86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Brandon, Thanks,

Yeah, I think The Vacuum Unit on the Pump HAS to plug into the same Idle up valve that it shares with the AC......because there is no other place, that I can remember, where a vacuum hose of that size plugs in. It's a bit larger than the majority of those throughout the system... In fact, I think they're the only two that size throughout.

Anyway, I have a huge party tomorrow that I'll be prepping for tonight till later.... then they pick up the food at around 10:45AM.....which means I'll be up at 4am to start the rest of it that can't be done ahead(most of it! hahaha). Sooooooooo, I'm not sure I'll get to the steering stabilizer test till later afternoon tomorrow, if at all. But, I'm still curious, .....IF that valve on the pump is not opening, could it cause the pump to back up with pressure or something? Sorry if you already explained that, Brandon, anyone else.... I'm just a bit overwhelmed with info at the moment! hahaha.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Hey Guys, did some videos.... I've not really figured anything out since doing them, yesterday, .....just been busy. I'll gladly test/try/do anything that's suggested. Thanks in advance, TURN TO SOUND TO MIDDLE ON VOLUME IN VIDEO BOX...? LOL.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-17-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the problem is that I don't have a recipe for the Mac and Cheese

try it with your old steering stabalizer

Last edited by Outsane; 02-17-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Hahahaha, HEY, no problem, man. I'll send it to ya, if you'd like, but it's pretty much a "Yeah, gimme this, this, that and this, ...I'll pour/grate/grind/add to taste, bub" type recipe! hahaha. Nah, not initially when I started around 25 yrs. ago, ...but it's been in my family for over 125 years, and I've mod'd it a bit, but not much. The key is GOOD CHEESE, heavy cream and or at least half and half, good butter, good flour, good noodles, good/fresh/toasted and freshly shaved nutmeg and peppercorns and cayenne peppers, GOOD panko brd crumbs, ....oh yeah, did I say, GOOOOOOOOD, VERY SHARP CHEDDAR and Parmesano Reggiano, and I usually use a LIL alternate whites, including Fontina, Mozzarella or Comte.... Seriously, Outsane,...IT'S MADNESS! lol. In fact, that's what I named it in the Scottsdale, AZ resort and couple restaurants I was running... "Marcus' Mac'n'Cheese Madness!" I sometimes do it, slightly altered, with Lobster and Scallops, sometimes with Good Black Forest Ham, other times with Spinach/Mushrooms and Vidalia Onions along with GOOD Bacon, .... Or sometimes, as in this case,...just STRAIGHT UP MAC! lol. Other times I add home made bread/crumbs from day old baguettes, etc., etc., ....italian style, but ALWAYS with the Panko! Manditory! hahaha.

PS> BTW, each one of those half pans weigh around 12#! hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-17-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM

But seriously, ............

If anyone has any ideas other than what I'm going to try...

1. remove pass. side of stabilizer and hang out of the way

2. get on steep hill AND jack up, try bleeding with 20 times each way method, then on the ground as well.

?? any thoughts ??

I Spoke to a pretty decent suspension buddy of mine, yesterday, who said, "Hmmmmm, VERYYYYYYY rare for those boxes to go bad, ....especially if it's not leaking. I'd lean more toward ANOTHER bad pump, a very stubborn pocket of air(since I flushed it with about a quart of fluid, before then filling it again).....then, maybe the stabilizer is freezing up(yes, even new) and/or, something is suddenly tweaked in your linkage/binding. Kind of hard to figure out the latter in your garage, without removing the stabilizer and then testing several things...even then." Soooooo, that's what HE told me, hahaha.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So yeah put in the old stabilizer and see how she does

On the Mac send it on over, I am usually not a Mac and cheese guy but that looks damn good
Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Old Stabilizer is broken, I ran over it, hahaha. OOOPS!

Far as taking out the other, can't I just remove the pass. side end from the mount, maybe hang it with something that will allow it to travel but not into anything? Just don't want to damage it. The pump/box stuff is sounding pretty noisy, not GRINDING bad, just like it's 'struggling', ya know?

Just to remind everyone(or in case someone didn't see....) I had the old stabilizer hanging over by the driver front tire, had to move my truck back to let them out, "POP", ...the stabilizer(stock) that was already leaking pretty good, snapped, right at the union between the two parts. It didn't feel like it really hit anything hard, and it's like a tin can(not near as strong as the centerlink or ends)....but I guess I don't know if that hurt anything. But, it seemed to have issues before that happened, anyway, sooooooo, lol.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Chef.....I enjoyed watching the videos very much.....sorry you are having trouble, but the videos were neat to watch. (except I never heard MY name....hehehehe).

definitely does it when it's cold???? or just gets worse when warm?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Chef.....I enjoyed watching the videos very much.....sorry you are having trouble, but the videos were neat to watch. (except I never heard MY name....hehehehe).

definitely does it when it's cold???? or just gets worse when warm?
I've mentioned you, Buddy! lol... Just shouted out those that were pertinent in this one so I could answer those questions. I KNOW, you're kidding, lol...but don't wanna exclude.

So, YES, ...and no. lol.............>>

1. When it's cold, as in just started, it seems to do ok, turning to the right. Even just sitting still in the driveway. HOWEVER, I was in the garage there......and it's very shiny, hahaha. I think the tires turn easier than when on the gritty cement, ...but how much, ya know? It should work easier.

2. When fully warmed up, having driven around, ...then parking, ...sitting there in the lot, or trying to park, after a couple turns...IT GETS HARD to turn to the right. Honest, I'm fairly strong, and I have to use both hands to turn,...THAT'S NOT RIGHT, ...RIGHT? hahaha.

I have to take my niece to the Libarary, Tutor, .....then pick her up at 4:30PST, ...so I'll try to check out some stuff when I get back.

Thanks, JERRY, on the video's... glad you enjoyed em. I can't wait to get more Camping ones, etc., ...they're a bit more fun to watch, lol.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
nah Mark, it's all good. Only point I was raising was heat from the header. KIYOBROWN and BIG BLUE PILE had placed a remote thermometer under their hoods to keep track of temps. That's where my thoughts were going. Otherwise, the guys that know more than me have to answer these questions.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Those idle up valves won't cause power issues with the steering at all. I wouldn't worry too much about them as long as you idle doesn't suffer too much when using the steering or the a/c.

I no longer have manual steering. I converted over to power steering a while back. NO write up on it though as I didn't have a cam at the time. I do however have the old manual steering box sitting in a parts pile.

I have no idea how those steering gearboxes work internally, so I am not gonna be able to help ya out on that, other than maybe a bad steering box can make a pump go bad ????
Old 02-17-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
My ears were burning, I heard my name.

Chef, honestly the only thing I can think of is the resistance of the new stabilizer, since you said the new one is much harder to compress and compression is when you turn to the right.

And man, that thing has some giddy-ups for sure!

I'll have to do another video with my new motor. It pulls a lot better now with all the upgrades.

And now I am hungry for mac and cheese. "organic" noodles makes it healthy, right??
Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
[QUOTE]
I have a 2004, crew cab, 1500 Silverado LT, 4x4. The steering has always had a slight clunking when turning to the left but today it is very hard to turn to the right. It turns very easy to the left. I see no obstructions or looseness in the steering assembly when my wife turns the wheels. I checked the power steering level and it is full. The pump makes a slight noise when turned to the right but not to the left. Thank you

The power steering gear has a control valve that directs the fluid to the proper side of the piston inside for power steering assist. Your symptoms lead to a faulty control valve which is typically only serviced by replacing the entire steering gear.

The above info is the same wether you have a gear Box or rack and pinion unit.

Gm has a bulletin on the 670 gear box if yours is equipped, It is recommend to replace it with a 680 series.

While driving my jeep turns fine to the right but is hard to turn left. I just replaced the power steering pump but I got that off a buddy so it could be bad. I changed the steering box and it's still hard to turn left

like stated above, take a look under the dash, I have run some stero wires in that area in an old car of mine and they got fetched up when I would turn.

Could also be bad ball joints or bad axle joint.

Does this help a little?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:46 PM

Hey guys, thanks!

Well, Brandon, hmmmm, lot to consider with no way to verify, from what I know, hahaha. Under the dash again? OH NO! HAHAHA. Jk, seriously though, .... thanks. I guess what stood out was the 'STEERING BOX' point and the 'BAD AXLE JOINT'..... the latter, mainly, because this seemed to only be a problem after dropping the diff. I mean, the diff either goes back into place with all three bolts or it doesn't, am I wrong? Just curious if it might not be fully set into either hub?? Seems unlikely, and I have NO clunking, etc., other than when I hit a big speed bump and drop suddenly to full droop with the IFS(probably my ball joint, lower, driver side.)

I keep thinking back, and I'll have to read back, as I don't think I had this "easy left, hard right" issue until after both the diff lowering(for oil pan) and steering damper install(as well as the breaking of my old one) lol.....

Guess it's either air in the system that's totally trapped, OR, ....steer box is messed up or has a blocked passage(don't think my 87 has a control valve, does it?), OR, either the steering stabilizer is too stiff(and the Kragen pump is just too weak compared to OEM) orrrrrrr, something is tweaked in my linkage. Ahhhhhh, oy vey! hahaha. Can't say it's really the Kragen pump, as the first one, while it leaked, WORKED FINE! Grrrr, wishing I never pulled it and instead figured out the leak and fixed it! lol... Because, well, it seems this 'HARD, TURNING RIGHT' thing only came about after a couple things, along with TRYING TO FLUSH MY STEERING SYSTEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!<<<<<<<<>>>?????

Anyway, I'm just now back and I'll try to find time to do the steering damper test tonight, .....but tomorrow, I have to take in the work car(CRV) for smog check....so I wont get to it till afternoon 2mrw ,if I can't do it tonight.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mark just watched your last vids imo its still in the new stabilizer. one other thing I was sure CA had a no texting and driver law and I know they have a hands free law, Im quite sure there is somthing in there about useing a vidio camera and driveing lol just trien to keep ya out of trouble out there god knows I get in enough out that way haha
Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM

HAHAHA, ......if you watch the end of that video, where I'm driving for a couple minutes... RIGHT AT THE END, ....you'll hear me say something, "ooooooooooohboy" or something like that..... Try to pause it and see what's in front of me in traffic(hundred yards or so in that left turn lane)..... hahaha. Yep, Los Angeles County Sheriff! hahaha. I guess you're right, and a few chapters back in this, I used a thing to mount it to the dash, that way I didn't have to hold it.....(Like XXX's hook-up, lol).

Anywhoooooooo, thanks for the thoughts on what might be the issue. I STILL haven't had time to remove it and drive around(I'll probably just pull it down on the pass. side, turn it a few times in the driveway with the tapered pivot still installed, cuz it's not as easy to get in there). Getting ready to take their CRV in for smog.... shouldn't be a problem, the thing doesn't smoke, use oil or leak a drop after 90k.....but IT'S CALIFORNIA...YA NEVER KNOW, EH? lol. I think they're working on a mandate, that when imposed, we'll have to expel Cotton Candy flavored steam, only, from the tailpipe....or the vehicle will be impounded! hahaha.

TRUE: They(California Highway Patrol) even have machines all over THE STREETS, now, that, .....As you drive by, this machine takes your emissions in, and IF they're excessive, they pull you into this machined area with a mobile station, where they keep you for an hour, testing why you're so high in (WHATEVER), ....and then they investigate the shop where you got your smog check done. YES, I'M SERIOUS! Buddy had an improper Air Intake Set up, .....they gave him a FAT ticket! CHP, .....on the streets of L.A. County, and other counties, I'm sure!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea they do that over here in fresno too, they have a guy looking through some device and he tells the cop which cars too pull over, not sure what he sees through the thing but it sucks that they doo this. anything to get more money!! They should just do a pipe test where it doesnt matter what you do to you car or Truck as long as it passes the pipe test at the levels for the vehicle type. Most cars run cleaner with aftermarket stuff. anyways sorry to highjack. I would remove the stabilizer and try that.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Hey Cougar! Nice to see ya, ....yeah, don't sweat it, I hear ya! ....dang thieves! lol.

Far as the stabilizer, I STILL haven't had time to pull that. I did get the boss' CRV smogged today though ....Brownie Points! hahaha. Heck, after all the time I spent working on my car this last year.....LEAST I could do, ahhahaa.

Weird thing;

When pulling into Trader Joes, today, ..... I was parking, not even stopped(forward motion), and it became tough to turn, BOTH WAYS! WTH? Really stiff in both directions., .....then, as I parked, it seemed to ease up a lil.

Ok, I'll go out, now, and remove that thing and test it out. Raining pretty hard right now, but I can leave the cab portion in the garage and leave it running with the pipe outside, lol.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 PM

LATEST ON STEERING PROGNOSIS;

1.) There IS NO PROGNOSIS! hahaha

2.) I removed the stabilizer and tested it back and forth quite a bit;

.....a. Still felt resistance turning to the right, more than left.
.....b. Slightly less resistance than with the stabilizer attached, ....but I don't think it's the problem.
.....c. The Stabilizer is fairly stiff during compression....but NO MORE than during decompression!
.....d. I don't think the Stabilizer is the issue...>>>It's just stiffer because, well, it's meant to go along with the Nitro OME Sport Shocks and a lift(thus, they know it's going to see more jerking of the wheel out of the hands due to wheeling, so it's made to handle it.)

3.) I inspected every port(where fluid could possibly escape) on the Pump, itself....;

.....a. The Top feeding elbow/hose into the top of the pump(with the O-Ring, held down by one bolt) is not leaking, whatsoever.
.....b. The Idle-up/Pressure allowance Valve(screws into top of pump, two ports for vacuum on it) is not leaking any longer, whatsoever.
.....c. The Flanged Fitting on the side(pressure hose that goes in the side facing the driver side fender) is not leaking, whatsoever.
.....d. The Underside of the pump, when I place my hand there, is covered in fluid. OBVIOUSLY Steering fluid, as NO WAY IN HELL Oil could leak upward and onto the underside of the pump, seeing as where it is.

My Summary Diagnosis;

*** OBVIOUSLY, I'm guessing, as I'm not experienced in every single part of a pump, box, etc., ............ But I think that either,

(1.) The Pump is very slowly leaking fluid from the MAIN BODY SEAL, .....again, yes another one... or

(2.) They're all inferior crap and can't push these trucks steering needs... or

(3.) My Steering box, ONCE AGAIN, PURELY by coincidence of timing, etc., without a SINGLE LEAK, is taking a dump.... OR...

(4.) Something in my linkage, ONCE AGAIN, PURELY by coincidence, etc., without sustaining any damaging blows, etc., ...is binding up on me.... OR...

(5.) There is either a blob of crap trapped in one of the ports of the box, (caused by/after flushing it with about a quart of fluid as best as possible) OR there's a huge pocket of air in there that keeps moving around within the box, yet wont find it's way up and out into the pump again where it can escape. Therein, the air pocket is moving occasionally out of the way of it's obstruction, at times, but when sitting still, it finds it's way, SOMEHOW, to blocking the box from assisting me in turning right with more ease.(Keeping in mind, I actually had trouble turning left, as well as right, at one point today).

The strange thing with this one, guys, is that it's NOT CONSTANT, .....so it's really throwing me from one diagnosis to the next, then back again. Now that I've(FAIRLY certainly) ruled out the Stabilizer..... I'm not sure what else to think but either of those above options... and from there, I'm not sure what else I can do but get my money back for this pump and try another higher quality brand, etc., ..... which ISN'T A SURE THING!.... OR, take it in to an Alignment/Steering/Suspension specialist.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... I mean it, guys, I'm really just at my whits end at this point. ONE THING, AFTER ANOTHER, AFTER ANOTHER! hahahaha>>>(YES, THAT'S A LAUGH OF A MAN GOING INSANE! HAHAHA)<<<that one is not, hehe.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you said it's not constant, but is it consistent? meaning, that when it does happen, does it feel the same as the last time it happened?

if it feels different each time it happens, it's probably an obstruction or air pocket in the system. if it feels the same, it's probably a mechanical fault

that's my theory, anyway...

and one last thing: what has stayed the same throughout the whole issue? you've replaced so much, but what hasn't been?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread