86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks Clive, I appreciate your chiming in.

Ian, the top portion of the relay is just a cover... you can pop it off. I removed the 87(lights power wire) from the relay, put 12V to it, VOILA. Far as the 'pushed the thingy and the doohicky went on' part? hahahaha.... Actually... I think it is called the 'throw', is it not? "Single Pole, Double Throw?" or "Single Throw, double pole",...oh whatever, lol. What I mean is, when I pushed the lil arm over inside, making contact, ...VOILA, the lights went on.

The diagrams I got before, ...they said "86 is ground" ...not 85. Now I"m wondering if the ground and switch wires are crossed. So just to be clear... the power comes through 30, is relayed through 86, via the switch, then onward to 87? If that's the case, I could try switching them, ....just don't wanna blow anything up, ya know? hahahah.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by gonovr

Generic diagram but wiring is the same.
Turn the switch on and make sure you have power at 86, 30, and 87 with a DVOM or test light. If you have power then ensure you have a good ground to 85 (this is not the ground for the lights, the relay and lights must be grounded seperately). You must have constant battery power at 30 and switched power at 86. If you have power at 87 then its a bad harness to the lights or a bad ground at the lights or bad bulbs.
OOPS, GONOVR posted this diagram... THANK YOU, sir! lol. Ok, ......then the diagrams I got on page 33 of my thread here...they're wrong, just need to switch the 85 and 86 terminals? DANG I hope that does it. Has to, cuz, if I force contact inside the relay, the lights come on.

PS> My relay is a 5 PIN,...s'all they had where I was. Everything is connected properly, wiring wise, and soldered and heat shrunk in, routed properly, plenty of flex loom where needed, and hoop connector grounded to the cross member... Relay grounded to the pass. side firewall. I'll post pics of it all asap. Just have to load it off the camera, and I'm still cleaning up from serving them dinner......

THANKS AGAIN, Gonovr!

Mark
Old 11-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
OOPS, GONOVR posted this diagram... THANK YOU, sir! lol. Ok, ......then the diagrams I got on page 33 of my thread here...they're wrong, just need to switch the 85 and 86 terminals? DANG I hope that does it. Has to, cuz, if I force contact inside the relay, the lights come on.

PS> My relay is a 5 PIN,...s'all they had where I was. Everything is connected properly, wiring wise, and soldered and heat shrunk in, routed properly, plenty of flex loom where needed, and hoop connector grounded to the cross member... Relay grounded to the pass. side firewall. I'll post pics of it all asap. Just have to load it off the camera, and I'm still cleaning up from serving them dinner......

THANKS AGAIN, Gonovr!

Mark
No problem man! 4 or 5 pin it doesn't matter the circuit is the same. 87a is for sending battery power to another circuit or relay when that relay is off or open, actually it can be used for just about anything when that relay is off or open. Wire it like that diagram and you should be set!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks Clive, I appreciate your chiming in.

Ian, the top portion of the relay is just a cover... you can pop it off. I removed the 87(lights power wire) from the relay, put 12V to it, VOILA. Far as the 'pushed the thingy and the doohicky went on' part? hahahaha.... Actually... I think it is called the 'throw', is it not? "Single Pole, Double Throw?" or "Single Throw, double pole",...oh whatever, lol. What I mean is, when I pushed the lil arm over inside, making contact, ...VOILA, the lights went on.

The diagrams I got before, ...they said "86 is ground" ...not 85. Now I"m wondering if the ground and switch wires are crossed. So just to be clear... the power comes through 30, is relayed through 86, via the switch, then onward to 87? If that's the case, I could try switching them, ....just don't wanna blow anything up, ya know? hahahah.
Actually the power from 30 is relayed to 87, 86 energizes the relay and 85 is ground because every relay needs a ground. switch your 86 and 85 wires and the interal switch will operate like its supposed to. Your trying to energize the relay through the ground and relays dont like that hence why when you physically pushed the contact it fired the lights up.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:40 PM

Hey Gonovr, .....

Well, I tried switching them, nothing. I guess it's safe to say that the relay is getting juice, because... When I hooked it up like you said, but pulled the light-power-wire from 87 and touched it to 87A, the lights lit up. Not sure what's wrong, but let me explain how I did it all.........

1. I wired the 2 wires out of each light behind the bumper, grounded the grounds and joined the power wires for the lights and ran 10G from that soldered joining to the 87 Pin on the relay
2. I ran the ON pin on the switch to the 86 Pin on the relay
3. I ran the OFF pin on the switch to the fuse block in the driver kick panel(used the Ignition Fuse Hole w/ a fuse jumper connector)
4. I ran a good ground from 85 to the Firewall behind another ground.
5. I ran the HOT line from the positive terminal on the battery to the 30 Pin

I even switched the wires to opposite pins on the switch(the switch only has 2 pins), still nothing.

Not sure what could be wrong other than the switch is bad or something? I guess I'll have to take the switch to the engine bay and test it on the wires, direct, just to see if it's working. Or, run 12V to it and flip the switch, see if I get 12V out the other side?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 PM

pin 87a has power when the relay isnt ignited, so with the relay off you should have power at 30 and 87a. Sounds like your not getting power from the switch make sure your fuse isnt blown. If you dont have a test light, take the switch power wire ( supposed to be 86) and touch it to 87 when the switch is on. Just do this for a second you should see your lights come on. If they dont then you dont have switched power, also what fuse did you use? Some fuses are switched ignition meaning the key has to be in the run position to turn that circuit that your fuse is on.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Ok, I'll try that with the switch(86) wire to the 87 pin.... How can I put that connector to the 87 Pin if the lights are connected to 87? I guess I can try to pull it down a enough to try to push the switch(86) wire against the 87 pin.. I'll try, lol.

Also, far as the fuse, I used a inline 30A fuse about 6" from the battery. That wire runs from the battery, through the fuse, then to the 30 Pin.

I wouldn't think the switch was bad... It's a basic toggle ON/OFF switch. I tried it with the key on, as well, regarding that question. I have the OFF wire on the switch running to the fuse block where the EFI fuse is.... But I'm using the "ignition" fuse hole to jack into it with one of those fuse highjacker thingy's for power, lol. I posted a pic of it a page back... Post #888, bout half way down(It's called an "Add A Circuit"
Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Ok, I'll try that with the switch(86) wire to the 87 pin.... How can I put that connector to the 87 Pin if the lights are connected to 87? I guess I can try to pull it down a enough to try to push the switch(86) wire against the 87 pin.. I'll try, lol.

Also, far as the fuse, I used a inline 30A fuse about 6" from the battery. That wire runs from the battery, through the fuse, then to the 30 Pin.

I wouldn't think the switch was bad... It's a basic toggle ON/OFF switch. I tried it with the key on, as well, regarding that question. I have the OFF wire on the switch running to the fuse block where the EFI fuse is.... But I'm using the "ignition" fuse hole to jack into it with one of those fuse highjacker thingy's for power, lol. I posted a pic of it a page back... Post #888, bout half way down(It's called an "Add A Circuit"
EFI Fuse, Key has to be in the run position to send power to the switch. Another words turn the key on and you should have power to one terminal on your switch. Turn the switch on you then have power to your relay. Right now you dont have any power to the switch, im sure of it.

1. Key On
2. Switch On
3. No lights = no switched power from the fuse block, check wiring and all fuses again, ensure you have power to the switch its self.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 PM

That's where I jacked in, then straight from there to the OFF pin on the Switch. The other Pin is going to the 86 like you said..... I switched them, couple hours ago when I was trying that stuff out, lol. Here is some more pics of what I did..... don't laugh at me! lol, jk... "I did my bessssst", as Dane Cook says, lol.

Blocked off the 87A pin with this.......

And snugged it all up over there. You can see the relay on the right side and ground to the left of the starter relay and Injector resistor......

Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 PM

Put a fuse in the second slot of your add a circuit, that second fuse runs your external wire.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:37 PM

I went out and turned the ignition to the full on position.... Then I turned the switch to on, and I can't seem to find any voltage coming out of the switch. I'm going to test the wiring from the ignition fuse jack-in at the tip, where it plugs into the switch, to see if it's getting 12V with the key all the way on, dash lights lit up. It doesn't have to be actually running for power to be to that "Ignition 7.5A Fuse" where I jacked in, does it? I think I tested that, too. I'll check a few more things...but the wiring is solid, Gonovr, as well are the connectors, etc.

I'll try jacking in with the add-a-line to another fuse like the dome light.... that should be constant. Is it possible that the switch is just bad? First I'll let you know, right away, if I'm getting power from the fuse jack-in to the end of the connector.

THANKS, SO MUCH, GONOVR! I"m really in need of my truck this coming week, and I can't really take the lights off, now! lol. They're wired in, ya know? lol.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 PM

HOLY CRAPOLI! You're kidding! lol.... I"M ON IT! I'll go throw a fuse in there..... what, 10A? That add-a-line says "NO MORE THAN 10a FUSE ON THIS ADD-A-LINE"... See if I have one... THANKS, SO MUCH, MAN!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 PM

your just missing a fuse in your add a circuit man, it has to have two to work. hopefully you catch this before you get all crazy.
The following users liked this post:
yotarob2005 (11-22-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 09:55 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, 'CHOKES ON OWN TONGUE, LAUGHING AT SELF SO HARD',....HAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA!

THANK YOU, GONOVR, so much, man! I'm sure you know how difficult it is on Sunday to get any help... which I fully understand. FHEWWWWWWW, you saved my rump another several hours of scratching my goatie! hahahaha.

YES, the second fuse did the trick...and when I looked at that, I LAUGHED MY ARSE OFF, for 5 minutes! lol.... 'DERRRRRRRR, how can current get through if the dual pin fuse isn't there to complete the circuit, DORK!?!?!?!?!' LOL.

Seriously man, ..THANKS, for hanging in for a lil while and checking in... that's what makes this site great, and I just hope that my build and troubleshooting threads can help someone just like me, "A guy who is learning this all from scratch over the last 6 months! lol.

Hopefully my light covers will come in by TOMORROW! Otherwise, I'll have to put on some t-shirts or rotary 8" buffers to be CA legal......TRUST ME, in one block I'd get pulled over! lol... Just the way it is for me, at times. ESPECIALLY if I know something is illegal, lol. Being 8" lights, I BET they're a lil easier to see for the "BOYS", ya know? lol

Take care, Gonovr, ...I'ma get some pics. Maybe a Video. Be back later. OH, btw, I have to backspace every time I type your name... I keep tying "Govonr"...

PS> Is it snowing in Co. Springs right now?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 PM

Good man im glad it worked out for ya, one less problem to keep ya up at night. Now im going to go get some sleep myself. By the way it has been snowing off and on here. Not to much today though.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 PM

SWEET! Just did a video and it's uploading, ..... I know, ...you're already sleeping. hahaha.

I actually finished everything up around 5:30 or something?..but NO WORKY! LOL. So I came in, made dinner, came back out around 8.....couldn't fix! lol. What a RELIEF for it to be something so simple and to have this done, Gonovr..... I have only so much time... I can't really stay at it all day, ya know? HATE working like that, (bits and pieces, here and there),...but that's the way it is, and I'm GRATEFUL that I have any time at all to do it... and that I have a job, and that it's only down to 53* here... rather than -23* or something. I actually heat the garage during the winter if I'm out there, lol. Why not, right? VERY grateful, thanks again.

Brandon, Rob, Ian... Thank you too, guys! Anyone else who helped, too... I really learned a lot from this, and now, I can run another relay off this, for smaller lights, or something else, to another block, attached into the slide key on this one.....cuz it's got that 87A pin. Sweet! lol. Was thinking of powering my amp off it, once I get that all going down the road a bit. Probably May or so of next year.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 PM

Some videos of the lights working...

THANKS AGAIN, GUYS! I'll get some better video when I head out to my Pop's in early December. He's in Lake Havasu, AZ, and my Brother and I are going to wheel down to the Colorado River at night to fish for CAT, ASAP! hahaha.
The following users liked this post:
irab88 (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 04:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Good work Mark! Happy for you brother! Man in that video, those lights make a HUGE difference in light! Looks like you did a real clean and proper install to the T man. Sorry I was out all weekend, made a short wheeling trip with my local group, had a blast. I'll cross my fingers that your covers do in fact show up today.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dunnarunner
You guys sure spend a lot of money on these old vehicles. I have one interesting question for you, I am not trying to be smart or put you down, but do any of you think you get your money's worth out of the end product. I know I almost died when I found out how much mine cost me up to now. I couldn't afford to sell mine now. I admit that your vehicles are very nice to look at, and I like to see good work being done, sadly it gives me too many ideas at times.

Clive.
Originally Posted by space-junk
Well, with that attitude, why do anything? We dont buy these trucks and do to them what we do for resale... The car game is what it is... You wanna make money, you do cheap crap to flip it real quick... We mod our vehicles not because it'll look good on eBay or the craigslist add later on down the road but because the memories and experience we garner from it... For me it's about the memories shared, the cold beers drank, and the good times and laughter between friends that matter... Not money...
Hey Space, .....well said!

Sorry for the long answer. I know, many on this site can afford new cars and to mod them, then get another one like mine, and mod it! lol.... I can't, in good conscience, with all that is and might happen in the economy, go into ANY kind of debt, over a vehicle.... especially when, in reality, it cost me $1800.00 for the truck, I've put NOTHING into it up till June of this year, ...and now, I've put maybe 3 Grand into it, to nearly completely restore it....THAT'S LESS THAN A YEARS PAYMENTS, Homie! hahaa. Furthermore, I 'KNOW WHAT I HAVE', now, and for many years to come....If I just follow the 'recommended maintenance procedures'. Heck, even if I didn't, and only changed the oil, like last time....IT RAN 160k WITH THE SAME PLUGS, same O2, same EFI system, same sensors, same CAT, AND STILL passed smog every year for 8 years. I'm restoring a truck for less than 3G's, and I would bet dollars to donuts that it will out last MANY new cars and trucks that are coming off the line, this very weekend! lol.

THAT, to me, is 'why I spend money on these things'... And I understand, Dunna....it's a legitimate question you've asked. I can only give you a personal answer...and there it is.
Originally Posted by dunnarunner
Like I said I didn't mean to offend anyone, it is not my attitude towards people doing these things. take a look at my thread and you will see I am just as guilty of vehicle mods as you are, I was asked the same question in another forum and I got a bit hot under the collar as well at first, and just thought about it for a bit, saw I spent a whole lot of money on a vehicle I could never in a lifetime get back, and I am still spending money on it, and like you I have no regrets. It was just a thought. I bought my 1985 4 Runner for $4500.00 here in Australia 8 years ago, and I was startled to find that I have spent over $32,000.00 on it in mods and repairs, and I know what it is to have mates over to lend a hand. The comment was meant in a light hearted way, nothing serious. I have used the ideas from other members of other forums in my vehicle. Sorry if I have offend anyone.

Clive.
I know that I will never get my mod money back out of any of my trucks. Reason I bought and started building my 86 4runner is that I LOVE my 05 Tacoma, that I bought brand new off the lot in 05' and with low mileage (58k) and very few payments left (Jan 4, 2011 will pay it off----very excited about that!!) I wanted a project, but didn't want to go crazy with the Taco. After paying on this Tacoma for 5 years, I want to keep it for at least 5 more. I am a car guy at heart and must have something to tinker with at all times. I spent a few years carefully adding practical mods to the Taco, but know myself well enough to realize that if I didn't have something else to work on that my daily driver would get out of control. Long story short, I dump my money into my old 4runner for the love of the game, not as an investment.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 11-22-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:00 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
thanks govonr... i would've helped out, but that whole time-zone change thing made it late here

mark- wooooohoooooo... awesome. thanks for the videos. makes me wanna throw a light bar on and wire up the truck

so i guess the question now is:

what's next?

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread