86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
NOW............how long do I wait for that RTV to dry, 24hours? That's fine WITH ME! As long as it works!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:17 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
what does the tube say?

so you got it buttoned up w/ RTV...good deal.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Yeah, mine came right out'n'right back in, within 5 minutes like the tube recommends! lol. Sorry you had such a time with that, and WHO KNOWS, God willing I wont have to tear it down, but you never can tell until ya turn it over, right? lol. I think that's the only one that was leaking, cuz TRIPLE checked every nut and bolt and TUBE AND HOSE AND ....you get the point, lol....until I was calling out torque levels in my sleep! I guess that lil gasket isn't good enough alone! That reminds me, I have to order the Distributor Large O-ring dust/water boot for the cap....like you do, lol.

Did you watch the video? Sound seems ok.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:33 PM

i will....i'm partially in the middle of things here.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:41 PM

OH TRUST ME, man.....I'm not trying to push it, and I understand you're busy! lol. No, I just mean that I didn't want to blow anyone's speakers or make them dizzy! lol. I have a tripod and so on for the REAL video, and I'll 'set it and forget it', hahaha, when it's time to TURN IT OVER! GOSH I'm praying that that is the only leak,....and of course, that IT'S NO LONGER A LEAK, lol....and, that NOTHING else goes wrong! Oh well, crap happens, no matter how careful you are, eh? ahahhaha.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:45 PM

actually this computer has no volume...

i won't be around the next 3 days....working and wont be home until probably 8pm my time all those days if i'm lucky.......so i'm hoping to see a start-up video....good luck man.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 PM

HERE'S THE BASTAGE!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 PM

Just curious, if anyone could tell me, from that pic above,....if the RTV doesn't seal it up, what could possibly be wrong? I'll be filling it up again, tomorrow, and I'll see if it held, but if not, I guess I'll have to figure something out. Really depressing for something this STUPID to be holding me back. Oh well, like I said before, ....I know it could be worse, so onward I go.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It almost looks like the pipe is separating from the flange, like its not so much not-sealing right, it looks more like you need a whole new pipe thingy. Also one of the bolts looks moist as well, the RTV, I would think, should be enough. Or maybe find a flat piece of rubber and custom make your own gasket.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Right on Chef, the exhaust work looks great! That RTV should be fine to cure over night. I wouldn't worry too much about that water pipe, if it leaks a little, it leaks a little, the 20 minute run should be fine, just leave the radiator cap off & keep an eye on it. You are going to need to "burp" the coolant system to get the air out anyways. Worst case senario you can buy a sheet of gasket paper & cut out your own gasket, I'm pretty sure that I put a home made gasket on that pipe. I will be staying tuned this morning & pulling for you man. Already said a prayer & have my fingers crossed.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 05-22-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
^^10X Yep they all have it about right...You should be alright with the RTV
Old 05-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Moze, Rob, Lumpy(and previously 92), THANKS, so much for your encouragement. I know you can understand, working on this with every minute of my spare time for over a month, sometimes till 2-3am, then up at 7am to cook for them, then back at it till lunch prep, then back out, ....you get the picture, well, IT'S DISHEARTENING! Especially when I planned to fire it up yesterday! Grrrr, lol. BUT I MEAN IT when I say that, simply, I'm just grateful that I've been given the patience, perseverance and GOOD PEOPLE on this site to give advice-encouragement-A PUSH-and even prop's! Not to be mushy, but like 92 said, "IT'S BEEN VERY IMPORTANT, THIS SITE"....in other words of course! lol.

Anyhow, I think Moze is right. It was a lil rusted, and I cleaned it up with some brushes and mild sanding, and I might have just worn through a glob of rust that was keeping it all together! lol. I'm going to top it off, so that the water runs into the thermostat end, and see if it holds, .....probably around 2pm, just to be SURE I've given it 24 hours to set. Last night, when reaching in there, I felt some water still on the fingers......BUT, I'm assuming that's water that got pushed out or that was clinging to the rear. All in all, even if it's set and blocks it off, I can't be sure it wont just piss out that flange. TOO BAD it's in such a PITA location, or I'd just have the lower portion of the pipe-to-surface welded up, because it would probably seal just fine with the o-ring like that. BUT ALAS.....it's NOT in an easily accessible location!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to seem like a biotch, lol.....I just HATE being one-upped by inanimate objects! lolol. Do you think JB-weld, around the bottom portion of the pipe-to-bolt mount surface might seal it up, if in fact it's leaking right through the weld????????????????
Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Hey M8's,

Well, it appears to still be leaking. Not near as bad, and not seemingly from the bottom side, ...rather, from the back/intake side of the pipe mount, out of the RTV....BUT HOW TO BE SURE, YA KNOW?????? I guess I could do the initial start up, run it for 20min, but either way, I'm going to have to fix this leak, so I"m not sure if I should just tear it down now, get a new pipe(or have mine welded up-resurfaced) OR WHAT THE HECK I SHOULD DO! Bottom line, I can't just drive off into the proverbial sunset with it like this.....and I'm not happy, but oh well, right?

ANY IDEAS?
Old 05-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Trying to fire it up, but it's not starting. It's popping out the exhaust, and wanting to start, but just wont. Guess it's time to start over with the timing or something. Plus, that pipe IS STILL leaking, so maybe I'm better off just tearing it down and fixing that before I do the initial run?

Ok, well, I'ma take a minute, before I really freak out, ....I know it's saturday and people are busy enjoying the weekend...so I'll wait on some advice.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Yeah, now that 22mm fuel cap on the end of the fuel rail(toward the front) is leaking as well. It's as tight as I feel comfortable getting it without risking stripping. Also, the CSI time switch seems to be leaking from the banjo type washer..... Also, it still wont start, and I've checked the timing, ...It's TDC-0-with the rotor dead on #1, and the cam was perfectly aligned with it b4 putting on the V-cover(dimple at 11:50 and Mark at 12o'clock. Anyway, that's redundant, and at this point, I'm thinking; It's gonna be best to just tear it down, buy a new pipe, new banjo washers, new intake(because of the BVSV sleeve/stripping AND, because it's possibly damaged inside where the pipe goes in(not sure about that, but anyway....also, the fuel rail end cap is leaking, so I'll have to figure that out as well. Maybe it's just not building enough fuel pressure cuz of the end cap or something, but nevertheless, SOMETHING'S WRONG, eh?

I'm a bit ticked, as you can imagine, but it's alright...better than blowing the thing up or it catching on fire or something. OH WELL...........
Old 05-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Oh yeah, one more thing..............

..........AND HOPEFULLY, A SOON TO BE........

Thanks for all the support, guys, and I'm sure I'll get some pics of it's unfortunate reentry into the garage, the tearing down and then reassembly........

I don't know what else there is to say, other than "I CAN NOT do this half arsed!", lol. What I mean is, ....after all that work, after making sure to get the best parts i could, etc., and doing everything to spec's, ....I can't handle doing this in any way improperly. And, obviously, ....I did something/some things improperly, or that just could not have been foreseen....so ONWARD I GO, .........

And, like the signature on every email I send says, .........

"Many a failure gave up before he realized how close to success he actually was." Thomas Edison ..........and HECK NO, I'm no Thomas Edison...but I'll sure try to do my best, lol.

Thanks again, guys, and if anyone can tell me, ......what things do I need to do regarding re-lubing the Cam, etc? Anything in particular that someone could mention would be greatly appreciated.

A frustrated but determined,

Mark
Old 05-22-2010, 04:08 PM

Still looking for some input, but I've decided to try and fix everything, if I can, without tearing it down. I'm getting really busy due to being behind, and I just don't want to do it if I don't have to. Haven't heard from anyone yet, and I figure, "what the heck can it hurt to try, eh?" ......

I replaced the Banjo's on the Fuel Rail Pressure Dampner(can that thing leak, if the banjo's are new and snug and not leaking?....cuz the new banjo's seem to have fixed it....but just wonder if it can leak out of that plastic thing on the bottom, or if that's just a cover).

I replaced the banjo on the CSI time switch, as well, and I think that's sealed up as well now. GOOD LORD would it be nice to not have to tear this down.

Now, I'll have to see why it's backfiring(exhaust popping is backfire, right?) and why it wont start. GRRRRR, lol.

BUELLER??????? LOL.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Chef (mark).....did you use new crush washers...... i used new ones at the Cold start injector and the big fuel supply at the front of the rail.

popping.....is your distributor in right?

you accomplished as much in one month as i did in 9 months....give yourself some credit man...this is a huge endeavor and you're doing it right.......just it's very hard (i know this well) to keep the pace slow and steady when the end is so near.....
Old 05-22-2010, 04:11 PM

hahahahah we posted at the same time.....
Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM

YAYYYYY, INPUT! lol.....especially from you, having done this many times.

OK;

1. I did NOT replace the crush washers on the damper.......UNTIL NOW, ...hahhaha....and it seems to have WORKED! So, one leak down, ....then, replaced the crush on the CSI time switch, added a lil-TEEEEEEEEEENY bit of RTV, ....have to check that after filling the fluid again...but I think it's good...I used a 24deep socket on it and went pretty tight but not TOO tight, know what I mean?

Ok, well, the distributor, .....It was right on 1 when I slid it in there, and now, not having known the 'notch on the gear' thingymadoer....I'm not sure! lol. If that notch is one off, will it refuse to start from what you know?

HELLLLLLLLLLLP! LOLOL.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread