86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
PS> NO UPS! grrrr! lol. Oh well, it's ok... give me more time to plan it out, and at this point.....WHAT THE HECK SHOULD I HURRY FOR, EH? lol. I think sometimes when they rebuild entire motors in a day.... or two, .....they forget things, especially if it's a motor they don't do every day.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
mine had stuff in it too....figured it was just goo
So, when you tore down your motor, took the cover off, turned the crank....oil came out the side/behind of the tensioner, Jerry? Just to be clear....I'm not talking about a new tensioner, I'm talking about the one still attached from when it was built. Sorry for being anal, just want to be SURE I'm understood, lol.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
nope still normal, that would be leftover oil in the tensioner. STOP being so paranoid. Don't make me come out there. haha.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> NO UPS! grrrr! lol. Oh well, it's ok... give me more time to plan it out, and at this point.....WHAT THE HECK SHOULD I HURRY FOR, EH? lol. I think sometimes when they rebuild entire motors in a day.... or two, .....they forget things, especially if it's a motor they don't do every day.
Hey, hey, hey!!! Watcha talking bout!

So, when you tore down your motor, took the cover off, turned the crank....oil came out the side/behind of the tensioner, Jerry? Just to be clear....I'm not talking about a new tensioner, I'm talking about the one still attached from when it was built. Sorry for being anal, just want to be SURE I'm understood, lol.
I think it does ooze a wee bit...It's been a while since I had my timing cover off but I think its alright.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm not sure on that Mark because I don't recall purposefully cranking the motor at that point or at least don't recall anything coming from the tensioner at that point. it had thick / sludgy almost like packing grease stuff behind it.

I wouldn't fret at that part Mark....maybe email Ted to be perfectly clear on the inner working (pun intended) of the tensioner, but I believe you need not worry a hair on your head.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Thanks guys, and I'M NOT BEING PARANOID! lol. .... Sorry if it seems that way, haha.

I spoke to Grego,...really nice guy! Thanks for the offer, Greg, and I'll let you know, k?

I'ma go see "The Machinist" right now...I NEED A BREAK! lol.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:11 PM

you mean your machinist or the movie "The Mechanic" ?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
using the words "machinist" and "break" in the same sentence make me fear for the "machinist's" safety
Old 02-03-2011, 09:40 PM

I'ma go see "The Machinist" right now...I NEED A BREAK! lol.
HOLY CRAPOLI!!!! HAHAHAHAHA.... I can't believe I typed that. Talk about being a bit too focused on something, eh? hahahaha. Wow, that really cracked me up.... Honestly, that was a total typo, guys. I actually read Brandon's message, below this>>>... and then on to Jerry's, and it suddenly hit me to look back at "wth are they talking about? I just saw the Mechanic, ....already said that", hahaha.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
you mean your machinist or the movie "The Mechanic" ?
Hhaahahhaa, just made me laugh again, reading it this time. WOW, ... yes, the Mechanic, and it was actually decent. I like Ben Foster a lot... and I like Statham in things like "Chaos" or the first couple Transporters.... But that third one, ....oh, and the "In the Name of the King"????????? STANKFEST! Lol. It was very much like the first one, same story, with Charles Bronson and Jan-Michael Vincent.... CLASSIC! lol. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068931/

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
using the words "machinist" and "break" in the same sentence make me fear for the "machinist's" safety
Aw c'monnn, you know I'm not like that! lol.... I know, you're kiddin.

It was really good to get out and see a flick, ....needed that! lol.

BTW, ......The Machinist, with Christian Bale?.....INSANE movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/ .... I really liked it. But, something about that guy, while I like his acting....he REALLY get's too into his roles. I dare you to watch that movie and not find yourself holding back your bile after you see him at 114#! To go from Mens Fitness Man of the Year, 3 or 4 times, to up and down for parts like that... INSANE! lol. He was REALLY really good in "The Fighter", too. Didn't think I'd like that movie, but it was very good.

PS> Sure hope my luck over the last year doesn't continue on with this delivery I'm expecting! hahahaha...Jk, I don't believe in luck. But still.... C'MONNNNNNNNNNNNN UPS! LOL.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-03-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
As we speak it is 1:53 am and my phone decided to oh so kindly let me know that chefyota posted on a thread I was subscribed to. Now I have spent the last 20 minutes surfing yotatech on my cell phone when I've got work in the morning...I'm addicted, what can I say haha.
So come onnnnn UPS. He's hungry for some parts!!! And I'm hungry for sleep haha. Peace yall. I'm off to count gearing ratios...I mean sheep.....
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bojangles
As we speak it is 1:53 am and my phone decided to oh so kindly let me know that chefyota posted on a thread I was subscribed to. Now I have spent the last 20 minutes surfing yotatech on my cell phone when I've got work in the morning...I'm addicted, what can I say haha.
So come onnnnn UPS. He's hungry for some parts!!! And I'm hungry for sleep haha. Peace yall. I'm off to count gearing ratios...I mean sheep.....
Hahahaha,......man, now that's some serious Yotatechy'Jones! lol. Sorry it woke ya, lol.

YES, C'MON UPS, USPS, WHATEVER! lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm waiting on UPS also. According to the tracking number my shocks should have been delivered yesterday??
Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Ok, so, I've cleaned up the pan-to-block surface of the pan, inside the pan, timing cover surface of the block, gonna have a brand new timing cover, .........but I'm noticing something.... I have some spare timing cover gaskets, and when I place them on the holding pin and try to push them flat on the block.....the gasket is bowing a lil because something at the HG area is not letting it come all the way up. WTH? lol.

I've tried cleaning the bottom of the head gasket up a lil, VERY CAREFULLY, but it just feels VERY FLAT there, ...like nothing is in the way! I bring this up, guys, because I am a lil concerned that the gasket will kink up or something. It does appear black near the head/HG surface underneath.... but again, it feels so level, I can't imagine it's enough FIPG to stop me from getting the gasket to lay flat on the surface of the front of the block without binding up and bowing like it is. Mind you, it's NOT bowing as in "a 1/4" of gasket that will kink",...but it's noticeable....and it's on both sides!

Wondering what you guys think that is. I will take better close up pics of that area at the top, where the top of the gasket is supposed to sit against the block/right up to the head gasket.... but wondering if anyone has had this problem or if anyone has a thoughts on why it's doing this?

Edit, just saw that, Rob,....hope you get your shocks, today!!!! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-04-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah, i've had a few bad experiences with ups. everything from theft to damage. i don't use them any more, and try not to buy from places that only use 'em
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Bumpity? Post 1273#^^^ lol. I'm only asking in a kinda urgent way because, well, I should have everything, today.... and if I'm missing something(can't see what, the pan isn't even there to get in the way, lol)..then I'd like to know. Thanks guys, in advance!

PS> I hear ya, Ian,.......but it's hit and miss for me. FedEx has taken 12 days on a 7 Day Max rate,....damaged stuff too. Then, well, USPS, ..YEAH, NUFF SAID! lol. I guess I've had enough things go absolutely wrong for me, this past year, that I thought it was just me! lol.... I didn't get a tracking number from engnbldr...don't think I did last time, so I'm assuming they send it USPS, ....cuz they don't offer tracking on basic flat rate shipping, right? Ahhhhhh, whatever, it'll be here when it's here, NOTHING I say or twitch on is going to make it faster, hahaha.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Check to see if the gasket ever so slightly sticks over the top of the timing cover...I bet that might be it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 AM

Ok Lumpy, thanks.... but question, ....'IS IT SUPPOSED TO?" LOL. Thing is, I have 2 sets, (OEM and Rock)....they both are doing the same thing. So, if it's just that, can I shave off 1/64" or so until I have it lay flat? Good thing that, with this new set coming from engnbldr, I'll have 3 timing cover gasket kits, eh? hahahaha.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM

My personal opinion...I think it should be flush...As I recall mine is right flush and not sticking over. If it did then you would not get a good seal, or walrus as it be.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Any idea why it's obstructed by the HG? I know the gaskets are right, as the OEM and the Rock are exactly the same length, bottom of gasket to top. So, you think it'd be ok to just shave a micrometer at a time until it sits plum?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:51 AM

I remember mine doing that as well. I shaved off the top once I got the cover on and before I put the head back on. If it's just slightly short meaning you shaved a tad too much off, remember rtv goes in those corners anyway.

EDIT: of course mine was way off because I had the block and timing cover shaved down .010 as well.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread