the measurements and then cruising the GIANT pick-u-part in Wilmington, CA, until I find one that will #1, FIT, and #2, be seriously comfy! lol. Seats on newer models go REALLY quick in most yards, pull your own stuff or not. Scions are nice seats, but a lil pricey in the yards and, well, kinda 'firm', yeah? I have a VERY wide back/shoulders, and MANY buckets dig into my rib cage BAD within 200 miles or even less if it's heavy city stop and go, turn after turn stuff.

I WANT a console... to answer that question. I just had mine reupholstered on the lid. The guy did a great job with 3" padding, to raise it up where it's actually USEFUL on long drives, ya know? lol. I would LOVE to do the Tuffy, Locking one, or something like that, like my buddy Rob2Tech did..... but then the seats options are limited if I do that(those consoles are wider). Mine is thin enough that I think I could get away with even a slightly wider seat(it will allow maybe an inch on the driver side and inch on the center side of the seat, ya know? So we'll see.

Far as the inverter, ..... It will probably be mounted inside the side cubby holes in the rear (behind the roll bar, kinda? The power source that is water proof will be the sealed thing(it's already waterproofish, lol..... I posted a pic of it I think in my "Antenna fix" section of this thread). It's so you can mount one on like the underside of the trailer hitch or something, ...so I can plug in back there with any lighter plug. If I have the inverter far enough back near the tailgate, I could maybe run a couple wires through the fenderwells to the bumper area, with a "socket" plug type thing(kind of extending the plugs for the inverter WHEN NEEDED.....Something I could plug and unplug at the inverter when camping, etc. Far as the size, I would like one at least 1200W, no smaller than 1000. It's really for a laptop and maybe a lil coffee maker I have, etc. The laptop is really mainly for movies and occasionally for photo uploads(I do TONS of photo's on my trips). I was thinking of getting a lil fridge that has like an 850W built in on it,... you just plug the fridge in the waterproof socket in the back and then run plugs off the fridge. Then, just unplug when done with the movie night thing, etc. I'm hesitant to add electrical outlets, etc., just yet, because, .......>>>>

One problem is, ....'AN OLD GREMLIN IS REAPPEARING!' Today, starting it cold, been garaged all night..... it warmed up just a lil and IDLED DOWN TO 500 OR SO, like it was doing, as some I'M SURE remember, when I started this build thread. As I already mentioned, ...at night, with any load, one by one(signals, headlights, brights, brake pedal)....it begins to idle down, more and more each component that's engaged. I doubt the two are related, .....The "When Cold" part?:>>> seems like something sensor wise, possibly the AFM is giving me crap when it's cooler outside. The power thing.... that seems like I only notice it at night because, well, it's the only time I need headlights, etc. But, even in the day, when applying the brakes, turn signals on... it drops like 150rpm on the motor, just from those two things. I suppose it MIGHT be related, ifffffff ...... maybe my Dizzy is demanding dramatic load once going into closed loop(just warmed up, sensors kicking in)...... Just don't know. Not about to throw parts at it..... so unless I had a PERFECT running, no miss 1st gen to swap it with.... I'll have to wait on that one, lol.

My timing is still bouncing a lil with the light on it.... and jumped at the diag. port.... I'm showing a jumping back and forth from 5* to 8*btdc. It seems to stay on 5 for a lil longer of those jumpy periods....but WHATEVER. Ted of engnbldr suggested slapping the timing up to 7* base and 10* max(it might jump less at 7*, so I'm just assuming it would jump 3* like it is now.)

Only things left from original on this rig are;

1. Dizzy
2. CSI time switch
3. EGR and Modulator(not sure I cleaned it REALLY well.... I was still learning at that point)
4. BVSV
5. Charcoal Canister
6. Booster and Master Cylinder.
7. AC Compressor
8. Coolant Temp Sender(the one on top of the main intake, for the gauge)
9. And, well, ALMOST ALL the wiring, HARNESS or Chassis wise, lol.

I thought maybe my Signal arm might be causing something..... since the lights and turn signal, same arm, etc. BUT, ....I can just apply the brake and IT WILL drop slightly. I also at one point thought that to possibly be the booster, remember? Not likely, I found, as when I disconnected the booster, I had the same strange idle rpm issues when applying the brake. (Pretty sure,....I'll have to read back, ..GOOD LORD! lol).

I'm starting to think it's two separate things, pertaining to each problem of just warming up(doesn't do that REALLY low idle thing with no voltage load except when just warming up.... after a bit of driving around, it's fine). The voltage/rpm drop relationship.... I'm thinking that might be something with my Alternator wiring, etc. I was planning on doing ALL new grounds(I've done 2)..... and maybe looking into the harness on the alternator side of things.... then replacing what I can, if ANYTHING looks questionable. JUST NOT the wiring guru, here. I'M LEARNING, learned a lot.... did the truck lights, etc. But I'm not like Brandon or Ian on this stuff just yet, lol. This is why I haven't done the alternator upgrade, ya know? I mean, I have lifetime replacements with these Napa-Denso ones...... and sure, they're 70A, but they should be FINE since I don't run OBA, or anything dramatic like that, ya know? Secondly, ..if I DO have a wiring issue in there, somewhere,.... why bother to upgrade if I'm just going to be drawing on a brand new mod, ya know? I'll test the voltage, etc., tomorrow, (Battery and Alternator), maybe some other Multi-Meter checks, .... Have a day off. So, while I'd like to start adding things, I WANT THIS DONE WITH, good GRIEF! lol. Stupid Gremlins... they're just MEAN! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-18-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 PM

If you can find a set of Recaro buckets out of a early 90s GLI, they are really nice. Thats what I have in my truck. They are really nice. The only thing that might be a drawback would be the back with you bein a bigger guy. But then again both me and my old man are bigger guys and they are very comfy.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 PM

HEY Z! How's it going? I'll look into that, thanks, .... I was editing the post above you when you entered yours... so See above if interested in the PLETHORA of info I've just laid out! hahaha.

Good to hear from ya!

Mark
Old 04-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
If you can find a set of Recaro buckets out of a early 90s GLI, they are really nice. Thats what I have in my truck. They are really nice. The only thing that might be a drawback would be the back with you bein a bigger guy. But then again both me and my old man are bigger guys and they are very comfy.
recaro buckets are great if the person in them is average in the chest and shoulders but us bigger guys catch hell in them after about 20 miles nothing against you Z i dont know how big you are but i am not a small guy and my buddies GLI is a nice car but i cant ride in that thing long before my back is killing me but i also have some messed up disks so chef mite like them just putting my $0.2 in

finally saw the pictures full size nice truck chef

Last edited by nvtoyota; 04-18-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 PM

Thanks, NV!

Yeah, I need to lose some weight, I KNOW that much, fer sher! lol. But, even down around 200LB. where I look really fit....... I'm still really wide in the shoulders, lats, ribs.(54" Chest at least?) One thing is for sure, ...my seats? I can feel the frame parts in the upper bucket portion through the fabric. The padding has just worn in after 262K and 24 years. I have a wedge/butt pillow I use all the time, but especially love during long trips..... Broke my tailbone really bad 15 years ago..... Steroids, etc., it never healed right and KILLS me if I sit too long. Anyway, ...... an example is, my Bosses CRV? Can't sit in those too long. I drove it to AZ, had to use a Outdoor Seat Cushion/cover with the back/bucket portion filled in by a smaller flat cushion.... REALLY helped. I actually didn't have much problem at all. it's 400 Miles, the trip I took, maybe more. The tailbone hurt worse than anything.... so I guess I need something with not such an aggressive bucket/lat-cuddlers, lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 04-18-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 PM

man you sound like me. my 94 had the 60/40 and i could only handle that thing for about an hour but like i said i had over 400,000 on it and just couldn't ride the broken old seat anymore i got some dodge dakota bucket seats out of a late 90's early 2000's and those where awesome for me but it did take some modification also have you though about jeep seats guys are always getting rid of them and they are just a flat old bucket seat
Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
HEY Z! How's it going? I'll look into that, thanks, .... I was editing the post above you when you entered yours... so See above if interested in the PLETHORA of info I've just laid out! hahaha.

Good to hear from ya!

Mark
I been pretty good. I jus started a job at a movie theatre, so now I can start doin more stuff to my truck. I did read the plethora of info that you posted. You might want to check the coltage regulator in the Alt. Not sure if thats the prob but it could be. Ya know?

Originally Posted by nvtoyota
recaro buckets are great if the person in them is average in the chest and shoulders but us bigger guys catch hell in them after about 20 miles nothing against you Z i dont know how big you are but i am not a small guy and my buddies GLI is a nice car but i cant ride in that thing long before my back is killing me but i also have some messed up disks so chef mite like them just putting my $0.2 in

finally saw the pictures full size nice truck chef
I am kind of a bigger guy. 6'2" 220. My dad has Recaros in his Bronco. Hes a bigger guy too. 6'2" 280. But his seats are the ones out of a 89 IROC. Those are the ones I wanted because they don't have the tight back. The only reason that I didnt get a set like them is because people want like 1500 for worn out no foam. Its just a suggestion though. I do appreciate your $.02 though. Im always open to hear it.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks, NV!

Yeah, I need to lose some weight, I KNOW that much, fer sher! lol.
Never trust a skinny cook
Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Outsane
Never trust a skinny cook
so true ha ha
Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM

Hahaha! Yeah, that's a classic. And, in that case, I WIN THE TRUSTWORTHY CHEF AWARD!!! YAYYYYY! lol. Wait, ....what am I saying? hahahaha.

I'm workin on it though.... Ever since my wreck, it takes EXTRA-EXTRA work to keep it off. I actually cook very healthy 90% of the time.... the people I cook for are diabetic and heart disease peeps, ...... requires a LOT less starch and sugars and a lot more protein, good carbs and TONS of fiber to balance it out, hahaha.

Anywhoooooo, ....wanted to get out there and do some stuff before now(11:34AM) but I've been tied up with other thingamadoers! lol.

BTW, WOW, what a crappy looking day! lol. L.A. sure has been odd with the weather.... 90, then 65, then 90, then sprinkling and 60....... WTHeck? hahaha.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread