86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
You did a great job on the hood. When is Marks Collision Shop going to be open for business? Glad you mentioned about the batteries. I have had to replace 2 batteries on my runners and now the 3rd gens battery is getting weak. 8 years old so guess I cant complain about it.

Your grandkid is growing quick. They dont stay small for long. Finally may have the gremlin evicted huh? Maybe it will stay gone.

I stopped by the my windshield shop he can get you the kit. He said it was $19.95 and figured about $3 shipping. I didnt have time to look up the kit but said to give him a call.

His name is Bill.
McDonald County Glass&Mirror.
417-845-7265

He has doen about 5 windshields for me and has always done great. He was saying that windshields are expensive and if shipping doesnt kill him, he has thought of shipping windshields. That is still under development. I know I am suprised at the cost for me to get them put in for me by him. I cant complain. I know you arent needing a windshield, but just in case.

If you have a leak, pull the windshield and do the cleaning of the windshield channel yourself, it will save on cost. He might could even send you some sealant. It is just plastic clips. I wont pull the trim off myself as it is difficult. I have watched them each time and it is a pain. They charge me $10 to pull the trim and then pull the windshield when I get home to fix the channel.
You da man! Thanks for the tip/name&#....

Yeah, she's such a Lil ham! So cute! Lol....

I gotta check for leaks as soon as i install my idea for the light connector on the hole in the roof! Soon!

Originally Posted by GrandPa's Runner
Hey Chef, I forgot to mention that the body crease that was leaking is under the front fresh air cowl that the windshield wipers stick through.
Good thing to check...., thanks!

Originally Posted by aviator
Happy firat day of winter Mark et al.
Haha, thanks buddy.

Well, several days with this ECU in and still not one problem with initial closed-loop Idle down or hot soak Idle down---->

.... Odd thing though.... It seems to be suffering on the hills a Lil more now.... WTH? Lol.... Almost like the power band is gone or limited somehow. It is really odd..... I've been trying to figure out what would do that, but I'm kinda stumped. My only guess is that the E2-IDL Setting is not allowing such a hyper WOT now, with this ECU...... Anyone?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-21-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering if the ECU's are date sensitive? Sometimes part changes occur so the part might apply to say 8/87 and then a new part number applies. Tied to mfg dates and engineering changes? Just wondering!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:29 PM

Hey Mark, hope you are feeling better. I think with this ECU you need to disable the WOT limiter. Then it will have everything you want/desire from this engine. Kinda shame to get all the gremlins out just before you swap it. Morgan
Old 12-21-2013, 06:47 PM

Mark, Take a look at TPS tests 4&5 from 4Crawler (pg 10 of 13) and the paragraph directly below it. May shed some light on the WOT issue. Hope it works. Morgan
Old 12-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Just wondering if the ECU's are date sensitive? Sometimes part changes occur so the part might apply to say 8/87 and then a new part number applies. Tied to mfg dates and engineering changes? Just wondering!
I believe it's the same part #, yet I'm not certain that they are without an additional date sensitive stamp...somewhere. lol... However, having done almost a dozen full testing procedures with more than one ECU's, relating to resistance and voltage from and to the ECU... I learned one thing pretty quick. When they change values on almost anything, especially relating to post 87 where in California they often had to o2 sensors / different knock sensor signal,... They almost always set of a code if they are not precisely the right ECU. I believe in 86, even though there was no side by side fusible link / diagnostic port as with my 87... It was still the same ECU reading the same values from everything including coolant temperature sensor, TPS, air flow meter, cold start injector and time switch, injectors, EGR related parts including the fact that neither have an EGR temp sensor..., and so on and so forth. As far as I know they are identical except that the diagnostic is done on the driver side firewall on a cylindrical plug on the 86 whereas my 87 has it right next to the fusible link box. This was definitely a California car because I read the emissions label on the hood and even took a picture... The 88's almost always listed the EGR temp sensor and very often had to o2 sensors as I mentioned... My next test is going to be a miles per gallon check on a 50 mile or so freeway trek. One thing I think I can say I notice, but I will check more tomorrow is, the fact that I don't have as much of a rich odor.

Hey Mark, hope you are feeling better. I think with this ECU you need to disable the WOT limiter. Then it will have everything you want/desire from this engine. Kinda shame to get all the gremlins out just before you swap it. Morgan
Not quite sure exactly when the swap will begin. I have quite a bit more research to do.

As far as disabling the wide open throttle limiter... Can you shed some light on that? I can still get up in the high RPM's it just doesn't seem to have that bit of a pop from around 2500-4000 rpm like it used to. To be honest, Morgan, I can't say that much of this is without its psychological aspects... I noticed that I am staying out of it a bit more... I also notice, or I should say recall as of late, that I am NOT having to hold the throttle down to 3000 rpm for 10 seconds just to get it to smooth out again. As fairly well read as I am on the EFI system for this truck( emissions and ignition as well ), I am NOT aware of a wide open throttle limiter. I was, at one point, much more read up on the workings of the fuel cut system... How it relates to the brake pedal over a thousand rpm, etc cetera... But even that has slipped me a bit as this gremlin got me so frustrated that I began to just shove all of it into my basement file cabinet in the cranial cabinet above my shoulders! Lol.

Mark, Take a look at TPS tests 4&5 from 4Crawler (pg 10 of 13) and the paragraph directly below it. May shed some light on the WOT issue. Hope it works. Morgan
I have read his TPS section so many times I should have it memorized... Just going to my recollection I might get a couple things makes up, but once I dig into it, it turns out fairly dead center on the important reading. I have two other air flow meters as well... I have considered slapping one of those donors on, but the previous owner is someone I know very well, that while in his use I know for a fact the truck was purring like a kitten. Same elevation geography, etc. I have been doing quite a bit of dirt cruising over the last couple years... But I keep a pretty good eye on my air filter and I believe once a year at least I clean my air flow meter cone with air flow meter cleaner.... And even then, just the other day, while my gremlin was annoying the crap out of me, I still was able to come up my several degree grade Hill up to my house and over-the-top around 50 miles an hour... Where as, now it seems that I am lucky to be doing 45. That's quite a bit for a 22 re: no? Lol. I'm going to run the other Hill , most likely tomorrow morning, which is even worse... And see if I am able to only have a slight drop towards the top in 3rd gear at around 45..... Traffic has been horrible and I've had to stop completely at the light before the hill leading up to my house, then I'm heading into people looking at their phones and acting like total knobs......, like most people do at this time of year, mid day. Hahaha.

Fill me in on exactly what you mean. I'm always down to learn anything and I am looking at most likely at least a year before I can get started. Granted, anyone who knows me knows that out of nowhere I could have my motor pulled and the next month... Getting started on the swap. However, I don't think I will have the time I would like to see how my health progresses over the next couple months. Another funny thing, at least for me, as I know its not very funny for those living in sub-zero temperatures..., is the fact that I actually hope but my swap begins around November. I would much rather do it in cold weather then 95 degrees. Hahaha. Anyway, no more rambling, and thanks a lot for stopping in. I thought more people would be wanting to throw a party with me so far! Hahahaha... Just kidding. It's a busy time of year... Thanks again Morgan...

And, thanks everyone who have always stuck around to give me a hand or just a good razzing when I need it! Hehe
Old 12-21-2013, 10:06 PM

Hi Mark, Please post the results of your mileage test tomorrow. Curious minds want to know. Sorry about the WOT limiter comment, just my Smart Axx sense of humor. Was just a thought on the ECU update and the resistance test from idle to WOT might still shed some light on operation and power loss. Morgan
Old 12-22-2013, 06:49 AM

Hi Mark, Hope the mileage test goes/went well. Woke up this morning thinking about my WOT limiter comment and I am wondering if it might not be so far fetched after all. The ECU also controls the ESA. Back in the old days we used to change spark advance be adding weights and heavier springs to the distributor to modify the spark advance curve. Now it's done electronically! Could it be that the two ECU's are interpreting the readings differently and thereby setting the advance curve differently? Isn't that what newer vehicles do when folks add chips to their computers? Don't have any idea how to do the changes (or if it's even possible) but just kind of thinking out loud. Maybe some of your local Yota guru's could shed some light on the idea. Morgan
Old 12-22-2013, 10:22 AM

No time to do that on Sunday morn..... Work early and not just an all Mom day with Church and brunch.....And she's asked for a Lil Christmas shopping time... Poor thing is pretty slow now, so I'm pretty much the only one who will take that time. I could be back early afternoon, but even Sunday, it will likely be pretty bad traffic on the freeway around here. I will definitely post it up as soon as possible.

Interesting info... I hear what you're saying... As old school as it is , is still analog computerized... If you can even call it that... And the igniter and pick up and dizzy in general do have the ability to change a lot if you change their direction by the main drive....

We'll see... Nothing a little digging can't figure out. Or vey! Hahaha
Old 12-23-2013, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I have an 86 Turbo ECU that is no good and I wanted to see what is inside of one of them and the screws stripped out. I am curious to see how well built they are and if it is possible to have them repaired. They must use Red Locktite on them or something.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have an 86 Turbo ECU that is no good and I wanted to see what is inside of one of them and the screws stripped out. I am curious to see how well built they are and if it is possible to have them repaired. They must use Red Locktite on them or something.
Yeah, I would be interested in that. As far as getting the screws out...., you have to make sure you use the exact size screwdriver bit and maybe you could use something heavier like an impact driver, just don't hammer on it, and instead, force driver down and turn while the corner of the ECU on the bottom side is on a flat firm and no slip surface. I'm guessing the one that I have that immediately threw a code is from the 88 that I got all of those parts from one time. I really regret not labeling all of them with the exact manufacture date and vin number.

With the way things have gone for me, I wouldn't be surprised if Morgan was on to something in regards to this ECU being for an 87.11.25674789 super special 7 models only manufactured secret 4runner project! Hahaha. Of course my VIN is pulling up Jack at the dealer now... They pretty much deleted it. I'm sure if I call around I can get more information. However, I am willing to bet that this is an 86-87 ECU and that my problems are more likely do to either having some base EFI mechanical issue/malfunction, or it may be possible that the ECU that I was using kept things in the wrong place for so long that something of the former mentioned category is now fuggled up, and was somehow left wide open. Its not sputtering or hesitating or any of the normal symptoms that I've had when it comes to TPS misalignment or a problem with the coolant temperature sensor or otherwise, you know what I mean ? Lol.

I am definitely going to be verifying and taking notes as to whether I am correct in my very waffling declaration that it is simply not performing the same, now that I have swapped in this alternate ECU . As I'm sure some of you know, when you have A TPS out of adjustment, it can cause the truck to bog on initial acceleration, and then, at around 2500 rpm or so, the truck will go like a bat out of hell throughout the rest of that gear, and then, usually, if you just stay on it through 2nd gear, it will seem to have gone away. Not knowing exactly when I put the ECU in, nor having kept a perfect catalogue of every symptom and problem that I've had since the first gremlin reared its ugly head... It's almost impossible for me to say what I think is most likely going on/ had happened in the past. What I could do is: Test out the truck on the hills as soon as I get a chance... (Hills I Drive around 400 to 500 times a year and have a solid recollection thereof in regards to performance expectations),... And then, swap back in what I am thinking is the faulty ECU... , and then, driving up the same hill within the same hour to test my theory that 1 is performing or causing my truck to perform differently from the other. And, that's just the thing.... The fact that I cannot I know if something is otherwise wrong with my system(EFI, IGN, Etc...).... But, it would seem to me that simply swapping in a second ECU as I have, from the same part number, and throwing no codes after around a hundred miles and several days of CLEARLY smoother running???... My guess is that I have a better ECU in now( the former had a problem) but still have another problem. The odd thing is that that ECU never threw a code either. However, it would immediately react if you unplugged the TPS or coolant temperature sensor or any other code throwing item.

I will do a video narrating what I notice on the Crenshaw incline..... As well as a little around town where I normally drive. That will help me keep a little bit of a fresh notebook, so to speak. Then I will test the mileage.

Morgan, I would think that having an ECU from a transitional type vehicle( such as 87.11 to 88.4) would soooooo much more likely cause a code to be thrown . Usually, any changes they made were of a fairly significant variation which had to be also adjusted therein the ECU. I.e.: Injector and Knock signal/resistance alterations..... The other ECU that I threw in, which obviously threw a code right away, still kept running smoothly regardless... However, I would be willing to bet that if I stuck my head down by the tail pipe I would have noticed a bit more stank and terrible mileage and in the end I could probably come clued that due to having the wrong parts for said ECU, it was just remaining in open loop....... oy? Hahaha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-23-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Thanks Mark, point well taken. I will continue to try and be logical, but it usually gets me in trouble! HaHa! Morgan
Old 12-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Well, 78*f here in Palos Verdes today! Woooooot! Had to take off the sweatshirt cuz I was sweating soo much! hahaha....

Anddddddd, I can't say 100% percent for certain, but after my run today up the hills and around town, it looks as if I was absolutely incorrect about the performance! I got up the hill in 3rd gear with no running start, heading 60 miles an hour in 3rd gear, and only dropping down to 55 as I came up over the worst part of the grade toward the top. I look forward to figuring out the mileage and then taking a trip up and over the Angeles Crest and soon to Arizona, where I will get a very accurate picture as to whether I'm back into the 20mpg range.... So far, it doesn't look as though I'm getting much better mileage at all. However, it does seem less stinky.

And yet,... Yes, the dreaded yet! Lol. And yet, there has been quite a few instances where when I slam on the brakes, my idol comes down for a couple seconds to around 650 rpm, then quickly brings itself back up. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse at all... But obviously it makes me nervous after what I've been through with the thing! Hahaha. I am also noticing that I do definitely at times have a voltage / rpm issue. Even with my headlights on and then applying the break, I noticed a small drop off around 45 to 50 rpm. But just the headlights alone is a quick 50 drop in most situations. It seems to settle after full warm up around $800 p.m.... Then shortly after driving around a bit it sticks around 700 in most situations. I also notice that the ambient temperature definitely seems to affect how it runs. So I am more and more curious about my air flow meter, especially considering it is a swap in from a vendor on yotatech. Who knows, maybe it's one of those of the month transitional models that has a slightly different band in the coiling? Who the heck knows? Lol
Old 12-24-2013, 12:51 PM

That's great Mark! At least it sounds like things are heading in the correct direction i.e. running the Gremlins out of town. Merry Christmas! Morgan
Old 12-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Thanks Morgan! And just realized how appropriate the inference of Gremlins is and VICTORY AT CHRISTMAS TIME over them is surely a great possible gift! DEATH TO gremlins or anything resembling them! Haha....

PROOF OF DEATH! --->

Name:  Death_of_a_Gremlin_by_Chaotica_I.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  10.6 KB

I think I might have possibly, as well, poisoned at least a few the others....

Name:  8de0193fbd26180f93de3680cef03266.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  8.1 KB

Name:  avsp_alien_02.gif
Views: 73
Size:  11.3 KB

Name:  gremlins_2_by_paullus23-d39t0ro.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  8.2 KB

Name:  trgif.gif
Views: 92
Size:  1.16 MB

Hehe.....

PS: I could not bring myself to harm any of the following trolls! No!..... It has nothing to do with the fact that they are smoking hot! Hahaha....

Name:  collegehumor9a43c5a7e10993a5a98bd2abb3451cbb.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  48.6 KB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-24-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:02 PM

Hello people's of Yotatechia! hahaha.....

I really hope everyone had a really nice and Merry Christmas ......I wish for the best New Year possible, for all of you!

I just fell way behind on pix and updates in general since not much has been up with Ruby R3dRuM lately. She'She's been running really well and while I haven'haven't been able to do a mileage test just yet, I think it hasn't really changed much. ....haha.... I'll find out for sure, soon, as I'm planning to do a Lil weekend stint to the Angeles Crest for a couple days of relaxing and mild wheeling......

Regarding that, the latter mentioned plan.... I'm really hoping to get to go camping for the weekend with Richard, Faby, and Their friends, a couple. His buddy, Julio (?), is running a stock Pickup (86 I believe) with 31 BFG AT's. ...so we're gonna keep it mellow and guide him to the 'Mellow lines'... I'm trying to see if we could do a lillllllll further truck and enjoy a bit less people and more wheeling options.... I guess that's on me to find an alternative with less/equal miles involved. .... hmmmmm. I'M THINKIN! HAHA.....

The last post I did to catch up on family and pictures and so forth, I believe was for Christmas decoration shots or something... I'm going to look back on post up on that and a few other events, and then I will likely do a post in the trip planning forum regarding this coming weekend. Don't seem to get much action/response to "wanna go?", on here , but I atleast want to offer.... ....

Here is one reason picture I took that I thought was funny... I guess it just have to Dr in LA a few times to understand what I mean when I say, that some people just have no regard for their life or the lives of others... They will slam on the brakes in front of you or cut you off doing 65 miles an hour... No concept of the size and mass and centrifical force that's barreling down on them! ......

I think I wrote something like, " Dear Mr crazy lowered Hyundai driver with the sideways hat and the pants around his ankles(or skinny jeans, whichever may apply), with the super loud boom booms and extremely stunt driver like attitude... My name is Ruby R3dRuM, and while my driver may be very passive, when it comes to death wish type drivers around him for the sake of his living as long as possible... I have a lot less control over myself... So: If you slam on your brakes one more time, I just have to inform you that I very well may send your dual 20 inch speaker box in your trunk through the windshield with you... That and/or, depending on how low you actually are, you may be wearing me like a hat or a big dog in heat.... Thank you for listening, hope not to see you very soon! ....."....

Name:  IMG_20131228_004355.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  200.8 KB
Old 12-29-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ha, ha, hey Mark, got a good laugh from your "personalized" license plate! You think those crazy drivers would think twice just looking in their rear view mirror and seeing the image you just posted above of your Ruby with that beefy front bumper, completely capable of crushing them like Gravedigger, lol.

That is one thing I don't miss in Ca is the traffic. My brother and friends, and I would drive (hwy17, I think) from San Jose to Santa Cruz on the weekend to hang out at the beach, seemed like we'd have a near death experience every trip, lol, the guys on crotch rockets, and Harley's were some of the worst, and when it rained, it was like roller derby, lol.

Last edited by rustED; 12-29-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

LA drivers may be bad but mano you ain't seen nothin' til you done seen some of the crazy drivers we got here in the big smoke... normally they're bad but winter makes them worse... between the ones who think they [or their cars] are more capable then they are and the terrified fraidy cats you really take your life in your hands driving some days... or even walking across the road for that matter...

happy New Year btw...
Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Ha, ha, hey Mark, got a good laugh from your "personalized" license plate! You think those crazy drivers would think twice just looking in their rear view mirror and seeing the image you just posted above of your Ruby with that beefy front bumper, completely capable of crushing them like Gravedigger, lol.

That is one thing I don't miss in Ca is the traffic. My brother and friends, and I would drive (hwy17, I think) from San Jose to Santa Cruz on the weekend to hang out at the beach, seemed like we'd have a near death experience every trip, lol, the guys on crotch rockets, and Harley's were some of the worst, and when it rained, it was like roller derby, lol.
Hahaha. ... That's what you'd think! The other day, driving down the 110 freeway, southbound towards the coast... I noticed a car coming down the 105 overpass, which basically comes out of LAX Airport, then dumps on to the 110 north which goes into LA, okay?... I see this car coming down that on rap on to the 110 North and I guess what made me notice it is that it must have been doing 110 miles an hour around a 50 mile an hour curve... As he entered the freeway he lost it, went into a spin and did at least 10 full 360's smashing across all lanes and all cars until about an 8th mile later, he went dead on into the center divider of K rails, and he hit so hard that he almost flew over the other side, but instead went straight up about 10 feet and landed on his roof... On an open highway, he would have killed the guy in front of me and myself - no doubt about it... That's how hard he hit the rail, and still doing at least 80 miles an hour in a full spin! It's like that every time I'm on the freeway. They literally go in and out of every lane the entire way through LA, never staying in one lane for more than 5 seconds... What is so hilarious about that is that I never ever leave the fast lane, unless of course to go around someone who's just driving 20 miles an hour playing freeway governor! Lol.... The funny thing, as I was saying, is that they can do that for 24 miles all the way to the top of LA, from the dead bottom of San Pedro, and the entire way they are looking at me, because they know I'm looking at them,... And they never get ahead of me for more than a few seconds and often fall behind! I used to have to drive my daughter everyday from where I am to downtown LA to a magnet school... It's about 35-40 minutes each way. Then I would have to go pick her up at the end of a long day for her as well. Every single time I would say something about "this guy is THAT guy"... She would know exactly what I meant, and we would watch them and talk about them as they drove in and out of lanes and almost crashing into people... Then we would get on the carpool lane about halfway there and wave at them... Hahahahaha. You should have seen their faces and the fingers that went flying up in the air! Lol.

Originally Posted by aviator
LA drivers may be bad but mano you ain't seen nothin' til you done seen some of the crazy drivers we got here in the big smoke... normally they're bad but winter makes them worse... between the ones who think they [or their cars] are more capable then they are and the terrified fraidy cats you really take your life in your hands driving some days... or even walking across the road for that matter...

happy New Year btw...
Oh yeah, I lived up in East Valley Washington near the Canadian border for a little while . It was freezing and always iced over and often lots of snow..... People were literally gliding wherever they went more than they were driving. Just careless stupidity!

Happy New Year!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-29-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

hahaha know what you mean about the lane changers... I just pick one and typically I get by all of them... the other ones are the jack rabbits on the surface roads... the ones who race from light to light... if you just drive a calm speed and learn to look up and adjust your speed accordingly you can have a green light [almost] non stop commute, save gas and be far less stressed when you get there... the trick is to pick the right radio station to listen to either educational and informative or good jazz... night time commute gotta be 70s-80s disco/dance club stuff we grew up with...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:20 AM

Meet up on Jan. 4th, here.......

Dropped Pin

near Mt Emma Rd
Angeles National Forest
Palmdale, CA 93550

http://goo.gl/maps/eFUxt

Sorry guys... I meant to do this sooner but life is just been crazy. Also, I have been having a terrible time with this app. Keeps giving me an error. Deleted and uploaded again and it still did the same. Otherwise I would have mentioned this much sooner. I have tons of pictures and video to upload, and share here... Christmas and all kinds of other stuff. I'll probably wait till we get back.

I will be meeting JonnyBoy from here, who is coming down from Independence, California... Or maybe Ridgecrest... And we will camp from Friday and leave Sunday..... The rest of the guys coming which I believe is now in total 5 trucks... They are just coming for the day on Saturday. Not sure exactly on the meet time but if anyone who reads this wants to join us you're more than welcome. Again, I'm really sorry I posted this so late... I'll be sure to do better for king of hammers or anything else.

PS, Tierra del Sol is coming up pretty quick... I encourage everyone who can come to go as it was a blast! I will likely be camping a little bit further away from the giant groups... Hopefully the rest of the group will agree, but either way it's all about the Wheeling and hanging out...

PSS: KOH starts on January 31st and goes until February 8th. I'm not sure if anyone on here is planning on going but I will be posting a trip thread if I can go in the proper forum, for both the king of hammers and Tierra del Sol 2014.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread