86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Just a lil AC update(Yeah FEDEX, lol) and a lil more that I heard from Jim at Putney's today....

Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM

C'MONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN POST LADY! lol.......
Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 AM

HEY, she musta heard me! lol....

Adjusters and nuts are here. BBL8r! lol
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So why a new dryer?

Has your old one been exposed to air? see liquid in the sight glass?

I was hoping to redo my AC, and reuse the dryer I bought last time I filled my system about 2.5 years ago..
Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 AM

Hey Outsane!

Well, 2.5 years? You should be fine, ...maybe ask an AC guy you trust. Mine? 24 YEARS OLD! lol. Never been even OPENED, until I got there. I think it can't filter/accumulate or dry as well after 2.5DECADES, as compared to 2.5 years, lol.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Hey Outsane!

Well, 2.5 years? You should be fine, ...maybe ask an AC guy you trust. Mine? 24 YEARS OLD! lol. Never been even OPENED, until I got there. I think it can't filter/accumulate or dry as well after 2.5DECADES, as compared to 2.5 years, lol.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
good deal, thanks

Can you give me a list of all the sizes of O-rings you need? feeling lazy over here
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chef, got ur new adj. and nuts?i still haven't got my stuff from lce .i was hoping it would come 2day so i could start this weekend . i have got so much information from this thread . but it suks that it has 2 come at your expense ! i was gona order a lce header but probably not now after reading tinmans post , il just get a new high flow cat and turbo muffler .good luck
Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM

for what its worth on the 2 vehicles I had with piston slap it was only noticable when the engine was cold, once warm it went away. Did ya get that a/c working yet??
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Outsane
good deal, thanks

Can you give me a list of all the sizes of O-rings you need? feeling lazy over here
Hey Outster, ....no problemo....IF I HAD EM? lol. They're installed, and what I CAN do is try to find my receipt and give you the part numbers. there are 4 sizes. 4 Largest ones under the Compressor High and Low Valves. Second to largest which are for the larger hose connections, like the large hose going to the low pressure side on the compressor and the large hose going into the firewall? 3rd largest ones like the low pressure side and many others, and smallest, which go to the Drier, etc. Those last ones are TINY, maybe the size of a pencil eraser.

I'll look for ya and post it up. I hope you're using OEM O-rings, or at least ones recommended by an AC Shop? The AC shop I went to went in the back and came out with "Denso" o-rings, hahaha... so that gives you an idea of what one 35 year pro thinks of 'aftermarket', eh? lol

OHHHHHH, one problem. As I said, got the high and low valve o-rings from an AC shop. Can't see how you might get em, otherwise, as TOYOTA,.....are you sitting down? lol... Toyota told me, "Sorry Mark, ...really sucks, but you'd have to order THE ENTIRE VALVES, .....BOTH OF THEM, ...just to get those O-rings!!!!!!!" WTH? lol. So, try an AC shop, and I'll send you the old ones if you want, in the mail? Maybe you could match em up that way? Only thing is, ...I think they're softer on the outside and have a firmer inner 'core'? Might wanna check into that, ya know? Especially since the High pressure side, ...well, ....IS UNDER VERY high pressure! lol.

Originally Posted by waynesworld
chef, got ur new adj. and nuts?i still haven't got my stuff from lce .i was hoping it would come 2day so i could start this weekend . i have got so much information from this thread . but it suks that it has 2 come at your expense ! i was gona order a lce header but probably not now after reading tinmans post , il just get a new high flow cat and turbo muffler .good luck
Tinmans post, eh? lol.... I'll have to read back(INFO OVERLOAD LATELY, ya know? lol) I REALLY like my header, to be honest. I DEFINITELY feel more power, and it's not just cuz it's a lil louder. lol. Lil better on the freeway, too, as I CAN get this 22re, as is, up to 90mph. NOT BAD for a lil sewing machine, lol. Thanks for the input and sharing your experience and learning curve, etc., Brudda....don't worry if it's at my expense, or whoever.... ALMOST ALL of our 'learning' and 'info' comes at SOMEONES expense, eh? lol. Actually makes it more worth while than not for me, to be honest, buddy! C'MON LCE, MY BUDDY WAYNE NEEDS THEM PARTS!

PS> They took only 2 days, once again, for me. However, you're making a MUCH bigger order, right? Might be the issue.

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
for what its worth on the 2 vehicles I had with piston slap it was only noticable when the engine was cold, once warm it went away. Did ya get that a/c working yet??
Hmmm, that's what I have heard, Cougar, on the piston slap. BUT, also heard it's not "EXCLUSIVE TO COLD MOTORS", ...just "more likely", cuz oil hasn't coated all the goodies up yet, lol. Plus, nothing has expanded yet, right?

Far as the AC? Not going yet. I'm oncea gain at the mercy of someone else as he has around a million in equipment that I'd MUCH rather be using than some made up apparatus that I might come up with, eh? hahaha. Plus, he's VERY experienced with this stuff. ONLY worry I have, is, ....when testing out holding air, etc., it really needs to be running, which would mean "jumping the wires to kick in the compressor", RIGHT? Well..... this system is EMPTY! Lil concerned about kicking on the system that has VERY lil oil in it, eh?

Anyone that might have info on that, I'd be VERY grateful. I have a couple days, as he probably can't do it till 2mrw or Sunday. THANKS, !

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-25-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 PM

OK, UPDATE!;

The update is, ....I'm not sure just yet! lol. I installed the new Adjuster Screws(came today, if you missed that post).... and YES, it is MUCH quieter, over all. However, ....I can still hear that 'tick' lurking around. Now it's even more spontaneous...which, well, WHATEVER, lol. If it gets really loud again, I'll deal with it. hearing that "Your cam is wearing nice!" from Ted, that comforted me a lot! lol.

WHAT I DID notice, FOR CERTAIN! ;

The truck was COMPLETELY COLD, ...like 4 days cold. When I started it with the new adjusters, ....it was quiet in all 4 v-cover studs, ...... WHILE COLD! Within 3 minutes, the rear one, like before, was MUCH louder than there rest. HOWEVER, ...not QUITE as loud. So, I guess I can conclude, whatever is going back there, ...it's not the adjusters, but might be the valve tips. I REALLY TRIED to get pics of the tops of them, see them clearly...but NONE seemed to have any big concave crowning, etc. The APPEARED to be PRETTY smooth on top.... just a lil bit of a 'brushed' look on most, and that's fine, I know.

I think Tod is probably right, which I am proud to say I had a part in coming to the conclusion therein, hahaha... in saying, "I think something is wrong with either one of your rear rockers, or the CAM journals.... IN THE HEAD are a bit LUNCHMEAT from that "WONDER CAM" that my machinist put back in here...." Could very well be a rocker is just having too much play on the shaft.... maybe the pads are just beyond specs, but he hand lapped them down, anyhow? Lots of variables. So, I'll just keep a close ear, and NOT cross my fingers, ......(not being negative, just realistic, and besides.... if you learn to "be PREPARED for the worst, ....you wont be surprised NOR too disappointed!" lol.)

Seems like I hear a lil backpressure in my exhaust(Almost sounds like something is resisting in there, when I lightly press on the pedal. NEVER heard that before the last few weeks, ....that's the only reason I mention it, promise, lol... Was thinking of replacing my Muffler, just for maintenance, and wondered what would give me a nice THROATY sound, without RAPING me of every dime I have? lol(MUCH more concerned with "practical application and performance"... but it is a 22re, so just throaty would be fine, Maybe? hahahahaha)

Flowmaster? (worth it? Or is magnaflow just fine?)
Magnaflow?
Borla again? (you've heard mine...sounds PRETTY DANG SICK! LOL)
ANY OTHERS?

It's rotting on the front flange... I might just have them drill a hole and test flow, etc. Then they can weld the flange-inlet, if it's fine with flow, and I'd be done with it. We'll see. it's around 80K old.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 PM

OH, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TED OF ENGNBLDR MEANT BY;

"One trick, usually with a header you need a bit more spark lead which will act slightly as leaning out.
Ted"

I'm sorry, I'll google it, but "spark lead"? I feel silly asking, but want to be honest... not sure what that is, lol. I looked a lil... but getting 10 different variables on that. Don't wanna bother him with emails too much. I might shoot him one later though,..just that one question. lol.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 PM

As a recommendation on testing the AC, just have a vacuum placed on it. I think I was told that you need to pull a 28 for at least 30 minutes to an hour and if it holds, you should be good to go with no leaks. IF, you have a BIG air compressor, Harbor Freight has a cheap vacuum setup for about $15 here. Again, to pull the 28 on the vacuum with the HF vac unit, you MUST have a really big air compressor to pull this vacuum consistently. Sounds like you are almost there on the AC!! Mine is going good now. Nice and cold for a R12 to R134A converted (Frankenstein) system from two different vehicles.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM

HAHAHA, yeah, but that's cooll, ACI! I love your ingenuity, man! "THINK IT OUT, SIR, THINK IT OUT", ...that's what my Drill Sgt. in Marine Academy always told me! Oh yeah, and "SHUT UP, BOY, NO ONE TALKIN TA YOUUUUUUUUUU!" LOL. hahahaha,.

Anyway, yeah, I'll wait for my neighbor, as he has EVERYTHING i'd need. Not in a hurry. Just want it before the HOT MONTHS, and 'HOTTER TRIPS', ya know? I know it's humid down there.... but trust me, 124*F in the shade, dry or not, is HOT! lol. Heard about your overheatin.... hope that's figured out, QUICK, sir! Best to ya on that!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 PM

You wont need to jump the a/c, once he starts to put the r12 in which is under pressure it will start on its own. I converted mine to 134a and it cools very well, just have that darn leak at the compressor seal. I picked up a gauge set from HF as well as the vacum tool and i just refill it when it starts to get low. One day I will get a new Compressor. I replaced one on the wifes hybrid, talk about exspencive 500 bills for that one but it fixed the problem.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM

yeah, I hear ya, Cougar....

Only thing is, I think he has to jump it to get the compressor to run before putting in the oil or R12...or at least the R12, because he has to make sure there aren't any major leaks(you know, if I torqued down a flange nut too tight and stripped it, cracked something, etc., ya know? EEEK! hahahaha)

I was just worried about jumping it without it having a full cycle of oil in it, ya know? I'm getting the R12 for 15$ a pound.... pretty good I hear. But, ...still don't want to fill it just to test for leaks, ya know?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM

he should be testing for leaks with the vacum down, then with the vacumm the oil will get sucked in then the r-12 on top. they had a machine where my dad worked that did that. oil went in with charge. I am sure you bud knows what hes doin so just let him do what he does...!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 PM

Hahha... Yeah, I'm sure he does, but it's been a while since he did his truck. I'll just double check with him to be sure he's comfy that we're not gonna be mean to the compressor, hahaha.

thanks for the input, Cougar, as usual!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:55 AM

chef get that thing sucked down and charged ASAP you are contaminating new filter as we speak.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Really Mike? Even with it all sealed up with new O-rings, etc.? EEEEK! .... DANGIT, did I mess this thing up already? .......sighhhhhh

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread