86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to go Chef!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Awesome to see my homies bouncin for me! Lol.... Short and sweet, I love it! One thing's for dang sure,... This will not be short and sweet in many areas. But, it's all pretty straightforward and thankfully I don't have something with any body damage on it that will cause me fitment issues! More pics to come today!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Y'all, meet "Suzy-Q the Silverback"

Hey, Mark, I still have most of the plastic screw-on clips that go on bottom of windshield, as well as the chrome trims. All in decent shape except for the top trim that I wrinkled when removing. Let me know so I'll save then for you.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 02-20-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 AM

Another shot of Suzy-Q the Silverback! Lol... I will get more today but I have to move the Honda I have to go pick up something.

Name:  IMG_20140220_091109.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  1.47 MB
Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
she is pretty
Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, nice find! I really like the color! Can't wait to see the transformation begin!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM

YAY!!! Resurrection of the 4Runner. Seeing these post made my day lol Congrats on the find Chef
Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM

Haha, what is it with us first gen runner owners and dentists? Got great news for some jaw surgery, extraction and eventual implants today. Yay! =p
Old 02-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Suzy is..................wow beautiful.

She'll be even more beautiful as Suzy Redrum.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

Video Link: http://youtu.be/ekQtShe8954?t=24s

Hey, Mark, I still have most of the plastic screw-on clips that go on bottom of windshield, as well as the chrome trims. All in decent shape except for the top trim that I wrinkled when removing. Let me know so I'll save then for you.
Hmmm, I have the trim all around aside from the front driver fender and passenger side vertical piece and top passenger corner. I MIGHT still have most of them, but I know I bent 1 trying to get it out before I removed the broken windshield.... and I am pretty much positive that I bent the top one that goes from driver to passenger side. I have to get a better look, I might very well have the only piece I missing. I also kept all the clips that I could, so I may have all I need, but I need to check. Thanks buddy! The original windshield it is in perfect condition. The rear window as well. I'm going to update all of that in a minute. Thanks again buddy!

Originally Posted by Outsane
she is pretty
Hey brother, are you hitting on my new girl already? Lol. Thanks man!

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Wow, nice find! I really like the color! Can't wait to see the transformation begin!
Thanks a lot, Ed! I can't wait either! Hahaha

Originally Posted by 87hoerunner
YAY!!! Resurrection of the 4Runner. Seeing these post made my day lol Congrats on the find Chef
Right on! That's great to hear man... I'm glad other people are as excited as I am!

Originally Posted by diableri
Haha, what is it with us first gen runner owners and dentists? Got great news for some jaw surgery, extraction and eventual implants today. Yay! =p
Youch, sorry buddy!

Originally Posted by habanero
Suzy is..................wow beautiful.

She'll be even more beautiful as Suzy Redrum.
Oh wow, coming from someone as beautiful as you, that really means a lot! I have to ask though... Are you rooting for making this one red two? Or are you saying you just like that name better? Lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-20-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Well guys, I fortunately had the pleasure of some company today, somewhat of a guru in my humble opinion! Blaze land Nates buddy, Albert, came by and hung out for hours so that we could get an idea of what I'm dealing with with this motor that I will sell the rest for...

The 3VZE motor has the infamous 51 and 52 code. But it runs and other than needing a valve adjustment, I gotta say I am absolutely shocked that this motor does not leak a single drop anywhere! Albert can attest to that. We had it running for quite a while if never dropped a single drop on the ground. The tranny is automatic and it is toast.... It will move under its own power when it is totally cold... But probably not for long. The tires are in great shape and stock size on fairly clean aluminum sr5 rims.

Some of problems that I noticed: the lift tab on the tailgate to release and allow you to open the tailgate is gone. Literally the whole arm is gone that goes up into that hole. I can't tell you how many of those I've seen and could have grabbed. However, I'm willing to bet that a 2nd gen is very close to the same and I'm going to consider grabbing one from the yard so I can avoid having to reach in and unlock it manually now that I've removed the cover and inner cover on the tailgate. While we had that open we tricked the latches and rolled down the window while the tailgate was down and a larger dent that I had in the tailgate came out very clean. It basically popped right out where the badges that says Toyota 4runner. You can still see where it was pushed in but it's totally acceptable for now. Underneath that and just barely on the crease that runs from left to right, there is a tricky smaller dent that is so close to the corner that I can't really get at it. Albert literally stood on a step stool and put his foot in there and got it part of the way out... But it's just too strong near the bend to get it out completely. I'm not 100% sure that I will not use my entire red tail gate, which would avoid needing to do body work, which wouldn't be much at all, but would leave me with the red tail gate unless I fully painted it. Its in such a nice condition I just really don't know if I can stomach mutilating my red tail gate.... lol..... ( there is also a small dent in the drivers front fender. I believe if I remove the skirt I can probably push it out by hand. It might leave a blemish but it's better than a dent. Lol. We will see. I'm not really worried about it.......

I should have the entire interior removed tomorrow, minus the dash. I will work on part of the dash but I need to be able to do a video with the motor running so that I can sell it a little more easily.....

3VZE complete with all the bits and pieces and what seems to be cosmetically great condition and no leaks, little bit of a valve tick, with full engine harness and everything will be for sale most likely:

...For just a long block I can understand it not being worth very much, but considering its running and the only codes are related to the knock sensor, it might be worth it to someone who just can't afford to do a motor swap and knows how to do the work and really just needs one that's running for now. Plus, it will be sitting on the frame with nothing in its way . Nothing pricey, but if it's a fair price, I will sell the entire motor including engine harness and ECU( again, this motor doesn't leak a single drop not even from the valve covers and has all new plugs and new NGK wires .... The air box is in good condition and the o2 sensor is new,... Albert can tell you more about it but from what I remember him saying, as well as looking at the receipt, he noticed what I had said, that the motor looks really clean considering the age of 200,000 miles. I will post this on the classified ad) ...

I'm not sure what I would need FROM IT for the swap just yet, and I may keep a couple electronic elements, but I will likely keep nothing... Oh yeah, and it looks as though it's a brand new brake master cylinder. The transmission is no good, but the transfer case works perfectly fine.

I'm already a little bit of everything: nervous, anxious, excited,... A little overwhelmed, but I am going to freaking do this! We were so busy doing other stuff today, and pretty much laying out a plan of attack, that I didn't really get any more pictures. The back seats are fine and are actually, as far as lining up and so forth , in really tight shape. The front seat are the base model and the passenger seat is fine and the driver seat has a little peace the screwed up on the side where the vinyl portion is. But to be honest, these things are really freaking comfortable because they don't have any bolsters that are really aggressive! Lol. But I have no use for them. I will not be taking them apart just to give someone the cable on the passenger side seat, etcetera. I need to get the stuff out of here.

The headliner of the shell is completely removed, but otherwise the shell is in very good condition and all the glass is immaculate including even the back window which has no scratches at all. The back window rolls up very easily as well, and the tailgate shuts so perfectly... It's just such a trip to realize just how messed up mine was compared to this. It's also so perfectly lined up on all the lines of the body and the doors shut like it's a new truck. There is no play in the hinges and they literally shut but just barely pushing the door closed. Very impressed. Does have a gas door release, so that I can come with it. The console lid is not too great but it is the double console version, and the tray in front of it is the large one before the switches, it's all in pretty good shape. No moon roof,... And to be honest I can't even remember the last time I open that thing. I would rather have it than not, but I would imagine the strength is not quite the same as with a solid roof...? I will likely cut out my moonroof frame from my roof before letting it be hauled off. Honestly think if I wanted to do this as a mod and add the moon roof,... I think I could do it. I will not be cutting a hole in the roof so I will have to figure out another routing idea for my roof lights. I am thinking of running them out of the louvers or through the top off the b-pillar outer badge. There has to be a way to do that without destroying the thing.

Speaking of the roof... I haven't 100 decided which show to use. I would rather not do repairs on mine, which would be very minor, and then it would need to be rhino lined or painted( stick with black or maybe hammered black, or maybe matching silver?)... Nevertheless, if I do keep that that means I would have to mount my side rails on to this shell. I'm not looking forward to doing that over again but I gotta say, its very doable and I could do them permanently and more cleanly without the headliner in the way. And then make sure the bolts are flush and then do the headliner and only leave those little nubs sticking through. The problem with selling my show is that I would have to remove my side rails and it would then have holes in it... My headliner is actually not too bad and I could probably patch it to be acceptable... And with a little resin work, I don't think there is structurally really anything wrong with it...

I'm going to need a lot of help and guidance as to exactly where to start and then B-C-D through Z! Lol.... But thank you so much today to Albert, he really help me to get a better idea of a couple things.

PS: I don't believe the rock lights or on board air or CB or roof lights or sound system will really be much of a problem at all. The entire thing will be gutted and it should be fairly easy to mount everything cleanly. The engine harness is pretty straightforward and the rest of the wiring in the dash that will need to be removed is what will take me the most time. But, what I wanted to ask was whether anyone knew where to get a very high quality "Aisin/Or whatever it is" heater core for a reasonable price. I do not want to do this again so if I have to grab a Toyota one, or at least have the one that is in there now tested, I will do so... Mine is making sloshing noises and it just doesn't get really hot anymore and no matter how much I try to flush everything out it doesn't seem to work. Not like it should.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-20-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay I'm curious. Why wouldn't you just swap the stuff from ruby to the new runner. Thus being a perfect candidate for a 3.4 swap. Less work in one way too. I'm just curious tho. If you done went over this I apologize. You post incredibly long replies thus making it hard for me to read on a iphone 4... My words just start to blend together lol.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Okay I'm curious. Why wouldn't you just swap the stuff from ruby to the new runner. Thus being a perfect candidate for a 3.4 swap. Less work in one way too. I'm just curious tho. If you done went over this I apologize. You post incredibly long replies thus making it hard for me to read on a iphone 4... My words just start to blend together lol.
#1? .... cost. Really not wanting to do a full SAS on this DONOR truck. Also, I believe if I was going to go with a bigger better motor, I just can't see not doing the Lexus 4.0 v8..... It's lighter than the 3.4 and has I believe 50 more horsepower? I don't believe it's any wider either... I'm not positive on the dimensions, and to be honest, at this point, I think I'm just really lucky to have found a shell that I can use. I can always do the motor swap later without too much difficulty. I will have a much better understanding of the entire dash and wiring harness and what will be required. I'm just not prepared at this point with any parts or detailed write ups in hand, ready to go. I could do it if Johnny was available for more time... And it's not something I have 100% rULed out. I know that's a very common motor, but it's also hard to find around here in something reasonably priced. Most of the Tacomas & for runners are running into at least 3 grand. Then all of the adapter plates that I would need and so forth at this moment to link up to my dual cases, etc.... But this doesn't seem logical... As logical as it seems? Lol. I know that sounds funny but I think you know what I mean.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-20-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 PM

I completely understand. I had a 86 toyota back as a kid. I built it up pretty nice. I chopped a Chevy step side down for it and had it painted Harley Davidson orange. I got cocky and decided to put my Celica Dirt track engine in it. Produce closed to 200 hp with 22R engine. I was showing off one day and lost control hitting a back causing me to Roll. This was 2 weeks after finishing it. It totaled my truck. I pulled what I could off and sold it for scrap because funds wasn't available to rebuild another truck. So I know we're your coming from.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
I completely understand. I had a 86 toyota back as a kid. I built it up pretty nice. I chopped a Chevy step side down for it and had it painted Harley Davidson orange. I got cocky and decided to put my Celica Dirt track engine in it. Produce closed to 200 hp with 22R engine. I was showing off one day and lost control hitting a back causing me to Roll. This was 2 weeks after finishing it. It totaled my truck. I pulled what I could off and sold it for scrap because funds wasn't available to rebuild another truck. So I know we're your coming from.
Don't get me wrong, I could afford it, but I shouldn't. I just like to pace myself I think getting away with this and being able to actually make money on a body swap,... I think I should remain as frugal as possible. I probably have another hundred thousand this motor, and most people like JonnyBoy and redeth005 can tell you that for the 22re, this thing has tons of power. I mean, I just fully machined and build this thing custom around 15000 miles ago... And it runs like a raped ape for what it is. The only time I have any problems is on massive hills. And it actually did really well even fully loaded all the way up to Johnson Valley for the king of the hammers. On the trail and especially with those cases, it really doesn't need a dang thing. But still, I would love to have a fro throaty Lexus v8 purring in there someday. Even if I did do a swap right now, it would be on to my frame and to my already fully done SAS, so I would just need to find reasonably priced sc400 of the right here and then incorporate everything into the dash and so forth right now .
Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 PM

OKAY..... I just have to share this today. In the midst of finding this truck, just a few short hours ago really... I saw an ad and I just had to leave an email. The guy called me at 8 a.m. And said come on out and get it man...

Under $400 for a brand new in the box killer toy tops full top with single window....

Name:  Screenshot_2014-02-20-00-53-34.png
Views: 155
Size:  1.00 MB

I couldn't believe it... My luck with Craigslist is just horrible, but I did find a great deal on those tires and rims, actually two times... Then a long time later, I find this truck... And the very same evening, I find this top at really less than half of what it costs if I were to buy it directly from them. The receipt says he got it 3 months ago and he showed me a video of the day he first put it on and was driving around and he seized the motor! I felt bad for him, but it was good for me I guess.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM

Sweet score man... I been browsing CL all day trying to find my wife a new SUV of some sort. I did stumble onto a really nice 99 XJ that I may go look at tomorrow for her. Everything else I called about was either sold or no one answered me back.

By the way I did say WIFE and XJ meaning her jeep not mine.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 AM

Nice score! Congrats!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 AM

how much for the front and rear 3rd Members?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice!

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread