86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, Bud! I like how it's coming together...and I love the lights, especially the price for them, alone(FREE! hahaha). I probably would have went with 6" something or another...but for free? Yeah, you know it! lol.

Have a great night, homie,

Mark
Old 11-24-2010, 03:17 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
looking REAL good Chef.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Chief, that's looks like some serious illumination! Where did you get that light bar from? I want to see if they make one for the 95.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
looking REAL good Chef.
Thanks, MUCH, Jerry! ALWAYS appreciate hearing from you, ....whether constructive criticism or kudos! lol... hope you're well!

Originally Posted by clocklaw
Hey Chief, that's looks like some serious illumination! Where did you get that light bar from? I want to see if they make one for the 95.
THEY ARE SO BRIGHT, C-Law! 8" Dick Cepeks. Regarding the bumper/grill guard with welded in light tabs... It's a Downey Off-Road leftover. I'm not sure if he still has any... I looked at the Procomp, etc., and they were REALLY cheesy and I wanted something that would actually protect my bumper and grill, lol.

If you look on ebay, his store name(the owner of Downey, Jim) is Tojo. It's somewhere in my thread here... I'll try to find it for you. They WILL fit an 86-95 Pick up or 4Runner.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:28 AM

Here's his site, Clocklaw, ....... http://stores.ebay.com/Tojo-Products

Unfortunately, his stuff is selling VERY FAST! I believe I got one of the last 3 Bumper/Grill Guards from him, and they were all gone, shortly thereafter.

Maybe an AOR or alike company has something similar? Sorry man.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Here's his site, Clocklaw, ....... http://stores.ebay.com/Tojo-Products

Unfortunately, his stuff is selling VERY FAST! I believe I got one of the last 3 Bumper/Grill Guards from him, and they were all gone, shortly thereafter.

Maybe an AOR or alike company has something similar? Sorry man.
Maybe if I could get some dimensions from you, the Wabbit could build me one? I like the look of it because I can keep my bumper.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
im still waiting for my bj spacer install pics chef!
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Old 11-25-2010, 06:56 AM

Hey Bobby! lol....

Yeah, how's it feel to want, ....yet have to wait, eh? hahaha. I KNOW, trust me.... But I'm waiting on those Fox 2.0's and for my buddy that's supplying them to trade me for my BFG's I just took off. But, I'll get pics of the brand new OEM Lower Ball Joints that showed up yesterday, k? Not today, I'm SLAMMED! lol.

Yesterday, I prepped for 40 People in one party and 20 for another..... from 4AM to 11P....then got up at 6AM today(got to sleep in cuz I preppededed lotso stuffs ) and I'll be serving some, as my Clients Grandson says, "POCKETS OF EXPLODING FLAVOR" TODAY! HAHAHA.

1. Candied Bourbon Yams
2. Gulliver's Creamed Corn(INSANE)
3. Hericovert Beans with Uncured Home Smoked Applewood Bacon & heavy cream Porcini sauce-
4. Fresh Cranberry, Gran Marnier, Orange Zest and Pippin Apple Relish
5. Mashed Potatoes made w/Heavy Cream and Plugra, + Fresh Shaved Nutmeg(JUST BARELY) and my own home grown Peppercorn Trilogy.
6. 2 Turkeys each place(One roasted upsidedown at 275* for a bit and one FRIED, BABY!)
7. Home made Sourdough Rolls, made with fresh grown German Rosemary and English Cheddar... And, Fresh Egg Rolls(like Kings Hawaiian)
8. Home Made Baguette Stuffing and Home Made Cornbread Stuffing
9. My prize winning Cheesecake with 3 Fresh Fruit Toppings, my Great Grammies Prize Winning Mile High Apple Pie with Carmel-Brandy Sauce and Home Made Vanilla Iced Cream, Pumpkin Pies I used to make for a well known (TV) Chef, at Encino Hills Terrace and Blackberry Pie
10. OH YEAH.... SOME SERIOUS GRAVIES! One with Giblets, one without! lol.

I wish you all a FANTASTIC Thanksgiving!

Mark
Old 11-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Guess WHAT I GOT for my Birthday? hahahaha......

Samsung 40" LED 1080P-120Hz HDTV!!!!!! FIRST TV I'VE BOUGHT SINCE 1998!!!! My Tube Orion was nice....but NO WAY could it touch this thing! Oh, btw....... 499$ OUT THE DOOR! HAHAHAHA! Man, it's great having friends at Best Buy!

Oh, and he UPS man pulled up Wednesday, with GUESS WHAT? ....ok, I'll tell ya! haha... A pair of OEM Lower BJ's that I got for 128$ total!

Wooot, woooot! LOL..... I'm almost ready to do the front end restore/refresh with 1.5" Spacers, Mega Travel Upper Ball Joints, Fox 2.0 High End Rebuildable Shocks,......maybe some bushings for the A-Arms from Japannnnnnnnn, too! lol.

Hey, what would you guys say would be the best movie to try out on this thing on DVD for the first Movie?....

1. Matrix 1, 2 or 3?
2. Star Wars, revenge of the Sith(sp?lol)
3. V for Vendetta?
4. Death Race? hahaha
5. Equilibrium? !!!!! lol.

I think one of those will help me to set up the color kinda custom with my guide in hand of course, hahaha. Just curious what you guys would watch first.(One thing I will be watching, couple days from now...... Cruz vs. >>>>>>>>>>>>>? (trivia for the day) hahaha.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
death race
Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 PM

HAHAH, funny TY!.....I couldn't find it, so I watched Quantum of Solace, instead.... ohhh Olga, Olga, Olga, lol. I actually have the new Death Race and Death Race 2000(I think it's 1970-something, Peter Fonda? lol... CRAZY movie for it's time, haha).

Now I'm watching Lord of the Rings Part 1...... it was on Showtime, so why not, eh? I'm passing out though.....so time to crash, I suppose. Pretty nice having tomorrow off, .....was thinking of seeing "Faster"....have a free ticket....might be stupid, but bleh, whatever, it's free. CAN'T WAIT for Tron though, ...serious flashback! haha.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Well, these came..............

But some actual not so good news,.... I will not be trading the BFG's for the Fox 2.0 Rebuildable Shocks. And, well, I can't afford them new, so I'm hunting.

The good news? I was saving the tires for the guy who wanted to trade....he changed his mind, which is fine..... And then, I posted the tires on the day before my BDay for "150$ on CL, firm"...... got a call an hour later, ....next morning, thereafter, the guy showed up on my BDAY and slapped 150$ in my hand... soooooooo, now I can get some other shocks, I guess.

This is where my question lies..... ANY IDEAS on shocks? I've heard SO MANY people say ES3000 Pro Comps are terrible....then others saying "I love em, don't know what they mean"......

Anyway, I wanna do this right, the first time, and I'll be getting the rest of the stuff I need from 4crawler, soon......so,..........

Which shocks and steering stablizer, IYHO's, would be the best bet for my fresh new front end? I'll worry about the rear, later, and I don't have to limit it to 150$, obviously. However, I would like the best deal for the money. I've heard OME are good, then other guys saying they're WAY too stiff...others, "too soft!".... Just confusion, man! lol. However, Bilsteins, I hear mostly good things. However, the ones I was told to get, 5100 Series, I've now been reading people saying "THEY'RE KIDNEY BUSTERS, WAY TOO HARD"..... so WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON, MAN? HAHAHAHA.

Any ideas?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i like my rs9000xl's, but that's just me
Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Thanks Ian!

Anyone else? I keep reading on almost every site, every thread, "It's either Bilsteins or OME's" Trying to read whether there is a 'Use this size' or part number for either one, taking a 1.5" BJ spacer, everything else stock, lift.

Bahhhh! lol.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I researched and research on the "best shock" for the front of my 87 4Runner. I decided on the Bilstein HD shocks, Part # F4-B46-1139-H1. Purchased them from ShocksWarehouse for $136 shipped. Have not received them. Bilsteins are on back order from Germany, but they should be arriving within a weekor so. I'll let you know how they perform. PO installed Gabriels mono-max (?). They're failing, so it's time.

From what I can remember (at work-can't locate my notes) the shocks should work well with the 1.5" BJ spacers. I decide don these since BJ spacers are in my future plans.

Until then......

Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 PM

THANKS, MARK! That's what I'm talking about......very informative and simply put, "Personal", due to research or experience. In your case, research, ...and I've been reading more and more that OME are good, but Bil's are just that much better on the comfort end. So, are those, the # you gave, 5100 series? I'll look it up, just wondering.

And, in your research, you realized you needed a lil longer shock due to your BJ spacer plan and went with these?(the # you posted?) Did you talk to them, too?

Thanks, Mark, ...........

Mark, hahaha.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 PM

PS> Mark, did you think about replacing the Steering Stablizer while in there? I'm going to do so(mine has leaked for a while), and wondered if you researched any on that, as well. If that one makes less difference, I might go with Skyjacker or Rancho or something like that.... but I think that length would be universal, right? So, I guess I could get the Bilstien one I saw for around 79$...........??? Guys? lol.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark,
No, the part number I gave you is NOT for the 5100 series. These are the Mono-Tube Gas Pressure Shock. My Runner is a DD, so I do not need any more shock than that.

With all of my reading/research, longer shocks are not required when installing the BJ spacers. Have spent much time on SDORI and 4Crawler's website. So that's why I went with a standard length shock. Shock manufacturer's recomend that you go to a longer shock when the vehicle is lifted 3 to 4 inches over stack height. I might be wrong, so correct me if I am.

I have not looked at replacing the steering stabilizer. Mine is not leaking. Since the purpose of a steering stabilizer is to dampen the steering system, any steering stabilizer should work well. They are just simple shock absorbers. IMHO.

My $0.02 worth.

Have a good one!

Mark
Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 AM

hey chef ! how is it going ? I was going to use procomp e3000 they were out of stock at the time from procomp went with there top shocks not much more money also procomp steering stabilizer . not a bad price and I was happy with the ride DO NOT FORGET TO ORDER SHOCKS FOR THE LIFT YOU ARE PUTTING IN . the stock shocks will not fit in front with bj spacers
Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
don't go with the procomps, I hate mine. Especially the steering stabilizer (cannot go lock to lock fully with mine). Yes I know how to follow directions it's installed properly. The stroke length on the shock is too short to go from lock to lock. Body also rubs. However if it were not for those facts the thing is great as far as what it was designed for. With all the pot holes in PA, I get very little bump steer from that stabilizer.

I have not confirmed but the stock height shocks also seem too short on the droop stoke . Especially in the rear.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-02-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread