ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-8...item2a0bd03774

>
>
>

????? lol. Seems a bit steep. I'd rather look at it in my hands, but just wondering if that's what I can expect on price, ya know? I might just hit the Pick-u-Part, tomorrow!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 PM

FORGOT TO ASK, Guys;

When my steering really started to feel more and more resistance... Why would it seem to turn more easily to the left but not so much to the right? Only thing I've added is the steering stabiliser. Not sure, thought maybe I got it too tight or something. But, just seems really strange to me. Does it have to work less to turn left?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
wow you had to grind down that alt to get it to fit too huh? so did I . lmao. I just chalked mine up to your everyday aftermarket fitment issues. Oh well. Funny thing is mine's an autozone model.

your right it would work less when turning from one side to the next, but that is in theory, not real world with a good pump. The way my theory on that works is it's a shock. It takes more effort to compress a shock than it does to extend it.

I got to find a photo of your stabilizer to test my theory though. But if turning right compresses that shock like I think it does, and if the pump is not working as it should, it would make sense to me. But my "theories" and "backwards" thinking are not always right. hahaha.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Hahahaha, sup Brandon!?

Yeah, I hear ya... I have a pic of it in that video when I got it all back together, ya know? It's big and yellow.... TWICE the size of the OEM Damper. The larger portion of that damper is on the passenger side, ....Pretty sure. So, when I have time, I'll look into that too. Thanks for the offer of speculative confirmation and 'XXX-Theorizing in Principles of ''Hey, w/if this thingymadoer does this or that?" 'ostics!' hahaha. Jk, seriously, you've got quite a decent grasp of most arenas on these, Brandon... I'm learning, THANKS TO YOU AND OTHERS! Hopefully, I'm of some use to others on here at times, haha.

Good to hear from ya, Brotha....

YOU'RE NOT CRAZY, Brandon,.... they(Kragen and even Autozone) use this model that, instead of cleaning up the pivot sleeve, calling it a day, they INSERT a sleeve(you can see it, right? It's not aluminum solid flange, like OEM, ...it's High Tinsel Steel Sleeve...Maybe it's just a steel end cap on the front side.... no longer have it to look at)BUT, ...... took me AN HOUR to grind that down with a file, till it would fit! Don't know about you, but I NEVER damaged or purposely stretched out my motor-mount/alternator pivot slot,....so I KNEW something was wrong when it wouldn't fit.... However, the Denso-USA one I got yesterday?..... NO SLEEVE, and the casting is REALLY clean...and it went RIGHT IN, with a lil nudge. Yesterday, at Napa, I had him take a micrometer to the one I returned to them......then to the new one.... Even though I'd ground it down, it STILL was slightly larger....and seriously, Brandon, I REALLY GROUND ON IT! lol.

Answer me this.... WHY IN THE HECK wouldn't Kragen, AutoBone or Pep Boys take this into consideration? I looked at another one at Kragen, yesterday, when having mine tested.... and of course, as I'd said, "kragen only offers ONE MODEL NOW", .....but also, it HAD THAT SLEEVE! Why would they do that? Changing an alternator is pretty cake,....but that thing, the way those 3 sell them? NO WAY!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-13-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:52 AM

haha yup, I hit mine with a freakin grinding wheel too. For the life of my I can't remember if I took the grinder to that bracket or not. But either way it's still a bitch to get in and out. 5 minute job is more like 20.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 PM

YES! Now, I'm not trying to sell parts, and I know, there are many on line if ppl want to wait.... but Napa, in all fairness, offered the best quality one for the price, all Denso inners and NO FLANGE!

Wanna know what really happened? I just figured it out.......>>>>

PS> ALTERNATOR;

Turns out.... I'M A DORK! lol. The alternator I returned to Napa, yesterday? ....WASN'T NAPA'S! lol....Yes, O.M.M. has truly set in! (old man memory), hahahahaha. What happened, now that I think back, was that I was back and forth to the both of them.....when my buddy at Napa said, "Kragen uses the same place for rebuilding that we use on those lower end ones"(which is all that the Kragen now sells)..... so I went there. I'm lookin at the receipt right now! lol. 98$, total. My Buddy at Napa just told me, "It's ok, ...just go with it! lol... I used that 1986 Pick up invoice on line to authorize it,....then pulled some strings to get you the Top end one... S'all good, you've been through enough,....enjoy the 'OOPS, I SCORED' moment!" ....hahahaha. Cool buddy! lol. I thought it was strange, since I'm SOOOOOO organized with receipts, etc., that I couldn't find it...then, when yesterday, he was saying, "Hey, honestly? I can't find a SINGLE invoice of having sold one of these since 2010, January.....and it was a 86'Pick up"...... So I got out my HUGE stack of receipts again, .... VOILA, 'Kragen, Alternator, 98$'.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-13-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u have a nice bud their. hope ur alternator lasts a long time.
i may have to look in to getting one from napa if im following you correctly?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM

Hey Twisted, thanks for stopping in, .......

Well, I can't be sure whether Napa is better on many parts, but far as the alternator, this one seems to be really good quality, much better than the one from Kragen(They Only Offer one option). I also like the fact that Napa seems to offer far more options on many parts, and they carry Altrom in many cases, which seems to be Aisin, relabeled for Napa and maybe a couple others?

Maybe do a bit of research, as I'm not sure of "this or that place is best". Maybe I just have horrible luck with the most common parts stores? lol. I do know that the Napa Water Pump I got no more than a year ago has already taken a dump.

Seriously, Twisted?... I've had MANY parts from AutoZone, Kragen, Pep Boys, Advanced,.....that, well, have all lasted longer than I kept the cars they were put in. As I said, ...lately, it seems they've cut back on quality, but again, IT COULD JUST BE ME!!!! HAHAHA.

Try to find an Alternator that is guaranteed for life, Made in the USA or Japan and that uses all Denso Replacement Parts. OR, rebuild your own with an OEM kit. Many do it with great results.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 AM

Hey Guys, hope everyone is doing well.......I've been really busy, just crazy, ....but I managed to order up another pump, it came in yesterday, and I noticed something.....

1. All three of the pumps I've ordered, including this one, have 'ISSUES' with sealing well at any of the 3 inlet/outlets(Feeding elbow, Flanged fittings facing driver side fender and idle up vacuum fitting.... AND, it's best to replace the O-ring from dealer in the feed elbow that goes into the top).

2. My first pump from Kragen also leaked from where the two pump body pieces bolt together.

3. The latest one leaked from the idle up valve on top, badly.... I'm trying some "High Temp Thread Sealant" used on fuel/oil/tapered/banjo'd and flanged fittings, etc.

I think that, when the flanged fittings bottom out, and I couldn't go any tighter, safely, I have no choice but to use thread sealant(PER INSTRUCTIONS), after cleaning up both sides, let it dry and come back and hope they seal up. NONE of the threads are munched, everything slides and threads in just fine. Maybe they clean them out a lil too deeply, causing the flanged/tappered fittings to not be enough to seal out the fluid?

Don't mean to ramble on about details like this, but thought it might be helpful to anyone installing a pump. I had everything VERY snug, and it leaked fluid ALL OVER the place.....thankfully, after all I've been through, I have buckets and towels on hand all the time! hahaha. I'll get it snugged up with sealer and, hopefully, everything will seal up and I'll have good news! (please GOD? haha)

Also, not so great news. Looks like, after all that work to do the timing cover, pan, etc., ....I have some leaking on the pan and what APPEARS to be a leak from the front main seal!(I did NOT replace the FMain seal when doing this cover job...it.... It's only got 3K MAX miles on it, as does the brand new Harmonic Balancer.... and It's OEM...so I'm not sure what's going on there.) It's a small drip, but I'm sure it could get worse!(I've seen videos of those slinging oil all over the place) lol. I'll get on that, as well, asap. Hopefully, the pan wont leak any worse in which case I'll leave it until I do the suspension(everything will be out of the way, anyhow.)

...............what else can I do, right? lol.

Thanks guys,

Mark

PS> I'll get some pics or video or something, today, .....I know they help liven up the threads, haha.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang Chef that really sucks! I was hopin you had it fixed
Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM

even if you took it to dealer the seals are never covered just labor I try to never use a seal over
Old 02-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Dang Chef that really sucks! I was hopin you had it fixed

Yeah, me 2! hahaha. S'ok, Zach, ...I'll get it, eventually, and I figure, I've kept at it pretty good, with the time that I have, and within 3K Miles, I've caught a lot of things, worked out a lot of things.... Sure, it's pretty daunting and tedious at this point, but WHAT ELSE CAN I DO, RIGHT? Yeah, sell it, that's about it! hahaha. Not gonna happen. So, I fix it, just like Ted said in my sig quote! hahaha. GO TED! haha. Yeah, I'll do that Front main in no time. That's no big deal, really. Just pull the fan, shroud and crack that sucker loose ....AGAIN, ....for the 8th time! hahaha.

Guys, is there maybe a sleeve I can use to be CERTAIN that the back of the Harmonic is sealing with the Front Main? Can't see how a brand new of both and I'm still getting a leak.

Anyway, I should have the steering all settled now, and I'll bleed it soon. Just letting the thread sealer set up. Same technology as Lock Tite, but without the "AHHHHHH, THIS IS STUCK FOREVER", HAHAHA., and well, WITH the 'sealed off from hot oils' factor included. lol.

PLEASE LORD, NO LEAKS ON THIS PUMP?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
even if you took it to dealer the seals are never covered just labor I try to never use a seal over
Yeah, not sure what else to do, Mike. I mean, it was leaking out like a pig from that Vacuum idle up apparatus on top of the pump, right out of the threads and all over the place. I could not go any tighter without using 2 hands. So, I don't really think I had a choice....but yes, if you mean on Flanged and tapered fittings, not using thread seal, ..yeah, I wish I didn't have to, and I tried not to anywhere on the truck....including the oil sender which I finally got sealed up with that "ONEEEEEEEEEEEE MOREEEEEEEEE TURNNNNNNN, GRRRRRRRRRRRRR, there"... method, HAHAHA.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM

chef you one dedicated man, you get tired of workin on yours I would be happy to bring mine out to ya and let you tinker with it, at least I know you would stay at it till it was done rite, you are awsome when most people myself included would just say thats good enough Im tired of this, you youjust wont settle keep it up man. and I got a deal kinda like your altinater awhile back feals good to get a real deal once in awhile lol.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Hey Jason, ....thanks a lot, man...very kind of you!

I don't know how to quit, man, hahaha. Sometimes, however, I think maybe I should, hahaha. Not at this, just when it's practical, ya know? Make sure you give me a holler if you're ever going to be out here on layover and bored to death, ok? I don't have much time, but I could easily make some to do lunch or something, ya know?

Have a good one, man!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:20 PM

OK guys, .....

Got the Steering pump in and I don't seem to have any leaks. HOWEVER, hahaha..... one thing I don't like......

* When I turn the wheel to the right, especially at a dead stop at idle... it's VERY much too stiff(too hard to turn). Once I'm moving, just a lil, then get on a gas a lil and turn to the right, it seems a lil easier. The left is always easy.

WTH is going on? Is it possible that I have the steering stabilizer, driver side, too tight on the lock nut? I don't think that's it, cuz the tapered shaft doesn't go all the way in til the tapered shaft is all the way in.

Is it possible that when I jammed the OEM original stabilizer, rolling it back, that I bent something under there? I could really use some insight on how all this works, guys, ... thanks in advance!

Mark
Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Check the linkage ends... Seems like there's something binding...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Hey Buddy! Thanks, ...ok, Just curious though....

I have that new HD OME Stabilizer, ...and it seemed WAY more difficult to compress than the orig... Is it possible that it's causing the hard turning right?

Even when I had it jacked up in the front(bleeding), it was a lil harder to turn right, I could easily feel the difference. Not near as hard as when on the ground, but still, noticeable.

How and where would I look under there/test for in the linkage?

PS> My stock stabilizer was leaking pretty bad, so I had it hanging, ....when I rolled it back, it caught on something and snapped it in half. The mounting slot looks undamaged and the new one went in with the common amount of work. Not sure what I'm looking for, Space, sorry. But, I don't think that smaller stabilizer could have caused too much trouble when catching on the linkage and snapping. It broke where it was weakest when extended, btw.

PSS> I'm not sure if this stabilizer is ok to use with stock height... I got it with the shocks made for the 1.5"-2" lift, but I didn't think that would make any difference...just thought I'd ask. It's much bigger in diameter, that's all I notice.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-15-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM

no issues with mine and a procomp stabil. But an earlier comment of mine was that turning one way with a bad pump it would make sense, but not with a new unit. Maybe you got some air in system still? Doubt that though since it was still doing it before.

I don't know what the symptoms of a bad steering box would be though.

Maybe try taking out the steering shock and see how it reacts.

BTW, I still have that manual steering box.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Im with xtreme unhook the stabalizer and see what happens but I would say its alittle air in the system still just my opinion.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread