86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can here it on the videos chef,(the tick) but probably not as lowd as u can . just sounds like a valve out of adjustment .hey u no i finally ordered my rocker arm assembly from lce 2 and it does include the adjusters and nuts , new springs and shafts all toyota ,thats what the salesperson told me anyway.

Last edited by waynesworld; 03-21-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds kinda like a valve...hard to tell though. The exhaust looks to be a bit carbony.

I donno man...
Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
haven't viewed the videos but it looks like #3 possibly #2 exhaust was leaking.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks guys...

I know, it's hard over the net! lol. I'm pretty tired of this. No, I'M VERY tired of this. I should be just driving, ya know? I will get pics up asap of the adjusters. The bosses are gonna let me take a few days to just start over if I need it. I might just do that. I mean, I've learned a lot, and I'm stoked about that... but i'm REALLY PISSED OFF, and I think I have good reason.... And I'm done being ticked off, .....just want to be done with this ASAP!

PS> Yeah, B, I'm pretty sure they were... Not sure if they are still. The remflex might have got that sussed. Pretty sure what I hear isn't an exhaust leak. Plus, it's almost as if I'm listening to music with the MUTE on, for the front valve cover studs. ....then, when I put it on the rear... it's like SOMEONE TOOK IT OFF MUTE, ...know what I mean? It's MUCH louder. Could that be a leak in the back/exhaust? I just don't know anymore. Don't really think so, however.

Let me know, if you get a chance to listen, if you can hear it, B. Maybe listen with headphones? I tried that and it was much more clear. Something about these tiny things, lol.

L8r guys, .... I'm heading out there now.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 PM

UPDATE WITH PICS;

Ok, first, i will have some better than usual for me videos of the adjuster screws, some of the cam and some of the valve tops(not too great though, just too hard). But, here are some pics, first....... And BRANDON, I think I see what you mean by an "HOURGLASS SHAPE"..... any of these mean the head HAS to come off?????? ............

Cam Lobes(just a couple... more in videos to come)

SOME OF THE VALVE TOPS, ...(one of them has a piece of rag on it, like a hair....very hard to get pics of these, lol.....

Please, CHIME IN! LOL. Videos will be next post.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
hey mark, i've been lurking on this issue for a bit. couldn't hear the video too well, i got a few questions...

-does it sound like a rapid tapping on a tin can?
-does it happen more often when you rev down?
-does it happen all the time, or only sometimes?

i have a "tick" that might be similar to yours.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know either Mark. Honestly I never even looked at my adjuster screws when I had mine apart. Mine make a little noise but nothing too bad. Wish I could be more help, I know it would suck to have to pull the head off, I would try to avoid it if at all possible, but if you did it would give you the chance to go through it all yourself and have piece of mind that it was done correctly.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 AM

I just have the OEM head on my rig, cant afford those high tech parts that spc is getting I can hear the clatter slightly, maybe a video with the hood open will let everyone hear it better. some of those adjusters look pretty worn. hope you get it figured out. the valve stems should be mostly flat.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chef, as per my other thread, I jumped over to see what was going on.

I watched the vid and it sounds like its in the valve train. What sets me off is that its quite cold.

IMO, id check play of the rockers on the shaft (cold and hot) Especially if you have the aluminum rockers.

Id also consider pulling the rocker assembly and measuring the total height of the valves.

Im sure you checked your valve lash several times, you can rule that out. There is something deeper causing that noise. Could have a dropped valve seat, bad valve spring (weak or broke) loose rocker (loose on the rocker shaft)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
hey mark, i've been lurking on this issue for a bit. couldn't hear the video too well, i got a few questions...

-does it sound like a rapid tapping on a tin can?
-does it happen more often when you rev down?
-does it happen all the time, or only sometimes?

i have a "tick" that might be similar to yours.
Hey Ian, ..... Yeah, THIS STUPID CAMERA! Did you go to 3:30 like I'd mentioned? That is where I could clearly hear it. Anywhooooo;

-Hmmm, tin can? I don't feel it does. Sounds more like I showed in the video, ....a tapping of a pencil tip on something solid, like the top of a hard tile counter. In the video I demonstrated it on top of the shifter

-No, not only when revving down, nor more often.

-It only happens SOME times. Not sure if you mean by relation to temp, etc. I touched on that stuff, in that it's (A.) Pretty quiet when it's cold (B.) When JUST barely warmed up, it starts up-1min?- (C.) It is usually only audible from 1000rpm to 2200rpm or so. Although, as I got on it, yesterday, then let it warm up over 20 minutes or so driving around.... it REALLY was louder and you could even tell it was there at idle.

Also, when really warmed up, I started to hear other things, like what sounded to me like a valve rattling on upon deceleration(as you let it rev down from 3000 or so, it would rattle with an off beat, somewhat of a drumroll... such as, " tick-tick-tick- more rapid as I accelerate, obviously, then, right as I let off the gas, - ticktickticktick-tick-tick-tick".... like a gargling effect, or rolling of the TONGUE, ..that's it! haha. So hard to type out explanations, but, I did explain that in the videos as well, the rolling intermediate tick-tap. Yeah, Ian,...the reason I say tick is, a Tick, if you sound it out, is more high pitch, ending on a high. Unlike a Tap or a Thud, which ends on a low, and which also has a more pronounced "hollow" sound, ....like I've heard with some Rod Knocks. To be honest, it still sounds like an exhaust leak to me in some ways, ....but I'm fairly certain it's not, hahaha. And, as I have mentioned many times, and I recommend, ......get your stethoscope and listen in on the rocker studs. Just put the scope tip on the nut on top of the stud, around it's base. Listen to all of them, and I think you'll hear pretty clearly if one is louder than the rest. The stud is locked into the Rocker Assembly, right next to 2 valves, each one of them. Listening to the top of the cover, itself? NOTHING, I can barely hear the racket toward the back driver side when listening there. Why? .....Because the entire thing is cushioned by RUBBER! Whereas, the studs are not, whatsoever. If you do hear something on the cover, IT'S DEFINITELY something hitting it, period.

Hope that helps.

Brandon???? lol.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Hey Rob, ...... I'm considering just that, .... but if it came off, it would not be going back on. I WOULD rebuild it, myself, as a learning tool. I mean, I MIGHT AS WELL GET SOMETHING out of this besides hundreds hours labor, loss of vacations and MUCH money, etc., etc., hahaha. Gonna get Ted over here if I can, ...then go from there. I'm also getting better pics of everything in the daylight, today. Just seems to work better in some cases, ya know?

Cougar, sup? ......... Yeah, I know what you mean on that one, too. Although... I really wanna be done with this, once and for all. I do think Putney's goes a couple extra steps with his head and only uses OEM parts or better,.....but 850$ for the head alone! I KNOW, that's a hell shy from LCE's comparable head, ....and DOA? Yeah, .... and those are GREAT and FINE, ..I'm not disparaging them...and I KNOW, I've spend 3 times that, already, chasing my tail and SURELY 5 TIMES THAT IN LABOR and time~! hahaha. But that's just it.. with all the suspension parts, etc., ...I thought I was done with the motor, and I'd moved on... now, ....YIKES! lol. S'all good....it'll get right, one way or the other. I just don't have 3 grand(just an example, lol) to spend because I feel like it. I REALLY have to weigh this ALL out. LONGEVITY, Baby, ...that's the HEAVIEST weight I feel pressing on me. Trust me, ...I want a LIL more out of it...but honestly, if I wanted a DOA-340HP Racing Motor.... well yeah, I'd spend 6G's and be done with it, ya know? But I doubt that motor will last ANYWHERE near what a stock or slightly modified motor would. I want to drive this thing another 140K until I HAVE TO change my timing chain... ya know? As much as I enjoy this.... I'm not really happy that I've HAD TO do all this work and research, just because I got screwed, ya know? hahaha. But, I AM happy to have learned some things... I really am.

PHIL, THANKS MAN, I appreciate you stopping by............ Well, in the videos, it's not exactly COLD-cold.... as I said in the one, ..I had to stop because my boss came out RIGHT THEN, as I was just warming it up, and started talking to me, wanting an answer on something, etc.! GRRR! lol. Not her fault. In fact, I'M GRATEFUL to them for their patience! lol. Far as the checking the play on the rockers..... I'll look into that, and might just end up doing a full rocker assembly from Putneys.(229$ is a REALLY good price, man! Ready to install? Yeah...)... And, I'd be doing that, anyway, if I started with a new head. Anddddd, ...if this head comes off, it's not going back on. I'm starting over. Then, I'll just rebuild this head to go in something else, maybe a "PROJECT" with a blown HG or bent valve or something? I'd have to take it apart, anyway, Phil, just to put in THE BEST guides, etc., for my piece of mind.... so why not have it milled on the exhaust and intake as well, as I KNOW he DID NOT do that,.... ya know? Really appreciate your input, Phil... Thanks man!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-22-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 AM

thanks mark! i know how frustrating it can be to try and describe a noise by typing. hard to hear the letters. and i guess it was my tiny headphones that didn't allow me to hear the video too well. anyway, i'll listen again tomorrow (the next time i can view you-tube)

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Also, when really warmed up, I started to hear other things, like what sounded to me like a valve rattling on upon deceleration(as you let it rev down from 3000 or so, it would rattle with an off beat, somewhat of a drumroll... such as, " tick-tick-tick- more rapid as I accelerate, obviously, then, right as I let off the gas, - ticktickticktick-tick-tick-tick"...
that's more like what i have. it happens so intermittently that it's hard to get video of it. and when it does happen, it'll go away before i can get my camera out. hmm. i'll stethoscope it this weekend
Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 AM

My pleasure, Ian....

And COUGAR, ..far as the "open the hood" thing... yeah, I know, but the problem is that K&N is SO LOUD, I can't seem to hear anything else when I have the hood open, ya know? I've tried it both ways, and with the hood down, I could finally hear it on the video. You can't hear it at 3:30seconds as i mentioned? GRRR! Well, ..... not sure what else I can do, especially now that it's apart, lol.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM

i'll upload some video of my "tick" later tonight (over on my build thread). i finally got some good video of it
Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Right on, Ian...

I ordered my OEM adjuster screws and nuts from LCE,...they're in the mail, and as soon as I've got them in for a lil bit, I'll post up my results. I was just hoping for someone to look at them and say, "Yeah,....that means the valves are BAD/OK/WHATEVER", lol. I know, it's hard to tell anything conclusively on here. But, I've figured out quite a few things by just getting good help on here/researching just in general. "A tick is not just a tick is a tick", I suppose... could be many things, but most likely valve train related, as Phil mentioned. I still have to try, since I'm only out 47$ with shipping,...ya know? lol
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM

did you do the leak down test? cant remember. I would hear it in the video it sounds like valve clatter, let us know the results..... time to post some more on my build.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Sweet, Cougar... can't wait to see whatcha do next!

No, haven't done a leak down. I will, either way, even though I'm replacing the Adjuster Screws for now just to try to salvage this for a while. I got all 8, OEM Adjuster Screws and Nuts from LCE, Shipped, for 47$. How much at Toyota with 20% off? 8.58 w/tax each screw, ....2.58 each nut w/tax, ....x8? >>> $88.00 ...Yeah, I'll wait 2-3 days! lol.

I spoke to Putney today, and he said, "Yeah, those should be replaced for sure", amongst much more that I'll include as I go, later.

I will get a leak down after I wear in the new adjusters a bit. I mean, at this point, if it's a screwed up valve setting, tip, guide, length issue, ...... I can wait a few days with the new adjusters in before doing the leak down.(besides, I'll have to use my truck for work this weekend, no choice....so I had to wait, even if I decided to do the Head or Whole motor...it would have to be later, a few days, maybe a couple weeks from now.)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm wondering if you have some piston slap going on. do you have the machining sheet from when it was done?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:18 AM

No Sir, ....Unfortunately, I do not, Truckman.

Regarding the "Schematics" of ANYTHING?>>> Nada. So, I have NO CLUE what he did.

Far as PISTON SLAP? NO idea. I'm not sure it's loud enough or constant enough to be that? It's not a thud, and it seems to be louder in the top end area when I listen through the Valve Cover studs. Also; When it's cold, I don't hear it, but when warming up, it seems to slide up and down between 1000 and 1800, equally as loud on deceleration as acceleration, but not if I go above that, or hold it at 2200-2400 or so. Then, when fully warm, it ticks a lil louder and seems to keep ticking when I hold the RPm's anywhere.

I got out of the gig this weekend, so I COULD just start over, today, if I wanted to. We'll see what the adjusters do, but like Sportsman Phil was saying, "Im sure you checked your valve lash several times, you can rule that out. There is something deeper causing that noise. Could have a dropped valve seat, bad valve spring (weak or broke) loose rocker (loose on the rocker shaft)"... I want piece of mind, like everyone. Either way, I can't KNOW what 'MIGHT' go wrong with this one, other than the head, IF ANYTHING! So, ...yeah, ...needless to say, I HATE THIS! lol.

Not sure if that helps.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM

MORE PICS.... I'm hoping for a visiting Machinist to stop by, so I got what are hopefully better shots.......What the heck, I'm waiting anyway, .........

Next question; "Is my chain riding on my driver side steel rail too hard? And not enough on the passenger side? Or is that normal?">>>>

Next are pics of the 261 CAM from engnbldr, installed just 2000 Miles ago, Max......

Next, just reposting the pics of the exhaust ports, AT 3500 MILES ON NEW REBUILD, >

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread