86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Finally got a hold of my neighbor... He's heading to Larry The Cable Guy in Temecula, CA, so he can't do it until Tuesday. He said "Don't worry, we'll get all/if any moisture out of there. We'll do it Tuesday, ok?" So there ya go, Tuesday it is, best I can do? lol.

Gonna go run some errands, but I wanted to share something/expound on something I stated earlier......

*** Since the new adjusters, ....when I start it cold, mostly as before, ALL 4 ROCKER COVER STUDS ARE SILENT! As it warms up, that rear one get's louder than the rest, just like before.

*** Driving around last night, I noticed something else, different than before, only in it's timing. (When I start it cold, not really any 'tick', but as it's warming up, ticking like before.... UNTIL I drive around for 20 minutes, maybe more,....then, I pull in the Garage--where I can hear it most-- and it seems to almost be "tick free" FULLY warmed up.

*** At the same time, when it's FULLY warm, 20-30 minutes, .... If I step VERY LIGHTLY on the pedal, maybe 900-1000 rpm, feathering up and down, ..it almost seems as if the exhaust is choking, kind of a sputtering if you will?

I'm looking into a new Muffler, or at least having this one welded at the seam(Can they do that? Or, is it supposed to just be 'fitted' or 'tapered' in there?) Any ideas of any sales, etc., let me know, k? PLEASE? lol

Mark
Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 PM

PS> .....The tick is still there, same symptoms;

(Cold; No ticking, all 4 valve cover studs are very quiet)

(Warm; LIL ticking when at certain rpms)

(Hot-Fullly Warm; Ticks pretty loud if I hold it at around 2k RPMs, and rear/driver v-cover stud is the loudest, rear/pass. stud is second loudest.... fronts seem really quiet.)

Guess I'll do a leak down just to be sure it's not a valve, then go from there. Granting it's not a piston slap, wrist pin or rod bearing making the noise, I'll probably just swap out the head if it get's any worse by 500 miles. We'll see... it's performing fine, but I do hear, still, a lil valve clatter when I let off quickly at any higher rpm. Like 3500 rpm/0rpm quick= erratic clickity clack, hahahahaha! I might just do the engnbldr or putneys head, anyway, or if I get a lil time to mess with it, just take it in and have it chickity checked out for any flaws, cam journal drama, rocker assembly drama, valve stickity-stuckedness, lol.... you know, the normal. Think this really good machinist I met is really interested as he's been seeing this and kinda would like the opportunity to guess, then see if he's right? lol. Hey, if it's on him, WHY NOT, EH?

I think I would be more concerned with a lower end issue, in all honesty. I mean, the head, it gets louder and louder, I swap it out, no drama/insult to the bottom end. If it keeps getting louder and IT IS the bottom end, ...well, I guess that's not good, eh? hahaha.

At this point, I'm just really curious, lol. I'll drive it around for a bit and see if I feel comfortable to do the 800 mile round trip to my Pop's Pad in AZ,.....ya know?

Have a good'n, guys, and thanks for all your input and help thus far. I guess I'm just a Gremlin Rancher at heart, ....gotta embrace whatcha is, eh? hahaha.

Night4Now!,

Mark
Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chef hope you get rid of that tick i can tell its driven you crazy lol. If i tried to find all my sounds id be looking for years. As for exhaust man i have a flowmaster 40 series single in dual out it has been on 4 of my previous trucks its 6 years old and its just now getn pin holes in the welds. IMO i won't buy anything else plus i don't think you can beat the flowmaster sound even if it is just on a four banger
Old 03-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Sweet, Baddest, thanks for the input on the Flowmaster Experience.

Far as the tick, etc., ....it's no longer driving me crazy, I WILL NOT HAVE THAT! lol. I think most of that was just hitting my final straw regarding my anger about this guys carelessness. Whatever it is, it's NOTHING I did, ya know? lol. Secondly, remember, this is "I hear MUCH MORE clackin going on through the rear stud, .... and had Tod or Ted told me, "OH YEAHHHHH, that's normal, it's the Cranial Transfunctioner!" ...I'd have dropped it, right there! LOL. However, they did NOT think it normal, and considering my miss,..... considering I've had said miss since before the build,....... considering the miss corresponds with my timing, jumping back and forth from 5-8*BTDC(somewhat of a different topic) .......and considering the ONLY thing back in this new Long Block is the Rocker Assembly...... it makes sense to me that the guy just didn't get something right, most likely, he re-installed questionable "allowable clearance" Rockers on the shafts. Especially since I have new adjusters, and I can hear a bit less noise, etc., now..... I think they're(Tod and Ted) right. Since the CAM is not wearing like the last one, I will probably just chill until/if it gets any(especially "MUCH") worse, hahaha. Seeing as it's probably "too much play between the rockers/shaft", ....I guess, well, it's pretty clear, it's "Not going to just fix itself", haha.

ALL THAT?^^^^ Just thinking out loud, thinking of what's the most logical time to address it, etc. I KNOW my mileage sucks, and it might be partially related.... but I'd like to rule out EVERYTHING in the EFI, STARTING with the 02 Location and signals/pattern, next up! SOMETHING is robbing my mileage, as I think it's safe to say, "15.6MPG PLAIN SUCKS!" lol. I'm going to do a test, tomorrow, on the freeway. I want to see what I'm getting HWY, and maybe that will tell me a bit more about where to look within my system, ya know? If I pull like 20MPG, ....I'm pretty sure 15.5 or so is NOT a reasonable ratio, being 25% less than HWY..... seems like a REALLY wide gap, am I wrong? lol.

SOOOOOOOO, FIRST OFF, does 'ANYONEEEEEEEEEE' have any clue on where I can find accurate info on how to KNOW if I need a Heated 02?

Thanks, take it easy, Baddest!

Mark
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well Ok I just read this and reread it...

Heated O2 did you need one before. No, I don't think you do now.

Still noisy, interesting. I like the rocker suggestion as well as a valve that isn't seating proper.

I don't think it's your EFI or a vac leak.

15.5 sucks, yes it does. I get 17 mixed driving with the hubs locked and in and out of 4wd. I average 20-22 in 2wd normal mixed driving. I use a GPS to gauge my mileage. I know I have a different head and larger exhaust but you should be right near where I'm at in mileage.

Muffler, I think I'm running a Thrush turbo. I snagged a cheapo from ebay with a 2.25 in and out with the out being offset. It's a bit loud but not unbearable.

Keep in mind I don't have a CAT right now, I will have to install one in 11 for my inspection.

Hope that helps out some...

Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mark, wish I had some good advise about the tick. I was hoping the the adjusters would have cured it. At least they helped some right? All I can do is guess that there is some play between the rocker and shaft like you already suggested. Could also be the actual rocker arm. Best of luck man.

Muffler - I have had several Flowmasters and they are ok, a little too noisey for my taste anymore. I like the Magnaflows, would recomend the largest one you can fit. The bigger they are the quieter they are.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Chef.. I went and looked through your thread and maybe I missed it, but what weight of oil are you using? You may already know but for others that are new to the mechanicing side of things. The reason for thicker weight in the summer is the oil thins when warms, thinner for winter so it isnt so thick when cold.

Might try on your next oil change and see if anything changes. Would be a fairly cheap test. If you dont like the results and didnt run the oil to long, you could get away not changing the filter. Any other time, I always change the filter when doing an oil change.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 AM

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the Muffler info.... I'm thinking Magnaflow, especially for price, as long as it's a LIL throaty, ...I like that, hahaha.

Lumpy, the 02 sensor not being heated before was not an issue, because I had a stock manifold before the rebuild. Now I have the LCE header, and the 02 is set back almost ...I don't know, 18" or so, maybe more, from the stock manifold location? The guys telling me this have been (A.) the guy who ran me on propane to find the CAM(a VERY respected gremlin hunter of Japanese Motors).... and (B.) Jim, at Putney's(22reperformance.com). They didn't say 'OH THAT'S PROBABLY your issue, right there!" ...but they DID think it POSSIBLE, and have seen it be an issue for many, as if it's misreading levels that far back, not hot enough, etc., ...it will tell the ECU, "MORE FUEL", ......thus, causing a pretty "RICH" condition.... Which it seems I might have a bit of, maybe? lol.

Far as the mileage, ..yeah, it's KILLIN ME! lol. Even 18-22 would be IMMENSE in helping me keep my cost down. I hear a lot of "Oh well, I need it, so I buy it"... yeah, I get that, ...but all the 'political angle' aside, ...... I KNOW we're being reamed right now, and since I can't do much about the 'reaming' angle, lolol.... I'd like to try to figure out why I'm not doing so well.

THE TICK;

It really seems to have quieted down, quite a bit. It only seems to do it, again, 'when fully warmed up for around 10 minutes'. What's similar is that it does it when I HOLD THE IDLE, but strangely, not so much at anywhere but around 2200 rpm. When I hit the pedal a bit to get it up and over that, ......seems to go away, and at idle, can't hear it much, cold/warm/or hot. When I feather the pedal from 750rpm to around 1500rpm or so.... can't really head ANYTHING like I was.

As usual, I did "some other check/repair/replace while doing the adjusters, in that I added the Remflex. Now, with that remflex, I would think it would quiet up pretty quickly, and wouldn't be really variable to the adjusters, couple days later, ya know? lol.

Far as "listening through the rocker assembly/v-cover stud, .... it's still quite a bit louder from the rear stud. Strange thing, the ONLY thing that makes me a lil curious/mildly concerned on that is; ..... When I was checking this months ago, when the motor was very newly rebuilt... they were all quiet. Then the CAM issue happened, so I swapped that out. Some time after that, the tick started and the noise in the rocker stud began.

At this point, I'm not going to tear off the rocker assembly, and speaking with Ted, etc., I've learned of other things like a "Header click", where in 4-1 headers, the gases can collide and cause a repetitive click at certain Rpms.

I, personally, think that if/when I finally have to get in there(sooner or later...PREFERABLY LATER! hahaha)....it will be the 'ROCKER ASSEMBLY', most likely a couple rockers that are just beyond specs in the bore, MAYYYYYYBE the tips.... although those LOOKED ok on the tips....Can't know for sure though, because I did NOT micrometer them out.

I am going to see my father on the 6th.... the same time I take my bosses to Laughlin for their HS Reunion for 5 days! WOOT! Only problem is, ...I wanted to show my dad all I've done on the truck....but I really doubt they'll be able to get in the back, then out for pit-stops, etc.,...... So we'll most likely take the CRV, haha. They both said, "NO, WE CAN do it! We'll try tomorrow or something, ok?" cuz they really understand me wanting to show my dad the truck I've been building, SLAVING Over for months, hahaha. I think it would make him happy..... So, since I'm taking them in the same trip, dropping them off for 5 days, .....my gas will be paid for, SO THAT'S GOOD! Don't get me wrong on that one! hahahaa. Far as taking my truck? Yeah, I doubt it, ...but we'll see, they insisted on 'test mounting' the back seat. He even said, "we could go with the top off?" hahahahahaha! I told him, OH HECK NO, ...you'd have 2nd degree burns by the 40frwy!!!! Plus, her hair would blow all over, ...trust me, it's not a good idea!" hahaha. That really cracked me up, lol.

As far as the AC? My neighbor JUST MIGHT be able to do this, today. He's off, but pretty busy playing "catch up", which we all can understand. I'ma go hit him up now, see if we can't just test to see if it holds vacuum! GRR, lol.

Thanks, guys, VERY MUCH, and I PROMISE, .....the AC will be updated, the Oil Leaks will be updated(they're not bad enough to mess with for now, lol), ....the Mileage/maybe 02 thing will be updated, and the tick, IF IT DARE GET LOUDER AND CAUSE ME BLEEDING ON THE BRAIN DUE TO FURIOUS VENGEANCE AND WRATH........SORRY, had a flashback to my machinist that got combined with a scene from pulp fiction....anyway, ..... I WILL UPDATE, promise, and thanks for stopping in,...VERY GRATEFUL, AS ALWAYS!

Mark(aka the Gremlin HUNTER/SLAYER....... sometimes victim still' hahhaaha.)

PS> Hey Terry! .....sorry, missed that post for a second. Yeah, I use Valvoline 10-40. Was told by a couple builders that's probably best for me until I can wrap up any lil pesky leaks and maybe get to 5K before thinking of syn, ya know?

For now, it seems to be doing ok. I'll get pics and video of the oil when I change it... I think that's VERY TELLING! For now, it's pretty much honey on the dipstick, after 2500 miles, ya know? But I do understand your point on viscosity and moving parts noise making. I think I'm just dealing with something that's worn out in there....not really dangerous, but certainly could just keep wearing into a rocker or eventually the CAM.....In which case...I'd have to pull the rocker assembly anyway, so that Cam could be swapped at that point, easy! 108$???? WELL WORTH IT in my mind for one of engnbldrs 261's! LOVE this CAM, DEFINITELY feel the difference. But if it gets screwed up by other parts....well, it's gotta be replaced by another, ya know? lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 AM

AC UPDATE:

My neighbor has the vacuum hooked up, testing for ability to hold pressure. It's been on for an hour, still at 30" Vacuum..... GOD WILLING AND THE CREEK DON'T RISE, BABY! lol. Trust me..... I know better than to 'count my chickens before they hatch', ....haha.

Thanks in advance for the well wishin, fingers crossededed, ...etc.! hahaha.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Geat news about the tick Mark, very glad to hear that it is mostly gone. Good luck with the AC also, I bet it holds the pressure just fine.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 PM

WOOT! So far so good, Rob! hahaha.

* He put 30" on it 3hrs ago........ And, ......... as of right now........., it's at, ....... HAHAHHA.... 30"! Dang, I really hope my compressor still works... hahaha. All this work and then that thing didn't work? OMGOSH, I'd FREEEEEEEAK! lol.

* Also, stopped at CHARLIE COOLS, ..(sorry Charlie, didn't mean to call you "Joey Cools", a few pages back! ) lol.... He read up in here but just didn't wanna join, ya know? lol. Anyway, he gave me some good info, and actually handed me a Jar of Professional R-12 from the back of his AC shop. DUST ALL OVER IT! hahaha. "This isn't even opened, use whatcha need and bring it back, k?"... DANG, WHAT A COOL GUY, EH? "KUDOS, CHARLIE! YOU ROCK! " lol.

* He also told me, "Yeah, that tech at Toyota doesn't know what he's talking about. The Brown/orange o-rings you got, they're actually for 134A, ......BUT THEY'RE FINE for R12!" FHEWWWWW, lol. He went on to say, "It's the oil that's the problem... And the problem with the 'BLACK o-rings' is that the 134A tends to eat them, causing them to get brittle, etc... You're fine using the Orange ones for this, in fact it's better, because if the compressor blows up, you'll need a new one and you'll be all set up for 134A with those Brown/Orange OEM AC O-rings!" He then said, "You can pull the valve off the low side that you just put on, ....then fill it slowly with oil while you crank the compressor. Just turn the disc by hand, and if it comes pumpin back out atcha.... turn it the other way! HAHAHAHA! When you turn the right way, it will keep pulling in the oil till all the oil is in there." Then, he said, "Put around 6oz. of the R12 Ester Oil, to be safe. These compressors are set up to take only so much oil, along with a charge of R12.... and if you over fill the oil, the excess will just come out the front, right though a special portion of the front seal. Doesn't damage anything, that way. HOWEVER, if you don't use ENOUGH oil, or barely any at all, especially with R12....that thing is done, QUICK!"

So there ya go, guys, ...that's it for now. I'll get the before and after pics of my buddy's Vacuum pump valves all hooked up, the gauge at 30" both times, etc. Or maybe just a pic of how it's set up, eh? hahaha.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 PM

6 Hours and counting.... Still holding 30"! WOOT! lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 PM

hey chef! I searched through here... and cant come up on your intake details... i wanna let my truck breaaath! ive got a header... so i figured i was allowed to open up the intake side too :p
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
6 Hours and counting.... Still holding 30"! WOOT! lol.
Sounds like you have it Mark!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by blakefogt
hey chef! I searched through here... and cant come up on your intake details... i wanna let my truck breaaath! ive got a header... so i figured i was allowed to open up the intake side too :p
Hey Blake... I'm not sure what you're asking... Where did I get my Cold Air Intake set up? If so, LCE... but LCE also sells something that many go with, "Big Bore Throttle body"... and they even have 'bored out' intakes. For me, and my application? yeah, just wanted a LIL more 'push', so I was good with the cold air kit from them. Think it was 199$ with the stainless tube and filter and a really nice mounting plate and all the hardware... That what you meant?? lol.

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Sounds like you have it Mark!
Well, it seems to be air tight for sure. (at least while not running, lol)...BUT, ...yes, you know me, did you think there wouldn't be a BUT IN HERE? C'mon, it's me now, .......SOMETHING has to happen! hahha.

Nah, all that's happened is that the R12 that I was gonna get was stolen.... SO NOW I'M ON THE HUNT, DANGIT! Grrr! I wanna get this done before Havasu, AZ...it's already 90-100* there!!! lol. But, I might be taking the Honda, which blows ice cold and so, ....might not be a rush.

I found a guy on ebay, called him, and he was a WW2 Vet, .....GREAT STORIES FOR ALMOST AN HOUR, MAN! He has a 15# can with maybe 5-6# left in it... But he's pretty old and can't remember how old the can is. It's Dupont 12... he said, "It would be empty if it was leaking at all...but it's stayed sealed, that's why I can feel all the freon on there."... But I'm not sure that it can't expire, etc., ya know? Feel bad, wanted to go out and meet the old codger! (he's not far from me, 40 Min?) 45$ for what's left, ....but my neighbor who's helping me told me, ".....ahhhhh, i'd hold off for a bit for something better, mark.. YOu want something in the small Can's, preferably, because they're hard sealed."

Anyway, I was hoping to NOT HAVE TO STILL BE HUNTING FOR THINGS, MAN! LOL....

He's telling me the Long Beach Swap Meet is probably my best bet, unless I wanna go with any of these on ebay...Whatcha think, guys????>>>>

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...p_id=521577291
Old 03-31-2011, 04:33 PM

yea thats what i meant lol. the only one i could find was with a kit but ill keep searching, thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:57 PM

You mean to tell me that somebody stole the freon that your friend at the AC shop gave you? What the hell! Did it get stolen out of your truck? Sorry to hear that it is gone bud.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 PM

Oh, no, Rob, ...what happened was that his GF had it all ready to go in on hers, ...the shop SHE TOOK hers to in an emergency used their own, .......then apparently STOLE the 3- 1# cans out of the back of her Sequoia! I was gonna get it for 15$ a POUND! She went to go get it and bring it to my buddy, ......"HMM, IT'S GONE?" SUX! So; Now I'm on the hunt again, dangit! lol. IT'S REALLY getting hot here, ...I'd love to get some tips if anyone has any on where I can get it? Just have a hard time trusting Ebay, and I did find a guy like I said, but he's VERY old and is not sure how old it is. He said it definitely has some in it because if it was leaking it would just be like an empty can... But no one can tell me if at 10 years or so it's most likely expired, etc.????

Thanks, in advance, guys!

As usual, VERY GRATEFUL Chef, here!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 AM

it is still good if it is r12
Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 AM

gees your thread is like a freaking story. it had me standing on my toes when you had it all put back together and that dam injector had to clog up. i know that post was old but i was flipping out for you hahah. niceeee thread though man, plan on reading the rest of it. im jealousss right now

brandon

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread