86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Might have a totally insane update (no not related to the engine swap).....But I need an hour or so more to even consider it's likelihood. ..... NO MORE COUNTING MY EMU's...... b4 they hatch! Haha

Also, In short, I'm not sure why, but I woke in absolute agony around 5am....... Abdominal realm/below right lower rib. Almost drove to the ER, but I couldn't, so I held off and finally got relief around 10am... called in and crashed til 12:45pm.... Ugh..... Hoping it was digestive (I've had very strange intercostal pain/intestinal reactions at random times, since my near fatal wreck in 2002.) ..., Because the alternative possibilities are very ugly. Just keep me in prayer/positive energy, etc. ? Thanx!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
...Also, In short, I'm not sure why, but I woke in absolute agony around 5am.......
Hoping it's not too bad, Mark.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 PM

Thanks, Ray! Me 2...... I'll find out soon enough.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anything right side pain that comes an goes quite possible appendix related can feel like gas stomach ache a muscle catch cramp

ask me about my soda can sized leaky one some day
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could also be hernia/muscle related from the struggle with the hood... hoping it's nothing serious hombre... you could hang the Lon a chain and wear it bling rapper style..

know what you mean about Abby wanting to be independent... at that age they are anxious to prove to you and themselves that they can do it themselves... 'cause they want to be "big"... if only they knew most of the time we're faking it ourselves...

later tonight I'll be making me famous "cookoo squares" with my "niece" for her class christmas party on Thursday... apparently they were asked for by some other members of the class...
Old 12-17-2013, 05:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark hope everything is alright. Your situation sounds like what I had about 3 years ago. Appendicitis. I luckily got to the hospital in time before it ruptured. Also like you say on the right side.

Mark do yourself a favor and get it checked out asap. If it is appendicitis that could be fatal if not fixed. They will rupture inside of you if not treated.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 AM

That Scion Blue is what i was considering painting my truck once i do all the fiberglass, but at the same time i don't want a nice sharp color like that because my truck is essentially a bush truck. Hope your feelin better buddy!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Mark hope everything is alright. Your situation sounds like what I had about 3 years ago. Appendicitis. I luckily got to the hospital in time before it ruptured. Also like you say on the right side.

Mark do yourself a favor and get it checked out asap. If it is appendicitis that could be fatal if not fixed. They will rupture inside of you if not treated.
X2... get yourself checked out dude an ounce of prevention is worth the $...

and let us know what the news is when you can...

Last edited by aviator; 12-17-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 AM

Thanks so much for the concern, guys! I'll update more tomorrow, but it looks as though the massive trauma I sustained in that accident in 2002 is partly responsible , or at least it seems so, so far. I just don't know enough yet, but I will update y'all as soon as I know more. Sure was a scary night.... I'm still having mild pain/tightness , but it doesn't appear to be the appendix.

The Update on the other thing will have to wait at least another day until I can be a little more sure of what I might have found. Again, it is not related to a swap. It's more about troubleshooting.

Thanks again, guys... I really appreciate it the kind thoughts and concern.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear your feeling a little better and it wasn't your appendix! Take care man!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Glad to hear your feeling a little better and it wasn't your appendix! Take care man!
Thanks Ed! I would say a little better is accurate... I've not been myself since that morning. Obviously, much of it I'm sure is just the concern and not knowing for sure what's going on... I've been through enough for that, I thought, already, with everything in the last few years... I guess I thought wrong! Lol. But not having that same level of pain again will be a good thing... I am rooting for that result! Hahaha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 12-18-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 PM

This is an unofficial-kinda-sorta-not gonna hold my breath though-update... haha... :

I will just let the videos do the talking as I'm pretty exhausted... I need to get as much rest as possible right now I guess, especially since I ran around much of the day and then did dinner... I'm just pretty much done!

I will just add that this, if it's actually the case, is really blowing my mind. I've been through all of these things several times and swapped in more than one... Anyway, here it goes....

Old 12-19-2013, 11:16 AM

See above videos for "GREMLIN HUNT" updates....

Also wanted to add that it rained much of this morning... And I can't find a single drop. Scratching head and stroking goatee in a baffled manner. I think it just didn't rain hard enough. I really need to test the windshield soon as I have a feeling it's going to be a wet winter. I also need to get those clips Terry was mentioning!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or the ECU was the reason for the leak, too...
Old 12-19-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Or the ECU was the reason for the leak, too...
MAYBEEEE! Hmmmm, maybe it's causing my feet to hurt as well! Haha.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:52 PM

So you like my computer! Hmmm wonder what I should charge for letting you use it? Lol, jk, jk!

Mark that is great, glad to hear some relief after all these years of frustration. I hope two things, one that it keeps working for you and second that you find me another one just as good.

Also on your leak; I found my carpet wet and in a rain storm traced it to a crease in the sheet metal where the hood hinge penetrates the firewall/cowl. The water was dripping onto the wiring harness and into the carpet adjacent to where the clutch salve cylinder penetrates the firewall. I sealed the crease with some silicone rubber and problem solved.

Morgan
Old 12-20-2013, 10:22 AM

Hey Morgan, THANKS! I appreciate the kind words and concern the other day as well, and those prayers are always appreciated!

I still very apprehensive in saying that its sussed/ problem solved / stuvo / "The doors are locked, the lights are out and the butter's in the fridge gettin hard!" .... haha. ... I have literally spent... Well, I have no idea exactly, but I would say its at least a couple hundred hours,... chasing the tale of this stupid gremlin/(more like THESE STUPID MIND BOGGLING GREMLINS!!!!) LOL......

It's been very clever at it's morphin the other things at times when I thought I'd had it solved ... It's really a shame that I have become so MENTAL through the beautiful system of OBD1... But then its got much of the, quote, newer generation stuff, that came out on the heels of the simple combustion engines I was used to screwing with... Even TBI.... And yet its diagnostics are crappy enough that some of the worst and most annoying gremlins, many of which caused me serious trouble with mileage and so forth... They never throw a code! Aside from the O2 sensor going bad, you know what my first code with this dang thing was? It was actually not a code for my truck at all. What do I mean? Well, as I think I mentioned just recently, the dealership asked me to get another ECU, if I could get one to borrow for free... We put it in, started it up, and it ran smoothly... But it immediately threw knock sensor and oxygen sensor codes. Turned out it was a 1988 ECU... Which has different knock sensor and oxygen sensor readings. Because the label was damaged we couldn't tell the part number... I finally concluded but it had to be wrong and put in my original one again and away with the codes... And I drove away just completely giving up at that time on whatever was wrong. (IT ONLY RAN SMOOTHLY with the other ecu in there.....cuz IT NEVER LEFT OPEN LOOP! Lol)

One way or another, this thing has either had a miss or a strange idling down syndrome .......along with a miss, ever since I first pulled out the original motor at 254 thousand miles.

I almost feel as though just talking about this is a form of declaration that my problems are over... And boy will those little buggers be laughing at me at midnight when they get doused with water ! Hahaha..... I'm not superstitious and I don't believe in luck... I guess I can just have Hope on this one, because, well, I spent so much time chasing it that I don't remember half of what I did and I'm pretty much done fighting it to the point that I would rather start my engine swap than spend another hour digging into resistance ratings or otherwise! Hahaha

(Trust me, guys, I am perfectly aware that a swap not only comes with its own basket up Rubik's cubes... But on top of that, any engine I get could have its own drama, within the wiring or sensors or otherwise.)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
You did a great job on the hood. When is Marks Collision Shop going to be open for business? Glad you mentioned about the batteries. I have had to replace 2 batteries on my runners and now the 3rd gens battery is getting weak. 8 years old so guess I cant complain about it.

Your grandkid is growing quick. They dont stay small for long. Finally may have the gremlin evicted huh? Maybe it will stay gone.

I stopped by the my windshield shop he can get you the kit. He said it was $19.95 and figured about $3 shipping. I didnt have time to look up the kit but said to give him a call.

His name is Bill.
McDonald County Glass&Mirror.
417-845-7265

He has doen about 5 windshields for me and has always done great. He was saying that windshields are expensive and if shipping doesnt kill him, he has thought of shipping windshields. That is still under development. I know I am suprised at the cost for me to get them put in for me by him. I cant complain. I know you arent needing a windshield, but just in case.

If you have a leak, pull the windshield and do the cleaning of the windshield channel yourself, it will save on cost. He might could even send you some sealant. It is just plastic clips. I wont pull the trim off myself as it is difficult. I have watched them each time and it is a pain. They charge me $10 to pull the trim and then pull the windshield when I get home to fix the channel.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-20-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Hey Chef, I forgot to mention that the body crease that was leaking is under the front fresh air cowl that the windshield wipers stick through.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Happy firat day of winter Mark et al.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread