86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have an LCE header on my 22re and I too hear a ticking sound, but only until the engine get good and warm, so the header is good and warm. To me that is a normal noise, but I am guessing that what you are talking about is different.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey B(XXX), ...yeah, the hourglass thing is what he said...and as I remember, mine are all like a cylindrical shape, flat on the bottom with a slightly/BARELY rounded corner(Like a pencil eraser, i suppose, on the bottom...just maybe not that rounded on the edge? I have pics, I'll find one)>

Here's one;

Here's a couple more;

You know, this is what ticks me off.... that I CAN'T KNOW, with almost anything, just what this GUY did in my motor...or DID NOT do, I should say...grrr, loll.

Are you talking about an hourglass shape in the middle, where I can't see? Anyway, I guess I'll have to pull some out to really get a look, if so. Because, when I pulled the CAM w/out pulling the head, I don't think we removed any of the adjuster nuts/screws. But Andy DID LOOK at the bottoms of them, etc., to be sure they weren't pitted, etc., as I remember.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Hey Truckman, ......

Ok, on the 02, "Check", I'll do it that way.

On the valves, ......with the engnbldr.com CAM(261), the lash is set at .007(I) & .009(E). I was doing 8 and 12 with my Original CAM, ...but it was TOAST, lol. Didn't matter what I set things at with that CAM, ....it would NEVER hold timing, thus, causing me to chase my tail, lol.

Far as the springs b2ween each of the rockers.... Andy, my mechanic buddy told me that they used quality spacers and I THINK he said the springs were new.

All I know is, that when I listen with the stethoscope on the studs, ....that rear/driver side stud is DEFINITELY louder. I can't tell if it's what the tick is, though..... because the noise through the stud is constant. The NOISE I HEAR, outside the truck, is NOT constant, ya know? Ahhhh, lol. I HOPE I'll have time today for this..... They are supposed to leave after lunch.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
nono chef, right on the tip, you have to take the rockers off to see it. The "hourglass" shape would be brighter than the rest of the material on the screws. I wish I had saved mine to show people. Or even had a camera at the time I did my rebuild.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Hey Coops....

I'm thinking of trying the Remflex Gasket I have on for size..... Maybe I just have too many blemishes on the head, causing a tick? I KNOW one thing, for sure..... the guy gave me back the head with some of the exhaust studs still in there... so how in the heck could he have resurfaced it there? Maybe he found it to be unwarped, etc. ......AGAIN, how can i KNOWWWWWWWW, with this GUY! lol.

Thanks for the input. To be honest, I do hear louder 'things' from that rear stud, ... but maybe it's just semantics of how things are set up in there. I guess I can't know if it's a LASH way off until getting in there. But, if that's not off......I HAVE NO IDEA! Ya know?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
nono chef, right on the tip, you have to take the rockers off to see it. The "hourglass" shape would be brighter than the rest of the material on the screws. I wish I had saved mine to show people. Or even had a camera at the time I did my rebuild.
Have to take the ROCKERS OFF? Lord, I hope you mean "take the screws out"..... right? lol. Do you mean "Under the nut"?

DAYUM I wish I got pics of when we pulled the rocker assembly.... I KNOW we pulled some of those out, cleaned em up... Well, I THINK we did, hahahah. I just can't remember. We kept everything in order, METICULOUSLY! I do know that, lol.

You mean "Take the set screws OUT OF THE rockers, right?"

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-17-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 AM

oh yeah oops haha yeah screws out, that's right they come out without removing the rockers from the shaft. haha. See you know what you are doing.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 PM

Hahahaha! FHEWWWWWWWWW <<< that was me, for a quick min! lol. Then I said, ...."OHHHHH kayyyyyyyy, ....that's a Brandon-Oops, I KNOW IT, ......better be!" hahaha.

Hey, thanks man, ...that was a good laugh, and don't worry, ...you know me by now, I ALWAYS triple check everything. And trust me, SERIOUSLY..... I've looked back and found MANY instances that, if I'd just had gone forward with some suggestions/recommendations....... well, you get the point ,haha. Having said that....... I LOVE ANY input, even wrongly stated(NOT yours, B. And yes, I was pretty sure what you meant ). It not only helps me to put the "ABSOLUTE/PROPER method" away in my memory banks, ya know what I mean? Then, when someone comes along, asking questions of "Hey, I heard this", .....someone can say, "OHHHHH BOY, I have the guy/thread for you,......this Chefyota guy, yadda yadda .......etc." hahaha.

I'll post pics when I get them out, GOD WILLING AND THE CREEK DON'T RISE......they'll be going out within 20 minutes, and I can head out there. .......till then, I'm serving Corned Beef Brisket Hors' Devours! lol. Yep, got some pics of the dinner last night, too... HOLY SMACKERAL, ...one of the best Grass/Corn Fed Nebraska Beef Brisket I've ever had given to me!!!!(people give me things all the time to get me to use them, regularly... "THANKS!:GREAT:" HAHAHA.) Post pics, later, but now, on to the Valve Adjustment and AC Reseal! WOOT! lol.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:31 PM

If my engine bay was a little neater, and not after market stuff laying around and wires not where they really should be, vacuum lines i loops etc etc I'd take a video. lol.

Not to mention I think my fuel pressure gauge took a crap as well.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
If my engine bay was a little neater, and not after market stuff laying around and wires not where they really should be, vacuum lines i loops etc etc I'd take a video. lol.

Not to mention I think my fuel pressure gauge took a crap as well.
Hmmmm, ...... yeah, I'm lost, ..PLEASE explain, as it will drive me nuts all day! lol. You mean, a video of some testing you're going to do? What are you wanting to do with the fuel pressure tester? Etc., etc., lol. Wait, ..you mean you have a fuel pressure gauge permanently installed? I MUST KNOW, please, inform your Bruva Cross the Country! hahaha.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 PM

My "permanent" fuel pressure gauge attached to my fuel pressure regulator took a crap, it's showing 0 psi. And I know the thing is getting fuel so I know it's not the regulator.

And by video I mean my valve tick with the 268.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:01 PM

OOOH, ok, thanks B! If you get one, that would be great, cuz I CAN NOT get the Camera's audio to hear it! GRRR! Trust me, I'm not being paranoid, ..it's there. For some reason, the Camera can't catch it on mine. PS> Sorry to hear about your Guage! You put it in between the regulator and rail? I'd like to see that. I know, our pressures are MUCH different...but still. lol.

Anyway; Here's a lil Teaser from Yesterday... I also made home made Extra Sour Corn Rye.... but didn't get pics. I'll get some later when I make a SANGWITCH! lol....
Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM

OK, welllllllll,

I tore it down, today, adjusted the valves(They were a lil off on the exhaust side, but for the most part, pretty right on. Anywhoooo, the tick is still there. My batteries died right when I was gonna take a pic of the set screw, out, to see what you guys thought.

I'll post the videos and pics I got, but for now, I'm just BUSHED! Time to crash. Not sure what to say, guys.... Either there's something wrong in the top end or I INDEED have an exhaust leak. Guess I'll start fresh, tomorrow, and decide what I'ma do,

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in.... VERY much appreciated!

Mark
Old 03-18-2011, 05:23 PM

HERRO? LOL.

OK, anyway, UPDATE;

First thing I did, today, was double-nut and then tighten down 3 more LCE Exhaust studs...(my fault, I never did them right when installing the header). Then, I drove around a bit, and almost immediately noticed that the tick is not only worse, it's more perpetual(constant)... NOT LITERALLY constant, ...but FAR more often throughout the range of RPM's, ya know? Now, if I just hold it almost anywhere, 35, 45, 20MPH, even at higher RPM's, like 2000 or so..... it ticks like crazy.

I understand what a "normal 22re noise" is, ...I've had 5! This is not only ABNORMAL, it's understandably(i feel) got me concerned. The reason being, ...IF I EVER get out to see my Dad, etc, it will be 100*F+! If my adjuster screws are bad, etc., then YEAH, I don't think it's a stretch to say that one exploding in there while I'm 180Miles out on the 10Frwy, middle of the desert.... NOT GOOD! lol.

What I'M GOING to do, tonight or tomorrow, is try the "REMFLEX" gasket. I have nothing to lose, and I even have an extra OEM exhaust gasket, should this one 'TICK' me off(pun intended, lol).

If that doesn't solve it, ....... I'm really just totally out of ideas, and to be honest, TIRED OF THIS CRAP! lol. HONESTLY, I am, ...but not angry, what's the point, ya know?

HERE ARE PICS, PLEASE LOOK, and tell me if they look bad, the adjuster screws(I didn't get pics with them out, because my batteries died! GRRR! Brandon, could you do me a picture of what you're talking about with the "shape" or "hourglassing" perspective? These look a lil pitted, and to be honest, so do the top of the valves.............

AND BELOW, the #4 Rocker adjuster screw, ...the rocker I THOUGHT(might be) was making all the noise...

PLEASE, give your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark(aka "The Gremlin Rancher!")
Old 03-18-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I LLOOOOOVVVEEEE my remflex gaskets! got em on my 20R, Turbo Soob, and my 454! they rock!!!!

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Coops....

I'm thinking of trying the Remflex Gasket I have on for size..... Maybe I just have too many blemishes on the head, causing a tick? I KNOW one thing, for sure..... the guy gave me back the head with some of the exhaust studs still in there... so how in the heck could he have resurfaced it there? Maybe he found it to be unwarped, etc. ......AGAIN, how can i KNOWWWWWWWW, with this GUY! lol.

Thanks for the input. To be honest, I do hear louder 'things' from that rear stud, ... but maybe it's just semantics of how things are set up in there. I guess I can't know if it's a LASH way off until getting in there. But, if that's not off......I HAVE NO IDEA! Ya know?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Hey Truckman

Thanks so much for the time you've spared to try and help me out. The AC will be soon, btw, ...just HAVE to put this friggen 'TICK' monster to rest! hahaha. Well, "Have to.... if I can find it conclusively" haha.

yeah, I'm sure the Remflex is great. I look forward to popping on the goodies they've included. I can't know until I try it, right? That's just it, ....I'm really gonna flip out, most likely, if I fire it up and it's as loud as ever!(meaning, ...if it's something in the valve train!) lol. I'm wanting to get a collector from them, too....because the kit didn't have that. I could use the piece they sent for testing the crush,....but it's just NOT thick enough, I'm afraid. Thick enough for the header gasket, sure, but not the collector. I'm not even sure that's leaking at all... hopefully it's sealed up with the 'dual/gasket' type they used. We'll see.

Any thoughts on the pics, etc>??

Take care, man,

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-18-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 PM

chef that adjuster on #4?? you say doesn't look good. It looks at least like it's worn at an angle. More gap on one side then the other. Should be a heck of alot closer to level then that. I meant to say that in my PM as well. I would change them. And then go back in at 500 miles and again at 1500 miles and you should be fine. When you adjust them be sure not to turn the crank backwards if you go too far, if you do then go forward as the slack in the chain can cause the measurement to be off due to the cam not being at base circle.

Some say don't go backwards at all but there is one thing I think is a myth, has something to do with the oil film etc etc but I think that theory is bogus. lol. Maybe if you turn a full revolution I can see but not when your adjusting valves. The important part is that your last movement before adjusting is forward if that makes sense to ya.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM

hey chef, help me out here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ail-x2-231832/
Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 PM

THANK YOU, BRANDON! Yeah, the second pic, with 2 adjuster screws(one is blurry and one is clear?) The clear/focused one is #3 exhaust valve. The #4 one is actually the "close up" pic, the first picture I posted. IT SEEMS like more noise is coming from back in that area of those 2 valves.

Ok, on the link, I'll share what I can, ...steering eh? lol. Be right there
Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 PM

and yes to that one pic in the pm if any of them look like that well it's time to change the valves. And again you change one you change them all but that's just my opinion. Same thing with the adjusters, if you change one you change them all along with the nuts as well.

Pitting in moderation of the tops of the valves might be ok. But find out if that guy supposedly changed those adjusters. If those look like that after 2500 miles or whatever there is something else wrong. But then again you can't trust the guy in saying he changed them or not due to the issue with the chain guides.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread