86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
thing is with the air theory is that it was doing it with his old pump too. But maybe possibly the old pump since it was making weird noises happened to put air in the lines as well ??? If that's not possible then I would say it wasn't air in the line.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
thing is with the air theory is that it was doing it with his old pump too. But maybe possibly the old pump since it was making weird noises happened to put air in the lines as well ??? If that's not possible then I would say it wasn't air in the line.
I misunderstood I thought it just started with the new pump guess I need to read better.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys, just got back from serving dinner. Thanks for the input.

I'll try removing the stabilizer, tomorrow, but I did get under there and look around.... pretty sure I understand the workings of the steering links, steering arm, idler arm, center link, ends, etc., .....but I don't really see anything obviously bent or binding. Not sure how to test for that>>>???

Just curious if the couple bad pumps just might have caused my steering box to take a dump?????????? I didn't have this issue until I installed the stabilizer/broke the other one. It was working fine. Wish I had the old one just for a test stabilizer, lol.

I'll letcha'all know what happens when I remove the OME stab. and so forth.

PS> Just a side note..... When I had it up on stands, engine off, it seemed to turn both ways without any difficulty.... I'm concerned that's telling of problems in the power steering system! Oh geesh. Although, when it's up like that, everything in the linkage is hanging/extended, changing the angles and such, right?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry, I haven't been around too much the past few days...Seems like you can't catch a break can ya??

I wouldn't think it'll be the steering box causing this issue...possible a vac issue? I'm not real sure how the idle up vac stuff works on the pump. I know on mine it was working fine till I did the head last now the pump does not seem to assist as much as it did before I did the H/G and I know I have it hooked up correct.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Hey Lumpy,

Hmmmmm, ..... Just out of curiousity, why would you think it wouldn't be the steering box? PLEASE don't think I'm upset that it might not be! hahaha. Just curious.

Vacuum up valve on the Plenum or the other end of it with the two ports, on top of the Pump itself? The air valve on top of the pump, as I remember it, allows the valve on the plenum and the other port directly in the plenum itself just pull air, etc...... not exactly sure how that works, but I'd assume it pulls pressure out of the pump?

I'll have a chance to get out there, soon, and I'd love to have a checklist, guys, as I really don't know EXACTLY what might cause this. I'll try jacking it up as high as possible, just in case there might be some air in the rear,toward driver, in the steer box, try to pull the steering damper loose(IT AINT EASY to pull it out, completely--tapered end on the driver side-- ).... Not sure if there's a Vacuum or otherwise tests in the FSM, anyone know?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Hey chef On swimmers page you said there might be something else wrong with my engine since it is so slow. I know it burns oil but I loose so much power going up hills and this summer while I was in OBX I had to have in 4wheel Low just to drive around on the sand. It would bog down to if i didn't any thoughts?
thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Well, I will start with you in the way I should have, every time when this question comes up.... and it helped me too, MANY TIMES! Just look back through the earlier posts in my thread, you'll see a lot of ................

1. Checked compression(here's the numbers)
2. Checked Timing(it was.....)
3. Checked Fuel Pressure and replaced Filter(here's the pressure....)
4. Stethoscope on... (A, B, C, ... results)
5. Vacuum gauged (list items and results)
6. etc.....

Granted, such a loss of power could VERY WELL be a simply "tired motor".... But, if your compression tests fine(or at least acceptable), then you'd have to move on to the next likely culprit in the list(that depends on your symptoms...I.e.: does it miss? ....Does it stall?..... Are you getting lots of chatter in the front, bottom or top end?.... etc.)

Since you have very underpowered symptoms.... I'd usually suggest the easiest/cheapest things, first.

FIRST ONE being checking the compression, then;

1. Fuel filter new? (if not, how old is it?)
2. All the injectors firing?(listen with a long screwdriver, etc....BUT, you would have a bad miss if this was the case)
3. Check for BAD vacuum leaks.
4. How's the plugs, wires, cap and rotor?
5. PCV valve good?
6. Sprayed 50/50 Ether where Vacuum leaks might occur,...(VOILA! ..or, 'nuthin', lol)

Some of this stuff is basic maintenance, Bud.... and unless you have tools to test them all, you just have to be honest and take a look at the miles on them, ya know?(The 'recommended maintenance' section in the front of the books is not really that off in most cases...). Also, a factor I would need to know is, ...."IF, indeed, the compression is HORRIFIC, ....would you be ready and willing to tear her down and do a rebuild?(at least re-ring, have head serviced, etc.???) If so, then it can't hurt to have KNOWN good wires, Cap, Rotor, Plugs(DENSO-OEM, IMHO)....because you'll be rebuilding this motor, anyhow. If not, and you'd just sell it when it bites the bullet,...then why bother? All those lil things add up, quicklyyyyyyy! Trust me, bud! hahaha.

Best thing to do is to make a process of elimination(P.O.E.), and list everything you check, as you go, list your results, start a thread and LET THE YOTA'DOG'S LOOSE on it! lol. Make sure you post your thread in the "what I did to my truck today" thread, ok? YOU WILL get help. But, first, READ UP, search in the "search" section for "Low power", etc.,......then do the FREE TESTS, FIRST! Autozone, etc., will loan you a compression tester, vacuum gauge testing kit, etc., etc.

Best of luck, B-uddy! lol.

Mark

PS> DON'T GUESS.... make CERTAIN that you read tests, carefully, ask for advice if not sure, then post the results,.....and when you get responses, DOUBLE CHECK THEM for accuracy, ok?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Thanks chef.
I will start my P.O.E and keep reading on here.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 AM

Ok, guys, .....

I'm heading out to check some things in the steering, ...but I could really use some ideas.

1. Can I test the Vaccum Apparatus on top of the pump? (how do I know if IT is bad?)
2. Could it need an adjustment on the Idle up Valve ON the Plenum(the one the Steering and AC plug into?)
3. How can I properly test the linkage for kinks/faults/tweaking?

Thanks, and sorry for being what might seem like 'redundant'... but I honestly just don't know how to rule out this or that, just yet.

Mark
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm watching Mark, don't have ant good advise but I'm routing for you.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Rob, ....but , but, ..but, ....YOU'RE THE SUSPENSION GURU! hahaha....ok, I just made you that in my imagination! BUT YOU'RE LEARNING QUICKLY, RIGHT? hahaha. I guess many of my homies have lost much interest in this thread, most likely due to it's being SO FRIGGEN DEPRESSING! HAHAHA.

Any thoughts AT ALL? lol..... Disclaimer; "Not meant to pressure Rob into a guess-fest,..simply prying for info!" hahaha

Mark
Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Looking for a vacuum test in the book for that valve(both of them, Plenum and top of Pump, actually, lol)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I guess I'm steering away from the box because I (myself) have never had one go on me. I have been through quite a few different vehicles of may makes a models and none of which were new. I know they can go bad but I just have never know them too.

With that said, I now that I recall I think mine was replaced by the P/O at some point in time. I vaguely recall seeing yellow wax marker on something on the drivers side, front, by the rad, could be the box. Hmmmmmm Well I know I didn't replace it.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM

the valve just raises idle so it dose not stall in a tight turn you can run with out it
Old 02-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Thanks Lumpy, Mike!

Ok, well, I didn't remove the stabilizer yet, haven't had time, been running around. I did, however, do some videos(I'll load them later, when I have the camera back from their grandson! hahaha).

I drove around a bit and I noticed a couple things.

1. Once the truck is in forward motion, the turning becomes much easier at even a couple miles an hour. HOWEVER, when at a total stop, even when I give it fairly decent gas(1500-2000 rpm), it's still very difficult to turn to the right.

2. When I start it, cold(I'll check when warm, too),.....at first, it seems to turn fairly easily to the right(never as easily as compared to the left). After warming up a bit(or maybe just after running for a short time, cold or hot), it seems to get more and more difficult while at a stop.

Not sure if this is telling of anything, or how to check my steer box, yet. Trying to jump on here and there online and find some info... Sure seems noisier in the steering area than before. Just so you guys know, too... I never drove around w/out fluid in the box, etc. Even when that last pump totally failed me, it was still full of fluid, ya know?

Mark

PS> Thanks Mike, ....what I'm wondering on that is, .....what EXACTLY does that vacuum valve unit on top of the pump do, ......anyone? I'm guessing it prevents a massive back flow of vacuum into the pump? It's really greasy below the housing and above the attached nut..... Not sure why, or if it matters. I seem to remember that unit on the pump is VERY expensive from the dealer. 200$? PROMISE, I'm not going to BUY, ANYTHING, just yet..... just want to narrow down what my problem might be, ...I'm grateful for any input.....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 PM

mark I dont see it be it being the vacume deal as said before that only ups the idle so it doesnt stall in a tight turn. Im going to go back in your thread and read up on this, I cant remember exactly when this started but its just somthing your over looking Im sure.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks Lumpy, Mike!

Ok, well, I didn't remove the stabilizer yet, haven't had time, been running around. I did, however, do some videos(I'll load them later, when I have the camera back from their grandson! hahaha).

I drove around a bit and I noticed a couple things.

1. Once the truck is in forward motion, the turning becomes much easier at even a couple miles an hour. HOWEVER, when at a total stop, even when I give it fairly decent gas(1500-2000 rpm), it's still very difficult to turn to the right.

2. When I start it, cold(I'll check when warm, too),.....at first, it seems to turn fairly easily to the right(never as easily as compared to the left). After warming up a bit(or maybe just after running for a short time, cold or hot), it seems to get more and more difficult while at a stop.

Not sure if this is telling of anything, or how to check my steer box, yet. Trying to jump on here and there online and find some info... Sure seems noisier in the steering area than before. Just so you guys know, too... I never drove around w/out fluid in the box, etc. Even when that last pump totally failed me, it was still full of fluid, ya know?

Mark

PS> Thanks Mike, ....what I'm wondering on that is, .....what EXACTLY does that vacuum valve unit on top of the pump do, ......anyone? I'm guessing it prevents a massive back flow of vacuum into the pump? It's really greasy below the housing and above the attached nut..... Not sure why, or if it matters. I seem to remember that unit on the pump is VERY expensive from the dealer. 200$? PROMISE, I'm not going to BUY, ANYTHING, just yet..... just want to narrow down what my problem might be, ...I'm grateful for any input.....
Hey Jason, .... just re-posting this, hoping to get some input ANDDDDDD, ...to maybe clarify one thing;

** The vacuum module I'm speaking of is not the adjustable screw "Vacuum Idle Up for Steering and AC" on the Plenum.... The one I'm speaking of is actually threaded right into the top of the pump. It looks like a lil drum with 2, 1" vacuum ports coming out of it.

Sorry if that's what you're referring too.... but I thought that was actually a combination of a filter/back flow preventative, .... similar but not really too much like the Brake Booster One Way Valve. To be honest, I'm really not perfectly clear on what it does,...other than allow vacuum to be pulled through 2 different ports, into the pump...but I thought it stopped back pressure from being allowed back in, something like the PCV....???
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM

I believe the way that works is it senses steering fluid pressure, thus opening its valve to allow air to bypass the throttle body allowing it to enter the intake manifold basically causing a controlled vacuum leak, which in turns ups your idle. I don't see how in anyway that will cause issues in one direction and not the other. And would not affect the steering operation whatsoever.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I believe the way that works is it senses steering fluid pressure, thus opening its valve to allow air to bypass the throttle body allowing it to enter the intake manifold basically causing a controlled vacuum leak, which in turns ups your idle. I don't see how in anyway that will cause issues in one direction and not the other. And would not affect the steering operation whatsoever.
The vacuum valve ON THE POWER STEERING PUMP, ....that's what you're speaking of, Brandon? Are you saying that the valve on the pump works in conjunction with the valve on the Plenum(idle up)??? When there's more fluid pressure(due to turning, etc.), it opens and allows the plenum valve to pull vacuum?

I see what you mean about the "one direction or the other" end.

When I read up in the manual(haynes), it says that either the steering box, air in lines or blocked line or pump itself would be the cause of "Not turning as easily in one direction as the other".

PS> THANKS, BRANDON! Sorry man, ...I'm just kinda lost in this arena, but learning. I get the idle up stuff, just wasn't sure how the one on the Pump, itself, worked.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-16-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:55 PM

I believe the adjustable one on the plenum is to determine what the idle is when the a/c is on, I don't remember off-hand if the power steering valve is attached to it via the vac lines or not, but yes I am talking about the one on the pump.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread