86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
one thing I would add, the dryer from techchoice is made in china and probably fine but the Toyota OEM runs $32 for my rig on toyotapartscheap.com, I would be curious to see if it is any better.... my guess would be yes... worth a look
Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
I really hate messing with AC stuff...
Yeah, it looks a lil intimidating, but then,.... I've said that about many of the messy systems I've had to deal with, and they ended up being fairly straight forward, ....just some more of a bear than others, ya know? lol.

I think I'd like to be SURE that it's sealed, well, before I attempt either method(especiallyyyyyy the R12 path). Gonna check around and see if an acquaintance who runs an AC/Electrical shop would charge me to fully test the (EVAPORATOR! that's the word, lol), Condensor, Compressor, leaks, etc.). My neighbor most likely would have all the goodies to test MOST of it, and his friend is the AC guy, ...so I'll ask the Neighbor, first, if he can help me. Don't wanna fill up like so many I know with 134A and keep adding a can a month. NO THANKS, and I've heard R12 is MUCH MORE effective! Well, "More effective", not sure about much, lol.

You have AC issues, lumpy?

EDIT; THANKS, AA! how you been, buddy? I'll read up on that when I get done with Lunch Prep and, well, I'll probably hit you up on a couple things, k? hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-02-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by aa1911
the cannister with the little window is your accumulator/drier unit, it's the 'filter' in the system; they're cheap and should be replaced, took only a couple minutes to swap out on mine.

SWEET, yes, I'll do that, as mine has 260K on it, lol.

I paid $175 for my whole system to be captured/dried and then dried/cleaned/flushed whaterver and refilled; I guess Harbor frieght has a vacuum unit that will do all that for about $200, next time I won't be using the shop!

Well, my system is empty, completely, of charge. However, I know there's still oil in there, etc. I guess they could flush out the old oil and other muck and dry it out while doing that, ....while checking for leaks thereafter, right?

I got a pack of new o rings for the whole AC system ($7) and replaced just the ones I was messing with to swap out the compressor/drier units and even after 12 years of age the old ones were still perfect!

Mine look really good, but I've not done the Drier yet. I have a full kit of 0-rings and oil from Napa, with the connectors for the High & Low sides. I guess I'll change all of them, why not, right? Maybe check into the dealer for all of them(can't be more than 12 or so, right?), just to feel 'BETTER', lol.

from the advice I got doing mine recently, if you have the system apart, replace the accumulator/drier, any O-rings you mess with and the expansion valve. (and compressor if the clutch is bad). I didn't do the Exp valve on mine as the system was fine and still blowing perfect cold air and I guess it's a PITA to get to... IF you do need parts, check these guys out first:

Not sure if my expansion valve is bad, ...but when it DID have a charge, it switched on and the clutch worked fine. The clutch is running free, right now, because the system is empty. Not sure how to check for that. I guess I wouldn't mess with it if I'm not doing the clutch/replacing compressor, right?

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/

I was blown away with the price/quality of these guys on their stuff. I got a complete compressor/clutch assembly w/oil and drier and complete O-ring pack for $207 to my door. the only issue I had was that the pulley on the new unit was 1/2" bigger diameter and had to buy a different size belt but no big deal.

Thanks for the link, buddy...... I'll check with my site, dealerdirectparts.com and see what they want for the drier, sound cheap, I'd rather go OEM with anything I can(of course, not the compressor, as it's what, 850,000$? lol. jk.....not really, haha)

hopefully you don't need any parts though, if it's just a leak it might be a lot cheaper! Hopefully my recent AC experience can help you out at least a little... I'm also r134a not R12...

Thank you, VERY much, AA! I hope you don't mind me hitting you up on some specifics when I do attack this? lol.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 AM

PS> Did you pull your schraders to put on the new 134A connectors for the High/Low thingy's on the compressor? Or, did your new compressor come ready to go?

PSS> I think I might have to do the bearing on my AC-Idler pulley... grrrr, lol. Wasn't too much of a pain on the steering one, no biggie. It's making a lil "shhh shhh shh shh-......short Pause..............shh shh shh shh" noise, I'm pretty sure. I'll listen in better and report back.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Na...the truck doesn't have it and the 4Runner it works ok but it'll be taken apart for an OBA system.

I have messed with it years ago on my folks van. Had a small leak and just was miserable to find.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Good luck on the A/C somewhat out of my league, although I know how it all works as far as the refrigeration cycle as that was drilled into my head while in the military. But a 500,000 BTU air conditioner is far from an auto A/C system. lol.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Yeah, that's a serious system you were dealing with! haha. I think I'll get it no problem. At least in this case, if my Compressor/clutch is ok, I shouldn't get raped too badly on the rest as I fix her up.

I bought the truck in 2002, 100K, and the AC didn't work. Around 200K, I had it filled by a good guy, and it was ICE COLD with R12 for a while. But, it was pretty cool over the next couple years, and I didn't drive it much, so I never bothered with it, and THEN, there was also that heater gate(the thing I just figured out AFTER flushing my core, hahaha)...... So, it's possible that it was NEVER empty, ...I just didn't have the gate switched over like I thought I did. However, I think that's unlikely, as when I pulled out the cable inside the engine bay, the heat would go away but it never would blow COLD air. Hmmmmm, .....you know, I might not have a leak at all, maybe it WAS just that the door was stuck in the middle, allowing some heat in too, and making it seem neither cold nor hot when I wanted it. And of course, ....I, IN MY INFINITE AC SYSTEM WISDOM, emptied it out by taking it apart, hahahaha.

I think it would be best to have it tested for leaks, first, ....then, if none appear, I can replace the drier(since it's been either empty or not running for so many years) and fill'r'up with R12(Thanks Poland! )

Whatcha all think is my best method, knowing where I'm at?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 PM

PLEASE, LISTEN;

For anyone who has my email(or is on my email contacts), ignore any emails you got from me today at 6:50AM or so, PST> .......Somehow, for the first time, someone hacked my email. They sent out to every contact a male pill email, and the other one was something computer related. ONE PERSON of 438 Contacts got hit by the virus(luckily caught it, lol).... guess who it was, considering my incredible bouts with Murphy's law? MY EX! hahahaha. She called me, saying ,"OMGOSH, YOU SENT ME A VIRUS!" hahahahaha. Ok, I'll stop laughing, ....we're on good terms, lol. But still, WOW! I haven't sent an email in quite a while, and the only site I've been on, other than 4crawler and a couple others, is this one. Not saying it's yotatech related, at all. Just can't seem to figure out how they got in.

OH wellllllllllll, lol. Just a friendly warning, and now, back to our regularly scheduled "LET'S GET FRIGID--A Journey into AC!" series! haha.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM

hmmm Chef pimpin his pills again huh?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Hahaha..... I should of seen that coming, lol.

Hope I never need those things, and to be honest, i HATE taking any kind of pills.....especiallyyyyyyy ones that can seriously effect ones heart rate, etc. OH, and those countless references in movies and such to Priapism, .....yeah, that's not sounding like a good deal, either. "Hello, Mr. Hospital Admin.... I'm having an issue", ...."OHHHHHHH, here, meet Jerry, he'll take care of you with that GIANT needle, right over there!" hahahaha.

Oh, btw, yes, I've seen Little Fockers, lol. DISTURBING! lol.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:45 PM

haha I can hear the phone call now, the EX calls you tells you you gave her a virus because you were using those pills. :LOF:
Old 03-02-2011, 05:43 PM

:..... "Hey, Brandon, ....LOOK AT THAT!".... HAHA.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:44 PM

ok chef now put that away, I don;t need to see how well your pills are working for ya.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The a/c system 's worse enemy is air which contains moisture. if your system has been left open you may have some problems. The schraiders are very easy to remove screw in and out like a tire stem. you can have system filled with nitrogen to check for a leak a lot cheaper than refrigerant I would go r12 once system is leak proofed.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 AM

hahahaha, those stupid pill emails... my wife's account just got hacked with that, and tons of my friends over the last few months... pretty retarded, just change your password frequently and make it strong... still won't stop 'em but it will slow them down... the good thing is that they contain no subject and are super easy to spot/delete.

I'm not a computer geek but download 'CCleaner' and use it daily, it cleans all kinds of crap out of your computer including internet history, recycling bin and temporary files, it will save space on the computer and make it harder for someone to get certain info from your computer.

I'll help with what little I know from my one experience as best I can Chef... mine is a 2000 but the components are pretty much the same. I will be doing another AC redux on my 93 runner when I do my motor swap, yeah...

I didn't change any fittings or schraders out, I just cleaned all the connections I had to access and replaced O-rings there. Glad your compressor is working, an OEM compressor (by itself, no clutch or anything with it) was $400 from toyotapartscheap, I think it's like $5-600+ at the dealer!! insane....

Keep us posted Chef, hope she works out without too much pain!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
ok chef now put that away, I don;t need to see how well your pills are working for ya.
HAHAHA! Ok, done, lol. Thanks for the levity though, haha. I think I caught the bot fast enough,...I hope so, anyway! lol. I changed all my passwords, cleared all the cookies, etc., and well, we'll see.

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
The a/c system 's worse enemy is air which contains moisture. if your system has been left open you may have some problems. The schraiders are very easy to remove screw in and out like a tire stem. you can have system filled with nitrogen to check for a leak a lot cheaper than refrigerant I would go r12 once system is leak proofed.
Thanks, Mike. Yeah, it was open for a couple days in my garage when I was doing the timing cover. I've been speaking with AA on here and another ASE guy. AA said to replace the drier wouldn't be a bad idea, and not too expensive. I'm looking into that today. The ASE mechanic guy didn't mention that, I don't think(have to read back again), but I have read that the drier is one of the first things to give problems, including the seals thereon.

The ASE guy also said that vacuum testing it to 28"s is the easiest way to tell if it's leaking. If it looses more than 1" per 5Min., it's a problem. Some of what I do would depend on whether I went with the 134A kit with stop leak and oil, etc., which for one, he said, "The oils for the 2 are NOT compatible." And two, "the leak DETECTOR stuff will reveal itself as a green slime from the seams." Maybe AA said that too, I'll just have to read back.

I'd prefer to do the R12, as most every Professional I've spoken with has said "It's easier on the system and it's able to produce a 'just plain colder' system." Maybe that the charge lasted longer, too? I'll have more precise and definitive documenting going on, eventually. lol.

EDIT: Hey AA! Yeah, you're the guy I'm speaking of! haha. Don't mean to be impersonal, but MANY peeps on here don't want their personal name tramped around, lol. I guess Mark is a common enough name I just don't care, lol. Anyway, thanks for the input, thus far, and I WILL be double checking to be SURE that I need to even change the schraders, etc. The only 2 hoses I opened up were the ones that go to the side of the compressor/top too, and those o-rings looks really good, felt nice and soft. I guess it'll be best to just change them, and I've learned the hard way on enough to be honest! lol.

Alright, I'll be checking in when I find out if my neighbor can vacuum test my system. (Maybe I can listen for leaks? Sucking air in?)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-03-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 PM

No worries, my name is Aaron but I've been called a lot worse, hahaha... most call me AA anyway...

After seeing the inside of my AC system, I was super impressed with how clean it was, I think the key is (as said earlier by someone) is to keep moisture/dirt out like it's kryptonite.... that being said, I think the big ticket is to 'dry/flush' the system just prior to charging with refrigerant and you should be good. I know a lot of dudes on here seem to want to switch to the 134 stuff but I guess it's quite an endevour and the R12 is not bad, just bad for the ozone... gotta find that leak first though.... sounds like you have some good experienced help at your fingertips!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chef sounds like you are on track . I would put system in vacuum and make sure no leaks
Then change drier and vacuum system down ( this will boil off moisture) give it some time add a charge of oil and the rest r12 and you should be chillin!
I do not think you will hear a leak most leaks are where system was compromised the lines you took off or compressor shaft seal a leak usually will leave a trace of oil, usually bottom sides of hoses

Last edited by mfwimg82; 03-04-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PLEASE, LISTEN;

For anyone who has my email(or is on my email contacts), ignore any emails you got from me today at 6:50AM or so, PST> .......Somehow, for the first time, someone hacked my email. They sent out to every contact a male pill email, and the other one was something computer related. ONE PERSON of 438 Contacts got hit by the virus(luckily caught it, lol).... guess who it was, considering my incredible bouts with Murphy's law? MY EX! hahahaha. She called me, saying ,"OMGOSH, YOU SENT ME A VIRUS!" hahahahaha. Ok, I'll stop laughing, ....we're on good terms, lol. But still, WOW! I haven't sent an email in quite a while, and the only site I've been on, other than 4crawler and a couple others, is this one. Not saying it's yotatech related, at all. Just can't seem to figure out how they got in.

OH wellllllllllll, lol. Just a friendly warning, and now, back to our regularly scheduled "LET'S GET FRIGID--A Journey into AC!" series! haha.
Psh...Chef, we know you had to send out those e-mails to get you a free bottle of man pills.

Haha jk man...That sucks...
It has actually happened to my boss, and a customer of mine at the marina in the past month...So they're getting everyone.
And does a part of you wish she would of got that virus? haha

Check out my build thread, lots of bad mumbo jumbo going on right now
Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by aa1911
No worries, my name is Aaron but I've been called a lot worse, hahaha... most call me AA anyway...

After seeing the inside of my AC system, I was super impressed with how clean it was, I think the key is (as said earlier by someone) is to keep moisture/dirt out like it's kryptonite.... that being said, I think the big ticket is to 'dry/flush' the system just prior to charging with refrigerant and you should be good. I know a lot of dudes on here seem to want to switch to the 134 stuff but I guess it's quite an endevour and the R12 is not bad, just bad for the ozone... gotta find that leak first though.... sounds like you have some good experienced help at your fingertips!
Oh yeah, Aaron, I knew your name,....just try to avoid spreading it around unless those specific people don't care. Oh, there's another Aaron that's a great guy on here, btw, ..... haven't seen him in a lil while, but he'd stop in if he could help, I'm sure. MightyMouse, ....also Aaron, .....but anywayyyyyy, lol... I hear ya on the rest, and I do wanna do R12 if I can. First wanna just change out the shcraders, just for the heck of it. Can't hurt, and how much could they be, right? lol. Then I'll go from there. My bosses have family visiting from Alaska, so I've been VERY busy catering to their needs, etc. Very cool people, actually, but just no time to get on here, much, ya know? Thanks for the input and encouragement, A-Rod! lol.

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
chef sounds like you are on track . I would put system in vacuum and make sure no leaks
Then change drier and vacuum system down ( this will boil off moisture) give it some time add a charge of oil and the rest r12 and you should be chillin!
I do not think you will hear a leak most leaks are where system was compromised the lines you took off or compressor shaft seal a leak usually will leave a trace of oil, usually bottom sides of hoses
Yeah, that's the thing, couldn't find any oil or residue when messing around in there. Not on the hoses, surrounding, etc. Could just be the drier is messed up and leaking, haven't got over to that yet. Gonna have to order it soon. If my compressor is good, once I get the leaks all figured(if any), I can plan on the R12 charge lasting quite a while, ya know? Plus, I get it for 15$ a pound, so not a huge cost.

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Psh...Chef, we know you had to send out those e-mails to get you a free bottle of man pills.

Haha jk man...That sucks...
It has actually happened to my boss, and a customer of mine at the marina in the past month...So they're getting everyone.
And does a part of you wish she would of got that virus? haha

Check out my build thread, lots of bad mumbo jumbo going on right now
hahaha, ....hey, c'mon now! lol. I know, I opened the door for that, was just trying to warn my peeps! oh well, lol. haha.

Wow, drama? Oh boy, I'll check over there, just been really busy, Bo, sorry man.

Tty'all soon!

Mark

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread