86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahaha.......... I got'r'done, homie! lol
Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 PM

Welp, thanks to XXX slappin me upside the head with some info/perspective..... I got'r'done to this point.........

That includes repairing BOTH EXHAUST STUDS! Yes, I know I mentioned it above with big red letters! lol..... let me revel, PLEASE, LET ME REVEL IN THE GOODNESS! Lol.

This is a video explanation of some of the timing cover, etc., stuffs.........

And THIS, BELOW, is a video of a question I have on the Cruise Control..... ANYONE know what might be wrong with em most often?.......Video of what I'm asking....

Thanks for ANY input you guys might have. If you see something or hear anything that makes you say, 'HOLY CRAP, HE'D BETTER NOT DO IT THAT WAY'.... pleaseeeeeeee, STOP AND TELL ME, OK? lol.

Mark
Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise control? Whats that?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Cruise control? Whats that?
Seriously?....that's your input to help me through this? hahahahah. Jk, ....yeah, I know, ...and it's never had Cruise Control as long as I've owned it, lol....But I do trips about 4 times a year at least 300 and often 600 miles.... and I'm sorry, but if I don't have to hold the pedal down for 80 Mile straight aways,......yeah, call me KOOKY, I know! lol Heck, Bo, I use it on the CRV all the time, ....... You know, to keep my lead foot from getting me in trouble! hahaha. Actually, it's just nice to have, period. Come to think of it....my Cressida had it and it never worked, either....WHAT'S UP with that, Yota? lol.

So, Bo, ....whatcha think about All this?(the timing cover pull?) I don't mind my thread being a "what I would do is" type of thing.... I actually think it's helpful, lol.

How you been, anyway, Bo?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-30-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Seriously?....that's your input to help me through this? hahahahah. Jk, ....yeah, I know, ...and it's never had Cruise Control as long as I've owned it, lol....But I do trips about 4 times a year at least 300 and often 600 miles.... and I'm sorry, but if I don't have to hold the pedal down for 80 Mile straight aways,......yeah, call me KOOKY, I know! lol Heck, Bo,, ...I used it on the CRV all the time, ....... You know, to keep my lead foot from getting me in trouble! hahaha.

So, Bo, ....whatcha think about All this? I don't mind my thread being a "what I would do is" type of thing.... I actually think it's helpful, lol.

How you been, anyway, Bo?
Im doing pretty good bubba, Trying to stay busy on the truck and at work at the same time.
Check out the recent stuff ive done in the thread.
Im in the process of painting my truck

Man i hate to tell you this, but i really have no idea...
Never having personally worked on cruise control, i dont have any experience in it.
Neither my 87 Toyota nor my 94 Toyota came with CC.
So im used to driving 2 or 3 hour trips with my foot falling asleep haha.

But i really hope you get it fixed soon. Everything looks amazing.
And hopefully one day my motor will be as clean and purddyy as yours

Goodluck!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
yup, no cruise for me either sorry bud. Just in my BMW. Have no clue how that works either lol.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
yup, no cruise for me either sorry bud. Just in my BMW. Have no clue how that works either lol.

Woah woah woah. A beamer?

Fancy stuff right there. Haha.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:14 AM

hehe yup. running a little funny, but at 245K miles and less than $2500 total into it including $500 billy HD shocks and a brand new cooling system and the entire front suspension practically rebuilt, I can't complain too much.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Hahaha, ... Yeah Bo, I will check it out... thought I was subscribed, ...but I'm not getting notified. Hmmmmm. Actually, I'm talking about "info or advice on swapping out the timing cover w/out pulling the head" type stuff.... you know, the other video, lol.

As you can see by the first video, I'm pretty much there, aside from dropping the pan, etc. I have a guy telling me he did it without doing either. I'm hoping he'll chime in here. I think maybe he just dropped the pan a LIL bit, lol. I think it would be too risky of tweeking the HG or something or messing up the timing cover gasket while shoe-horning it in there, ya know?

What should I be removing/working on next, Brandon, Bo, Rob, Joe, Billy Bob, Peggy Sue, Jimmy Dean????????? lol.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Ahhhhhhh now i HAVE been there. Haha.

Once you loosen those oil pan bolts and drop that oil pan down a good inch or so it should come right out.
REMEMBER TO TAKE THE BOLT OUT THAT RUNS THROUGH THE HEAD INTO THE TOP OF THE TIMING CHAIN COVER UNDER THE CAMSHAFT GEAR IN THE LITTLE POOL OF OIL AND DO NOTTTT DROP IT IN THE TIMING CHAIN BOTTOMLESS PIT BY MISTAKE. Somehow it will make its way alllllll the way down to the oil pan and it sucks trying to get it out with a teloscopic magnet. Been there...done that.
Good luck
Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 AM

THANKS, Bo, ..that's what I meant, lol. Actually, though, I'm trying to weigh out all the options, and since I'm pretty concerned that the pan will leak once I drop it an inch and can't really seal it up properly.... I'm thinking maybe I should drop the pan out, completely.

Since you've 'BEEN HERE', lol, what did you do for the pan, to seal it back up when re-installing it? It's NOT leaking but a drop a day, now...but once I pull it down????? Hmmmm, lil worried there, lol. Any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Ahhhh see...
Mine was not leaking when i dropped it.
And the gasket was also fairly new so i just bolted it right back up and never had another problem.
If its already leaking, id probably go ahead and drop the pan to replace it if you want it done right. (Judging by your rig, you do everything right).

With all said and done it wouldn't be a whole lot more work to go the safe route and go ahead and replace that oil pan gasket.
I cant stand an oil leak!
Im dealing with one from the front of my valve cover now!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Hey Bo,

Yeah, to be honest, I'm not sure if the PAN is leaking, or if it's the timing cover leak, dripping on back. Plus, .....GASKET? 85 and up says, "NO GASKET, use only FIPK"... It's in my build a ways back, how I didn't see that TINY caption in the book.....and I could NOT get the gasket to stop bulging out the sides, lol. I mean, if I could clean it up a lil without dropping stuff in the pan, then coat a lil on the seam and all the bolts/nuts..... I MIGHT be ok.. just hate the thought of going through all that and having a leak! lol. Course, I hate, equally, the thought of DROPPING THIS PAN! lol.

The book is just SO VAGUE, .... and it doesn't really explain how to remove all the goodies down below before pulling out the pan. I guess I could just try to drop the pan as much as possible, ...then seal it back up as best as I can. Then, if it leaks a lil, I can either deal with it or drop the pan later. If it leaks a LOT?...well, then I'll have to lift the motor or drop the goodies, ...but I don't think I'd have to pull all the crap off that I am doing now, right? haha. So, yeah.... just a hard decision as I'm alone on this job and I've not done it...YET, lol.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Ya know...if i remember correctly you dont have to pull the motor or anything to drop that oil pan.
Now if it was stock height then that would be different, But on both of my lifted trucks i could drop the pan without pulling the motor.

Also im not 100% sure what your talking about with FIPK, if thats like RTV gasket sealent then maybe thats what it calls for.
I know both of my toyotas (87 and 94) had oil pan gaskets if i remember correctly.

I think i would go ahead and bite the bullet and deal with that oil pan while you have it off (or partially off) because you would hate to put the motor back together, get down the road 30 miles and notice a small drip under the truck, AGAIN. Ya know?

I over think things way to much though haha. So its up to you.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Ya know...if i remember correctly you dont have to pull the motor or anything to drop that oil pan.
Now if it was stock height then that would be different, But on both of my lifted trucks i could drop the pan without pulling the motor.

Also im not 100% sure what your talking about with FIPK, if thats like RTV gasket sealent then maybe thats what it calls for.
I know both of my toyotas (87 and 94) had oil pan gaskets if i remember correctly.

I think i would go ahead and bite the bullet and deal with that oil pan while you have it off (or partially off) because you would hate to put the motor back together, get down the road 30 miles and notice a small drip under the truck, AGAIN. Ya know?

I over think things way to much though haha. So its up to you.
It is stock height, Bo, lol... I haven't installed the lift and all new bushings, shocks, etc., just yet. I can't, now, until I restore all this stuff to 'no leaks' and running, to boot, so I can get it over to the shop with the Auto-Lift where we're installing the IFS restoration and lift.

FIPK is the Form In Place Gasket that I believe is OEM or specific for the particular job, ...but short version, "it's RTV type stuff", and from every thing I've read, FSM and Haynes even, they say 85' and after require NO GASKET, "use FIPK" etc., etc., lol. The gasket I tried to use kept bulging out, no matter what I did. Guess it's just not formed for that, but if it worked for ya, I hear ya.

Far as 'dealin w/it while I'm going through all this'.... I agree. Even though it's more, much more to do, ...it's worth the piece of mind, ya know?

Next post will be an update, pics, etc.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:14 PM

BUMPITY-BUMP? lol...... lil help on some 'just to be sure' questions.... Video

A pic of the crossmember, steering centerlink, etc.....

What exactly do I remove(according to the book) to get the pan out clean? lol. It says "Support frame, loosen diff.'s rear mounting bolts, remove cross member and drop idler(Pitman?) with steering out of the way to get the pan out"..... Sound right? Well, do I remove those 4 bolts in the pic to remove the cross member? I can't see how the diff can lower otherwise, right? lol. (Think you said this, XXX, sorry man...just don't wanna remove things that are REALLY tuff to get back in place, lol)
Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 PM

well that diff is tough to get back in with just one person. Again when I put mine up the engine was still out and I was able to strattle the axle and yank up on it while the girlfriend guided it into the front mount and slid the bolt in. I didn't have a hydraulic jack at the time I did it either.

ba, yeah you can do all that crap but it will come out.

Take the front driveshaft out first.

3 bolts on the diff/axle assembly. take the two side ones out before removing the center that's on the crossmember. DO NOT lay under the axle or anywhere near the pinion flange.

It will be safer if you put the hydraulic jack under the pinion flange after taking the front driveshaft out. But it;s still gonna slide a bit..

I'm on two poker table now playing online so bare with me lol.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Sent you a PM, XXX.... Sorry man, I just need "HEY, THIS IS THE BOLT, RIGHT HERE" type instructions. hahaha. I'm trying to learn, ...promise, once I do it'll be BURNED into my skull! lol.

As I said in the video...... I just don't see any way to do this right without removing the pan. I would think IT WOULD DEFINITELY leak, at least a lil more, if not massive! lol. There's just too many spots where I couldn't possibly get a tool in to clean, etc., and once it's down, even an inch....well, that's it.

Also, just to clarify... not sure about anyone elses bolts,...but ALL of mine are no more than 1/2" of thread, which isn't even including the gasket stuff and pan,...so maybe 3/8" of thread get's up in there(to cover and block).
Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 PM

do these help? circled are two of the bolts to drop the diff. The other one is right in the front of the diff.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:46 PM

oh yeah and all that oil you see there is from the oil leak I had when I wasn't careful putting the timing cover on and pinched that small portion of the head gasket between the head and timing cover.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread