86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey chef , finally got my rocker arm assembly from lce ! only took 10 days ? the ups dude wouldn't leave it , i guess cause it had 2 have signature ,so left note on door ,still wouldn't leave it .kinda od cause we did the same thing last week when we ordered a honda lawn mower ,we just told ups dude 2 leave it on porch with a note ? lawn mower costs 350.rocker arm assembly cost 429? they left the lawn mower on porch but wouldn't leave rocker arm assembly .i had 2 go 2 ups office 2 get it.oh well enough about that. glad u got ur tic worked out. gonna start building on mine this weekend !!!!!!!woot as u would say.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mfwimg82
it is still good if it is r12
Really? Ok, ....Just out of curiosity, Mike.... NOT DOUBTING YOUR INSIGHT.... I actually wanna learn these lil factoids... "How can you KNOW that it's still good if it's R12?"

Originally Posted by bm87runner
gees your thread is like a freaking story. it had me standing on my toes when you had it all put back together and that dam injector had to clog up. i know that post was old but i was flipping out for you hahah. niceeee thread though man, plan on reading the rest of it. im jealousss right now

brandon
Hahaha, ...yeah, it's been a crazy ride, man! You'll be done in no time!

Originally Posted by waynesworld
hey chef , finally got my rocker arm assembly from lce ! only took 10 days ? the ups dude wouldn't leave it , i guess cause it had 2 have signature ,so left note on door ,still wouldn't leave it .kinda od cause we did the same thing last week when we ordered a honda lawn mower ,we just told ups dude 2 leave it on porch with a note ? lawn mower costs 350.rocker arm assembly cost 429? they left the lawn mower on porch but wouldn't leave rocker arm assembly .i had 2 go 2 ups office 2 get it.oh well enough about that. glad u got ur tic worked out. gonna start building on mine this weekend !!!!!!!woot as u would say.
DANG UPS/NEWBIES! lol.... Might have just been a really anal new guy, ya know, Wayne? Either way, 'IT WORKED OUT', eh? lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 PM

I would think its still good. heck when its in the car for 20 years its still good. as long as it really has some in the tank it should be good. I think you put it on a scale to check how much is left. This is why I went with the 134a too much trouble and money to get r12. I need to top mine off since its getting so hot. time to put the gauges on.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Hahaha, ...yeah, I hear ya, Cougar. Well, then maybe this old Vet would be the way to go. IF HE STILL HAS IT, lol. Besides, .... he has "tons of tools, snap on, mac, others of high quality, ...maybe you're interested in that, too, eh?" said the guy, lol. I think I'll go for it.

Thanks, Cougar, ...I was just hoping Mike would give me confirmation as to "why it's still good according to the ..... stat's of this or that agency"< haha. More curious than anything.

Ok, well, I'll report back as to whether he has it or not. BTW, quite a few on Ebay, but I just hate not having something in my hand nor the inability to say, "Thanks, and I hope it's good..... cuz I know where you live!" ahahahaha, jk.

Ttysoon, Cougar, everyone!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:34 AM

check weight like someone else stated to see how much is in can but the sealed gas is going to be the sealed gas. I have a can for about 20 years can use it today
Old 04-02-2011, 10:36 AM

check weight like someone else stated to see how much is in can but the sealed gas is going to be the sealed gas. I have a can for about 20 years can use it today
Hey, thanks Mike.

BTW, just to be clear, ...It looks like a can of propane, that type can, not like the small 14oz. can's I've seen on ebay. Does that make a difference? Cuz I've seen some cans that are mixed already with mineral oil, etc., etc.,, lol. I would hate to pay 45$ for a can of mineral oil, lol.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 AM

DANGIT, lol.....

The guy who had it sold it 20 minutes after I spoke to him last, Thursday. OH well, ...anyway, I'll find some, and I see plenty on Ebay, but I just feel better with a situation where I can put my hands on it, etc., ya know? Most of the really nice cans, all clean in the box are, well, a whole case, they wont break em up, grrrr, lol. 300$, 250$, etc. I JUST NEED 2! lol.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:25 AM

2 cans and a charge of oil , I would have 3 lbs on hand
Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I didnt think about ebay for R-12. I know when I converted our old truck it was getting way expensive. I remember buying it for not much at all off of shelfs. They keep saying every this is the last year of it as when supplies run out, that will be it. Wish I would of bought it when I had the chance. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 AM

2 cans and a charge of oil , I would have 3 lbs on hand
"charge oil", meaning, "R12 and Oil, mixed" stuff? I found some on ebay, but CL just seems to fly off the screen as I'm typing to them in an email! lol. Thing is, I have a full Jar of R12 Oil from an AC shop guy that's been helping me with info, etc. Wouldn't I just then need the R12 Gas?

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I didnt think about ebay for R-12. I know when I converted our old truck it was getting way expensive. I remember buying it for not much at all off of shelfs. They keep saying every this is the last year of it as when supplies run out, that will be it. Wish I would of bought it when I had the chance. Good luck and keep us posted.
Yeah, I think some still get it, but the reserves are around 20$ a 14oz Can..... where as the new ones(for as long as they last) will be around 45$ each can. EEEEK! LOL.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 AM

??????>>>>>>>>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R12-R...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-03-2011, 01:07 PM

how do you plan on getting oil into system that is sealed from a jar ????One of your ebay links had 3 lbs r12 1 can of oil charge for $59 I think seems well worth it to me.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:10 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DuPon...item25627f007b
Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-C-K...item19c3ca7e02

This is not r12

Last edited by mfwimg82; 04-03-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Hey Mike, thanks..... seriously, I appreciate the heads up, man!

Far as the R12.... I FOUND IT, and it's pristine shape, the cans, only a short time since they were made, and the guy I got them from was another one like Jim of Downey(I promised this guy i wouldn't say who he was, hahaha)... Anyway, he owned a respected performance shop in CA, I'll just say that, and he had PLENTY, ..and even gave me the R12 Hose if I need to have someone else do it for me, other than my neighbor.... Gave that to me for free!

Unfortunately.... he did NOT HAVE the "R12 Charge Adapter" that my neighbor is asking for. He is saying "Yes, you can just charge from the low side and guess, ....but Mark, it's 24, and it could very well leak from the seals, anyway, when under 200# pressure or whatever....but then add 'overfilling it' into the mix? Yeah, you wanna do it RIGHT, and test pressure on the High side while filling from the low." So, I guess it's looking like I wont get to take my truck to show my pops after all! Really kinda bummed on that. I could have ordered this stupid thing days ago if I'd just have been told EXACTLY what to order, ya know? Oh, and trust me, I'm just ranting, ...I KNOW he's very busy and I'm VERY grateful that he's helping me to do it at all, let alone caring enough to not want me to do it wrong, ...ya know?

I could post some pics of what I got, but not sure the T-Hug'n peeps are happy at this point with me...let alone if I show pics of the stuff, ya know?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear that you won't be able to take the 4runner to visit your dad. I know you really wanted too, maybe next time eh? You could always email him a link to your build thread. I know it's not the same but it's something.

Cool deal on finding the R12! No way you could pay a little extra to get the charge adapter over nighted?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Hey Rob, ..

Yeah, maybe, but then I'm not even sure he could do it tonight or tomorrow, so.... probably would be a waste of money ya know? If I order it I'd just have it shipped to his house while I'm away and then when i get back we can do it.

Yeah, it's not really the same as far as my dad seeing my truck. But, .....he's really just itchin to see me pretty bad, so it wouldn't matter much if at all to him. Except, of course, that he LOVES and always has loved the Hot rods I've built, etc., and he LOVES Toyota's and such. He saw it when I got it, and hasn't really seen it much since then. Definitely hasn't seen it since I've done ANY of this work. So, yeah, ...would have been cool(no pun intended, lol)...but I guess it's not meant to be this time. I want to go back in June for a Jet Ski and Pops Visiting packed trip! lol...so by THEN, I might even have the friggen suspension done, too, eh? lol.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Well, it's official....not taking my truck to Pops... but that's ok, I'll take it out there this May for the FAMILY Holiday BEACH BOYS CONCERT AND JET SKIING/WATER SKIING BONANZA, HAPPY HAPPY FUN TIME! HAHAHA

Also, I ordered this today, cuz Napa, NO ONE has them anymore....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...5924&viewitem=

Now, just have to decide how to get the oil in there. (my oil is in a big jug, not a 'charge can') ??????? lol
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chef, I use one of these at work. of course not an R-12 one, but you can buy an adapter. this will do up to 1/2 oz. at a time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Robin...item4cef357b1c
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 PM

WOWWWWWWWWWOWOWOWOWOWOW~! LOL Yeah, .....that's out of my price range for now. Would be a GREAT investment if I was doing it more often though, for sure! Hmmm, ok, now I'm starting to think I get it, ...how the charge can's work I mean. (Pull vacuum from the high side while charging oil from the low)?? lol... Like I said, "I THINK", key words, hahaha.

Thanks a LOT for the response, Truckman!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread