86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
The fuse behind the steering wheel usually weakens when it is overworked and too much current is applied too early in life usually due to a lightning strike. When it starts to show it's age and extra work is done by that fuse it can cause it to blow.
Uhhhhhhhh, eh? lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
you'll figure it out.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
yeah, but it also might see it as a small short. the regulator should have reverse-current protection.

mark: try disconnecting the alternator entirely and see what readings you get
Can I just unplug the connector from the back and take a reading? That what you mean? All the wires to the alternator are there, seem to be plugged in. Not sure if maybe I pushed the alternator over hard and with it still connected, ....it somehow caused a hot wire to hit on metal? HOW is that possible? lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Hahaha, I wanna sig that, Brandon! lol... But, I only have room for that one from Ted for now, haha.

Seriously, guys... if you tell me in what order to check which and what,...I'm on it like a wet blanket after work, ok?

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 02-11-2011, 04:59 PM

there is a plug and then there is a single loose wire that gets bolted down on the alternator.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Yeah, they're both connected, from what I can pull on and see. Tight and solid connections. DANGIT, It worked before this...but maybe not well, ya know? lol. I thought like before my 80A would go...that would be so easy! lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM

If that 80A amp fuse or the related fusible link that is attached to the bottom side of that fuse and runs to the positive battery cable was bad, you would not have one once of power to the entire truck.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Can I just unplug the connector from the back and take a reading? That what you mean? All the wires to the alternator are there, seem to be plugged in. Not sure if maybe I pushed the alternator over hard and with it still connected, ....it somehow caused a hot wire to hit on metal? HOW is that possible? lol.
i just meant that if the regulator circuit is bad, or the current is reversed, the circuit might act as a short circuit. when you do un-plug it, make sure all the wires are disconnected.

as far as order of operations, do all the stuff brandon is saying to check for, then lastly disconnect the alternator. easy --> difficult
Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 PM

I've probably changed out around ....well, let's just say TOO MANY alternators, in the past. Funny thing is, ...with this truck, I had the original Alternator with like 257K ON IT? lol. I know NOW, I should have just kept all the DENSO-NESS and Aisin'etics I could, hahaha... but hind sight etc., etc..... etc., lol.

So, I just finished up and it's 10:10PM, ...so I'll just disconnect the negative to see if it stays running. OBVIOUSLY it shouldn't, lol... but if all the fuses check out, etc., then I'll yank the thing. I think either I shorted it out somehow or jacked up the connector,....whatcha think? hahaha. Yeah, maybe the thing's just a piece of crap, just like MOST EVERY OTHER Made IN WHEREVERville piece of crap I've dealt with thus far! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-11-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 PM

Went out and checked every fuse, connection to the alternator, .... and I am pretty sure everything I can verify(aside from the alternator itself) should be good to go. So, I pulled the alternator. Only took around 10 minutes, and I think it's easiest(as Ian said, "easiest>>toughest") to just have AutoZone test it for me. I'll be right there with a client around 10AM, ....then, when I leave the client, if they say, 'Yep, it's dust', ....I'm off to Napa to get another one. Dang, started typing this at 11:10 and I'm not posting it until 12AM? lol... Got distracted looking at the warranty for napa. If they say, "6 Months" and it's honored, ...I'm getting my money back and going AutoZone or something, until I can afford an OEM Alt. That way, at least I'll have a lifetime Warranty! lol.

This "live and learn" stuff is gettin OLD, FELLAS! hahaha.

PS> I can't know if it was even smoke, nor if it was, whether it was related to the alternator... but, when I was out there today, messing around before hoping to take off, ....I thought I saw a lil plume of smoke come up from the drivers side. I guess it's possible that I was witnessing the actual giving upeth of the ghost, right there, eh? lol. However, it has me concerned that I can't be sure what might have caused it to fry....IF IT DID! lol. Not sure, but I think I'll replace the ground wire, at least, and clean up the connector really well. It looks good in there, but yeah, it could be corroded a bit underneath the connector housing, right?

We'll see what they say tomorrow and I'll let you guys know ASAP, we'll go from there, if you guys would be so kind to help me dig a lil deeper(if it's something causing failure).

thanks guys, SERIOUSLY, I mean it!

Mark
Old 02-12-2011, 05:29 AM

Hey chef: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...gnosis-229537/

Can you put up a vid of what your bad power steering pump sounds like up? You never did show it running.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Alt. Not to big of a deal if it is under warranty, just another little bump in the road. Good luck is sure to be right around the corner.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry bout the alt that sux. if it makes ya feel ne better my batt light stays on all the time but me and a buddy tested everything and the alt was putn out the right amount and the batt was stayn where its pose to be we couldnt find nething. so my fix for the batt light was took a pic of my girl and stuck it right over top the truck will let me know if the batt dies lol
Old 02-12-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I'll run that situation by Dave at the shop and see what he says. He is a genius when it comes to that.
I will get back to you Monday or Tue.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Sucks to hear about your alternator. I have never had trouble with the stuff I get from AutoZone. They always honor the lifetime warranty. I've gone through two alternators and a couple starters between my truck and my dads 85. Also a completely worn out clutch.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:09 PM

man chef sorry to hear about your alt what luck, youve done everything else rite you will get this fixed rite to good luck.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Hey Guys, I'm so sorry, I've seriously been unable to check in and fill you all in. I have a couple videos, Brandon, and I'll download them after posting this,... Please forgaves me, k? haha. What a freakin day... for now, I'll update and then post a video.

1. I got in to Napa and returned the Alternator, where the guy said, "They gave you this? First off, they charged you too much for this model... It's not the 'Remanded by Denso' model... and second, it's got this sleeve in the pivot spot, which is why you had such a time getting it ground down and then to fit in the pivot." He then tested it, for the print out to send to Napa, and walked in the back, then came out with a "Rebuilt, Fully in the USA by US~Denso", which I guess is supposed to cost 169$? "No extra charge, bud, .... so sorry you've had so many bouts with 'freak parts failure'... here's your receipt in case something goes wrong. With this one, you have a lifetime warranty, too, as long as it's you returning it, ok?" ............... So there you have it. I plugged it in and it's working just fine. I think it's improved my "Idling down when under voltage load" issue, too... We'll see. The voltage gauge is still bouncing a lil....but as I said, didn't notice the idle drop...YET! lol.

2. The steering pump wont be available until Monday earliest, Tuesday latest. That's just great, because, well, I HAVE ALMOST NO power steering at all now! haha. I would gladly get a yard pump and rebuild it, ......maybe get my money back instead of getting a replacement. But seriously?..... Maybe 3rd time will be a charm? hahahaha.

Any ideas on the steering pump? I'm going to take any of them into consideration... and after 2 being bad in as many months? YEAH, not feeling so 'YAY' about trying yet another one. NO, it's not a big job, replacing the pump... but it's not a 5 minute job, either! lol. A buddy of mine who's been building these for years... He told me to use ATF/Dextron stuff instead of the "standard" power steering fluid. It prevents acute early failure, etc., ...the red stuff.. Anyone use that?

Thanks, so much guys, for the well wishin's and encouragement...it really means a lot after being through so many BS ISSUES with this over the last year.

Be back with a video in a few minutes! lol.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 PM

Ok, I'm not sure why, ....but now my camera's video is doing audio that sounds TERRIBLE! lol. I won't even bother posting it. I'll try tomorrow and see if I can adjust the mic down, ...whatever, it's just so distorted it's not even worth it. DANGIT, it was really clear on the steering pump noise, too! grrr! haha.

Any ideas, guys, on where I can get a good deal on a OEM rebuild kit?..is it worth it?.. just get one from the counter at the yard so I can return it if it's TOTALLY junk? .... etc., ? hahaha.

Ok, now I gotta check up on all y'allz threads!

OH, Brandon... I said in the video, ..."OH YEAH, and Brandon.... I checked the fuses behind the steering wheel,...and even though both myself and the truck have been struck by lightening, many times... IT WAS NOT burned out! " haha.

Look forward to any input on good deals, etc., guys! THANKS, in advance!

PS> This is one of the reasons I'm asking..... http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/Sea...fineBy_92=5408

Notice the price? lol.. Yeah, it's 100$+ less than dealer... BUT C'MONNNNNNNNN, 328$??? lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-12-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
well, it looks like my work here is done!

hahaha
Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
well, it looks like my work here is done!

hahaha
Hahaha... Hey, seriously, Ian,.... I'm ALWAYS grateful for ANYONE giving me ANYTHING they think might be helpful... and you've been helpful a few times, indeed.

Brandon, for instance, has saved me a lot of time just throwing out some of his, "ummm, yeah, this might sound stupid, BUTT", comments! hahaha. Seriously, Props to the B! lol. (BTW, thanks for the link, Brandon,... I stopped in over there, have to get on my PC so I can hear it better, ya know?)

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread