86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
HEY GUYS.... Update(Kinda);

I find it strange saying, "Out with the New, in with the Old", ...but I guess that's what happened here, eh?

Long and short of it; The OEM Yard Pump is in, it's setting up with the Toyota Thread Sealant, and tomorrow, I'll bleed it as best as I can and give it a try.

Can't know for sure if it'll work out, but as long as it's NO WORSE, I'd much rather have this OEM pump in here, ya know?

THANK YOU, ALL, SO MUCH, for lending whatever 'cents' ya had in your pocket at the time, ......very grateful! It doesn't always answer things, but it ALWAYS keeps me at it, ya know?

I'll check in tomorrow,

Mark
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Zach,.... yeah, ME 2! HAHAHA.

Erix, ..... not sure whatcha mean on the 1200$ thing? Maybe you read the first couple posts of this thread? Which was 62 Pages and 1,539 Posts ago, hehe... Not makin fun, but that's about all I can guess. And, in all actuality, it ended up NOT being such a great deal for me, as I had to tear the motor apart(half way down), around 4 times, including replacing a CAM, re-removing the timing cover and basically, spending a few hundred hours chasing my tail along with these fellas! lol. But, I met MANY good people on here, learned 10 TIMES what I ever would have, would everything have gone 'A-OK', and so, I just look at it as though I gained through a pretty decent loss, lol.
Not only have you learned, but I have learned by watchin this thread over time. Its brought to light some stuff that I can keep in my knowledge bank for future refrence.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM

Well, that's just FANTASTIC, ZACH! Thanks alot, man,.....helps to have encouragement from time to time, and I really DO, HONESTLY, want it to help someone. I will have to pick through here and my troubleshooting thread one day and make a "22RE YELP BLOG" or something, ya know? lol. With some of these "ISSUES", it turns out being pages of trying to dig for solutions/causes. I HONESTLY don't mean to just drag things out, trust me! hahaha.

I'll be stepping out to bleed and try that pump out shortly, guys.... Well, shortly could be a few hours, but TODAY, for sure! hahaha. I'll fill ya'all in asap, ...and again, thanks alot for all who have even just lent a "Sorry man, no clue", ....just helps to have this place to stop in day by day and know that yer checkin in to see if you can throw a nugget of knowledge my way! hahaha.

PS> I have some vibration in what I believe is the connection from the muffler to the pipe between the cat and muffler....Any idea what I should pay for that? 20$ maybe? )
Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
for the vibration: is your exhaust welded or flanged?

and good luck with the steering pump. hope it works. and just fyi, there's a guy on pirate selling a ps box for $100 (although not too sure about an ifs steering box off of an 84)

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958845
Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Hey Ian, sup bud? Thanks on the well wish'n! Either way, it will eventually work out, but like I said, ....MUCH RATHER have an OEM pump, even if "THE PUMP" is not the answer, ya know?

Ok, well, to answer your question; it's welded, front to back(other than the collector of course, haha). The place who did the recent work, Supreme Muffler in Lomita, CA(GREAT guys!), did a fantastic job, ....but the muffler was already welded to the pipe between the CAT and Muffler(didn't need replacing). <<Well, it obviously did, but the vibration didn't show up till about a month ago. I'm going to dig a lil further, because I'm not sure it's not the plating in my Borla rattling, or, if it's the weld. Come to think of it.... it doesn't seem that the weld is severed all the way around, ...so how would it vibrate?

BTW, the CAT, and everything else from LCE Header to Tailpipe, OTHER than the Muffler, is under a year old. The Muffler? hmmmm, 7 Years?

Edit, ....maybe once it's doing it(doesn't seem to do it unless it's been running a while, warmed up GOODnHOT)...once it's doing it, I could push up with something heat resistant on the pipe, alone, and see if it goes away. It's DEFINITELY right there at the area of the weld where the pipe behind the CAT welds to the Muffler.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-22-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
then i don't think it should cost too much. less than $50 for sure, $20 sounds good to me. i have flanges, so i can tell you how to fix those... haha. but not too sure about the welds. i'd just let the runner idle in the morning and look for leaks (where you see water vapor after leaving it sit)

my two cents, anyway
Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
then i don't think it should cost too much. less than $50 for sure, $20 sounds good to me. i have flanges, so i can tell you how to fix those... haha. but not too sure about the welds. i'd just let the runner idle in the morning and look for leaks (where you see water vapor after leaving it sit)

my two cents, anyway
Ahhh, yes, .....good idea!(another 2cents worth literally 20$! lol).

Yeah, I'll definitely try that. I might not 'HEAR' it, but could possibly see it. I'll take a light back there and have a look-see.

Also, to be clear, ...the area I think I hear the noise?>>> I'll get pics, it'll be easier than explaining incoherently! hahaha... Get some pics when I do the steering. Finishing up cleaning, then on to the Truck.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Well, that's just FANTASTIC, ZACH! Thanks alot, man,.....helps to have encouragement from time to time, and I really DO, HONESTLY, want it to help someone. I will have to pick through here and my troubleshooting thread one day and make a "22RE YELP BLOG" or something, ya know? lol. With some of these "ISSUES", it turns out being pages of trying to dig for solutions/causes. I HONESTLY don't mean to just drag things out, trust me! hahaha.

I'll be stepping out to bleed and try that pump out shortly, guys.... Well, shortly could be a few hours, but TODAY, for sure! hahaha. I'll fill ya'all in asap, ...and again, thanks alot for all who have even just lent a "Sorry man, no clue", ....just helps to have this place to stop in day by day and know that yer checkin in to see if you can throw a nugget of knowledge my way! hahaha.

PS> I have some vibration in what I believe is the connection from the muffler to the pipe between the cat and muffler....Any idea what I should pay for that? 20$ maybe? )
A 22R/RE blog or thread would be awesome. It would help out tons with some questions and wonders that I have with my engine. I know how ya feel about not tryin to drag it out. I have been workin on the motor in my truck for almost 90 days now. Once I fix one thing another goes wrong.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
You'll be able to feel the exhaust leak as well...Just try not to touch the pipe. I think you already know what that can do to ya. How's the leg, all better??
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM

I hear ya, Zach, ....and I want to, just haven't had the time just yet. But, I have SO MANY good pics and videos, like on my Zuk Mod Thread, ....for top end, EFI diagnosis, IGN diagnosis, etc., etc., lol. Just HAVE to MAKE myself get on it one of these days. HECK, if my rig would just BEHAVE, I could! hahaha.

\
Originally Posted by Lumpy
You'll be able to feel the exhaust leak as well...Just try not to touch the pipe. I think you already know what that can do to ya. How's the leg, all better??
Yeah, and actually, in one of the recent videos, explaining some steering stuff, I said, "Oh, yes, btw, that's a burn from the header on my flip you off finger! great, eh?" lol. So, that's just nowwwwww healing up, and the leg is fine. that never really hurt bad, the leg, .....other than the first 24hrs. But MAN, at 600* or dang near....being a Chef, I know you don't even really have to TOUCH something to get burned, lol. I had an oven that was 1200 Degrees, Iron Wood Burning with a rotating slate of stone. Trust me, you even put your hand in there for a split second,.... ALL the hair is gone and, well, usually you'll have INSTANT BLISTERVILLE! lol.

Ok, I'ma head out there and finish this up, bleed, etc., hopefully having a solution, and if not, then on to the next WHAT----EVERRRRRRRR! lol.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Well, for those who don't have sound or video enabled work environments, hehehe....

The OEM pump I got yesterday DID NOT solve the problem. Started out a bit easier, just like the others when cold.... then progressively got worse/same.

It's less noisy, from what I can tell, than the other pump,....but, clearly not my problem. I guess I'll likely be the 11th customer in many years for my Yard guys accounts, lol. I'm really curious as to whether or not I have linkage issues, but not being a steering professional, I'm not sure what else it could be but either that, or obviously, the Steering Box. I still think my air valve on there is not opening up, but I can't see how that would stop power steering, even when I give it gas, simulating idle up apparatus...UNLESS it's supposed to let off BUILT UP pressure, and it's not, I have no clue on that, ....well, other than "IT IS NOT idling up when I turn".

Anyway, here's some videos, second one is of yet another mystery, .....WHAT ATE MY ORANGE? lol.....

Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Wish I had something for you. I was sure hoping that pump was the problem. You did eliminate the new steering stabilizer right? I thought you had, maybe I should read back. As far as the vacuum thingy goes I have nothing. Did you hook it up to a vacuum pump to see if it will hold pressure? I have a mighty vac that works great for that stuff.
I do have a mighty vac, actually... Close out at Pep Boys, 10$~! lol. SCORRRRRRRRE, haha.

Yeah, on the Stabilizer, ....I disconnected it and put the truck on the ground, turned, ....no difference... PRETTY SURE, as I said, lol. The only thing is, on the testing the valve on the pump with vacuum; I don't know the rating of pressure where that valve is supposed to open. Soooo, I'm worried that, in trying to get it to open, I could blow it up, lol. I know the steering is under TREMENDOUS pressure, if I remember right. So i just thought, i guess(<<< key word! haha), that by NOT opening, it may not be allowing any pressure to escape, thus, a possible explanation for why my steering, over a couple minutes, becomes SO STIFF! I'll update my thread, but actually, in all honesty? The OEM pump, while I'm sure it's probably fine, is even stiffer on the steering. Soooo, either whatever is wrong is getting progressively worse, or, it's just not putting out the pressure of the O'Reilly one, lol. Wouldn't that be funny, eh? lol. He offered me a Credit for it, so if I wanted, I could return IT, get the box for 75$, install it back in with the O'Reilly pump... but I just think the OEM stuff is better. I'm going to try some things, tests, tonight, then check again, because it looks as if the OEM pump might have a leak at the Body/Body Gasket Joint. I made such a mess the other day, I can't be sure on that yet. hahaha. What I am PRETTY sure of, Rob, is that when I look up into the Gear, with a light(above the pitman arm knuckle, gear side...not the Centerlink side), it appears to be moist. I can't see how fluid, no matter how much I spilled all over, wound up IN the Gear Box Shaft that points up and down(it's recessed up in there, ....that's why I can't see anti-gravity going on, ya know? lol). So, maybe it is, indeed, leaking(one of my tests, ...I cleaned up the box with Brake Cleaner just now). I guess, if you just look at my threads, I shouldn't be surprised by INSANE coincidences anymore, EHHHH? HAHAHA.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
i suppose it's time to try a different box?
and for what's it's worth, just sayin, i have my vsv for steering idle up completely removed, its plugged at the plenum, and the two ports on the thing on the pump are connected together, and even when it was running like crap because of previous issues, idling @ 600, never had a hint of "hard" steering. not trying to tell you to do what i did, or really suggesting anything, just throwing that out there ha ha ha.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
did some searching on pirate, and seems that they say this type of thing can happen if you used power steering fluid instead of atf, which is more like toyota factory stuff.....and most of these guys are saying you have to bleed it, by cracking a return hose or from that center adjusting bolt on the top with the lock nut on it, and then turning lock to lock a few times.

Last edited by de6w6it; 02-23-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 AM

wow mark I am so sorry I havent been able to check in here. sounds like you have the pump part took care of maybe or at least on oem pump. as for the box I still have it it came off the 88 that I bought for part awhile back, planed on on trying to use it on a unrelated progect if I ever get to it. my only concern is I know nothing about it other than the runner it came off of was wrecked realy hard in the front. I would hate for you to go through all the work and be worse off ya know but if you wana try it I will get it shiped your way if it works for ya then we can work somthing out. I p.m. you my cell num just let me know again man sorry about the long responce time.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Hey guys, thanks for stopping in...

WHAT A CRAPPY ARSE DAY! lol.

1st, I went to this expert up in Gardena(bout 30 min away) and he said, "REALLY rare for the box to go out. But, if this is the 4th pump, I guess try to clean out the reservoir, first, as they can clog up in the screen.... then, if that's not the culprit, I guess the box is only other thing I can suggest. ... especially since you don't seem to have good circulation. The vacuum has nothing to do with hard steering. This thing puts out HUNDREDS of pounds pressure, and if that valve did try to stick, it would be blown to pieces. So, best of luck with the box."

2nd, went to Wilmington, CA, another 30 Min. the other way, got the box, then on my way home, a train broke down and I was stuck for almost 2 HOURS, along with thousands of other people.

3rd, and the one I could really use some insight(maybe someone looking into it for me?).... I have a haynes, and it's not totally vague, but then I went to Kragen to get a puller for the Pitman to Relay rod STUCK-MESS, ...and the Chiltons was sitting on the bench..... it says DIFFERENT instructions for removing the gear. The Chiltons says to unbolt the Yolk/u-joint thing, ...the Haynes says "Refer to 10A, 2WD for the 86 and up 4WD Box Removal. In that, it DOES NOT say to remove the U-joints from each other, ....rather, it just says to mark the yolk-to-gear shaft with paint pen, before removing the bolt that holds the whole mess to the box worm shaft. WHAT THE HELL, MAN?

I could really use some insight as to THE ABSOLUTE POSITIVELY CORRECT way to do this! PLEASE? lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:27 PM

Ok, .... well, anywayyyyyyyy, lol....

The Box is in, hopefully correctly and wont leak, etc. Of course, I couldn't get to the evening without having another catastrophe, hahaha. Spilled almost a quart of Steering Fluid on the floor.... yeah, I know, haha.

But again, it's in, and nowwwwwwwww, granting it's in right and I have no issues with it, ... I'd like to toss a question out there for batting around. PLEASE, share what you've heard, etc.

WHAT FRIGGEN FLUID GOES IN THIS STEERING SYSTEM?

1. ATF?

2. REGULAR OLD STEERING FLUID?

3. DEXTRON?

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT? HAHAHA. Seriously, I don't want to use the wrong thing, but I'm going to do my own research and call that Toyota Guru who called the "CAM" diagnosis, before anyone,..... see what he says. Any ideas?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 PM

ATF. Thats what I been usin. Its what the Haynes manual said to use.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM

chef, in my FSM it says ATF DEXRON or DEXRON II for the power steering fluid
Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM

WOOT, ...answers! lol. REALLY, IN THE HAYNES? Dang, now I'm really gonna slap myself, haha. BUT, I am REALLY tired, so, I'll let this one slide.

Ok, ATF,any particular brand that's really good? And; Why "Dexron ORRRRRR Dexron 2"... are they for different age systems? Dang, now I'ma have to go back out to that STANK ARSE Steering Fluid Garage and get me that book! hahaha.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread