86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how the exhaust tick thing is. I couldn't figure out where it was coming form on our 85 so I took everything out and ran a glasspack and new pipe. No cat or anything (we can do that cuz there is no emissions above 9k ft here)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Z, I hear ya.... not in the Peoples Republic of California, however, lol.

Ok, I opened up the Remflex Kit, ...no collectors there. Only the 02 gasket, Return Pipe Block off Gaskets, EGR and Exhaust Mani one. There is one piece that is for testing with pliers(just says "50% Crush Test Piece") It's big enough in diameter but not in width to do the job. Grrr. I might just try some copper stuff, but really don't want to do that. So looks like back to Superior Muffler. I KNOW i AM USING the donuts that LCE Gave me..... And I have another set from Rock, they look like Gunmetal Gray(LCE's are Aqua colored... Pretty sure they're OEM).

PS> Even though there might be a TINY angle of the pipes.... I just don't see it being enough to cause a leak. It's almost as if the flange Indentations on the LCE header collector and the LCE Collector pipe are too deeply recessed to properly seal it up. Otherwise, it MUST be a hole in the weld they did....(????)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-13-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:03 PM

Most definitly, they are Nazis out there for stuff like that. I like the sate but not the politics.

As for your exhaust leak, I would think it has to do something with the welds. Prolly a tiny spot that didn't get hit.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:09 PM

man i would eat off of those valve covers, soo clean in there!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by charliestoytruck
man i would eat off of those valve covers, soo clean in there!
Hahaha. Thanks man! ..... yeah, it's clean, and I'm sure it'll be plenty filthy this spring and summer, ...IF I CAN EVER GET TO THIS FREAKING IFS RESTORE! HAHAHA. Even then, ....I'm pretty OCD, ..I'll probably clean it up after long wilderness/Sequoia and Sierra trips! lol. Although, It was pretty much a disturbing mess before I started all this, so who knows, maybe I'll just leave it filthy! lol.

Best wishes on the Weather, man, ....hope you can get under yours again, soon!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Most definitly, they are Nazis out there for stuff like that. I like the sate but not the politics.

As for your exhaust leak, I would think it has to do something with the welds. Prolly a tiny spot that didn't get hit.

Hmmmm, yeah, you know what? Even though I got a pretty dang good deal from a VERY good shop...... Why not let them find it, right? haha.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Ticks I hate um. Get yourself a good setero and bass takes care of those ticks right away
Old 03-13-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Haha im sorry chef, i just dont know what to tell you buddie.

My buddies 85 C-10 just started that annoying ticking and were trying to figure out what in the world it is.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 PM

Hahah, you guys, ....nahhh, no need to apologize, Bo! lol.

I hear ya, 4Freak'nRun'r'Dude! lol.... But I just can't handle it or let it go. lol. Not after all the time spent on this thing, ....that just wont fly. But thanx for the reminder of the loud radio, lol. I can't hear it with the window up at all, lol. But, I drive with the arm out, know what'i'mean? Plus, I don't really "THUMP" much with the tunes any more. I have a decent system, but I listen to more Talk stuff, plus books, Old Radio Hour, Language, yadda yadda, ya know? lol. Lately, I've been so focused on getting the rig JUST RIGHT, ...I just listen to her more than anything else, lol. Oh well, I'll get it, ...or should I say 'THEY'LL GET IT', soon as I can stop in there. As long as they don't charge me, they'll be taking care of it. Have a good one, guys! Always appreciate ya stopping in.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 PM

OH> PS> ....... "BATTLE LA"??? (long sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh), lol..... VERY disappointing! Better than "Skyline", but that's not saying much! lol. Plus; Was WAY TOO MUCH camera shake, and I'm talking 'HEY, MR. Riverdancer, ....PLEASE FILM THIS WHOLE MOVIE FOR US WHILE DOING THE MOST VIOLENTLY AGGRESSIVE MOVES YOU CAN THINK OF???? THANKS' grrrrr! lol. NO STORY! Just, ...yeah, not pleased.

Only movie I've EVER seen maybe an EQUAL amount of time filler gun fire was "Black Hawk Down", ...and hell, that was actually a BATTLE! lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey man, I hear ya, .....but nothing 'exotic' bout this flower, lol. I understand, though, if you've not got a larger chain store around ya, ....might not have em. BUT, NOW, indeed, is the time to keep an eye out for em! You can get em year-round here, and since they're around 1$ a piece right now for Jumbo Artichokes, the grocery stores, even in the country, are more likely to have them at this time of the year. Best bet with the first cooking of one is to steam/boil it. I cut off the top(bout 1.5"), and stem, leaving around 1/4-1/2" of it, to aid in even/quicker cooking(they take around 1-1 and 1/2 hours to cook, properly. Once you cut the top off, coat it in lemon, to prevent oxidizing(browning), then put in medium/heavy salted water, add couple tbsp. of olive oil and cover, let em boil. When you can pull on the outer leaves with tongs(NOT tugging, just pull) and they come out FAIRLY easily, they're usually done. Pull it out, upsidedown to drain, then test with knife in the bottom(The Heart) for done-ness. Knife should go in and come out without resistance. The heart is the BEST part, in most opinions, and you just remove all the leaves(eating the meat off the ends, of course hahaha) and then pull all the "hair" off(It's really like the pestles of flowers)and what I do is dip the leaves and heart in good home made Mayo(Aioli, which is a Mayo blended with Roasted garlic ROOLS: lol)

Smoking can work, but they are PRETTY unique and heavy on their own natural flavors, as is..... and I personally wouldn't recommend smoking for them.(IT WOULD be good, and sure, one could do some that way, ....but they just taste so dang good, all on their own, ya know?)
Thanks Chef, I'm gonna have to make a trip to the big city, maybe Trader Joe's and pick me up a mess of em'. haha. I'm not a fan of mayo, so do't know about that dipp'n. Thanks for the pointers and info good buddy. Will be trying it soon. The jerusalem artichoke is what I always knew as an "artichoke". My maw makes pickled artichokes...man are they some kinda fitt'n! (good eats) We grow them ourselves. We grow just about anything you can in this climate...lol...just a good ol' boy that lives mostly off hte land and raise our own pork too.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Hey Chef nothing wrong with Blasting Dave Ramsey Out your speakers, or if you blast learn to speak french the bums will be able to beg in a whole new language haha. No but really I know how anoying ticks and taps are its not just somthing you can ignore. and Battle: L.A. was really that bad? hmmm.... makes me think twice about spending 8 bucks for popcorn and another eight for the tickets.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Jerusalem artichoke is a completely different (but also delicious) food. Traditional artichokes (or at least what us westcoasters think of as traditional) are possibly the most wonderful plant on the planet.

Maybe we need an ongoing thread "Camp and home cooking with Chef". I want a way to cook 'chokes on the trail. My mom used to cook them in a pressure cooker, but I can't figure out how to time them right. I either over or under cook them slightly, even on the stove.

I have used garlic butter for a dip in the past as well, and now I make a sauce out of mayo and garlic butter. I've heard of people using hummus as well.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 AM

good idea MC Lets get Corey to make it a sticky
Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 AM

Hahahaha. Hey TRD, ... MC, I hear ya on the Jerusalem Artichoke..... I guess the reason I've left that particular strain out is due to my second education on foods and food science(since LITERAL school has been over, lol... My degrees are in Food/Art Sciences). Oddly enough, most Biblical Dietary direction(not the Hebrew Diet, just that, well, most basic biblical dietary principles) have proven to be very accurate as far as what's best for the human body. I.e. Pork is not a "NO-NO", it's just best in moderation as it's a lil difficult for the human digestion to process... Fish w/out scales and crustaceans/mollusks are generally trash fish that are also outside the "NEVER, DON'T DO IT" food realm, but are generally much higher in toxins that are harder to digest/expel of by the liver, kidneys, etc.(Which also keeps your Digestion/filtration system working harder, longer, ....thus losing out on things).... And Jerusalem Chokes are also in this category(MUCH LOWER on the scale, lol), mainly because: Jerusalem artichokes contain an abundance of fructose-based carbohydrates thathumans don't have the enzymes needed to digest. As a result, beneficial bacteria in our intestines feed on them instead, in the process generating carbon dioxide and other gases that can cause abdominal discomfort..... A way to convert these carbs to a digestible form is to cook them at 200*F for around 12-14Hrs. I AM NOT saying "Don't eat them", by any means. Just that, well, being in food many years, there are things you target/snag from purveyors, others you never really buy much of or at all any longer.....and for me, (cook for 12Hrs.+ at 200*) is NOT practical, nor is it worth it, when i have so many other forms of Chokes out there.

Sorry for the long way to the point, but I wanted to explain. They are VERY common at stores, including Trader Joes, ..... and Trader Joes usually has a 4 Pack and then Single European(Globe type, with the LONGGGGG stem, still attached, ...not worth it IMHO, lol). Jerusalem Chokes are also called "Sunchokes"... and some stores use that name instead, because, well..... I'll just leave it at that, as I don't want to be lectured, nor break the rules, lol.

I'd love to shoot out some ideas on the cooking end of camping.... I just seem to have just enough time between cooking, teaching a lil on the side to clients in PV(How to make a Chateau Briand, Brisket, Ribs, Napoleons... WHATEVER, lol) to get on here and shoot the Yota-Banter around, lol. Plus, I'm REALLY still learning in most aspects of these rigs, lol. BUT YES, it sounds like a great idea and I'd chime in whenever I could. Remember, I deal with "foodies"(not the pleasant kind) ALL THE TIME, lol. Even on here, you show a few pictures, suddenly you're the target of an INSTANT P***ING contest, "Oh yeah, well can you make this?" hahaha. Just messin, ...but you know what I mean, I hope, lol. That's a turn off to me, COMPLETELY. I LOVE BEING proven wrong, ...it's not that... That means I'm learning something, and I'm fine with that. It's the competitive attitude some get, OUTSIDE OF THE CHILI CONTEST, lol...that's what rubs me wrong. I just wanna 'SHARE GOOD EAT'N', ya know? LOL

For camping, MC, what I do is Start the chokes, cut in half, shucked(pull the pestles out) in salted/lemon juiced/olive oiled water, boiling for about 5 minutes, hard, to start pulling out the GREEN, lol.....then lower it to simmer for around 20 Min more, then, covered with a foil tent on the grill, brushed with Garlic Infused butter, dash of salt and fresh cracked pepper, a dusting of paprika, then grill, SLOWLY, for another 20 minutes, or until the outer petals are at least edible(still fairly firm is ok, just test one of the inner pedals, half way in, to see if they come out easily and are nice and tender). The grill gives it an incredible flavor, especially depending on the wood used(but Propane is ok too). I love this method because, well, they turn QUICK in boiling water, and when halved, they cook much faster/more evenly, ya know? You can have some asparagus, corn on the cob(they both store well in a cooler/on a trip), also grilling at the same time, all of which give you time to get the meat on, you don't have to watch these veggies AS carefully, and I usually end up throwing them in a 'grill basket' anyhow, with a thick slice of onion, halved tomatoes(they go in last, seasoned well).

Sometimes, I'll throw on some halved Jalepeno's, stuffed with creamed cheese, topped with a grilled/cooked shrimp, wrapped in bacon. For this, I use a simple glaze of Apricot jam, mixed with a TINYyyyy/JUST ENOUGH TO BARELY TASTE IT, not overwhelming/ bit of Chipotle(I always have a can of chipotle, couple jar of jams, especially ones good on meats/AND FOR BREAKFAST, like Apricot---Plus, I grow all these fruits, including Santa Rosa Plums( HOLY CRAP THEY'RE GOOD! lol), SUPER-SWEET Apricots, White Peaches, Blood Orange Jams, etc)

I don't drink, but I use Beer Can Chicken Apparatus all the time. You can get the kit at most Targets, Walmart, Big Lots during the summer. I throw Worcestershire, herbs and garlic in the beer before strapping on the chicken, over the grill! lol.(I prefer using Dark Beers with this method...but Modelo is just fine! LOL

Turkey in the Dirt, as well as "Bury the Pig" is a fun thing to do as well. My favorite has probably always been the times we do whole boar on the spit, and even have done whole Thresher Shark on spit, slowly flame broil/rotisserie cooking them with good fruit wood that you occasionally soak for good smoke(just NOT TOO MUCH, lol). Man, we've done that Boar with a Sherry and Plum Jam Glaze, ....and people were RUNNING to our campsite from every direction.(I LOVE THAT STUFF, love people and meeting new ones, ......getting to know others through the TUMMY! lol) I've even stopped literal BATTLES from happening between 'certain different folks' from Palmdale, CA, and had them eating, drinking a lil and laughing before they went back down the hill to kill each other the next day, lol..... Simply by getting them eating, involved in the cooking, etc. I mean, "IT'S MY FOOD, but you're welcome, ..just keep that TRASH down in the valley, not up here, and we'll all be groaning STUFFED within 2 hours", lol.. know what I mean? hahaha.

Anyway, I wish I could go on, right now, but I really do have to get a few things done. I'll be back and I PROMISE, I am trying to get time to sit down, reformat my HD, ...so I can drop some of my recipes on here. Thing is, ...many of them have changed, DRAMATICALLY, over the years. What I mean is, ...I CHANGE THEM, make them better for 'more pallets', rather than their original construction, which is usually a 50/50 thing, ya know? So I have to type out a lot of stuff. As I said, most of it is by memory, so looking things up, then altering them a lil is easier, ...but it still takes time.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-14-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 AM

PS> Yeah, TRD, .. etc., lol... In every restaurant, I've always served them with an Aioli(Garlic Mayo) AND Drawn Butter(sometimes infused, sometimes not). I just prefer the Mayo, and these people don't eat much drawn butter anymore(medical issues). Mayo is just Egg's and oil(bound by Dijon, tiny bit).... and I make my own, so I can use GOOD oil.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:56 AM

x2 I think we should start a tread called trail eats! lol

I love to eat, and i'm sure most everyone does...

Oh, and chef, I have ventured out of the country cook'n spectrum.

-sushi (awesome cut bait…lol) I love it!

-Thai (mostly currys/noodles)

-Indian (currys/breads/butter chkn….)

-Mediterranean (Lebanese/Greek)

-Vietnamese (Bánh mě/ bbq pork/noodles/dumpling/soups…)

You get the point…I always say…”I’m willing to try anything twice!”

Last edited by trdwssrs; 03-14-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM

It is getting really hard to read one of my favorite builds
Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM

nice build man that runner is pretty nice man
Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 PM

Ac update

AC UPDATE FOR MIKE! STAT! lol....

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
It is getting really hard to read one of my favorite builds
EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeek! ..... sorry man! lol.

I have an update, lol......

Originally Posted by klsmith925
nice build man that runner is pretty nice man
Thanks a LOT, man! Very appreciated, ...it's coming along, that's for sure.

OK, Mike, hang in there! hahaha... I just got back from Toyota, but not before pulling every AC/O-Ring I could get my mits on.

1. Pulled them from both ends of the larger hoses on the compressor & both ends of those going in the firewall.(One of the latter mentioned goes to the condensor, behind the grill.

2. Pulled the grill, pulled all 4 O-rings off the Drier/evaporator/condensor, but left the drier installed until I get the new one, probably Friday(More on that, later). I don't want any avoidable moisture getting in the system, so I removed the O-rings and re-installed all the pipes/fittings.

3. Went down to to DCH-Toyota, Torrance, CA, and picked up my R12 O-Rings for $1.20 a piece, and also picked up 4 New Grill-to-Chassis mounting clips($3.20 a Piece.....I KNOW, but whatcha gonna do, zip ties? hahahhaa).

4. Priced the drier/evaporator from DCH(78$ with 20% off). Got it through dealerdirectparts.com for 46$, no Tax or Shipping(Last order he didn't want me getting the wrong Sway Bar Bushings, so he said, "Wait, and even if that's all you get next, I'll just wave shipping".... JOE, YOU ROCK! lol) So, I got all 8 Sway Bar Bushings and The AC Drier for 67$, shipped! WOOT! lol

5. My neighbor, a general contractor and GREAT mechanic, will be vacuum testing my system, butttttttt, he said, "Nah, let's just do it AFTER you get the new Drier, all the o-rings in, and THEN, I'll (1.) Evacuate the System, completely and (2.) Vacuum Test it, by loading it with 28inches and then we'll LOAD IT WITH ESTER AND R12, BABY!" hahaha. There is nothing in my system to evacuate, but he will at least pull all the remnant oil, and we'll put in Fresh. I'm also putting both new Schraders in, but having trouble from the parts stores, getting a CLEAR ANSWER! lol. Most of them have to order them ,....any ideas, GUYS?

ONE QUESTION, I'd really like to know for sure, .......

*** Under each side, Low Pressure and High on the compressor, ...there are 4 Allen Bolts holding down each rectangular section, one under each shcrader...... DO I NEED TO OPEN THOSE AND LOOK FOR O-RINGS? (stupid dealer diagrams don't show hardly ANYTHING any more. Luckily, my buddy at parts there asks the mechanics and they pointed him to the "ORANGE FOR R12" o-rings, ......if there are any under there, I'm sure they're one of the 3 sizes I found today) All in all I removed 2 Large O-rings, 4 Medium sized ones and 5 tiny ones.

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate any help on this, guys. I'm close!

I figure I'll change out the schraders when I have the rectagular pieces out. And, I'll replace all the o-rings, tomorrow, except for those behind the grill(no point until I get my drier, ya know? lol)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-14-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread