86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
http://s233.photobucket.com/user/ima...Hammers%202014

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-14-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:55 AM

I agree, Robb,.... You don't think a good EXO would protect you and your passenger? I know a full internal roll cage is very effective, Adam proves that. It's just that I've seen EXO cages do the same. I'm not as well read on that as you I'm sure... Share anything you want man, I'm always appreciative of the nuggets!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Mark- looks like your vids are set to private...
Old 02-14-2014, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Mark- looks like your vids are set to private...
Thanks Robb, fixed it
Old 02-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I agree, Robb,.... You don't think a good EXO would protect you and your passenger? I know a full internal roll cage is very effective, Adam proves that. It's just that I've seen EXO cages do the same. I'm not as well read on that as you I'm sure... Share anything you want man, I'm always appreciative of the nuggets!
An exo should do the same for passenger protection as an internal cage. Just differences in aesthetics.

I guess an internal gives some options for mounting harnesses, so that might be a plus in its favor for passenger protection, but it also has metal tubing hanging out in the cabin, waiting to get hit with body parts during an incident. Eh, it's probably all a wash.

Do what you want to do, either way!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
take your Christmas lights down, ya hippy!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by CamTom12

An exo should do the same for passenger protection as an internal cage. Just differences in aesthetics.

I guess an internal gives some options for mounting harnesses, so that might be a plus in its favor for passenger protection, but it also has metal tubing hanging out in the cabin, waiting to get hit with body parts during an incident. Eh, it's probably all a wash.

Do what you want to do, either way!
Always appreciate any input man!

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
take your Christmas lights down, ya hippy!
Haha, I did, yesterday.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Mark-
I guess the exo has to be done just right to suit my tastes, especially on a 1st gen 4runner. The majority of the exos I have seen on early 4runners just didn't do it for me lookswise due to the amount of tube.
Ruby just looked classy to me and I could not picture her looking like a jungle jim on an elementary school playground. This is just my opinion and I am.sure what ever route you go it will be fine.

That being said I have considered doing a hybrid exo or.partial exo where the cab is protected and some of the tube work runs under the front fenders and ties into the front bumper.

A big plus on an exo is that they don't suck up interior room.

Have you picked up your 3.4 donor truck yet for power?

Thanks for fixing the vids. ..I will watch them later tonight

Last edited by dropzone; 02-14-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Mark-
...Ruby just looked classy to me and I could not picture her looking like a jungle jim on an elementary school playground...
Agree in terms of street aesthetics.

For hardcore rock crawling that you guys do, structurally speaking, the Exo- because it would be attached to the frame- so it will protect both the occupants and the truck body. On the other hand, an internal cage would only protect the occupants. NI case of a roll-over, you'd be back to the same process- body repair.

Mark,
Go your picture message- yeah that mirror would probably work for Cory.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

now this is just a pic i found in a 4WD magazine, i have no clue who's truck it is and mean no disrespect whatsover to the owner but for my personal tastes, this exo just has too much tube. I am sure that it would do it's intended purpose though and protect the vehicle and occupants:
Name:  20140214_174239-1_zpsfmdvkvst.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  118.6 KB

i like the side bars on this one, how the cage was integrated over the rear section wouldn't work for you:
Name:  4RunnerEXOA_zps4a0a27d0.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  67.7 KB
Name:  4RunnerEXO_zpsab7f714f.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  64.1 KB
Just throwing these out as ideas..

tons of ideas in this thread which i am sure you have found..
Old 02-14-2014, 06:08 PM

Ive seen some awesome exo cages but you gotta do it right.

I love the video with the drop off, those were some big ol boulders!

I just watched them all on my dads 60" tv

Your camera/phone is really nice
Old 02-14-2014, 06:27 PM

i like the side bars on this one, how the cage was integrated over the rear section wouldn't work for you:

Just throwing these out as ideas..

tons of ideas in this thread which i am sure you have found..
I think this one's pretty tasteful for an exo... Looks nice. I like how you can still remove/install the top.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*snip*

I have to confess that I really like that entire truck. I don't have a lot of interest in this type of crawling (I'm more into the desert washboard stuff) but I do dig that.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 PM

Robb, Ray, Diableri.... Thanks for the input!

I've read many, and I have a buddy doing a dove thought now that would likely be doing my exo,.... if I do one. I DO intend to continue, and prefer, rock crawling.... I'm sure many are aware of how exhausting it can be over 8+hrs... As can Whoops and 100 miles of higher speeds.... But the latter? It's just too deadly/filled with too much ASSURED totalling of said rigs, by comparison, IMHO... 20 yes ago? DEFINITELY what I was doing, on either my 85 CR500 OR 160 MPH Mustang.... It's STILL fun, but I just don't have the desired to run that realm, full time, any longer, ya know?

Robb, I totally agree! I hate the thought of the jungle gym aspect on my girl... But, ...... It's now a very capable and being very much used crawler.....AND, while I may be a fairly cautious crawler that is not trying to "only flop once, max, a year".... It can very well happen, no matter how careful I am. My buddy in WYOMING, just the other day, cruising carefully up a trail, reached the other side of a 5ft diameter boulder,....And what happened? Well, if you guessed The Rock this large flip back and snapped his rear axle in half before flipping him on his driver side... You would be correct. ANY THING can happen. So, considering I want something safe, yet with a nice body... ; While it might seem the internal cage would be the way to go for me... I just really don't want to give up the room, nor run the risk of even another side flop that would lead to this type of carnage. It may not happen right away, and in which case I will just have to limit the risk that I take... But I think I can come up with something tasteful yet effective. I think I agree with you on that one being just too much.

I have a few I wanna post up from craigslist. 1 of them is really nice.......

Here is one for now...

Name:  Screenshot_2014-02-14-11-14-15.png
Views: 190
Size:  1.50 MB

I was thinking of starting another thread for this resurrection. What do you guys think? Or should I just keep it all here and go for 500 pages? Lol.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Fossilized
Staff

i think having a rebuild/resurrection/part II thread is a good idea.

the 4runner you pictured looks incomplete to me. It might be how the front bar extends out so far with out any real support on its route to the stinger..tubing looks to be kinked in a few spots
Name:  funkyexo_zpsd8ed2aa2.png
Views: 131
Size:  489.0 KB
Old 02-15-2014, 01:16 AM

Jonnyboy and I wheeling back of Turkey Claw....

Old 02-15-2014, 01:27 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
i think having a rebuild/resurrection/part II thread is a good idea.
the 4runner you pictured looks incomplete to me. It might be how the front bar extends out so far with out any real support on its route to the stinger..tubing looks to be kinked in a few spots
Agree. Both on Part II & the missing cage member.
I like that one. Does not look like jungle gym (LOL!), yet has the protection for both body and bodIES.
And unlike the one with bar penetrating the fender, it preserves the body. If attachment are all don to frame, I'd hope cage can be removed fairly easily so body remains stock.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
And unlike the one with bar penetrating the fender, it preserves the body.
One thing that attracts me to one that has the horizontal bars through the fender to the front bumper/stinger is that is preserves some visibililty.
with the exception of the dash/under windshield bar I really like this cage:
Name:  1stgenexoc_zpsfcc1c76e.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  75.8 KB.
I think it may be difficult to swap the windshield with this particular design
I may do some bed sliders similar to what he did

edit: just saw this one Mark from your KOH album..
Name:  20140207_101619.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  2.80 MB
actually not too bad

Last edited by dropzone; 02-15-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:09 AM

Okay guys,... Yesterday, I had very experienced Buddy Guy offering his time does he feel bad... He actually is going to come to my house, as I think I've mentioned. Some guy didn't show up yesterday and he wound up painting and couldn't get out of it, and by the time I got a hold of him a few hours later, I suggested maybe tomorrow would be better... He said yes. I'm about to call him, and I think I've already addressed all of my primary concerns... But I suppose the best thing to do its just 2 wait until a guy like this speaks. This will give me a much better idea of what I'm getting into and where exactly to cut and so forth. I also need some information as to how to approach the panels. Because I do not need to wait for Jonny to bring the panels, in order to get these ones off,... You know what I'm saying? I just need a quality weld removing bit.... Some instruction and I'm on it like a wet blanket! He may say its better to cut a couple sections away. The top and bottoms of them are perfectly fine... Only problem with that is that it can go wrong during cutting.

As I said, I will see what he says and go from there. He may even offer a bit of help from what I gathered. Again,... Wait and see.

I suppose I'm going to go through the process of how I tore it down, most likely later... I have a couple more things to remove and just other things that I needed to deal with the first place, like straightening the rear bumper mounting line up..... I have a few days free and I want to make the most of them.

Yeah, I really thought I had already posted that tan 4 runner, Robb.... I guess I'm getting mixed up between making an album Photobucket and posting them on Instagram... I have lots of pictures , including a bunch of proper line pictures of a 87 pick up at the yard. it might not help on the B pillars but it will definitely help call the hood line and such with the fenders and the line of the base of the windshield, etcetera. Take care guys, and thanks so much in advance for any help I might get here!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-15-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:46 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Chef, you want a spot weld bit like this Wurth bit:

You should also have an air chisel/hammer to help separate the sheet metal layers. If you want chat I can describe in more detail on how to separate body panels easier on the phone. Pm me and I'll send my digits if you are interested.

Be careful to only drill though the sheet metal being removed where possible. Also check out toyotafiberglass website for how to prep the truck for panel replacement. It's the same process I till they glue the fiberglass on.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread