ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chef if not going with diff drop better order some axles
Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys,

Well, a famous hardware store out here had the timing cover bolt I needed... even gave me some different lengths to play around with. I got it to around 27#'s and I'm stopping there. I think it's a lil munched in there, but it was definitely the bolt, ....it BARELY got in there. And, I PROMISE you guys, ...I NEVER moved any bolts around, template jobbed everything, ....so apparently, the guy gave me back a different bolt there, cuz I must of taken it out when I removed the alternator brace. Anyway, I think I'm good to go there. But, when I finally got back(it was a lil drive, 20 min. each way).... I checked the oil pan studs and they just didn't feel right trying to get them back into the brand new timing cover....so NO WAY I was going to mess around. I tried the local parts stores again.....and ONCE again, ...no go. So, back to Love Lady Hardware. THANK GOD they had them.

I also exchanged the PS-pump for a new one. I have an idea, and granting it doesn't leak from the main body seal, ...it should seal up that extra hole for good! Kwik JB will do it, trust me, lol. Gonna do it before putting any fluid in it.

Now, if I can find time tomorrow to do the pan, I'll do that, let it dry for at least 15hrs. per the instructions on the toyota stuff, lol.... then fill her with fluids and PRAY HARD that it doesn't leak!

I'm trying, guys,....I just keep running into these time killers!

Hope everyone's ok, have a great night, guys.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Hey Mike,

Well, I keep reading conflicting info on that. Also, if I find too much binding when testing it out on the full rack lift.... then in they'll go. I have both the diff and sway drop deluxe kit. Just a lil iffy on the angles of the drive shaft behind her, when running at that angle. As it is now, I'm almost level in the front on the CV's.... BARELY angled...so I'm not sure 1.5" at the outside of the UCA is gonna cause to tremendous an angle....HOWEVER, I'll make sure before I even drive it home, trust me.

On that end, I now have;

1. OME Nitro Shocks and Stabilizer up front
2. ALL new control arm bushings
3. All new ball joints
4. All new sway bar bushings and end link bushings
5. BJ Spacer kit
6. STILL planning on doing a possible FJ80 TRends upgrade... (just got stuck in this CRAP!)

Should be a much nicer ride, after 24 years and 260K miles of NEVER BEING TOUCHED! eh? hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-08-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Hope ya got the leak fixed!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:20 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Go chef!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Chef...hoping you got your leak fixed. Anytime I feel I might have a stripped bolt, first thing is try a different bolt. It has saved me a couple of times. Anytime I am in a salvage yard, I grab every loose bolt I can find, and take out as many as I can easily get ahold of. My salvage guy knows when I come to counter that I will have ton of them. You are making really good progress.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Hey Zach, Terry, Jerry, ..... lol... thanks guys!

I really feel like I've run into every possible 'FREAK HAPPENSTANCE' that could possibly happen to a person when it comes to this last year. honestly, ...I really am very careful and thorough, etc., ......so it's not as though I feel like "I've done everything wrong", ...but SERIOUSLYYYYYYYYYYYYY? C'MONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! HAHAHA.

Ok, well, I got the pan in, ....TOTAL PITA~! Only reason being, to be honest....the STUPID STEERING LINKAGE! LOL. If I'd have moved that out of the way, dropping it down, ...CAKE! The problem is, of course, the pick up tube. When you don't lift the motor or drop the steering, ...there's only so much room to drop the front of the pan to bolt that in...so, you have to tilt the pan down on the pass. side, up as much as you can on the driver side, then BARELY get arms my size in there. Then, I had to reach from the side, smearing Toyota FIPG all over my arm, ....tried to slather it up again accurately, ...just really tough, especially considering there's no room. Just a miserable job. I hate to say it, but I'm concerned it's going to leak. If so, I'll have no problem dropping it this time, as I WILL take out the idler on one end and let it hang down to give me more room. I'm concerned because I smeared with my arm, and in the back trying to wedge it in. JUST SUCKED, PERIOD, lol.

The SECOND new Steering pump(and all the bracket stuff went in...and this one got FIPG stuffed into that capped off hole, as that's where the last one leaked after 3 months!

The Fan and pulley are on.

Alternator hooked up, grounded as well.

Checked the valve lash, just to be sure.

Found my spare half moons for the Vcover I've been looking for(YAY, something good! hhaha). The old ones are tore up after having to remove the valve cover 8 times in as many months.

Hopefully, I did everything properly and, as important, ...NOTHING JUST RANDOMLY IS OUT OF WHACK OR CRACKED OR HOOPTY! HAHAHA. Please, God, DON'T LEAK! lol

Really long day, and tomorrow, I'll V-cover her and fill her with fluids... then she will either be sealed or not, ya know?

thanks, so much, guys... sorry this has turned into a dramafest......meaning, just 'ALWAYS SOMETHING'....and I don't mean "My new mod, today will be", either! hahaha.

Appreciate all the ideas support I've received, I really do!

Mark
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Sounds like you had a helluva time. At least you got it almost all of the way together. I got my fingers crossed for no leak for ya.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM

wow mark things do move fast here I had to go back 4 or 5 pages to catch up, hope you got the leak fixed and havnt developed any new ones as would be the case if it were me I sure. I will try and do a better job of keeping up and you have scared the crap out of me hoping I got mine back together rite.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Fingers crossed for NO LEAKS!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Fingers crossed for NO LEAKS!
ditto-ditto-ditto
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm sure you got it this time!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Rob, Lumpy, Jerry, Jason, Zach, ....thanks man.... I HOPE SO TOO~! hehe.

Jason, I hope what I've shared doesn't just automatically make you or anyone else paranoid, lol... I'm not being paranoid, actually.... After all I've been through due to someone elses err..... I HAVE REASON to be a lil 'concerned', no matter what I do at this point, haha. However, I have a brand new timing cover, got the bolts in right, etc....so I think the cover should be ok. The oil pan? Wow, I'm telling ya, ....that was a nightmare. I should have either dropped the linkage or lifted the motor(linkage seems more logical. In fact, I could have coated almost half the pan if I had it down that lil bit further that I would have gotten by dropping the steering. I can't KNOW it's gonna leak...just can't say "I'm sure it wont", ya know?

Man, guys, .....of course, right when I need to get my truck going asap, ....the work load here just FLOODS on me! lol. I've been at it, between work and this, for around 18hrs a day.....16hrs. work on most days.... VERY tired, soar and wanting a break, haha. NOT whining, promise.... I enjoy accomplishing something, even if it's fixing someone else crap! hahaha.

FIST BUMPS w/my Yotatech Homies! ....OK, that's better, ....thanks guys! hahaha
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Good to hear man!!!

Ya getting that damn stuff off your forearms is a lot of fun!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Good to hear man!!!

Ya getting that damn stuff off your forearms is a lot of fun!!!

indeed.
the very back of the pan was the worst for me.....and the scrubbing of the arms was pretty nasty too.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM

Hey guys, THANKS!

Dang, I can't believe I've not posted any pics in pages...sorry guys! .... just SO BUSY! So, here's some pics and a video, get'n ya up to date and throw out a lil concern I have with some timing chain chatter.......yeah, it better clear up! I'll throw up a video tomorrow after a 100mile drive or so, checkin to see if I'm gonna have to tear it down again, lol. Yeah, I laugh...what else can I do at this point, ya know? haha.

Here's the pics and video.........

Not sure if I posted any of those..... But here's the video of where I'm at, at this point, ...lemme know whatcha'all think, k?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow Chef that block, crank, and components are so clean. Things are looking good.
Post up a vid of the chain chatter.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM

Will do, tomorrow, bud! Thanks, M8....always appreciate a skilled builder like yourself stopping in. I'm starting to really get comfortable with tearing down pretty much anything now...so WHATEVER, if it needs to go through another strip search, then that's what'll have to happen, ya know? GOD I hope not, but yeah, as my daughters used to say all the time.... 'WHAT.....EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR' hahaha.

Thanks, Bro,

Mark
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
No problem Chef. If I can help at all let me know. I am curious why that chain is rattling. I will play that vid for Dave at the shop and see what he thinks.
I have to say that entire front end of your truck is so clean! Really really nice work. I dare say that is showroom ready!!!

Last edited by toyospearo; 02-10-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:11 PM

Way to go Chef. Its good to see it back together. And that IS one pretty looking motor

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread