86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Dang Mark! I guess no biggie about the windshield, but you had me sweating a little reading down your post. When I read "it was not an accident" I though, hope the motor is OK! At least the glass company is going to make it right. Have a good one!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahaha! Sorry bout that. Of course, I have a few other things to do, on top of the IFS, which would be,

1. Flush the Heater Core(LORD, PLEASE let that be sufficient!?!?!) Andddd, Install replacement Heater Core Switching Valve off that 91 while I'm at it!(can't wait)
2. Power Bleed/flush Brake System/master. Possibly replace the Master if it's just past it's prime.
3. Get a freak'n Alarm in this thing!!!! lol.
4. Locate and solve leak(which I'm pretty sure is Trans Fluid from Main Trans Seal leak). Might have a small oil leak as well, and DEFINITELY have a leak from the threads of the coolant temp gauge sender.
5. Voltage issue!!!!! Under any load it's dropping my idle at a street light, etc., around 100rpm. Grrr! hahaha.
I VERY MUCH want my heater to work....it's been in the low 40's and high 30's at night, and it's hard to get my Defroster to work properly when the air coming out is around 65 Degrees. I guess that should take priority........then the Voltage issue.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:36 PM

DANGGGGGGGGGG! I've not been able to find time to do ANYTHING!!!! lol.

Anyway, I'm going with the OME shocks and stabilizer, .... got all my ball joints and ordering the rest today. BUT, lol.... Looks like the use of the garage with the lift would be quite a while, so I'll just have to do this myself, dangit, lol. Maybe take a couple days, taking my time(don't have much choice, anyhow, on that end, lol)... and then, maybe I'll get some trips in this winter before my Snow Monkey Plan in the Hot Springs goes bust, lol.

Still not sure if I'd need the diff drop kit with just 1.5" bj spacers..... and it's not a cost thing... it's not expensive, really. Just not sure whether I should do it or not.

Anyway, hope you guys have a great New Year, and sorry for slacking so much.... I just haven't had time, lol. I'll get plenty of pics, asap, promise.

Take care,

Mark
Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chef , there should be no question about diff drop. You do not want to run axles at any greater angle than they are stock . with the drop you will change the driveshaft angle a small amount not enough to hurt those ujoints . the cv joints will bind mostly pass side ruin boots and joints . I did not want to on my 94 1 test ride ruined brand new cv boot, napa replaced them both free of charge . installed diff drop and payed extra attention to bump stop shimmed them with washers . With body jacked up and suspension drooping you will see the axle bind put a small jack under lower bj raise until no binding then add washers under upper bump stop to make this the lowest point suspension will droop.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 AM

I did not like the ifs after we did the build, but now that the 85 has had a total change over I appreciate the ifs alot more and I can see the beauty of this engineering.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=
Jk, but anyway, ....... Driving along, and suddenly, my daughter says, "Daddy..... your roof is leaking on me!" HOLY CRAPOLI, I thought.... then couldn't seem to find it. Eventually, she felt around and found it, ....it's MY BRAND NEW WINDSHIELD THEY INSTALLED LAST AUGUST, OEM GLASS, ......and the sealing they did is TERRIBLE! I'm not digging into this, not even though I got a GREAT deal.... THEY are fixing this, free, of course, on Monday. Of course, this sets me back on getting product I need for parties, etc., which I really need my truck for! AHHH! LOL.

[/quote]

what a PITA! I hate dealing with stupid little problems like that; my (2nd) windshield has been cracked for 5+ years and I know it's going to spiderweb anytime... I hate anyone besides me working on my rigs... but I know my windshield will be coming up soon for replacement too...

wouldn't you know, my truck is over 10yrs old and when I turn the fan on, my ears 'squeeze' with the extra pressure, no joke! now THATS a good seal! pretty amazing... that will be the true test to see if the glass place does a good job or not...

happy new year (almost)!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
chef , there should be no question about diff drop. You do not want to run axles at any greater angle than they are stock . with the drop you will change the driveshaft angle a small amount not enough to hurt those ujoints . the cv joints will bind mostly pass side ruin boots and joints . I did not want to on my 94 1 test ride ruined brand new cv boot, napa replaced them both free of charge . installed diff drop and payed extra attention to bump stop shimmed them with washers . With body jacked up and suspension drooping you will see the axle bind put a small jack under lower bj raise until no binding then add washers under upper bump stop to make this the lowest point suspension will droop.
Thanks, Mike....that's a good write up/explanation. I'll be sure to pay close attention to clearances and such. Almost everything crucial will be new up there, and don't want to be wasting stuff due to carelessness or improper planning! Hope you had a nice New Years Eve.

Originally Posted by aa1911
what a PITA! I hate dealing with stupid little problems like that; my (2nd) windshield has been cracked for 5+ years and I know it's going to spiderweb anytime... I hate anyone besides me working on my rigs... but I know my windshield will be coming up soon for replacement too...

wouldn't you know, my truck is over 10yrs old and when I turn the fan on, my ears 'squeeze' with the extra pressure, no joke! now THATS a good seal! pretty amazing... that will be the true test to see if the glass place does a good job or not...

happy new year (almost)!
Hmmm, interesting. Well, I hope you had a nice New Years Eve, too, and that you get that windshield fixed asap. Not too safe, and mine was cracked all the way across, which in calif,......that's a sure way to get pulled over, lol. I HATE GETTING PULLED OVER! lol.

I'm just trying to find time to do my front end, guys......really frustrating. I also need to deal with my heater, as my next trip will be in COLD areas. Also need to deal with my leaking exhaust(think a stud's stripped, GRRR). Also need to deal with my dropping idle under voltage load.(probably rewire the alternator wiring....I mean, if it's not that, I'm kinda lost at that point...done most everything else, ya know?). Anyway, my point is, ....lots to do and no time to do it.

Hope you're all doing well, and thanks for any opinions and input that you guys might have, yeah?

PS> OH YEAH....I PRAY that my heater core's not bust, lol. THAT WOULD REALLY stink! LOL.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 AM

My steering is loose by 3 inches and everything is still moving.. is my gear box busted?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pooseboy
My steering is loose by 3 inches and everything is still moving.. is my gear box busted?
First off welcome to Yotatech!
Could be the steering box, but first check every joint in the steering over. Tie rods, idler arm, steering column joints. Could be the rag joint right off the input shaft of the steering box. Have a buddy move the wheel back and forth while you crawl around and inspect for movement. If the input shaft of your steering box is moving but your output shaft isnt then it is your steering box. Hope this helps.

Last edited by GonOvr; 01-06-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pooseboy
Oh and next time try to keep tech questions in the tech forum here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f60/ that way your not hijacking threads. Granted Chef is a great guy and probably doesnt mind at all. This is a build thread for his vehicle. Not trying to bash ya or anything just trying to keep posts where they belong to keep things organized.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM

Hahaha.... Thanks, Gonovr! Actually, I just feel bad that I can't add anything useful. lol. But, I agree...... don't wanna get in that habit of highjacking, ...it only leads to bashing, lol.

Good luck, Poose.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Have you bought any shocks yet Chef? DO IT ALREADY! Do it NOW! lol
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Have you bought any shocks yet Chef? DO IT ALREADY! Do it NOW! lol
Haha i did that not to long ago, and surprisingly it didn't soften up my ride at all!
But what do you expect with our Go-carts i mean...Toyotas
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Hey Bo'J, ....just haven't had nor heard that personal experience from most.... regarding "didn't soften up the ride at all" part, lol. Course, ....that could depend on all the beef'n that's done as well, as well as how tight did one go with the T-bars, etc., right?

Anywhoooo,

GUYS, hey guys, ......I finally took the time to order my shocks, and now I will have EVERYTHING to lift the IFS and cush it out a lil while I'm at it. Ordered shock series>OME60072 for the front and Steer Shock as well. Shouldn't be too long, as they're in stock.

Now I have:

New Downey Mega Travel Upper OEM BJ's
New OEM Lower Bj's
1.5" Bj spacers from 4Crawler.com(Thanks, Roger)
Diff and Sway Drop Kit(Probably only be using the sway drop)
OME60072 Front Shocks
OME SD33 Steering Stabilizer

Anddddddd, I might be doing a Heim style rod ends set up and Idler Arm Brace as well. I also might be doing the bushings for the A-Arms, and I'm waiting on a call to see if I can have a buddies A-Arms that He's not gonna use, as he's gone LT. Figure, while doing most of the front end, I might wanna do A-arm bushings, ...... ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS? PLEASE, CHIME IN as to whether it's likely I'll need them, how to check as it sits, etc???

Thanks, Guys,

Mark

PS> OH YEAH, I'll have pics asap!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
You know it's mandatory you have at least 1 pic to a page of threads right chef? lol.

I have the time right now being laid off, but usually good deals come when I don't have the cash, or when it does and I do have the cash the weather doesn't cooperate. Kinda like this flatbed deal of mine. 2-3 inches of snow and 20-30 degrees outside. haha.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Hahahaha... Ok, well, I'll be taking measurement pics and such and testing out the bump stops, etc. Then, It's time to go to town. AND YES, don't I know it on the "broke when the deals hit" syndrome! IT'S MY LIFE! hahaha. S'all good, I can't complain, ...I'm blessed, regardless.

So, time off, eh? When you flying out to help me? hahaha.

Hope you had a nice Christmas and new year, everyone!

Mark
Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Brandon, You're right..... and because of your gentle nudge of "C'MONNNNNNN, WHERE'S THE PICS AND WORK?" HAHAHA.... jk... But no, really, I just got SO TIRED of not having heat.... so, here we go.........

LET THERE BE HEAT.......AND THERE WAS....AND IT WAS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! hahaha

Oh yeah, btw... In the video, I mentioned "It's not HOT-hot, but it's much better"...something like that. Well, I went to the store and back and IT IS COOKIN! lol. Hot enough that my fingers were tingling after only a couple minutes outside at around 50 degrees F. lol. YEAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-dQ6s1gMjo

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-10-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 AM

DANG, it's SOOOOOOOOOO NICE having a heater at 5am when it's chilly out! I know, it's not snowing and freezing, ...I feel bad for my buddies living in the mucho frio land! lol. But I'm still happy to have heat, hahaha. Like I said in the video, .... I'll be in the High Sierras, where it's VERY cold, and snow is very heavy, ......and I'll be jumping out of the hot springs into 15*F weather.... and you can BET DOLLARS TO DONUTS, ....MY TRUCK WILL BE RUNNING AND HEATER ON WHEN I GET OUT! hahaha.

PS> 1. I'll be posting a thread about this as it seems to be a common problem.
..... 2. I'll be doing my IFS refreshment and lift, hopefully soon(waiting on a buddy to have time so we can do it on the lift in his friends shop ), and I promise to have plenty of pics and video.

AC REFRESH with new o-rings and seals coming soon as well!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:45 AM

WOOT for a working heater!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
WOOT for a working heater!
Thanks, homie! Hey, do you think the video quality is ok? I was thinking of getting an actual video camera(not just for this stuff, you know what I mean)... and yet, if the Nikon Coolpix is working ok, I guess "why bother", is what I'm wondering, lol. After all, been spending quite a bit on the rig, lol.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread