86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Mark....just "subscribed" to your channel via Joe's channel on YOUTUBE.....(something-mermaid) so don't get alarmed......hehehehehe
Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by engnbldr
Do like me. Plug in Bob Segar and turn up the volume, all fixed...When something falls off, then fix it....Hey, pretty job there, Chief!..Congrats!!...*EB

buuwuwwhahahaha Now that right there is sig material.

Remind me not to let this guy build an engine for me. J/K.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by engnbldr
>>>*Well. Now you have the same problem we have with our z06 Corvette.

*It's so clean we can't drive it because it might get dirt on it...*LOL**.

Wish I had me a dime for every email I got about noisy chains that turn out to be pumps, clutch fans, loose flywheels, tailpipes rattling, on and on. Best one was the whiskey bottle half full under the front seat, that one only made the noise when turning left! (True one there although it was a Chevy pickup with a brand new 454 in it.)

Of course once you do fix something, you can't hear the noise it made before but you CAN hear the...other noises that were there before.

Plus of course NOW everyone is listening closely worrying about which bolt they forgot to tighten.

Do like me. Plug in Bob Segar and turn up the volume, all fixed...When something falls off, then fix it....Hey, pretty job there, Chief!..Congrats!!...*EB
Hahahaha! Yep, aint it the truth, Ted? I actually had a CRAZY annoying noise in this thing, from 2002 to right when I pulled the motor. As I lifted it off the mounts, a 12MM long Snap On 1/4" drive socket fell on the ground.....it was trapped there for AT LEAST the 8 years I owned it before finding it! haha... drove me NUTS! Finally gave up. However, SO TRUE, when you fix something, you find the next thing, and then next, ...etc., etc. haha. GREAT hearing from ya, Ted, and that is going in my sig(what XXX mentioned... straight out! lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Chef....that is one sexy motor....I just watched the video. glad your gremlin has been found.

did you drop your diff....or no? to do the oil pan. maybe you don't ave those 2 mounts perfect (the big round ones) and that's your noise (ask me why I know)
Thanks, Jerry! I really appreciate that. It's crazy though... people on here seem to give me grief for having a clean motor with such attention to detail... hahaha. Actually, to be honest, WHO CARES! lol. I actually think, if you look at the beginning of this thread..... IT LOOKS A LIL BETTER, NO? hahaha. Don't worry, guys, it'll get FILTHY once I get the suspension done and am able to get out there. But, for now, why not get it clean and lookin sexy, right? I mean, if it doesn't wash off after wheeling, whatever, I'll consider it 'racing stripes', haha. But, still doesn't change the fact that I wanted to work on a motor, for once, without being COVERED in grease, ya know? haha. Oh, and yeah, looking sexy w/out much more than a can of paint or two....not a big deal, ya know? Also, those who think my sexy motor is silly, ....you'll be happy to know that I tore the paint of half the oil pan to hell! hahaha. Jk, guys.... thanks so much for all your help!

And yes, ALL HAIL 'THE TED'! lol. Tod's quite the Guru, himself.... but haven't seen him commenting. Probably no time! lol
Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
Mark....just "subscribed" to your channel via Joe's channel on YOUTUBE.....(something-mermaid) so don't get alarmed......hehehehehe
You're a Mermaid? WHAT? I KNEW IT! lol. But seriously...WHAT? Is that 85's page name?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM

si....Joe gave it a name that would throw anyone off.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Hahaha, .... I guess I've seen that, but never really paid attention, haha.

Any ideas from anyone on that spring/squeaking/stretchy noise when flexing the body out? Please don't say 'frame damage', lol. Could it be my torsion bar on the driver side just so worn out that it's making a racket? Or, is it more likely something within the IFS components?

Jerry, btw, I don't think I have the Diff drop located giant washer thingymadoers in wrong, nor the diff/crossmemeber mount....and done to torque value, as well.... MAINLY because, this sound has been there for quite a while.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM

stupid crazy question but you sure it's not the springs in your seat?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Took you up on that suggestion, Brandon... snagged that quote for my sig! hahaha... I mean, how often does one get Ted to throw some humor on their threads, eh? lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM

You have no idea what riding in a truck with a bunch of noises is till you ride in mine.

hmmm, that didn't sound right, but whatever.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Not a stupid question, Brandon..... actually, as I was saying though, ...It's only when coming up a driveway or, in other words, over a bump enough to leave a large space from center of undercarriage to the ground. For instance, when going up a hill, when the center is furthest from the ground, or when coming up on a large speed bump, I hear it clearly in the suspension. Could it be a T-bar? Or maybe a bent or cracked A-arm? I just don't know where to start looking, ....thanks for any input, man.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM

No clue there man. I would just grease up you fittings if you haven't done so recently and see what happens.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM

I was thinking maybe my sway bar.... But, when you say 'fittings'.... anything more detailed for me? hahaha. If you tell me what section to look at in the book, on some threads, whatever, I'll hit it up. You don't mean the zerk fittings, right? I keep all my drive line all lubed up well.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM

Yes, I mean zerk fittings. Don't forget the upper and lower ball joints too. I think the lowers have em, I know the uppers do. Which reminds me been a while since I did mine haha.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-11-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Sway bar...You don't need no stinking sway bar!!!

Maybe find someone a bit short for their weight and have them gently push the bumper down while your under it. Sway bar bushing very possible.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
You have no idea what riding in a truck with a bunch of noises is till you ride in mine.

hmmm, that didn't sound right, but whatever.
you shoulda heard all the racket in my truck those 2 days I took my wife back and forth to work an hour each way .....talk about wishing I had a radio to turn up....SHEESH!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Thanks, Brandon, Lumpster, Jerry....

Yeah, I'm replacing all 4 Ball Joints, soon.... and I'll be sure to try that before, just to see. However, it just seems more like a long screeching squeak, like a bed spring but for a longer period. It just sounds like something is REALLY under stress, ya know what I mean? lol. I can hear the Zuk's all on their own...that noise is different, ya know? Similar, but more deep and throaty of a squeak... this is higher pitched but very noticeable/still loud.

Thanks again, guys, for hanging in there with me. Hopefully, I'm good to go for a while.... pardon my hesitance in proclaiming long term victory, right now, ok? lol. After all I've been through..not sure I EVER wanna do that again, ahaha.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Sway bar...You don't need no stinking sway bar!!!

Maybe find someone a bit short for their weight and have them gently push the bumper down while your under it. Sway bar bushing very possible.
I'm around 230#, Lumpy...... and I can jump up and down but don't really hear THAT noise, ya know? My front end and truck in general is pretty quiet. I'm not really complaining over the noise....just don't wanna let something go that is about to tweak out and snap off, lol. Yeah Lumpster....more like I only hear it on inclines or descents where the whole body underneath has tons of travel.....making sense at all? Sorry, I'll try to get it on video, lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
this thread moves fast..

It was no leaks for two weeks..
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM

Sweet, thanks, Outsane! lol.... You know, those 'things' that stick in your head throughout the day, when you can't think of a name of a singer/actor(whatever), or you get info and you're not sure what the person means.....but then don't hear from them again for a while, ahhaha. Does that happen to anyone else? lol.

OH, btw, I took Paul Sjolund out to dinner the other night.... He's a fairly famous Composer/Conductor.....what a cool experience that was, and MAN, the stories from an 80 year old that's led a life like his? We went to this event where people flew from all over the world to sing under his command! hahaha. People were bowing to him and stuff, hahahaa. He kept saying, "Please, get up, you'll get your pants dirty bowing to me and then I'll feel obligated to get your dry cleaning...plus, I think God might take issue with it, hahaha". Great evening, man! His brother was an astro physicist, also an auto master.... and he would get cars from the Junk yards, fix them up for ppl who couldn't afford em.....and sell them to them for even less than it cost him to fix them. 488 TIMES HE DID THAT! I'm trying to get the link to his brothers story.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread