86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
glad to hear that you sound like your experience turned out well at this point.

as someone who knows ALOT about customer service and the ripple effect that an "unhappy customer" can have, let me tell you, most places, my place included, will move mountains to get an amicable resolution. there are some places that could give a rat's patootie about concerns because they are gonna get business no matter what......but a small percentage at a time of unhappy customers telling their friends or family about their bad experiences will add up eventually.

good customer service seems to be more common-place nowadays I feel. as everyone vies for their slice of the pie, it is vitally important to retain customers......even if it's for durable products like you are talking about or services like what I am involved in......both are of the "you probably won't need us again....but if you do, we hope you come back". like in my job, we don't want anyone to be sick or injured, but with other hospitals and other choices out there we need any experience they have with us to be professional and appropriate and exceed their predetermined expectations.......I could go on and on about our place and the way I do things there but I think you get the idea.

years ago, we were buying a vehicle, our "van" was parked about 100ft away, our baby (our 9yr old now) was with us and the salesman asked us if we wanted to take it for a test drive....and i said i needed to get our car-seat....he said, oh wait, i'm parked closer, we could use mine.....and he went out, installed his and away we went......he didn't have to do that, it was not so far away for me to get our seat, but it was an inconvenience for me to do so. his demeanor, no pressure sales approach, car seat help offer and overall fantastic customer service sold us on that vehicle......he probably could have sold us a bicycle that day. but that's the kinda stuff that keeps people coming back. i "reported" him to the national MAZDA customer service hotline even though I know that good feedback rarely gets back to the workers but bad feedback almost immediately does.

OK....I kinda derailed you, but it was all in the keeping in the line of customer service.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Chef, I read the whole thread and I must say I admire your attention to detail and patience. That is one of the cleanest engine bays I have seen in 4wd. Have you ever seen a wire tuck done on a tuner car? Not really practical for 4wd trucks but so bad ass looking. Nice job. I look forward to seeing more mods as they come.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, Benny, talking about patience, ....you must have some, brudda, to read through both mine and Brian's threads! hahaha. Thanks, man, I'm honored. Nope, haven't seen a wire tuck done on a tuner car, lol. However, I saw so many hoopty wiring jobs done, throughout the last couple years, whether 4x4 lights, radios, etc..... I mean, HIDEOUS stuff, hahaha.... that, well, I decided, .."Since I'm really meticulous about pretty much everything, ....I guess this shouldn't be any different, lol. I decided not to take the short way out on most things, I guess you could say(BOY, ESPECIALLY on SOME things, eh? hahaha).

Welcome to Yotatech, Benny, you seem like a nice guy.

Mark
Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
glad to hear that you sound like your experience turned out well at this point.

as someone who knows ALOT about customer service and the ripple effect that an "unhappy customer" can have, let me tell you, most places, my place included, will move mountains to get an amicable resolution. there are some places that could give a rat's patootie about concerns because they are gonna get business no matter what......but a small percentage at a time of unhappy customers telling their friends or family about their bad experiences will add up eventually.

good customer service seems to be more common-place nowadays I feel. as everyone vies for their slice of the pie, it is vitally important to retain customers......even if it's for durable products like you are talking about or services like what I am involved in......both are of the "you probably won't need us again....but if you do, we hope you come back". like in my job, we don't want anyone to be sick or injured, but with other hospitals and other choices out there we need any experience they have with us to be professional and appropriate and exceed their predetermined expectations.......I could go on and on about our place and the way I do things there but I think you get the idea.

years ago, we were buying a vehicle, our "van" was parked about 100ft away, our baby (our 9yr old now) was with us and the salesman asked us if we wanted to take it for a test drive....and i said i needed to get our car-seat....he said, oh wait, i'm parked closer, we could use mine.....and he went out, installed his and away we went......he didn't have to do that, it was not so far away for me to get our seat, but it was an inconvenience for me to do so. his demeanor, no pressure sales approach, car seat help offer and overall fantastic customer service sold us on that vehicle......he probably could have sold us a bicycle that day. but that's the kinda stuff that keeps people coming back. i "reported" him to the national MAZDA customer service hotline even though I know that good feedback rarely gets back to the workers but bad feedback almost immediately does.

OK....I kinda derailed you, but it was all in the keeping in the line of customer service.
Nope, you didn't derail me, Jerry.... in fact, THANKS, so much, for taking the time to read it and weigh in. It's A HUGE time killer, too, the "customer service angle", ...when it's bad, anyway. And, well, I can't speak for anyone, ....but I WEIGH MY TIME AS VERY PRECIOUS, EVERY BREATH! lol. So yeah, I'm REALLY glad it all worked out. Thanks for the input, Jerry... very, VERY much the truth, straight out! Only other thing I'd add is that, when buying something that might as well be a turd with wheels, ...I REALLY appreciate a salesperson telling me, straight out, 'Yeah,.....NO', LOL. Many times, they could have sold me this or that, but they steered me, not always more expensive in route, to something more practical for me. THAT is what also pushes me toward a 'buy'.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:01 PM

UPDATE:

Ok, well, ARB called me this morning, just to be sure that they had my address right, billing info, etc., which Rocky Road had already taken. They held back the order till the later pick up just to be sure. But Jeff, VERY helpful guy, had the stuff on the dock, ready to ship, all day. I guess that's why I got a weird blurp email from UPS this morn., lol. Anywhoo, it's in the mail, as they say, WOOT!

Second update is that, regarding my install and restoration of my IFS...... it looks as if it's ON possibly Monday or Tuesday next week. Most of you know OF the guy that's going to help me.... I tried to help as much as I could with his 4runner. I'll just let him chime in whenever he wants, as I'm not sure he wants every Cali member shooting him messages asking "HELP ME INSTALL THIS" hahaha.

So, hopefully Monday or Tuesday;

INSTALLATION OF;

1. All new LCA Bushings
2. All new upper and lower Ball joints
3. 4Crawler BJ Spacers and Sway bar Drop kit
4. All new sway bar Bushings(if I can find them in time)
5. New Front OME600072 SPORT Shocks and OMESD33 Steering Damper

IN THE FUTURE:

* I'd like to do Heimed Ends and Idler Arm Brace/Support

On a side note, something weird happened today. While washing my hood during a carwash, I sprayed over the power antenna with it THE TRUCK OFF, ....and it suddenly went up, all by itself! Later, it went back down, but when I got home, trying to turn off the key and watch.....IT DIDN'T GO DOWN AGAIN! Holy crapoli.... maybe this is one of those examples of a VERY strange thing that only seems to happen to me! lol. I did all the wiring as you can see.... clean and proper, ....grrr! haahaha. Any thoughts on that one???????????

Mark

PS> THANKS A LOT, guys, once again, for all your chiming in and help throughout the last several months..... COULD NOT have done it without you ALL! Ok, some of you, probably, but that's besides the point! HAHAHA. Night4NOW!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM

well mark Im not gonna lie and tell ya I read your whole thread but I did try and catch the high points the biggest being that you have a very very clean runner I look foward to reading more about it.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 PM

Thanks, very much, Jason! I appreciate the compliment. It's a work in progress that's nearly there(There meaning, "Where I'll leave it for the next several years", haha).

I'm really psyched about doing the IFS Restore asap! Can't wait to wheel the Sierras and AZ POST HASTE! HAHAHA.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 PM

I just dream of hearing mine run again lol
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM

I'll say a prayer, Jason! lol. You have a thread I could maybe try to throw a couple cents change into?

I uploaded my Cell phone pics, FINALLY, and thought I'd share a few, lol.......

>
>
>
Saw this bad boy while parked outside Kelly's Coffee and Fudge....

A trip to Long Beach, CA, coming back over the Vincent St. Thomas Bridge......

Some other rides I saw, ....CLEANEST Kharman Ghia I've seen in DAYZ! A Heep that was actually REALLY, ...well, seemingly well thought out... And, the Toyota, he gave me a thumbs up, but I didn't get my cell-cam up in time! lol....... I really like that color when it's clean...

Then, just some shots I took of my Ruby-Red(AKA Roja) lol..... while running around for work, etc....

DANG, I can't wait to get her front end up a lil and all freshened up. Still kinda freaked out from that Random-Self-Erecting Antenna Incident! hahaha. Now it wont go down, either. GRRR! My Radio is working, so it's not a fuse in the stereo, .....i think the thing just took a "I DON'T WANNA WORK FOR A WHILE CUZ YOU GOT ME WET" crap! lol.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 PM

cant help ya with the antenna gremlin but it might be funny to see what people would do when they walk by and it goes up or down with no one inside lol
Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 PM

Hahaha...didn't think of that! lol. Weirdest part of it, Jason? ....>>> THE KEYS WERE OUT! The thing is wired to only operate with IGN power to the system. ??????????? ????????
Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 PM

UPDATE:

Went to pick up the LCA Bushings in Santa Monica(bout 26 Miles) and WOULDN'T YOU KNOW, they're not the right ones! GRRRR! DANG, I'd really love a break on one of these things, lol. They were from AST, which after reading up a bit sound like good quality products... but they're all Poly except for the pivot cylinder in the middle, .....and even that didn't have a flanged/tappered end on it(to keep it inside the bushing... Meaning, I could just take it out of either side of the bushing). Shoulda got pics, but I was just too ticked.

Then,.....I drove home with an accident on the 405 South, and it took 2 hours to get back to my turn off...... 14 Miles! AHHHHHHHHH! lol. Oh well, I guess I know now why the AST ones were 33$ a piece, not 120 a pair like the Moog's or OEM ones.

CAN ANYONE just point me to a place that they think might have a good deal on some either OEM or heavy duty LCA Bushings that are QUALITY(meaning, that will last another 20+ years!?!?!? lol)

Thanks in advance... I'd really hate to pay full price cuz I just can't be sure what I'm getting(well, full price minus 20% at the dealer).

PS> Dealer price I can get is 69$ each
......dealerdirectonline.com is 49$ for OEM

AND ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION! LOL.....

* When I call Dealerdirect, they say "Toyota is not listing the rear(toward the driver) LCA bushing as available...Only the front(toward the front bumper) LCA bushing comes up. The weird thing is, whenever I look up aftermarket ones, they ALL are listed as the same part number, front or rear, either side! The dealer direct guy said, "I think that's because the alignment adjustment heat is on the rear one, not the front."....................

WTH??????

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-21-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about Energy Suspension bushings...
http://www.google.com/search?q=energ...&client=safari
Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
I've heard nothing but good things about Energy Suspension bushings...
http://www.google.com/search?q=energ...&client=safari
x2, but got to think about pros and cons to them. polyurethane vs rubber

Poly bushings are known to squeak especially when the assembly lube wears off, which is easy on a trial driven truck. Although they "improve" handling, it does so by stiffening it up. Especially the control arm and sway bar bushings. So the trade of here is better road manners at the expense of a cushy ride.

Chef doesn't sound like a harsh er ride type of guy so I figured I would throw that out there.

here is a very good article and is 4runner specific which gen I don't know but.... No mention of the CA bushings though.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...ber-18641.html
Old 01-22-2011, 05:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I would go with rubber bushings mark.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Junk, B, YotaRoberto.... THANKS!

Yeah, this is really ALMOST bringing me to wish I'd just saved and gone SAS! lol. It seems so much easier to maintain, ....BUT, then again....that can turn into HUGE costs. I'd personally rather just find an 81-85 or SAS's rig and restore it over time. YET AGAIN, hahaha.... the IFS is what I have, and I just feel like I would regret it if I went through EVERYTHING I'm replacing, .......then didn't do the bushings. I don't think they're completely falling apart, ...my ride is pretty nice, just sloppy on the dips and parking lot bumps(or off road when it suddenly drops out on one side(mostly the left). I get a bit of a 'KERPLUNK' at times, when coming down too fast say after a bump or steep driveway, etc. ....make any sense at all? Most people tell me that's the BJ's and shocks, most often, making 'KERPLUNKITY' sounds, lol. Engine stuff is so straight forward, .....and this just seems to be so riddled with variables and options.... GRRR! lol.

Most people tell me, "Go in and do all that and then not replace the bushings?????".... but most of them haven't done them, hahaha. I guess it REALLY IS worth it, ....after all, they're not meant to last more than 24 years, right? Although...I have ridden in ones that are as old as mine and SMOOTH, yet hadn't done the LCA or UCA bushings.

That's the other thing... am I making a mistake if I only do the LCA's and not the UCA's? DANGIT! lol.

If I do them, I will do OEM.... I'm tired of wondering, etc., ...."SQUEAK FACTOR IS RELEVANT!" HAHAHA. Mine lasted, as I said, at least 24 years, and heck, they might still be ok, for all I know! lol. But for how long, I know. haha.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM

OK, HELP, GUYS, ................PLEASE???? hahaha. Let me prime you with some pics, that you might help me decide, once and for all, "WHAT TO DO about the Bushings!!!!" lol.

THIS IS THE LCA/rear side of Rear Bushing.........

This is the UCA/Rear or Rear bushing(end of Torsion Bar)...Not sure if it's frayed or just grease and dust-combo, lol....

.......... Yeah, and then this just topped my day off as I was rolling out from under the car and my leg just BRUSHED the Header down pipe.......

C'mon, I know you guys like pictures, so there ya go, hahaha... whatcha think? ... and you know I'm just messing around, right? I would never complain on a play off day about not having any responses, lol. I'd be grateful though, asap, k? lol.

Oh, and I got a couple good ones of the truck yesterday, while running around for kitchen supplies(got a new Messermeister 10" Chefs Knife, High end, for 45$!!! STEAL, trust me, lol).

First, here's the Angeles Crest, yesterday, CALLING ME, "please, get up here, Mark, ..... we miss you!" hahaha.....

Then, SHOPPING CENTER & Driveway WHEELIN! C'mon, you all have to do it too! hahahaha....

Oh, and what the heck,.....YOTATECH FTW! Lol.....

Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 PM

Bumpity? lol......... Thoughts, anyone??^^^^^^^

Thanks guys, in advance, ..... and I hope y'all had a good day watching football and chillin..... or working while watching on the laptop like me! lol. Packers-Bears game was really entertaining, actually.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 AM

if you are there why not , I would not buy any super duper bushing maybe moog or whatever local jobber stocks. If doing upper get new torsion bar adjuster bolts or start pb blastering them now. a couple more $ and a couple more hours.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:10 AM

if you where here you would have had long pants on and no burn 10 degrees yesterday

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread