86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chef

if you can't get the R12, you can use this stuff, it works great, did mine about 10 months ago.

http://www.duracool.com/ecom/shoppingcart.html
Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Guys, .... nearly broke my foot/ankle/top bones behind pinky toe while twisting it and stepping improperly to avoid smashing my head! lol. FREAKIN HURTS! Oh well, it's not broke, ....but I guess sometimes torn lig's and such are even worse.(I've broken 32 Bones, some more than once,...so I should know, lol). I think it's my Extensor Tendons. It's already feeling much better, couple days later, ...so I must have just really badly bruised the bones and tendons... but HOLY CRAPOLI, guys, ...I couldn't even stand on it, literally, for 24Hrs., without falling down. (Yeah, I didn't know, got up after sitting for a while,....plop! hahahaha).

Ok, well, THANKS, COOPS! I'ma look into that, all of this stuff, asap. My neighbor said he'll evacuate the system, vacuum test it for me, etc., ....but "First you HAVE TO change out every o-ring you can get to.... they might look fine, but trust me, when that frigid/hot/frigid/hot crap starts going on, how nice will it be to have to change o-rings on a brand new charge, if they don't hold up(the old ones)???" ...So, I think I can get out and stand on it for extended time today, and get that done. I'm going to Havasu, AZ soon, ......trust me, not very far in time from now, it will be 120*F there, and I'll want that AC! hahaha. Heck, it'll be in the 90's here in no time, too. Last Easter was HOT! lol.

I'm gonna look around, but does ANYONE have a diagram of where all the o-rings are? I know there are the two on the compressor hoses/compressor unions. 2 on the Drier, ...... (are there two on the other end of the drier, the other end of the hoses that come to it, I meant???). Two by the firewall going into the cab, right? How about on TOP of the Compressor, under those allen bolts? My book doesn't seem to show much, I'ma hit up the link Brandon gave me, (FSM FTW!!!!!), lol, and see what I can find.

BUT C'MON, if you guys have any diagrams/listings of all o-rings, since you've done this, ....HIT ME! lol... Seriously, I'd be grateful, later guys,

Mark
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering the same thing when the pack of O-rings showed up, there are like 50 in there for he whole system.... kinda scary.... that's a lot of work!

hope that foot heals Chef, I know it sucks to be hurt! I'm getting ACL/meniscus repair next month, hurray....
Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM

Hahaha, ..... (not laughing at your injury! lol).... I thought the same thing in that Napa Kit, ....but it's for Retro-fit purposes. So, I'm going to return it, get all my seals/o-rings from the Dealership, OEM. I actually am uploading a video right now that mentions that, but that's otherwise just showing something my neighbor gave me. Oh, and THANKS for the well wishin! My Extensors are actually behaving, and have nearly completely calmed down, YAY!

Video next.... take care, Aaron!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Thought I'd post some pics of some recent grub they're out of town guests(:sigh: haha) have been shoveling down! Yeah, it's grill season, already, and it's been 80*F for two days now! WOOT! More importantly, a couple pics from my Grandson's first birthday! 'GO JAY!' hehe..........

Jay, playing "I SEE YOU" with his auntie, my Older Daughter.....

"GIMME DAT CAKE!" lol.........

Ok, and this is some of the stuff I can start to grill, now that it's pretty much Spring!....(and yes, I do grill my pizzas, on occasion)....

One of the many things my neighbor has been giving me off a job he's doing here in Palos Verdes(he's a contractor)....

Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Dang, That burger looks really good right now. As for O rings go to Harbor Freight and in one of their isles they sell a plastic case with a whole bunch of different sizes for only like 10 buck just FYI
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM

first off sorry to hear about your foot glad to hear its healing, 2nd why is it every time I check out your thread I get hungry?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jason in tn
first off sorry to hear about your foot glad to hear its healing, 2nd why is it every time I check out your thread I get hungry?

agreed.

hiya Mark....glad you got your steering all figured out. you were gonna have massive arms....."The Chef Workout....keep turning to the right....."
Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 PM

That burger looked so good my mouth is watering. Got my supra afm installed great differance love the added throttle response and the way it looks when you pop the hood. Gota get some pics posted the weather has been horrable on this side of the us
Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 PM

forget the shake weight and kettle ball The Chef Steering Workout is the wave of the future, Get fit and tone arms while trying to avoid getting you or any one else injured. Great for speeds above 25mph . Gotta go get me a burger now thanks a lot Chef p.s. Sweet free work benches are always a plus and you can't beat $10 locking toolboxes

Last edited by 4runFreak; 03-10-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 PM

Hey Chief... What is that with the pizza? I forget the name...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM

Hey Guys!

First I wanted to ask, ....why is it, that when I sometimes try to hit that multi-quote thingy, it wont light up(doesn't work, period)? Just curious. Some times it works, others, not so much, haha.

So, I'll just say THANKS, to all ya'all! Yeah, I love cooking, to this day, and it's rare that one can say "MAN, I CAN'T WAIT TO WORK TODAY!" HAHAHAA!

I actually did wind up with some rotater cuff pain after all that hard steering, btw! hahaha. Seriously, that was getting OLD, FAST! Now, well, it's like butter, once again However, it's funny how quickly we forget what a PITA certain things were, and just take it for granted, ya know? hahaha. NOT THIS ONE, .....not having power steering SUX, and I will cherish every cushy turn of the wheel from now on!!! lol.

That burger is one I do very often for their guests, as they've all had it and literally beg them to have me make it on warm summer days/evenings, haha.

It's one that I call "The Surfin'-Cowboy Burger", lol. It's good beef, marinated in Worcestershire Sauce, ...a Roasted Garlic, Sauteed Shallots and Merlot reduction, then the patty is crusted in fresh toasted/Cracked Black Pepper and diced Jalepeno's that are grilled in(not too hot, just a lil kick!).... on top is VERY SWEET Red Onions, Lettuce, Home Grown Hot House Tomatoes, Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms, Applewood Bacon, Jarlsberg Swiss, Home Grown Reed Avocados, served on either Toasted Kaiser Roll/buns OR Kings Hawaiian Egg Buns.

My Grandsons first Bday party was REALLY great, too. My Older daughter made the Caterpillar Cup Cake and Cake .....cake! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-10-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 PM

yeah that burger looks great!...but I was talking about whats on the plate with the pizza?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by trdwssrs
Hey Chief... What is that with the pizza? I forget the name...
Hey TRD, ...that's an "Artichoke", ... it's actually a flower, and not a flower in the well known traditional sense, but a flower nonetheless, lol.(I think it's a "Composite Flower")The first known origins were in Sicily, Italy, .....but after working through Europe, the Mediterranean, etc.,...the CAPITAL of the Artichoke is now Castroville, CA, a lil town South of San Francisco(I think around 85% of all commercial artichokes in the world are grown there).

Not sure if you've ever been stuck by one, but they have a NASTY thorn on the tip of each petal... I've been stuck by many, lol. You can Steam em, Grill em, Roast em, Boil em, Poach em, pickle em, ...whatever's clever, ya know? lol. BY FAR one of my favorite foods!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey TRD, ...that's an "Artichoke", ... it's actually a flower, and not a flower in the well known traditional sense, but a flower nonetheless, lol.(I think it's a "Composite Flower")The first known origins were in Sicily, Italy, .....but after working through Europe, the Mediterranean, etc.,...the CAPITAL of the Artichoke is now Castroville, CA, a lil town South of San Francisco(I think around 85% of all commercial artichokes in the world are grown there).

Not sure if you've ever been stuck by one, but they have a NASTY thorn on the tip of each petal... I've been stuck by many, lol. You can Steam em, Grill em, Roast em, Boil em, Poach em, pickle em, ...whatever's clever, ya know? lol. BY FAR one of my favorite foods!
ok, so that is the flower from the plant. Gotcha. I have some bulbs (root) they kinda taste between an apple and carrot. I love them. Lever had that part before. I'm from the country...don't know bout all them fancy foods. looks like it be good grilled with some good ol' hickory or smoked with some local apple or pecan wood...

learn something new today..
http://home.howstuffworks.com/jerusalem-artichokes.htm

Last edited by trdwssrs; 03-10-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Hey man, I hear ya, .....but nothing 'exotic' bout this flower, lol. I understand, though, if you've not got a larger chain store around ya, ....might not have em. BUT, NOW, indeed, is the time to keep an eye out for em! You can get em year-round here, and since they're around 1$ a piece right now for Jumbo Artichokes, the grocery stores, even in the country, are more likely to have them at this time of the year. Best bet with the first cooking of one is to steam/boil it. I cut off the top(bout 1.5"), and stem, leaving around 1/4-1/2" of it, to aid in even/quicker cooking(they take around 1-1 and 1/2 hours to cook, properly. Once you cut the top off, coat it in lemon, to prevent oxidizing(browning), then put in medium/heavy salted water, add couple tbsp. of olive oil and cover, let em boil. When you can pull on the outer leaves with tongs(NOT tugging, just pull) and they come out FAIRLY easily, they're usually done. Pull it out, upsidedown to drain, then test with knife in the bottom(The Heart) for done-ness. Knife should go in and come out without resistance. The heart is the BEST part, in most opinions, and you just remove all the leaves(eating the meat off the ends, of course hahaha) and then pull all the "hair" off(It's really like the pestles of flowers)and what I do is dip the leaves and heart in good home made Mayo(Aioli, which is a Mayo blended with Roasted garlic ROOLS: lol)

Smoking can work, but they are PRETTY unique and heavy on their own natural flavors, as is..... and I personally wouldn't recommend smoking for them.(IT WOULD be good, and sure, one could do some that way, ....but they just taste so dang good, all on their own, ya know?)
Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 PM

OKKKKKKK, lol....

Not typing for the sake of jabberwalky'n! lol.... Seriously am curious about something.....

1. I CAN NOT, for the life of me, make this exhaust 'tick' go away. I have an LCE header, one collector gasket, CAT welded in, .....

2. Just put a new collector in again, torqued it down, REALLY snug, and within a few seconds it's ticking again. I'm almost CERTAIN it's at the collector, as I've now solved all my loose exhaust stud issues(new LCE studs in there again, with all new locking nuts, chased em well, they're all snug at 33#, positive, and not slipping). When I look underneath, I can see the black smudge at the bottom(facing the ground) part of the collector, where the two pipe pieces connect.

3. Is it possible that they just didn't weld it at the proper angle, or do I need to use some special gasket to just shut it up once and for all???

I never opened my Remflex Kit(expanding gaskets only requiring 18# or torque or something like that).... not sure but I don't think it has a collector gasket in there. I'll check and write back. However, you know me, and I'm not a "Ahhhh, that'll do" kinda guy, so I would like to fix it "RIGHT, THE FIRST TIME", ya know? I'll probably take it to the place I had weld in the stuff, ....see if they can figure it out. Just wondered if any of you had dealt with this issue????

Thanks,

Mark

PS> I'll get pics and video so you can see, ....it's not CRAZY loud or anything, but it's very annoying, and it's only at lower RPM's that you can really hear it, ...You know, like AROUND TOWN! lol.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Duct tape!!!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:33 AM

BO! lol..... ok, that's funny, but c'mon, lol.

Trying to remember who it was who did the Remflex Gasket Set...who ordered it, ya know? I'll look back through here when i have time. Just curious if they had a collector gasket in it. Problem is, ....mine is 4 into 1, like many other headers, and the collector is pretty big, compared to the 4 into 2 with Factory exhaust, ....grrr, lol.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Gonna go open it and see, lol. Sorry, just that I've been typing from the kitchen for 2 days on the laptop, ....they've got guests again, for 3 days, and they're 'FOODIES', .....so trust me, it's HIGHHHHHHHH maintenance! lol. Fun, but lottsa-'GO-GO-GO' involved, lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread