86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I'll post up my progress so far, hope you don't mind Mark.

I think I've found a decent donor cab, an 86 that's been sitting out back of a buddy's house in Ridgecrest. It's rust free, but has a hole cut in the floorboard where the gas tank goes for some reason. For the most part the bedsides and can are straight, though. So price is free for what he needs from it, but nobody knows who's name this thing is in right now. So help us out making this parts car legal! Who knows the proper way to get past lost title in someone else's name?
Old 02-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way we used to do this on old hot rods and it was on someone we knew's property is get a lien (believe is was a 668 form). Just look that up via the DMV. You can also find out who the last owners were via VIN etc that way and try contact etc. This is all assuming it wasn't in his name and he owes a bunch of back dues on it. At that point you'd want to see about non-oping it for all that time etc.

All roads lead to the DMV and some fees though so not exactly free no matter what I'm afraid.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Dang Mark..big thing is you are ok. Sucks. I know your truck is to you like mine is to me, after so long it is like a member of the family
Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 PM

Thanks diableri. Does that only apply to the whole shell if it has a vin tag location included, or pretty much any part we may cut off of it to use? Mark doesn't have room for a whole shell to hang out in his driveway, so we may be cutting just the top and bedsides or something like that not including any vin plate locations.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Thanks diableri. Does that only apply to the whole shell if it has a vin tag location included, or pretty much any part we may cut off of it to use? Mark doesn't have room for a whole shell to hang out in his driveway, so we may be cutting just the top and bedsides or something like that not including any vin plate locations.
Well, if it's just getting stuff cut off it and Chef's rig isn't getting a VIN change then it's really more of an ethical thing. If it's just been sitting for the last 20 years then it's up to the guy that owns the property how much trouble he wants to go to really. He may just say, "I don't care if you come cut things off it because I'm just going to have a scrap yard come pick it up anyway (or never think about it again for that matter)" or something like that.

If it's family or a friend that just lost the title, then should just get a signed note or something selling it for a buck, filing the non op and paying the fees just to keep it all on the up and up. Might even be able to part off something and come out even.

Just don't want any headaches later if an inspection ever comes up (like during a motor swap and CARB!). Also don't know if insurance was involved in Chef's truck where it'll need to be inspected to be cleared again etc (hopefully not).

ps I hate the DMV.

Last edited by diableri; 02-10-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
:0 man Chef that's horrible. So glad your okay but man that's just horrible. If I had a way over there I'd help you in a minutes notice. I'm familiar with cab swaps on 2nd gen trucks. There's not much to it other then being heavy. If you have any questions feel free to ask...

Now on a second note. 2nd and 3rd gen pickup cabs will mount on your frame just something to consider if a runner body don't work out
Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang Mark, I had to go back a page, and catch up, I was hoping I was misreading the last few posts! Really sorry to hear about Ruby, it was really heartbreaking to hear, she had such a clean, straight body, but really glad your OK!!! I wish I lived closer I'd help you if I could, but there's no doubt in my mind with the friends you have you'll get her back and better than before! Hang in there bud, and take it easy for a few days, you might be a little more banged and bruised up that you initially thought (hope not). Hope you get a good deal on a body soon.... hey, might be a good time to do that engine swap upgrade while she's down???!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 PM

I feel bad about how broken my truck is right now. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I rolled it especially if it looked as good as yours did. At least you are okay and that your armour did what it was supposed to do. Sarah's thoughts are with you as well. She knows how much we can love our old buckets.

On the bright side you are about to have a lot of spare parts to keep any future 4Runners you own on the road in top shape.

Good luck Mark.

I look forward to seeing your next project. I hope it goes as smoothly as possible.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 02-10-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Terrible news. I'm sorry to hear of the damage and thankful you didn't get banged up. Watching for updates once you get your wind back.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:14 PM

When you are ready you should send some photos to Petersons.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Hey Mark,
Hope Ruby's restoration is going well. It just occurred to me... IF you have the room or budget , have you considered restroring Ruby Redrum to a full-time rock crawler with barebones aesthetics (i.e. exo-skeleton), then finding another 4Runner you could run stock and make pretty, for a DD, then call her Ruby Redrum II?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM

Hey Mark, I'm over at my local shop. No luck on an independent body guy so far. But the place down the road is reasonable. I'll keep an eye out though.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
damn Mark hope all is well. If you need any inspiration let me know as i think i can relate.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Discombobulated
I think I read that correctly but I wish it wasn't true truly sorry dude!! Glad your ok
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Glad to hear you are ok. That is a scary situation to be in. I probably wouldn't want to look at it for awhile myself knowing what all you have into it. If I was in your area I would jump at it in a heartbeat to do a body swap. When the time comes just holler on it about how to do it. It is easier then you think. You will be a pro in no time.

It could of been worse but everything is ok otherwise. You will probably need a few days to get some sore muscles working again. Hang in there.
Originally Posted by RBX
Man, this breaks my heart to read this Chef. I may be out in Las Feliz in mid march for an engagement party for a friend. If I'm there you have my help if you need it.
Originally Posted by 87hoerunner
Almost brings a tear to read that statement chef . If I wasn't on the wrong coast id help in a minute Your thread has been very helpful in my builds. Guess there is Just more to go in this epic build buddy
Originally Posted by CamTom12
dang, that sucks!

Good news that you're ok and the 4Runner can be repaired!!
Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
As everyone already said, so sorry man. But in the end I'm glad your ok because as hard as it is loosing something we love, you can't replace yourself.
Originally Posted by habanero
EEKS! VERY glad you're okay Chef!! Well, when you're up to it I just know you'll be rolling up your sleeves and digging in just the way you always do. Ruby'll be back in one way or another.
Originally Posted by Grego92
Hey Mark, sorry to hear about that, the positive side is all that work you put into it (body armor wise) was not wasted, it saved you and your truck just like you intended it to. You should be proud that your work and some money did what you had hoped it would do.

On another note, when you need extra hands for lifting to do the body swap let me know. I'm doing my manual conversion and engine rebuild on the camry, but just let me know ahead of time when you're going to be doing some swapping and I'll be there.

There are some beauties still out there...about 3 months ago I found a silver 88' SR5 in Santa Barbara on craigslist, 9 out 10 body wise (factory body stickers in great condition still) with a blown 3vz for $1,250. I let my buddy get it for his son since I had my camry project.
Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Wow, I wasn't expecting to open my email to read that. What a gut punch... Glad you're alright, though. That's all that really matters. It sounds like Ruby will be back and better than ever
Originally Posted by frm_808
Glad to hear you're ok, and wanting to continue with your rig. It is such an inspiration
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Glad you're OK, Mark. please let us know how we could help with Ruby Red's restoration.
Originally Posted by rworegon
Chef, glad you are ok physically. Sorry about the misadventure.
So I'll post up my progress so far, hope you don't mind Mark.

I think I've found a decent donor cab, an 86 that's been sitting out back of a buddy's house in Ridgecrest. It's rust free, but has a hole cut in the floorboard where the gas tank goes for some reason. For the most part the bedsides and can are straight, though. So price is free for what he needs from it, but nobody knows who's name this thing is in right now. So help us out making this parts car legal! Who knows the proper way to get past lost title in someone else's name?
Originally Posted by diableri
The way we used to do this on old hot rods and it was on someone we knew's property is get a lien (believe is was a 668 form). Just look that up via the DMV. You can also find out who the last owners were via VIN etc that way and try contact etc. This is all assuming it wasn't in his name and he owes a bunch of back dues on it. At that point you'd want to see about non-oping it for all that time etc.

All roads lead to the DMV and some fees though so not exactly free no matter what I'm afraid.
Originally Posted by dropzone
Dang Mark..big thing is you are ok. Sucks. I know your truck is to you like mine is to me, after so long it is like a member of the family
Originally Posted by diableri

Well, if it's just getting stuff cut off it and Chef's rig isn't getting a VIN change then it's really more of an ethical thing. If it's just been sitting for the last 20 years then it's up to the guy that owns the property how much trouble he wants to go to really. He may just say, "I don't care if you come cut things off it because I'm just going to have a scrap yard come pick it up anyway (or never think about it again for that matter)" or something like that.

If it's family or a friend that just lost the title, then should just get a signed note or something selling it for a buck, filing the non op and paying the fees just to keep it all on the up and up. Might even be able to part off something and come out even.

Just don't want any headaches later if an inspection ever comes up (like during a motor swap and CARB!). Also don't know if insurance was involved in Chef's truck where it'll need to be inspected to be cleared again etc (hopefully not).

ps I hate the DMV.
Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
:0 man Chef that's horrible. So glad your okay but man that's just horrible. If I had a way over there I'd help you in a minutes notice. I'm familiar with cab swaps on 2nd gen trucks. There's not much to it other then being heavy. If you have any questions feel free to ask...

Now on a second note. 2nd and 3rd gen pickup cabs will mount on your frame just something to consider if a runner body don't work out
Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Dang Mark, I had to go back a page, and catch up, I was hoping I was misreading the last few posts! Really sorry to hear about Ruby, it was really heartbreaking to hear, she had such a clean, straight body, but really glad your OK!!! I wish I lived closer I'd help you if I could, but there's no doubt in my mind with the friends you have you'll get her back and better than before! Hang in there bud, and take it easy for a few days, you might be a little more banged and bruised up that you initially thought (hope not). Hope you get a good deal on a body soon.... hey, might be a good time to do that engine swap upgrade while she's down???!!!
Originally Posted by Red Wagon
I feel bad about how broken my truck is right now. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I rolled it especially if it looked as good as yours did. At least you are okay and that your armour did what it was supposed to do. Sarah's thoughts are with you as well. She knows how much we can love our old buckets.

On the bright side you are about to have a lot of spare parts to keep any future 4Runners you own on the road in top shape.

Good luck Mark.

I look forward to seeing your next project. I hope it goes as smoothly as possible.
Originally Posted by Nervo19
Terrible news. I'm sorry to hear of the damage and thankful you didn't get banged up. Watching for updates once you get your wind back.
Originally Posted by Red Wagon
When you are ready you should send some photos to Petersons.
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Hey Mark,
Hope Ruby's restoration is going well. It just occurred to me... IF you have the room or budget , have you considered restroring Ruby Redrum to a full-time rock crawler with barebones aesthetics (i.e. exo-skeleton), then finding another 4Runner you could run stock and make pretty, for a DD, then call her Ruby Redrum II?
Originally Posted by Zpd426
Hey Mark, I'm over at my local shop. No luck on an independent body guy so far. But the place down the road is reasonable. I'll keep an eye out though.
Originally Posted by mightymouse
damn Mark hope all is well. If you need any inspiration let me know as i think i can relate.
I will get back to you all soon as possible and I thank you very much for all the responses and concern. I've learned quite a bit in the last couple days as far as the extent of what I'm dealing with. I would love to answer right now but I need a couple hours to straighten out something else. So I will answer sometime today or tonight. .. Thanks a bunch for all the help!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Always good to hear from you Chef, tales to tell or not.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I will get back to you all soon as possible and I thank you very much for all the responses and concern. I've learned quite a bit in the last couple days as far as the extent of what I'm dealing with. I would love to answer right now but I need a couple hours to straighten out something else. So I will answer sometime today or tonight. .. Thanks a bunch for all the help!
That's the beauty of forums Chef, the posts will be here when you get time. Take as much as you need of course.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 PM

Damn, Chef. I've been gone for quite Some Time and just got an email about this post. First I wanna say thank God you're alright. I know things didn't go so well for you the last time you rolled. Luckily this time you built a beast that could hold up. Second, if I could help in any way I most certainly would. You are probably the most helpful person I've talked to on here and you sir have my utmost respect. Lastly, when the time is right, I am subscribed and back on board to see what beauty you build next. I wish you the best of luck kind sir and take your time. We'll be here when you're ready.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 AM

Hey everybody... I figured I would post a couple pictures of where I'm at now. Doors, fenders, windshield, headliner, all accessories within the roof of the cab, shell, ... All removed and ready for the next step. I'm hoping that I can swap a donor roof that is being given to me. It looks to me is though others have taken more severe damage and still swapped the roof... But some other work has to be done as well in order to get that to line up and get my windshield in and so forth. Here is a picture where I am at.....

Name:  IMG_20140212_004152.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  1.15 MB

Here's an idea of how much the top was pushed in on my side....

Name:  IMG_20140213_094006.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  362.3 KB

One of my concerns is this picture... It shows that the base of the windshield is slightly pushed either up or down on one side. I think as things are pulled on, like at the passenger door upper hinge area, bringing it back out, and pushing up on the portion of my head to bring it back up and out, it should be workable... Here is the picture I'm talking about regarding the windshield...

Name:  20140212_135838.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  2.80 MB

^^^^

What is very deceiving in that picture is the fact that the hood is bent from opening it. I had to get it open to make sure I had no fuel leak and so forth and a check for other damage before we started it... So it buckled in the back with you can't really see. As I cover the hood out of the picture it doesn't look as bad. There's no giant wrinkles in the engine bay or and your family... And the tailgate is untouched and still close is perfectly fine...

Here is the sides and particularly the passenger side by the tail light......

Name:  20140211_124432.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  3.42 MB

.... Obviously I have to try and figure out whether these panels can be repaired but some cut outs and welding in & straightening... Or is it best to just cut the whole panels off at the pinch Welds & replace them?

Or am I just wasting my time here and need to find body swap candidates?

I'm a little bit frustrated right now, but I'm truly grateful that I'm ok.

I also gotta say, to those who have put off doing armor... Please stop putting it off and just get it over with. I put sliders on before I even if AF band Richard can tell you we crack them several times pretty hard At Tierra del Sol... The roof rack and stinger bumper and sliders and rear bumper are the only difference right now and probably more injuries and definitely weather I would be looking for a roof and panels or not. It would have been much more severe. It also goes to show you the way that I mounted my roof rack was critical in all of this not being much worse. There is not one single crack down the side rails. Couple little compromise in the shell and one window busted out because of something flying into it... But other than that, I'm really shocked how well it held up. As I said before I believe, the roof rack with the 35 on it also acted as a spacer between the Stinger and the roof. It is definitely the difference of why I was able to drive home. I'm really excited 2 get this back on the road... I just really need parts guys! If you know of anything or you just have a few minutes to surf around in your area, I really need fenders and doors and a hood. I will try to come back today and answer all the questions and so forth... I mean the previously asked ones... lol. But for now I just want to say thanks and I gotta get going.

THANKS!

PS: I am also wondering if anyone knows of a good aftermarket fenders and hood manufacturer. I've heard some horror stories of door handles and I haven't really read up much on the body parts. There are so many out there and they seem to all be electronically primered, and I really would prefer to find factory TOYOTA stuff but the yards seem baron and I haven't found much luck in Los Angeles for these things. I can't seem to find any doors in the aftermarket world either. I'm not sure why but I'm assuming they just couldn't get the dyes?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-13-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Pfffft. I've seen guys on here with way more damage and they make something beautiful out of it. Might take a few hours and a good reliable buffer, but she'll be good as before!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Badger62811
Pfffft. I've seen guys on here with way more damage and they make something beautiful out of it. Might take a few hours and a good reliable buffer, but she'll be good as before!
I know I've seen much worse myself, but trust me, it's quite a bit of bodywork and Chessie pulling that needs to be done in order for anything to line up again. Both inner fenders are pushed and, the passenger side is worse for sure, and I will put up some better pictures of the bed. Its pretty bad. The roof is history, because the substructure of the roof prevents proper pushing with certain tools and it would just be too much work to make it right when I have a donor tab in perfect condition with a moonroof already. It drives fine and all that, but I'll never get a windshield back in it the way it is and neither will I be able to get a passenger door on it to shut without pulling the chassis structure out just about where the upper door hinge goes and also the a-pillar.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread