86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
PS> My Coolant Temp is just over a third, even after driving through the 100*F desert last August, while on my trip. NEVER overheated. Just ran a LIL warmer when the rings were finally seating?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chef on my a/c the compressor is the part that leaks, mine is leaking at the seal in the middle where the front and rear half meet, its a slow leak in mine and also leaks a little oil through that spot. you might want to check that out, i can see mine from under the rig. Hope it works out. A/C is great. i converted too 134 so i can just top it off when its low. I have a gauge set also.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks, Cougar! I will check that out. Any thoughts on my tick/bad mileage/possible rich condition? hahaha. I can't wait till I'm DONE with the 'MYSTERIES'! I don't mind the work....IT'S ALL THE GUESSING AND STUDYING THAT'S GETTING TO ME! lol.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM

JUST TO UPDATE SO PEEPS DON'T HAVE TO READ BACK TOO MUCH;

Took it in to get the exhaust leak at the collector fixed. I think it's fixed now.....but the 'TICK,TICK,TICK' goes on!

YES< I have a tick that is only present at certain RPM's. 1000-1500, and it seems to be turning to almost anytime I hold it at a certain RPM, ...except for Idle.

*** When I listen with the stethoscope to the rear/driver side stud on the cover, ...it's pretty loud. I can't hear it getting louder as the tick appears, but it's much louder on that stud/nut than the rest of them.

*** I hear NO loud ticking when listening with the scope on the cover, just at the studs(they go right into the rocker assembly, so figures)... That tells me nothing is hitting the cover.

*** I was also told that my CAT was "Too hot, it's got to be MUCH unburned fuel getting in there". But 'Truckman', who has posted here, seems to think the pics on the last page of my CAT are normal, and if it's not glowing red, it's probably ok

*** NEW: CAT, Header, Motor-Top&Bottom/including CAM, 02, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, TPS, CTS, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, IACV, and MUCH MORE,.......

*** ORIGINAL: EGR Valve, CSI Time Switch(seemed to read fine), BVSV, 5Yr. old Muffler.....and I'm sure much more.

I did videos but THE SOUND SUCKS! I'll try again so you all can hear it. But it looks like I'll have to guess and pull the valve cover again and adjust one more time. If they don't test out of specs, ...I'M LOST! ...........Wrist pin? whateverrrrrrrrrr,lol.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 AM

Chef .just put a 22r in a pickup had a tick same area I did not bother any further
Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mark, no real advise for you Mark except to follow engnbldr's advise and turn on some Segar untill something falls off.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you 100% you don't have a tiny exhaust leak in #4???

Aside from that and readjusting the valves, not sure. Seems like you covered everything that I'd go over. To be honest I think the CAT looks ok, maybe take it to another shop and ask "Is this color normal?". What can it hurt??

All in all I think you're ok and just run it.

I get around 20 in the truck with 31's 5spd 4.10's.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I got to get another vid up of my tick as well. Could be perfectly normal. I think I remember someone somebody saying the EB cams tend to be a little noisier then stock. But then again you have had that in there for a while. What specs are you using for valve lash? maybe tighten them up another .01. ie if .08/.11 then go to .07/.10. It won't hurt anything.

I think EB's specs at least on the 268 are a little larger then OEM as well. But I know mine is a little loud but normal, and Jerry's OEM cam that I set the lash on was once and never went back in and his is a heck of a lot quieter than mine.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Mine's a little noisy but it was never quiet from the beginning from when I got her.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:56 PM

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the 'experience' input. I spent about an hour last night, listening to "Ticks" and "Wrist Pin" and "Rod Knock" videos on youtube, hahaha. I realized something. Most all of those sounded like tractors, not to mention, one thing that was pretty much universal with them..... THEY WERE CONTINUOUS TICKS! What threw me(as most things have) is the multiple 'opinions' on "This is why something is/isn't an exhaust tick", and "This is why something is/isn't a valve train/bottom end noise". I can't seem to get a solid answer on how to diagnose/differentiate on what's what, ....ya know? lol.

I just got through to Tod, at engnbldr.com, ....and I'll explain what he said, #4, below.

First I want to remind y'all, in case it helps with 'thoughts' ,..... this 'tick' is NOT continuous..... ok, so, ...........

What I DID find, on multiple professionals diagnostic method pages, was;

1. Pull the plug wires, one at a time, and if it goes away, ......then it's more likely a wrist pin(lower end), and it sounds like it's in the top end because it hits at the top.(However, Tod added something, ...See #4)

2. Listen for the speed of repetition; There are clear differences between the speed of the tick when it's CAM timing related or CRANK timing related. The valve issues are usually much faster, and when you give it lots of gas, then let off the throttle, you can usually hear improperly adjusted or bad valves chattering seemingly erratically.(Tod added something, see #4)

3. Exhaust; Exhaust is usually more of a 'shush'ing sound, but CAN be a tick on occasion, when the hole is VERY small and right at the exhaust port of the Head/Header Surface.

4. TOD, INFORMED me, as usual, of a few things I needed a conclusive answer on.
.....a. "A wrist pin makes more of a thud, is slower in repetition(crank speed) and almost NEVER comes and goes... it's constant." FHEWWWWWWWWW!
.....b. "A valve out of adjustment doesn't usually tick at 'random', either. It will chatter as you come down from HIGH rpms, like feathering the throttle up to 3000rpm from idle, then letting it just drop(it will make a rapid, somewhat erratic chatter, ...then back to it's 'tick-tick-tick-tick' "
.....c. "I am looking at a head, right now, and I also have found that, SOMETIMES, if the Bottom-Right exhaust stud is not all the way in, it can escape through the threads and make a racket. That stud goes into the EGR passage/channel in the head, and if it's not in, at least close to the tongue that stops the stud, ....well, you could have a leak there, too."
.....d. "Sometimes, when guys rebuild these, .....they re-use the adjuster screws. This can either cause nothing, or it can wreak gremlins-havoc. They try to shave em down, but if they're out of specs, they'll always back out and cause a racket. If your machinist used the new rockers but didn't get new adjuster screws..... it could be why you're having to go in there a third time and mess with that rocker/valve adjustment. Pull out the screw and inspect it. If it's "CROWNED", that's good.... but if you see any flat spots, I would call the dealer and order new ones."

TOD,..... I HAVE TO SAY, ONCE AGAIN, ....THANK YOU! You've given me definitive answers, MANY TIMES, giving of your free time, and I am VERY grateful!

I guess I'm going to first try to make CERTAIN that I don't have an exhaust issue(Put a flame near the flange of the header, trying to find ANY spot where it forces the flame out.... hmmm, reminds me, I need to find my torch! lol) Then, I WILL probably get in there and adjust the valves(pretty sure it's just #4 Hole, but gotta check'm'all, ya know?).

Thanks again, guys, ...and I don't mean to be ignorant of the "Ahhhh, it's normal" stuff. I guess it's just after all the work and drama with mysterious issues/gremlins, ...... I don't think I'm being anal in wanting it to run quietly as possible.... especially if it's an issue. More importantly; what if I get in there and find a REALLY loose rocker, etc.... I would rather find that while digging around(as much as I'd like to avoid doing so, trust me, haha) than FINDING OUT ON THE 40HWY, half way to Needles, CA(120*) for a Colorado River Fishing Trip, or heading to Lake Havasu, AZ(126*F soon, lol), to visit my pops! lol.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM

Adjusting screws...Could be, I've seen stranger things.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:45 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
so you got a screw loose? what else is new?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Chef, I been checking in from time to time and would sure like to be at the point you are at in a lot of ways. Have been busy. Keep on inspiring the rest of us out here.

As far as the ticking, all 3 of my 22REs make some kind of noise and I know that is not alot of help. I see some of the recipes you have put up and they sound great. The wife and me have been trying to expand our menu by looking up things on the internet. You know some easy sites for Cajun or Oriental let me know.

Have really enjoyed following your build. Your truck is getting better all of the time, even with the setbacks you run into occasionally. We all have a few and you just start digging into it and make it easier for the rest of us. Keep up the great work.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Adjusting screws...Could be, I've seen stranger things.
Yeah, .....ME TOO! hahaha. At this point, can you blame me for considering just about anything? I think if someone told me, "yeah, I KNOW what it is....a Geyser Spider got in my motor and took over all my coolant ports....that's probably what happened to yours!" ....well, ok, I'd probably not go that far, ...but I HAVE SEEN SQUIRRELS living under intakes, yeah? haha. Good to hear from ya, Lumpy... always grateful for any input, small or substantial!

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
so you got a screw loose? what else is new?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ....... Ok, "Yeah", probably! lol. Thanks for the levity, .....at my expense, RIGHT ONNNNNN, BRUVA! lol... .Seriously, hope all's well, J-Dawg! Lol.... NOOOOOOO, wasn't me, ....btw, how is that bleeding cranium???? lol.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hey Chef, I been checking in from time to time and would sure like to be at the point you are at in a lot of ways. Have been busy. Keep on inspiring the rest of us out here.

As far as the ticking, all 3 of my 22REs make some kind of noise and I know that is not alot of help. I see some of the recipes you have put up and they sound great. The wife and me have been trying to expand our menu by looking up things on the internet. You know some easy sites for Cajun or Oriental let me know.

Have really enjoyed following your build. Your truck is getting better all of the time, even with the setbacks you run into occasionally. We all have a few and you just start digging into it and make it easier for the rest of us. Keep up the great work.
Wow, right on, Terry! Thanks for the compliment and stopping by as well. Yeah, I guess I've been lucky, NONE of mine, header or not, have ever made this kind of noise for long. I WON'T STAND FOR IT! hahaha. Funny thing, ...with mine, it's ALWAYS something strange, never a simple to discern 'rod knock' or 'piston slap', hahaha. DON'T GET ME WRONG, ...don't want those things. Just wish I could go through ALL I have and NOT still be chasing my tail on some things. Like the EFI/Mileage issue, ....just bizarre, ...but I MUST have missed something, ya know? Back to the drawing board, I guess, lol.

Far as the cooking...I'll hit ya up asap. Just been SO BUSY for so long. I didn't even get to adjust the valves today.

BUTTTTTTTTTT.........................

I did hit the bottom left exhaust stud, .....it went in 5-6 FULL TURNS! hahaha. Yet the tick is still there. They're all at 33#, haven't moved for weeks now....so I guess either I have a leak through the gasket(after 3K? hmmm) or it's something in the valve train. We'll see... I'll be in there soon and letcha all know what I find!

hahaha.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM

CHEF EB told me the same thing on my rebuild, which is why I got new adjuster and nuts from the dealer only. Any questions, ask EB why he won't use anything else anymore. It's a pretty funny but horrifying story.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM

Yeah, he told me that one, Brandon! lol..... And I DON'T BLAME HIM, do you? haha. I called him and asked him "Can I get some rockers with the cam?" ....."NO, DEALER ONLY!" lol.

PS> Any thoughts?^^^ W.I.Mean is, .....wanna guess if they're loose or tight or something? lol. Maybe it is a screw or one of the nuts.... What I DO know, from when I pulled the rocker assembly w/out pulling the head, is.... EVERYTHING up there, other than the CAM, looked great! I had a REALLY good mechanic, Andy, helping me do that job, ...and he didn't seem to think any of them looked bad. Can't know till I get in there. I think it's just that the #4 Exhaust Valve, maybe Intake too, have worked the rocker into the cam and, well, it's time for one last adjustment. ............Just guessing, lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-16-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 PM

g;ad your making progress chef
Old 03-17-2011, 04:49 AM

Chef if the adjuster nut looks lie it has an hour glass shape on the tip of t were it meets the rocker they should be replaced. I did reuse my rockers, but I just used some fine emery cloth to smooth them out.

You did break that cam in correctly right? Load either alot of oil on it or grease it up upon install and vary your rpm between 2000-3000 for about 20-30 minutes right?

I think EB had more issues with the adjuster nuts then the rockers though. Just so some others might know, he would heat the adjuster up in his vise and smack them with a hammer, the non dealer ones would snap in half and fly across the room. The Toyota ones would do pretty much nothing. Now imagine one of those adjuster inside your rocker cover if one of them happens to snap.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
THANK YOU, Truckman, for also chiming in.... VERY GRATEFUL!!! ...

I don't mean to be a pest, nor to appear as a dolt, lol... I KNOW this engine pretty well, and I've been through the ECU testing, most every facet, EFi system, ignition systems, even the emissions systems, to the point of MIGRAINE! lol. I just seem to keep having ticks, hiccups that are more difficult than others to diagnose.

One thing I can share, not sure if it's relevant..... THERE IS ALMOST NO SMELL from my tailpipe. It smells clean, most often. Little stinky when cold, but I'm pretty sure that's the system getting the CAT, etc., up to temp.

Something I've also tested, a couple times, was the Ox/TE1(can't remember) setting in the diagnostic port for 02 Operational Tests..... It seemed to fluctuate 8 times or so every 10 Seconds(as I remember the FSM saying was normal) and I THINK it read between near 0(maybe .69) and 8(can't remember, to be honest). The last time I checked that was AT THE DEALER, with the Foreman, as he liked me so much, we became friends, and he actually welcomed me back there to help him, well, GET MY TRUCK FIGURED OUT AND OUT OF THERE! lol. We never did, another mechanic did so, by running it on propane(he figured out it was mechanical/top end/CAM-Valves, etc). However, I do remember the Dealership Foreman showing me in the actual FSM, "See, it's doing what it's supposed to". I KNOW, ...... I had a donor ECU in there, and it was from a wrong year or something, so it kept throwing Knock sensor and 02 Codes..... Put the right ECU back in, and voila, no more codes, period.(I later had Japanese Auto Center in Torrance, CA check it... and that guy ran it on propane and found the main issue at the time).

Honestly Truckman? If you read up there in another recent post.... the noise I'm hearing from that rear/driver side stud on the valve cover......it's MUCH louder than the rest. Just a lil concerned that, after only 1200 miles of this CAM, 2 checks of the valve lash, .....I already have a bad valve tick again??????????? Keep in mind, this entire motor is a fresh rebuild, even a balanced/checked replacement crank, new Valves, keepers, Rockers, springs, etc..... Until a couple weeks ago, aside from the collector leak, .....it has NO ticking! WTH? lol.

EDIT: Are you saying to check the 02 .....at the 02? lol. I've always tested them at the diagnostic port. One thing I wanted to add was..... the 02 flange on this LCE header and Pipe-to-CAT is MUCH further back than the factory.... by much, I mean, "around a foot"? I could measure. Anyway, a couple Guru's told me it wouldn't hurt to get a heated 02, if I'm planning on running this exhaust set up.(Not sure why LCE doesn't just put the dang 02 bung on the freakin 4-into-1 portion) Regardless.... I seem to remember it fluctuating properly according to what I saw and what the foreman at the dealer was showing me. I'll GLADLY check it..... I really need to figure out why I'm not getting the best mileage. BUT, I did state, couple posts ago, "I have been babying the pedal, and subsequently, the mileage IS much better, ....but still lacking." I'm thinking I'll get around 220Miles out of this 14 Gallons....IF I'M LUCKY!" I did get around 21 MPG, HWY, at one check I made. SEEMS to be sucking down the Go-Go around city driving conditions. I DO live on a pretty good hill, and I'm in L.A., home of the "SEA OF RED LIGHTS, whether on a pole in front of you or car in front of you....... it's bad!" hahaha
A heated o2 is only going to read faster on cold start. the heater is there to get the element in the sensor up to temp faster for quicker closed loop operation. no need to go that route. the original non-heated ones work great. and yes to check the o2 at the sensor not at the diagnosic plug because of possible resistances through the harness. hope i have helped. i'll keep checking back
Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and on your tick..... i usually set my valves on 20r's and 22r/re/rec/rte to .008 in and .012 ex. and i usually don't have any problems. i have seen the springs on the rocker shafts get weak and the rockers actually tap against the pedestals while idling. maybe you got something going on there.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread