86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man, haven't been on here in a while and I come to find you rolled it...

Sad day...

I'm sure the silver beauty will be even better!!

Get out there and get wrenchin!
Old 02-21-2014, 04:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I have to ask though... Are you rooting for making this one red two? Or are you saying you just like that name better? Lol.
None of the above, I just merged names as you are merging trucks. As for the color, sky's the limit. If she's anything like Ruby, she's gonna look good silver, red, green, purple, mauve, okay, not mauve, orange with hairs sticking out everywhere......

And good CL finds!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow Chef, you really aren't wasting ANY time with this resurrection!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RCYota
Nice score! Congrats!
WOOHOOOO! I was hoping that people would like it... Because no one wants to hear that infamous saying from the mother of "Carrie" White......." they're all gonna laugh at you, they're all gonna laugh at you, they're all gonna laugh at you!"..... Of course I do love the other line from that movie, where Margaret White tells her daughter, "Go change your top, I can see your dirty pillows!".... I think that one applies to Ruby pretty good! Hahaha

Originally Posted by RCYota
how much for the front and rear 3rd Members?
Hey man.... I am NOT 100% sure if I am parting with the rear 8". However, you are the first to ask. This thing was a freaking garage queen its whole life dude. So at least you would know they are probably in mint condition which I will find out when I pull them. Since I'm considering doing a v8 or at least a large motor swap, at some point,... I think it is paramount that I have some v6 3rd members..... Considering I'm SAS, it would only be one 3RD for me at this point. I am going to run the door code today to find out what gears they are.... ( by the way, I also want to go selectable in the rear, and I've been waiting to find a decent v6 third member 2 get done. Why don't you private message me and I will let you know pretty quick, k?)

Originally Posted by Zpd426
very nice!
Thank you Zach!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-21-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Oh man, haven't been on here in a while and I come to find you rolled it...

Sad day...

I'm sure the silver beauty will be even better!!

Get out there and get wrenchin!
YES SIR! Lol..... And good to hear from you man! I hope you're alright. Take care Brian!

Originally Posted by habanero
None of the above, I just merged names as you are merging trucks. As for the color, sky's the limit. If she's anything like Ruby, she's gonna look good silver, red, green, purple, mauve, okay, not mauve, orange with hairs sticking out everywhere......

And good CL finds!
Mauve! Lol.... Yeah, I think the most logical thing is just to leave it alone for now. Why I get into future expenses like that over something that is totally up non critical right now. Not to mention, its not that bad at all. It's just not as clean as Ruby as far as the paint. Toyota sure the hell knew what they were doing with those single-stage primary flat paints! I'm sure the silver when it was originally was cherry, but for some reason, they decided to not do something that they did to the flat colors. I see lots of blue ones and white ones, the paint still looks good..... original paint! Got red paint was original and that's one pretty sad thing for me... I really really learned to love that color and its look on how I had the truck set up. But it is what it is and its all that it is... So ima just get crackin knuckles and fingers, and carefully pull this girls proverbial dress off! Lol.

Thanks on the Craigslist comment. Do you like to talk? You have seen them before right? I seem to be really good quality. I will find out very soon!

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Wow Chef, you really aren't wasting ANY time with this resurrection!
Nope! Lol
Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
So, you going to start a new resurrection thread??!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
So, you going to start a new resurrection thread??!
I'm not sure. I suppose I should. I will just double post and put it on both. But it's a lot of work to get all the information and something as extensive as a body swap typed out. So, I'm going to document as best as I can with photos video. I have my Canon on a tripod on the ground Mart already so that I can do a time lapse super fast speed slideshow showings the silver one being strip down of her goodies. I also need to do a video and probably another thread for just the stuff that will be for sale. I don't want to be answering 100 questions on that thread about the restoration. I really probably don't want to do that on here as well. I just like to share with the people who are always around and who has been good friends to me... Give them first crack at it .
Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Got it. Well for sure can't wait to see her completed again. Definitely one of my favorite 4runners!!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:49 AM

LIL HELP? ;

I have a couple of questions. I will have the dash out I noticed that the passenger side took a pretty good blow against the dash and it's actually bent. I think it should all straightened out on to the straight firewall interior of a great one, once I pull the VIN plate and so forth... You know the metal substructure. But, one thing's for sure, this is starting to show that the cab was a lot more damage than I thought.....

1. Seems totally unrelated but I want to know while I am in there, what are some of the best four inch speakers I can find? My blog punk competition are pretty sick, but I'm going to run a 5 channel amp instead of the one I have in there now, so that I can apple pie my 4 inch and 6 by 9 and sub all at the same time... I figured this is a good time. That's all I need is those orange, and I would consider doing component, but I've read so many stories of them not living up to the hype. I was thinking just to stick with the Polk DXi .... What do you guys think? And what's a good amp but doesn't clip out? I will have a2 channel and 4 channel and a single channel for sale... They are all good apps, especially the Killer 2 channel amp that I have in there now running my sub. This is definitely part of my system that I wanna clean up. And considering the radio harness will be coming with me, it is definitely going to get cleaned up perfect and rewired in part. I wired the amp for power and everything else very cleanly. But some of the aftermarket stuff that was done to the original harness is a little screwy.

2. I have to move my alarm over... I was wondering if it would be best to try and leave it intact except for maybe the door release button wiring and so forth. Just pulled those and reinstall them. This don't her truck that I got has a base gain knob an alarm system was in there at some point. I don't know why they removed it or if they did, but the siren is under the hood and the indicator light is under the dash... I'll take a better look today.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM

Hey guys. Not sure if anyone up near Fresno would be interested, but I think it's a pretty decent price....

http://fresno.craigslist.org/pts/4322468400.html

+ ---> forget what I said about my rigs shell. One of the sliding windows is busted out. Bummer! I don't know why I didn't think of that but I really don't want to try and replace one of the sliding windows as I've seen people break one or two before they can get the third one in. So I suppose I will just sell the L trim and all of that stuff and maybe keep the seal. It never leaked so that's a good sign. Lol. I've had it off at least 20 times
Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I am using this and like it a bunch:
MRX-V60 - Alpine 5-Channel Subwoofer Amplifier
Infinity Reference 9633cf 6 x 9-Inch, 300-Watt High
Infinity Reference 3032cf 3.5-Inch, 75-watt

your front speakers are 3.5" not 4", but you could probably mod the 4"s to fit.

I do not have a sub installed ate moment, the 6x9s give good bass. When I do install a sub it will be a free-air(non-box) 8" in the bed side(out-of sight).

leave as much of ALL the wiring intact and connect ted to whatever you can, to swap over to other body. including the alarm system.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Are the V6 differs heavier built and interchangeable? Below is the codes I got from one of my boneyards.
Name:  codes1_zps407c7ed7.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  28.7 KB

Third set of digits on the firewall under the hood is gear code for first gen. 2nd gen is in the door.
Name:  sr51_zps021c282e.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  67.2 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-28-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Howdy Mark! Really sorry to hear about your roll, I know exactly what that's like. I have been keeping up with your progress over the years through the email notifications I get for new post in this thread and you sure have done a hell of a job with this truck. Just thought I would actually LOG IN and offer some condolences.

The silverback looks to be in great shape and I think you are doing the right thing by swapping the body onto Ruby. I regret ever patching my green 4runner back together after it rolled, it just turned out to be a wast of money as I was never satisfied with it again. Things are never the same after damage that extensive. I actually still have that rig but it is completely stripped and about to be run across the scales for scrap metal.

For what it's worth I really like that silver color, it would look amazing with some black factory SR5 stripes. How is the interior?

I'll try to check in on your progress more often, Good luck getting it all back together!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:43 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes v6 thirds are more stout and interchangeable with axle housings, but then he'd had to regear.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the pic's of the new rig, reminds of some kind of black ops recon mission.
Great find Mark, now for the easy stuff lol.
Glad your in one piece.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm doing well thanks for asking! You should check out my build thread on my 4Runner! Big things going on in there. I'd appreciate your input!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...runner-275789/
Old 02-21-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
LIL HELP? ;

I have a couple of questions. I will have the dash out I noticed that the passenger side took a pretty good blow against the dash and it's actually bent. I think it should all straightened out on to the straight firewall interior of a great one, once I pull the VIN plate and so forth... You know the metal substructure. But, one thing's for sure, this is starting to show that the cab was a lot more damage than I thought.....

1. Seems totally unrelated but I want to know while I am in there, what are some of the best four inch speakers I can find? My blog punk competition are pretty sick, but I'm going to run a 5 channel amp instead of the one I have in there now, so that I can apple pie my 4 inch and 6 by 9 and sub all at the same time... I figured this is a good time. That's all I need is those orange, and I would consider doing component, but I've read so many stories of them not living up to the hype. I was thinking just to stick with the Polk DXi .... What do you guys think? And what's a good amp but doesn't clip out? I will have a2 channel and 4 channel and a single channel for sale... They are all good apps, especially the Killer 2 channel amp that I have in there now running my sub. This is definitely part of my system that I wanna clean up. And considering the radio harness will be coming with me, it is definitely going to get cleaned up perfect and rewired in part. I wired the amp for power and everything else very cleanly. But some of the aftermarket stuff that was done to the original harness is a little screwy.

2. I have to move my alarm over... I was wondering if it would be best to try and leave it intact except for maybe the door release button wiring and so forth. Just pulled those and reinstall them. This don't her truck that I got has a base gain knob an alarm system was in there at some point. I don't know why they removed it or if they did, but the siren is under the hood and the indicator light is under the dash... I'll take a better look today.
I like the sound of Polk stuff personally. My buddy with the bronco II had a set up in his suburban with an alpine sub amp and head unit using the polk two way adjustable with separate tweeters i think. great sounding system even without having the speakers amped other than the head unit itself.

I have the alpine mono amp for my sub... whatever model is the highest thats not digital....

So the cab on ruby was pretty bad? Man you hit hard. That first hit on the passenger side was brutal.

Last edited by Zpd426; 02-21-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chef,

Sorry I wasn't able to make it up with Albert the other day but I am doing some Prep work for my Baja 250 trip next week. I swapped out the rear Billy's for some Fox piggy back bypass shocks and had to build a few things for the upper shock mount. I'll be posting some photos and information on my build thread a little later tonight. Anyway, Albert is a better mechanic when it comes to motor and tranny than I. Nice find on the donor 4 Runner! Build em like a parking lot princess and wheel them like a beater, Nice!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 PM

Thank you very much for the input guys! I have many many pictures, obviously for the sake of recollection... But I gotta say I am really shocked at how absolutely rust free this truck is!

So just for text, I did a flipagram for Instagram.... I did more than this today but this gives you an idea that I am NOT screwing around and I want to get this done fast! Properly, but as quickly as possible...

And here, you don't need to watch this whole video, but I did finally get a little bit of Zach(zd426) wheeling... I was leaving before Johnny got there when we went wheeling alone, so it was really hard to get any video of him... And I do believe I have a little bit more but I have to upload it after chopping it down a bit. In this video, you can just skip to around 4:30 and you will be shocked and amazed that I actually captured the elusive sasquatch on film!

This is where I left off on the dash.....

Name:  20140221_180354.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  3.51 MB

The rest...

Name:  20140221_160301.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  3.07 MB

Name:  20140221_155319.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  2.94 MB

Here is a picture of this motor and I will also post a video of it running and the truck moving on its own power. The transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt, but I'm not trying to sell that. I would really like to sell this entire motor all at once... It needs a knock sensor and pick tail and some shims work in the valve train.... But it has 0 leaks including the valve covers and it runs without overheating, starts on the second turn of the starter, idles a little high, brand new o2 sensor and it is a factory cat( I will likely keep that this time)..... The radiator I believe is brand new. Air conditioning needs to be charged.... Heater blows hot, all four levels of the blower motor work, all the ducts seem to be super clean. Its like it never was used. Tons of dash pieces available and likely everything else in there.... The motor &...

Name:  20140221_132114.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  2.54 MB

Name:  20140221_121957.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  2.91 MB

Name:  20140221_121937.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  3.02 MB

Name:  20140221_121916.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  2.97 MB

Name:  20140221_121332.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  3.08 MB

Name:  20140221_121252.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  2.98 MB

Name:  20140221_121230.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  3.36 MB

Name:  20140221_121212.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  2.98 MB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-21-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Score on the Silver Beauty. Its a beauty. Nice score on the soft top. Glad you found another rig.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread