86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a front right quarter and a front right door that would fit it. It sucks I'm in Georgia. I think I could ship the quarter pretty easy if you were willing to get it. I'll see what they cost and cut you a deal if you're interested. Anything else, let me know. I'll cut stuff off the extra truck I have and send it to you. I'll give great prices too since the shipping could get outrageous. How about a top? Got one for you ready to go. But seriously, if I was closer, I'd be on your doorstep with these parts. Hate to see such an incredible rig down no matter how long.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I know I've seen much worse myself, but trust me, it's quite a bit of bodywork and Chessie pulling that needs to be done in order for anything to line up again. Both inner fenders are pushed and, the passenger side is worse for sure, and I will put up some better pictures of the bed. Its pretty bad. The roof is history, because the substructure of the roof prevents proper pushing with certain tools and it would just be too much work to make it right when I have a donor tab in perfect condition with a moonroof already. It drives fine and all that, but I'll never get a windshield back in it the way it is and neither will I be able to get a passenger door on it to shut without pulling the chassis structure out just about where the upper door hinge goes and also the a-pillar.
You're about to make me cry.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Dang Mark, that's got to be the worst feeling ever! These trucks are a labor of love...or love of labor depending on which way you look at it. I would still be in tears and my wife would have to put me on anti-depressants if something like that happened to my truck! Good thing is that you crawled out unharmed - it's a lot easier to repair or replace a truck than it is you. If you weren't 3,000 miles away, I would certainly lend you a hand, but I will look forward to watching you bring it back to life. Just remember to try to keep it shiny side up next time. You might want to develop a parts list for everything you need so that we can help keep an eye out for parts that you might need. Good luck with revival!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Name:  20140211_124355.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  2.87 MB

Name:  20140211_124142.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  3.71 MB

Name:  20140211_124236.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  2.59 MB

Name:  20140211_124322.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  3.37 MB

I'm not sure what's up here but I think this in head work done to it by the regional owner. In fact I think the entire driver side rear panel is a replacement. There is no Ven tag on the door jam at all, and the door has markings on it where it has been replaced as well. 12 years and no issues, but hitting on it cause it to break free from that pinch weld or whatever the hell it is... And you can see words Creuset at the base of the a-pillar on the passenger side as compared to the driver side....

Name:  20140211_124247.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  2.91 MB

Name:  20140211_124302.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  2.34 MB

Name:  20140211_124219.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  3.02 MB

Name:  20140211_125318.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  2.67 MB

Name:  20140211_125412.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  2.87 MB

I remove the windshield by using Gorilla Tape and have to stretch flex sax templates, two on each side of the windshield, seal it off with Gorilla duct tape and pride the entire thing out all the way around. It was definitely a task....

Name:  IMG_20140212_172010.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  936.2 KB

At least one thing to be happy about, not a single scratch on the tailgate. Little bit of a fitness you on the upper corners .... But it may be fixable as far as the panels just to do cutouts and welding new patches. I think that's pretty much hopeless as far as the panels because of the shape of them. We will see....

Name:  20140211_124411.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  3.20 MB

Name:  IMG_20140212_172010.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  936.2 KB

I don't mean to be overly sensitive, Badger, but I'm standing right here looking at it and it's a little more serious than what you think( probably just too hard to see in the pictures. It was easier to see when it was dirty, but I had to clean it up in order to get accurate damage dimensions pictures for some people ). I wouldn't have stripped the entire truck down to the shell, in part, if this wasn't going to take some serious manipulation to get everything to fit right,.... if at all. At this point I'm really hoping I don't have to do a body swap... Again, we will see... But trust me, even if I just wanted to slap on doors fenders and hood, this is not a "˟˟˟˟lbuffout" type moment... I worked very hard at keeping this thing clean and rust free and spent probably a couple thousand hours doing modifications and repairs that would be a total nightmare to swap over to a new body... Not to mention the swap itself would be a total biatch. Also not forgetting to mention, it would mean I'd have to call itself is your MiFi could manage to swap the vins. Lol. But I WILL invoke the saying, "anything can be fixed with enough determination,... Except your life." ...We get one of those, and I'm grateful that I didn't bash my head into the ground as I slammed down on my driver side... I'm grateful that my windows were up on that one... I'm grateful that I was able to drive it home and not have to report this... I'm grateful it didn't happen on the highway doing 65 miles an hour. I'm grateful for many things, ....but I'm not happy about this. I know what I mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140212_172010.jpg (936.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM

jesus man, I am very happy to hear your alright, very upset about the truck. I am sure everything will work out in the end though.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 87blackbeauty
I've got a front right quarter and a front right door that would fit it. It sucks I'm in Georgia. I think I could ship the quarter pretty easy if you were willing to get it. I'll see what they cost and cut you a deal if you're interested. Anything else, let me know. I'll cut stuff off the extra truck I have and send it to you. I'll give great prices too since the shipping could get outrageous. How about a top? Got one for you ready to go. But seriously, if I was closer, I'd be on your doorstep with these parts. Hate to see such an incredible rig down no matter how long.
People often means different things by front right in front left. Can you just say driver or passenger? I really appreciate that man! I will talk to my buddy who might drive thru there when he hauls with his rig.... Maybe I wouldn't have to worry about shipping at all. Is it electric door? What year? Wing Window? From a 4runner? And I probably do need a shell. I'm going to find out most likely today or tomorrow.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-13-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local yard didn't have anything for you, Did you ask Nate about that toyota yard? I know there is one somewhat local.

Man that was a scary moment. Let me know if you need an extra hand.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 246 Likes on 184 Posts
well crap, feel for you brother it's gonna be back to wonderful in no time!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I dont know of any aftermarket parts that are good, I use the factory ones that are used and they are hard to find. I have had to scrap fenders that look good but the tabs that hold the inner fenders on can be rusty. Check those inner fender tabs before buying used fenders.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4

People often means different things by front right in front left. Can you just say driver or passenger? I really appreciate that man! I will talk to my buddy who might drive thru there when he hauls with his rig.... Maybe I wouldn't have to worry about shipping at all. Is it electric door? What year? Wing Window? From a 4runner? And I probably do need a shell. I'm going to find out most likely today or tomorrow.
Passenger front fender. The door is manual but it is a wing window design. If your motor is undamaged it would swap straight in I believe. I'll look it up for you. I would offer you the whole body but the front rad support has to be either replaced or pulled out some. The truck was in a low speed collision with a tree. And the other downside is that all parts are unpainted. But like I said, I'll cut you a deal, especially if you get several pieces. But if you only got a few, it'll still be cheap. Guaranteed. And I'm on the I-16 area of GA. If your buddy comes this way that is.

Edit:
If you're interested I'll go get some current pics for you. It's been sitting a while, but in GA rust is not too much of a concern. None gas built on it from my recollection anyway. If it has, I'll sand it back and see if it's surface or not. I wouldn't offer you anything that isn't in really good condition. The passenger fender is in my shed though. It's in fine condition.

Last edited by 87blackbeauty; 02-13-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
What about toyota fiberglass fenders? Also what's the plan: find a clean body and swap it onto your chassis? I have faith you will get this back in order soon!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Hey buddy! I've been keeping tabs on Instagram but not on here. Once again, I'm glad you're alright! When I read your story I gasped the same I did when mine was rolled. I'm glad you're able to keep yours, with lots of work obviously, but still glad you're okay! I feel kind of guilty because just before that I made a comment to you about your tire being on the roof and adding weight up top.. I wont make anymore comments like that haha. Like someone previously mentioned, I'm glad everything else is alright and that you were able to drive it home! It's sad to see but I guess that is just a part of wheelin Take care man!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef....
She's totally fixable man. Go back and read my thread on the ole 93. I brought that thing from a totaled parts truck to a beautiful daily driver is just a few months on a poor mans income.
The top will have to be replaced. That's not too bad tho. I've replaced pickup tops but not a runner. Is have to say a runner would be much easier. If you do a straight cut at the bottom the pillars then at the back, all ya gotta do it price it back making nice welds.
In my 93 build thread I replaced my whole front clip including the inner fenders. I done it by my self in just a few hours. I can walk you through that process if needed.
All the body panels including the rear section are spot welded together. Once the welds are drilled out you just pop them off. This includes fighting with the seam sealer. That stuff can be hard to break apart. Some spots you may have to cut with a cut off wheel to remove.
You may wanna contact Corey. There fiberglass seams to be pretty nice. Hell he may give you a deal of a life time on doing all the work for you. Shipping it up might be costly tho. Worth checking into tho.
I can get you factory parts here at WV but I don't know how shipping would go. Just let me know and I will try my hardest to help you any way possible.
Any man that drives a Toyota is a brother of mine.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zpd426
My local yard didn't have anything for you, Did you ask Nate about that toyota yard? I know there is one somewhat local.

Man that was a scary moment. Let me know if you need an extra hand.
Will do buddy! I'm very well might need a hand in the near future to put it all back together. I am really overwhelmed by all the damn parts of the doors. Lol.

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
well crap, feel for you brother it's gonna be back to wonderful in no time!!!
Thanks Homie!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I dont know of any aftermarket parts that are good, I use the factory ones that are used and they are hard to find. I have had to scrap fenders that look good but the tabs that hold the inner fenders on can be rusty. Check those inner fender tabs before buying used fenders.
I hear ya! And thanks a lot for the info! So are you saying that you pretty much heard nothing but bad things about aftermarket stuff? I have a friend that runs a dismantler business and he said he doesn't have that stuff anymore it's just so rare. But, he said he carries aftermarket fenders and hood with a full guarantee of fitment. He told me under 300 for me for all 3. From what he told me the passenger fenders are always a lot more but that he would just give me a deal. However, I agree and I would obviously rather have factory TOYOTA. No matter what I really doubt that I'm going to find everything in red and exactly like mine... Lol. In the end it will have to be primed and painted. What is it you don't like about the aftermarket fenders if you don't mind me asking? Have you tried them?

Originally Posted by 87blackbeauty

Passenger front fender. The door is manual but it is a wing window design. If your motor is undamaged it would swap straight in I believe. I'll look it up for you. I would offer you the whole body but the front rad support has to be either replaced or pulled out some. The truck was in a low speed collision with a tree. And the other downside is that all parts are unpainted. But like I said, I'll cut you a deal, especially if you get several pieces. But if you only got a few, it'll still be cheap. Guaranteed. And I'm on the I-16 area of GA. If your buddy comes this way that is.

Edit:
If you're interested I'll go get some current pics for you. It's been sitting a while, but in GA rust is not too much of a concern. None gas built on it from my recollection anyway. If it has, I'll sand it back and see if it's surface or not. I wouldn't offer you anything that isn't in really good condition. The passenger fender is in my shed though. It's in fine condition.
I will keep in touch with you on this and I am taking notes to try and keep track of it because so many people are reaching out to help that I am forgetting where certain things are and what's what. Lol. Thanks a bunch man! I would grab couple fenders tomorrow during the 50 percent off sale at pick your part, but unfortunately there are none in the yards in 4 wheel drive.

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
What about toyota fiberglass fenders? Also what's the plan: find a clean body and swap it onto your chassis? I have faith you will get this back in order soon!
I don't think I want to go there. Fiberglass is very expensive and its not any whiter, & I have no issues with rust over here. Not forgetting to mention, I have a donor body with both panels and roof... Both in red. The roof with a moon roof.... I think I'd rather just stick with original Toyota stuff.

Well, the plan is to swap all the body parts on to my rolling chassis... Not a full body swap. I would like to do everything I can to avoid that. I've already done a lot of work already to get this prepared and I could safely say at this point I believe it could be dismantled to make way for the new panels and roof.

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
Hey buddy! I've been keeping tabs on Instagram but not on here. Once again, I'm glad you're alright! When I read your story I gasped the same I did when mine was rolled. I'm glad you're able to keep yours, with lots of work obviously, but still glad you're okay! I feel kind of guilty because just before that I made a comment to you about your tire being on the roof and adding weight up top.. I wont make anymore comments like that haha. Like someone previously mentioned, I'm glad everything else is alright and that you were able to drive it home! It's sad to see but I guess that is just a part of wheelin Take care man!
Thank you very much Stephen! I appreciate the kind words and your sympathy. I'm doing my best to get her back on the road as soon as possible. It maybe even sooner than most of you think!

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Chef....
She's totally fixable man. Go back and read my thread on the ole 93. I brought that thing from a totaled parts truck to a beautiful daily driver is just a few months on a poor mans income.
The top will have to be replaced. That's not too bad tho. I've replaced pickup tops but not a runner. Is have to say a runner would be much easier. If you do a straight cut at the bottom the pillars then at the back, all ya gotta do it price it back making nice welds.
In my 93 build thread I replaced my whole front clip including the inner fenders. I done it by my self in just a few hours. I can walk you through that process if needed.
All the body panels including the rear section are spot welded together. Once the welds are drilled out you just pop them off. This includes fighting with the seam sealer. That stuff can be hard to break apart. Some spots you may have to cut with a cut off wheel to remove.
You may wanna contact Corey. There fiberglass seams to be pretty nice. Hell he may give you a deal of a life time on doing all the work for you. Shipping it up might be costly tho. Worth checking into tho.
I can get you factory parts here at WV but I don't know how shipping would go. Just let me know and I will try my hardest to help you any way possible.
Any man that drives a Toyota is a brother of mine.
Thank you so much man! You giving me hope like that means alot! My buddy has the bits to pop out those pinch weld and I know about the seam sealer... We dealt with that on a buddies panel one time but I never got into that extensive of it... He just needed a section. The inner fenders as far as I know just need to be pulled out and where they join the core support of the corners pulled up very slightly. This will bring back up the grill into the hood, hopefully. The only problem with the roof swap is that picture I showed where the windshield frame is off. Hopefully, pulling out from the upper passenger side door hinge portion of the chassis, it might level it back out. Theres gotta be a way. It's basically just got pushed up because of the a-pillar and contact with the upper portion of the door. The b-pillar portion might be slightly twisted out but I just don't see it. Both sides look very similar and I don't see a single crease all the way down to the floor.... The panels we will see. I have access to both panels in good condition, my buddy just have to bring them down after getting them off. The problem with the 4runner is that the shell mounting bolts, all 14 of them, have to line up. Not only that, but if its not snug on the front and the tops of the bed, it will leak... Not to mention look like crap if its all out of line. Lol. With a pickup you have to cut across below the window, but you can patch and add steel until it's just right and you don't have to worry about mounting a show on there that weighs about 250 pounds. You would know better than I, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that I foresee difficulties due to that portion. It really doesn't allow for a lot of forgiving play. Luckily, the rear arch appears to be straight and the show came off without too much effort and didn't seem to bow out or anything as I removed it. It should be replaced though unless I can fix a couple of cracks and one little hole in the roof. It certainly would likely be easier to just replace the roof and remount my rack system....??? And well, I can't be perfectly honest and say that there's nothing wrong with it or that its not compromised.

This brings me to another point... I have very experienced body guy who deals with this very thing coming over tomorrow and giving up his own time. He said he may even help and would be very reasonable to get me back on the road. I guess you could say I'm very nervous, but at least I won't be hearing from a guy who scratching his chin, while saying, "Ohhhhhhh nooooooo! Yeah,.....ohhhhhh, that's. ... Yeahhhhh... ouchhhh!"... lol... He will tell me straight out exactly what to do.

PS: I also may have found a complete and completely straight 87 4 runner with a blown motor. If I get it it would likely be very reasonable and d full of other parts that I would part with and sell to make up for the purchase. I will not hold my breath but you never know. Still waiting to hear back...
Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Oh ok yeah makes total sense. I was also looking at your instagram earlier and understand the bigger picture of it how you only want to do the roof swap. Wait you have a doner body with a moon roof and red? Man that's a total score!! Is that the one Johnnyboy said he knew of a few posts back?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 PM

Good luck with the assessment and the parts truck Chef. Hoping for the best for you. I'm sure you'll find lots of people wanting parts to help offset costs.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
hope she comes back together soon. i would say your were very fortunate.

I am sure you have considered one of these, but I am gonna throw this suggestion out there:
4xinnovations cage
the video adam made is a great testimony of the protection it can offer.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Oh ok yeah makes total sense. I was also looking at your instagram earlier and understand the bigger picture of it how you only want to do the roof swap. Wait you have a doner body with a moon roof and red? Man that's a total score!! Is that the one Johnnyboy said he knew of a few posts back?
Yeah, Johnny... And its red but it would definitely need paint. Pretty much the whole thing will likely wind up primered at first. But I just love red... About the only other thing I would do is the Ivan Stewart and tri color.... But I think at this point I'll be lucky to get it fixed so I should probably stick with red. Lol.

Originally Posted by diableri
Good luck with the assessment and the parts truck Chef. Hoping for the best for you. I'm sure you'll find lots of people wanting parts to help offset costs.
Thanks man! And I hope so! Lol.

Originally Posted by dropzone
hope she comes back together soon. i would say your were very fortunate.

I am sure you have considered one of these, but I am gonna throw this suggestion out there:
4xinnovations cage
the video adam made is a great testimony of the protection it can offer.
Hey buddy, thanks again... Yeah, I totally dig Adams stuff as you already know. Hahaha. That video he did is just insane, isn't it? Here's my problem with the full cage... Its so much freaking work and it won't stop a lot of the body damage including a smashed windshield. An EXO is no guarantee that there won't be body damage or a broken windshield... But from everything I've seen it is much more likely to stop those things. I already have all the armor I need to build an exo off of. I already have someone at a very reasonable price to help me design and bend and weld it on. The problem with either of them for the moment is my truck would be a total dog! Lol. I'd rather it be a dog then be destroyed. So I have to make a decision on that one way or the other.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 AM

Thought I would throw up some videos from King of the Hammers 2014....

I have at least 170 pictures of all kinds of cool stuff at the event and probably another hour of video of the same. I will get to it as soon as possible I've just been pretty slammed with everything right now.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
I look at my cage as protecting me and a passenger or two. not too worried about body damage .
i have a spare cab just in case..
Name:  20121217_100907.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  110.5 KB

too bad you weren't closer. Deathcougar has a pretty clean 86 he is parting out

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread