86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ahhhh, you mean the Coolant Temperature Sensor? Yeah, that can REALLY effect the EFI systems performance. Interesting though... mine, when taking a turn for the worse, caused it to simply run really low idle, and I kept having to adjust the Air/Fuel Mixture screw on top of the throttle body out, further and further. Glad you got it settled, bud.

Enjoy the smooth ride! lol. I'll be getting my lil beast back together in the next couple days. I'll take plenty of pics, hopefully.

Mark
Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea thats what i meant lol been a long day. oh and im am enjoying the smoothness done drove round everywhere
Old 02-06-2011, 04:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by baddest94
yea thats what i meant lol been a long day. oh and im am enjoying the smoothness done drove round everywhere

Told ya

Glad you got it fixed bubba.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
regarding the torque, close to the back of the FSM, it shows torque values for certain bolts based on size and line marking on them. Use those values. I have a different set of botls on mine or I would double check the actual values.

"Standard Bolt Torque Specifications" is the section. Page 1407 it starts. The line markings or the lack thereof will give you the bolt class. ie 4T 5T 6T (Page 1408) Then looking on page 1409 an 8mm diameter bolt will take a 10mm socket on the head. A 12mm bolt will take a 14mm socket. Then match up your previous class 4T 5T in the left column of that graph. It will show you the torque spec on the bolt.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 02-06-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks, B, .....

But I only have the Haynes at the moment. Someone borrowed my FSM and never returned it,.....and the cause for this would be.....THEY LOST IT! Lol. As I remember, it was 9#, but the Haynes is reading 13# for the V6 on the water pump bolts.

Any chance anyone has the specs for me on an 87 4Runner 22re?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
the pages I was talking about it the downloadable FSM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Thanks, B, once again!

Just for reference to anyone who inquires and can't find the answer.....

The water pump bolts and studs are M6x1.0 ..... I decided to replace the studs with bolts, for now, since I can't seem to find the right length studs(the studs I need are around 30MM long....so M6x1.0x30mm). They have a ridge to keep them from bottoming out in the timing cover, ...and the ridge is supposed to be short of center to one side, longer on the side that the nut goes on. Well, Napa, Kragen, Home Depot....NONE of them had the right one, they only have studs that the ridge is in the middle, and the total length is around 25mm, which is around, well, 5mm short of what I need to get the nut on well and, also, even at 30mm long, ...it would still be in the middle, I'm assuming, on the ridge...which, of course, would be too deep on the timing cover side! grrr, lol.

Long story short, I'm going with bolts, M6x1.0x30mm and a lock washer. If I ever need to take off the pump, I'll find the studs at the dealer(I'm sure for 5$ each, lol) and put them in so I can mount the gasket, pump, etc., without worrying about cocking the gasket sideways, etc.

Thanks again, Brandon, for all your help!

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-06-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Enjoy the game, guys!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 PM

Well, I spent much of the day's spare time chasing down bolts/studs for the water pump.... only to find those 30mm ones? TOO LONG, lol. So, I backed out the studs a lil, a buddy stopped by and filed down the stud with the munched threads, back to like new and back in it went. They're all tightened down to 11#, THAT'S ALL I'm doing...it just feels really close to snappin off(or damaging the timing cover) anything past that. That's plenty, anyway... I had the last 2 W-pumps at 9# and they never leaked from the sides.

I'll get pics tomorrow if I'm able to start putting it back together. I should have at least a couple hours tomorrow to start cleaning up the stuff one more time before it goes on, then I'll slap on the cover, etc., etc. Gotta pick up my PS-pump tomorrow too. I'll let the cover/HG/Block union sealer set up a lil with cover on, hidden bolt in a bit, front bolts in, .....pick up the pump, come back and get as much done as possible.

Sorry guys, I'm tryin... Just only have so much of that PRECIOUS TIME! lol.

Thanks for all your help thus far,

Mark
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like your getting there...should turn key today!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Nahhhhhhhh, no turn key, lol. But, I've got the cover on. Unfortunately, couldn't get pics before slapping it bac k on, due to no batteries, grr, ... but WHO CARES, it's nothing those who would give a crapola haven't seen a hundred times. The metal guide kit is on, cover's on, AC brace on and those bolts in, Alt. pivot and steering braces in.... coming along. I did a video finally of what I encountered, I'll let it speak for itself when I can FINALLY upload it, lol. Just had a couple hic-ups due to the drive spline, etc. I tell ya...that oil pump does NOT like to go in over the spline without a lil finagling. Anyway, it's on, corners gooped, VERY light film on the cover gasket.....lil more on the water pipes,......

Next is the oil pan.... it's just BARELY too tight to where I will have to have the pick up layin in there and install it AFTER I get the pan through the narrow squeeze. But, it's very doable. I'm going to leave off the sealer on the front of the pan until I get the pick up tube in...that way, I'm not dragging my big ole arms over Toyota FIPG and having to RE-DO IT ANYWAY! lol. It shouldn't be too bad. Have to clean up the oil pan bolts first. I'm surprised how lil they are. Maybe 5/16" available to go up into the pan.

So, theories on gooping the pan.... Should I GOOP, or just nice bead around the size of a pencil eraser???? Holla! lol.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
hey chef, how goes it my friend?

found a few online sources for M6x1.0 studs, offset center non-threaded portion:

first:

http://www.amazon.com/Car-Pak-M6-1-0...120800&sr=1-35

and another of a different type:

http://www.amazon.com/1-0-Thd-32mm-O...120977&sr=1-40

autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=129540_0_0_

good luck with everything man, i can't wait to hear the good news that it is done and running and amazing!!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
i vote for eraser size on the FIPG, dont want any boogers falling off and getting stuck anywhere impo'tant
Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM

Hey Dewit, thanks for stoppin in!

Yeah, I used quite a bit, but applied it evenly, last time....yet it still leaked, VERY slightly. Most important part is "inner side of pan from bolt holes"...... because mine leaked past, through the sealant soaked bolt....and voila, lil leakypoo! lol. Heck, last time I had it on a stand, and it still leaked! lol. I remember the hands getting really tired trying to get that just right and straight, then get those 400 BOLTS IN! lol. Oh well, starting over this time. Of course, the cover, now that was a SERIOUS leak.... would have only gotten worse, ya know?(tbsp. every couple minutes ) You can only put so much before the bolts wont even thread in,...they're so friggen short! lol. But, you should have ENOUGH, just not too much. I guess ppl say, "WTH IS A MODERATE BEAD? is there a diagram for said bead? 8MM or so?" lol.. Sometimes, they're done slopily and NEVER leak, ...others, perfectly to specs and they leak like pigs. I tell ya, ....variables suck, Dewit! lol.

Thanks for the links.... I already have it in snug now... it worked out ok. Got the studs I have in 5 turns with some lock tite.....WILL be fine! lol. I WILL order some, though...but Autozone, ...yeah, that's the one place I didn't stop by. HOWEVER, they're phasing out there 'in store drawers', if you haven't been in lately. Kragen/oreily is even worse! lol. I guess I shoulda kept at it, eh? lol. Thanks again, I'll order them so I have them next time I need a water pump. I have an Aisin this time, so it should outlast the 6MO LIVED NAPA ONE! grrrrrrrrr! LOL. How about the 1 MONTH LIVED STEERING PUMP???? Geesh, I need to have someone else with better luck go purchase it for me, ...maybe the Murphy's law board wont know it's for me, ...thus, it will work, ....RIGHT? HAHAHA.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Well, the cover is on, everything went seemingly swimmingly..... yes, seemingly, UNTIL, lol... I was torquing down the top right bolt(4crawler says 2 3/4" bolt?).... and at around 10lb's it's not tightening any further. I'm going to investigate, but as you can imagine, ...I'm not too thrilled if it's a stripped out hole in the block. It's like a lil nub on the back side. I'll get pics, later, gotta eat something and feed them, lol.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to hear thing are going together well....seemingly, lol. Even if that bolt hole is stripped it shouldn't be too hard to heli-coil it, however much I doubt it is. Maybe you will get lucky and it is just the bolt. The block is cast iron so the threads should be pretty tough, too tough for that little timing cover bolt to strip I would think. Good luck Mark, I'm sure you will get it whipped soon and be back in business.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Hey Rob, ......glad there's someone left here! hahahahaha. JK, and actually, I wouldn't blame anyone, ...it's depressing! lol.

Anyway, I didn't have time last night, and to be honest, ..... I WOULDA BROKE SUMPIN! hehe... But I'm going to pull the bolt. Also, it's not a tiny one, it's a M10 bolt, one of the bigger ones with a 14MM Hex Head. ALSO, lol, it's that top right one, which, if you look at yours, .....yeah, it leaves you with two things. 1. The distance between the entrance of the bolt hole to the actual threaded area of the block is around 2" or more. And, #2.) The threaded area is VERY short...it's like, as I said, "A NUB", lol.

Just hoping I don't have to drill on anything, Rob, because the long channel of timing cover that the bolt has to go through?... yep, I think that the drill'n there is a bit more sensitive than, say, through the exhaust flange? hahaha.

THANK YOU, Rob, for the well wishin... I can really use that right now. lol.

PS> seeing that the timing cover channel is kinda long for this one......and that the timing cover would still be on...how would I get the helicoil in there? I'd have to check to see if it would even fit, right? Anyway, first, I'll check out the bolt. Maybe I could just tap it out and get a tiny bit longer bolt, ..not sure.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I'm still here.

don't know what to say about that bolt though. You didn't get them mixed up did you? did you use my (patent pending) pizza box template??
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 AM

Hahaha... Yeah, Jerry, I used the 4Crawler print out on top of a, well, Box Top Template.

Gonna go out in 5 and take a look at the bolt, mull over what options I have, etc., etc., lol.

Thanks for stoppin in!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Well, one good bit of news.... fedex dropped my dealerdirectparts.com order off....... all the under car part stuffs.... So, NOW, I'm ready to go, period! WOW, these LCA and UCA arm bushings are REALLY quality compared to some of the ones i held in my hands that were aftermarket.... YAY, ...now back to the drama! hahaha. See you guys later, thanks for the rootin on!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread